Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Frogfingers posted:

Don't be wilfully dense

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Amethyst posted:

Ok, what point is worth putting that kind of thing in a public place, or broadcasting it?

"<public figure> sucks dick and is gay" isn't the kind of thing you should throw around for a joke.

The shallow characterization of Free Speech they are ostensibly critiquing here is a straw man, and Leyonhjelm is well within reason to call that poo poo out.

If you're offended by something as a joke, don't read it

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Ok, what point is worth putting that kind of thing in a public place, or broadcasting it?

"<public figure> sucks dick and is gay" isn't the kind of thing you should throw around for a joke.

The shallow characterization of Free Speech they are ostensibly critiquing here is a straw man, and Leyonhjelm is well within reason to call that poo poo out.

The point that it shouldn't be allowed in the first place? because it's offensive?

The original slogans were just "girl/slut/etc." instead of DL. The point is that the they are both offensive but DL has a double standard in saying one is "funny" and acceptable while the other isn't. Isn't that obvious?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-28/wicked-campers-funny-senator-leyonhjelm-says/7366542

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Lol ironic racism

Edit: i mean lol ironic rape culture

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Best Part:

quote:

Wicked Campers slogans are 'funny', Senator says

But Senator Leyonhjelm said the company had done nothing wrong.

"They make some very funny statements, which obviously have sexual connotations," Senator Leyonhjelm said.

"But surprise, surprise sexual connotations are part of life.

Wicked slogans 'gain free publicity'

Wicked Campers do not use slogans like "suck away" to promote sexism, but instead gain free publicity, a media commentator says.
"You need to be a particularly wowserish type of person to not find them funny."

Apparently sexual connotations are part of life unless they're HOMOSEXUAL sexual connotations, then it's highly inappropriate.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's all fair. Both sides get to be hypocrites.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

MonoAus posted:

Best Part:

Apparently sexual connotations are part of life unless they're HOMOSEXUAL sexual connotations, then it's highly inappropriate.

David lyonhelm, a particularly wowserish type of person

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
How is saying Leyjonhelm might like a cock in his mouth in any way homophobic? You can't just use the term to mean something it doesn't because you might think it is a good comeback against those dastardly SJWs

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's homophobic because it's tarring gay sex by associating it with David Leyonhjelm.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Is AusPol always like this? With the YOSPOS shitposter coming into dance around like a fool?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yes.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It's only homophobic if you believe a guy having a cock in his mouth is evil and wrong, in which case it's a great way to identify actual homophobes.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gridlocked posted:

Is AusPol always like this? With the YOSPOS shitposter coming into dance around like a fool?

I tend not to dance since I am fat and get breathless very quickly

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Sometimes other shitposters come to dance too.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MonoAus posted:

Sometimes other shitposters come to dance too.

:whatup:

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
The chaser van skit was painfully unfunny. They deliberately misinterpreted what Leyjonhelm said and then harassed him with a lovely strawman.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I am the king of the shitposters.

They call me King Dave and I ride the poo poo waves.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

thatfatkid posted:

The chaser van skit was painfully unfunny. They deliberately misinterpreted what Leyjonhelm said and then harassed him with a lovely strawman.

Don't sign your posts.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

thatfatkid posted:

Isn't this literally exactly what Leyonhjelm does though?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

John Safran did it better.

hooman posted:

You could probably make an argument that writing stupid poo poo on the side of a van and driving it around is different to writing stupid poo poo on the side of a van and deliberately using it to harass someone.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 30, 2016

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

starkebn posted:

How is saying Leyjonhelm might like a cock in his mouth in any way homophobic? You can't just use the term to mean something it doesn't because you might think it is a good comeback against those dastardly SJWs

Now THIS is willfully dense.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

hooman posted:

Wait outside peoples houses hoping to catch them out doing something hypocritical on video only to be told to gently caress off?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thatfatkid posted:

How did they misinterpret what he said?

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

thatfatkid posted:

Wait outside peoples houses hoping to catch them out doing something hypocritical on video only to be told to gently caress off?

The ABC

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

thatfatkid posted:

How does one get harassed by written words? Seems like he chose to get offended by it. :smugdog:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Talking about a homosexual act without a moral judgement of it is not homophobic

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Frogmanv2 posted:

How did they misinterpret what he said?

The premise of the skit was that the chaser crew assumed that Leyjonhelm was only for free speech when it had no consequences against him. The chaser people then show that we he said about the backpacker vans has consequences via the skit with the hope that he will be outed as a hypocrite. This doesn't happen so they just act like wankers outside his house in an attempt to provoke a response. It really was a petty and childish skit.

Tokamak posted:

How does one get harassed by written words? Seems like he chose to get offended by it. :smugdog:

See above.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

thatfatkid posted:

Here's what the misinterpreted:

quote:

"Wicked Camper Vans are funny"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

thatfatkid posted:

The premise of the skit was that the chaser crew assumed that Leyjonhelm was only for free speech when it had no consequences against him. The chaser people then show that we he said about the backpacker vans has consequences via the skit with the hope that he will be outed as a hypocrite. This doesn't happen so they just act like wankers outside his house in an attempt to provoke a response. It really was a petty and childish skit.

This is exactly what happened?

Amethyst posted:

Now THIS is willfully dense.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

MysticalMachineGun posted:

This is exactly what happened?

How was he outed as a hypocrite about free speech? All he did was told them to gently caress off.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

thatfatkid posted:

See above.

His reaction does out him as a hypocrite.

edit: Angrily telling them to gently caress off then complaining about this on social media is exactly what he was complaining about other people doing in that ABC article.

starkebn posted:

Talking about a homosexual act without a moral judgement of it is not homophobic

It's almost as if context has something to do with this...

MonoAus fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 30, 2016

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

thatfatkid posted:

How was he outed as a hypocrite about free speech? All he did was told them to gently caress off.

He said "Wicked camper vans are funny, people should just harden the gently caress up and stop being so PC"

Confronted with a van with exactly the same jokes except he was the target, he suddenly didn't find them funny anymore.

https://twitter.com/DavidLeyonhjelm/status/748116682489495552

Can I link you to the definition of hypocrisy or do you think it's that thing doctor's swear to?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

If you can explain how the context makes this homophobic then I might agree with you, but I'm not seeing it.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Jesus the moral of the skit was to say that its easy to say people are easily offended or wowserish if you aren't the target of a joke. Drysdale and Lodge turned Lionhat's words against him and made him the target of the van's sexual aggression (not gay people) and proved their point. The skit was both petty and sophisticated in a satisfyingly hilarious way. It wouldn't have happened if Bikehelm had just said something about defending free speech, and not said something targeting people who are understandably unhappy with the vans, but he did so this happened. It wasn't a strawman, he specifically said that people who didn't like the van were thin-skinned, so him being targeted in the skit (and predictably getting upset about it) is just-desserts.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

starkebn posted:

If you can explain how the context makes this homophobic then I might agree with you, but I'm not seeing it.

It's not. That's the point. I'm agreeing with you.

If the slogan was something like "DL is gay LOL" I might agree it's homophobic. It wasn't. The joke here is that the slogan imitates the original Wicked Camper slogans, not that DL likes cocks in his mouth.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

starkebn posted:

It seems pretty homophobic to me because it's clearly denigrating Lionhelm by saying that he likes cocks in his mouth. Unless people really think that by painting it on a car for everyone to read is truly moral and value neutral? It's flat out using the act of sucking a dick as a pejorative insult.

Of course, I'm also well behind on whatever wave of progressive stuff we're on.

edit: So people are saying it imitates the noted sexist Wicked vehicles but somehow... isn't this time?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

MonoAus posted:

It's not. That's the point. I'm agreeing with you.

If the slogan was something like "DL is gay LOL" I might agree it's homophobic. It wasn't. The joke here is that the slogan imitates the original Wicked Camper slogans, not that DL likes cocks in his mouth.

Cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Was there a Wicked Camper that used the cock in mouth 'joke'?

• Locked thread