Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
In a workplace setting, someone writes 'I'm as happy as [Insert Name Here] with a cock in his mouth' for everyone to see it.

This is not homophobic, because...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Was there a Wicked Camper that used the cock in mouth 'joke'?

Yes. There was also one with an egg loving a chicken, they're pretty vile.

Milky Moor posted:

It seems pretty homophobic to me because it's clearly denigrating Lionhelm by saying that he likes cocks in his mouth. Unless people really think that by painting it on a car for everyone to read is truly moral and value neutral? It's flat out using the act of sucking a dick as a pejorative insult.

The original quote was directed at women in general. Now it's directed at David to prove his hypocrisy. How is it homophobic?

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Because the context of the joke here is that it imitates the Wicked Camper slogan and reflects it back on to DL, not that DL is gay.

The joke is showing DL up for being offended when he's the target of a questionable "joke".

Taken without context, yes it's homophobic.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

starkebn posted:

Talking about a homosexual act without a moral judgement of it is not homophobic

Ok, you cocksucking homo.

e: I felt bad typing the above. lol.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

In a workplace setting, someone writes 'I'm as happy as [Insert Name Here] with a cock in his mouth' for everyone to see it.

Because they lifted all the phrases from the vans and replaced woman/girl/daughter/princess/whatever in the phrase with Lionface's name instead. They showed the vans in the skit so people could infer what they meant. He called the people who were unhappy with the sexual aggression of the van thin-skinned, and now, when they targeted him with the same aggression in a similar context its no longer very funny to him.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Was there a Wicked Camper that used the cock in mouth 'joke'?

Yes lmao

I mean like all they changed was that Lolohelm was the target of the slogans. I'm really disappointed in a few posters here who are using some actual faux-outrage but I could promise you forums poster thatfatkid or someone else hasn't attended a rally or protests in support of Safe Schools or LGBTIQ equality.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Amethyst posted:

I don't even own a television.

if only you didn't own a computer

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

What you're missing here is that in this case, it's

Milky Moor posted:

David from accounting says [Insert Name Here] should harden up, it's just a funny joke.

Someone else then writes 'I'm as happy as David with a cock in his mouth'.

David then complains to HR and has a cry.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Nice meltdown Amethyst

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Yes. There was also one with an egg loving a chicken, they're pretty vile.

Ah, I wasn't able to find that particular one so it looked like the Chaser had come up with it themselves.

If they're just using Wicked Campers' original jokes and substituting Lionhelm's name, then it's a fine and good joke.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Recoome posted:

Nice meltdown Amethyst

I am calm and cool as a lake, in actual fact. It is you, the dumb one, who is melting down.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

How about the problem of saying "These slogans are offensive, they should stop using them" then using the same slogans with the direct purpose of offending someone?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

How about the problem of saying "These slogans are offensive, they should stop using them" then using the same slogans with the direct purpose of offending someone?

How about the problem of your posting?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I'm sure every reasonable person can see both sides of the argument here, no need to clarify it further. The only thing that remains is whether or not you think the offensiveness inherent in the chaser joke is proportionate to the point being made.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Can we swap Amethyst for LibertyCat?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Snod. posted:

Can we swap Amethyst for LibertyCat?

Can you swap your bed for a grave?

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Doesn't sound comfortable

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Amoeba102 posted:

The Chaser aren't being inconsistent here - they believe the vans are offensive, so they've used them against someone who says the vans aren't offensive.

It is a bit of a grey area, but it'd be a lot less defensible if they drove them around the Sydney CBD or what have you. By taking the van directly to Lionhat (and I assume getting rid of it afterwards) it's not like it's still rolling around the streets offending people like Wicked vans are.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

What you're missing here is that in this case, it's

Someone Else would probably get pulled up on it, don't be daft (as would all people involved).

Statements aren't value neutral, no matter how much you dislike the person being insulted.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Amethyst posted:

I'm sure every reasonable person can see both sides of the argument here, no need to clarify it further. The only thing that remains is whether or not you think the human rights violations inherent in the immigration policy is proportionate to the benefit of having secure borders.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Jonah Galtberg posted:

How about the problem of your posting?

Should be a law against it.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Chaser is still pretty poo poo though.
CNNNN was good.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Nice non sequitur, I guess.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

QUACKTASTIC posted:

CNNNN was good.

Actually the election desk is stupid and boring. Too many cooks.

e: wait I misread this lol.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

Someone Else would probably get pulled up on it, don't be daft (as would all people involved).

I never said they wouldn't, and Wicked vans have gotten in trouble before. Legionnaire came out unprompted in their defence.

Milky Moor posted:

Statements aren't value neutral, no matter how much you dislike the person being insulted.

So if a friend of yours was out, and you said "I'm as happy as <friend> with a cock in his mouth" would that be homophobic?

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

So if a friend of yours was out, and you said "I'm as happy as <friend> with a cock in his mouth" would that be homophobic?

What if the friend is female?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

QUACKTASTIC posted:

CNNNN was good.

Having Micallef as a lead in just makes it worse.

The fact they still try to do their pranks when everyone knows them by sight is just sad. Why did we need to see Chas getting marched out? It wasn't funny or prove any points whatsoever.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ah yes, this is completely analogous to the situation at hand.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

i'm gay

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The Chaser aren't being inconsistent here - they believe the vans are offensive, so they've used them against someone who says the vans aren't offensive.

It is a bit of a grey area, but it'd be a lot less defensible if they drove them around the Sydney CBD or what have you. By taking the van directly to Lionhat (and I assume getting rid of it afterwards) it's not like it's still rolling around the streets offending people like Wicked vans are.

Yeah, I can't quite agree with that. It's a compromise on morals to prove a point. I'd still say it was hypocritical.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Hmmm *steeples fingers*. I guess you could say that calling someone a cock sucker loudly, in public, may be construed as homophobic, given certain contingencies. But consider this: what if you didn't call them a cock sucker loudly, or in public, but in a private situation with personally agreed upon standards of civility? Hmmmm?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Snod. posted:

What if the friend is female?

Exactly! Implication matters. I think the implication here was to make Lionelmessi out as a hypocrite and nothing more. You would need to be commenting on whether you approve or disapprove of dudes gettin' down on the dong for it to be homophobic.

If it were a woman, it would be seen as slut-shaming (or in the Wicked vans sense, implying that all women are sluts).

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Amethyst posted:

Ah yes, this is completely analogous to the situation at hand.

As much as this?

Amethyst posted:

Ok, you cocksucking homo.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

As much as this?

Why do you think I edited that comment

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If you have to explain a joke, it wasnt funny and it wasnt good.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Amethyst posted:

Why do you think I edited that comment

You didn't edit it in a way that made it any better.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

You didn't edit it in a way that made it any better.

I did, actually. You are an automaton moron if you need me to explain why.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah, I can't quite agree with that. It's a compromise on morals to prove a point. I'd still say it was hypocritical.

It's literally, "How would you like it if someone did that to you?" nothing more.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Come on, man, you're smarter than this. This is giving me real shades of "If a black guy said..."

It's like you're acting like the statement is directly analogous to something like "I'm as happy with David Leyonhjelm with a cake in his mouth". Somehow I don't think putting that on a van would have much effect, and I'm not sure why that is!

Exactly! Implication matters. I think the implication here was to make Lionelmessi out as a hypocrite and nothing more. You would need to be commenting on whether you approve or disapprove of dudes gettin' down on the dong for it to be homophobic.

The disapproval is implicit.

Like, good work guys, you proved that noted idiot Lionhelm is a hypocrite, but at the cost of making a joke that he's bad because he sucks dicks! Haha! Aces! Youth culture forever!

I'm sure there are things - like, I don't know, lies or stupid things Lionhelm has said in the business of being a Senator, things that he'd get equally lovely over - that they could plaster on the side of van that doesn't carry all this additional mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Alright, quick poll:

"The best thing about oral sex from David Libertycat - five minutes of silence"

vs

"I'm as happy as David Libertybell with a cock in his mouth"

Since the first one doesn't directly imply gay sex it's all good in your opinion, yeah?

• Locked thread