Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's Steam Sale time! Odd that Mare Nostrum isn't on sale while Stellaris is, though. Is it worth buying it at full price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elman posted:

I'm thinking of starting an Aztec run to aim for the achievement, is that wise? I've never really played Central Americans and I heard they're harder now, with Corruption and everything.

I guess I wanna rush exploration and try to reform my religion as much as possible by the time the Euros get there and I westernize?

Yes, estates and corruption together make Central America much more difficult. Things might become easier when the new technology changes come down the pipe, but I'm not sure when that will be. Depending on what patch you play on, you might also be more likely to have a less aggressive Portugal, Spain, or France knocking on your door. Europe is less of a Sure Thing for those countries in the more recent patches.

But even if you playing on a version pre-corruption and pre-estates, the whole situation is quite dicey. Your tech group is so bad that you may be better off not researching any admin techs before Westernizing, since you get free techs when you reform your religion anyway. You absolutely must completely reform your religion before Portugal shows up to gently caress you. It's a balancing game between annexing portions of potential vassals so as to keep them weak but not taking too much because the doomsday rate is higher for every province that you've annexed. Once you've passed 2 out of the 5 reforms the rate becomes manageable enough that victory is inevitable, and then you can spend time focusing on annexing everything as fast as possible.

The reforms give you a colonist, so that's a good way to expand. By the time that you've fully formed you should be making crazy money from your gold provinces, so colonization with just 1 colonist should still be pretty rapid. If you have the spare Admin points to get Exploration before the Europeans arrive then that can be great, but coring all of those central american provinces can take up a lot of admin

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

toasterwarrior posted:

It's Steam Sale time! Odd that Mare Nostrum isn't on sale while Stellaris is, though. Is it worth buying it at full price?

It's good if you want to play as a peaceful country (hiring out condottieri is very nice), or if you want to manage a massive fleet. But I'm managing a massive fleet in my current game and I'm still waiting for a sale anyway.

Speaking of which, I want to say that seeing several DLCs being -66% on Steam while the Paradox Plaza shop sale had them at -50% literally two weeks ago soured me quite a bit on buying stuff from their own shop. Why even have your own quaint little obscure shop, if you're going to offer worse prices than the convenient megastore next door?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

I would not pay full price for Mare Nostrum, but that's just my 2c

Stellaris is good if you're into Paradox games, but the mid/late game are pretty empty and slow right now. There's a lot of room for improvement from DLCs and patching but you'll get at least a good 20 hours of gameplay figuring it out.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

The other pro tip for an Aztec run is to dump most of the MPs you'd normally spend on tech into developing your provinces.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Cool, thanks guys. Sounds like there isn't much fervor about EU4 right now, which is a shame since I kinda wanted to get back to it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

Cool, thanks guys. Sounds like there isn't much fervor about EU4 right now, which is a shame since I kinda wanted to get back to it.

I mean, Paradox just released two games in one month so that's to be expected.

Thanks for the Aztec advice, I'll give it a shot.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
if you want to buy stellaris just buy distant wolrds instead

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
no tux no bux tho

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I just formed the mughals and am so so rich suddenly. Can't wait to get stomped in by the white man

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

pointsofdata posted:

I just formed the mughals and am so so rich suddenly. Can't wait to stomp the white man

Ftfy

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Liege tips? Aachen is a free city so attacking them will call in Austria, and everything else is burgundy or a burgundy vassal - and if the Inheritance happens it's all Austrian, boxing you in completely.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Elman posted:

I mean, Paradox just released two games in one month so that's to be expected.

Thanks for the Aztec advice, I'll give it a shot.

My progress so far:

It's not too bad, but I only westernized in the 1580s after France wrecked me so it's gonna be a while before I can face the Europeans. The real problem is France has Spain in a PU, and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to break them.

France's just too ridiculous these days. You never get a semi-historical Europe like you used to, since France just goes wild all over Spain and England and there's nothing you can do about it :(

Elman fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 26, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Holy poo poo, France-Spain PU? That's some crazy bad luck. If they're allied with a bunch of other big powers or don't have any serious rivals then that might be the end of your Sunset Invasion attempt. You never know what might happen though and I think your progress looks excellent.

Any chance that you can take the Caribbean from Portugal? There are a lot of high value provinces in that region

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Any chance that you can take the Caribbean from Portugal? There are a lot of high value provinces in that region

Portugal is allied to France and Spain :v:

Good news is the Caribbean is actually independent now, though they're allied to England. I think that might be doable, although my military tech still sucks and my fleet definitely can't deal with England's.

It's worth a shot I suppose, England will get distracted eventually.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
So I bought all the expansions on the steam sale after enjoying (and being bad at) the base game for about a month and it's now even more confusing

Will allies no longer go to war without territory promises or favors, even against a mutual rival?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Very occasionally they will, but basically they want stuff now, which is good.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

pdxjohan posted:

He's not at the helm. I'm still in charge of design, with Anona replacing Wiz as project manager. Jake is junior designer, sitting with the team. His first feature is ruler personalities, and he is working on design proposals for the 1.20 patch.

Conquest of Paradise, Wealth of Nations, Res Publica & Art of War was my design.

El Dorado, Common Sense, Cossacks & Mare Nostrum was design by me and Wiz.

1.18 is 95% my design, and I hope Jake will contribute 50% by 1.20.

Thanks Johan

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Elman posted:

My progress so far:

It's not too bad, but I only westernized in the 1580s after France wrecked me so it's gonna be a while before I can face the Europeans. The real problem is France has Spain in a PU, and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to break them.

France's just too ridiculous these days. You never get a semi-historical Europe like you used to, since France just goes wild all over Spain and England and there's nothing you can do about it :(

Depends on the game. I just played one as Ottomans and France got completely eaten up by Aragon, Brittany, and England. I think they have three provinces left in Europe, one of which is permanently held by revolutionary rebels.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

France should do worse now that it and Austria can't form an unholy alliance, right? That always seemed to be the most frequent cause of French invincibility before.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jazerus posted:

France should do worse now that it and Austria can't form an unholy alliance, right? That always seemed to be the most frequent cause of French invincibility before.

is that a thing? in my most recent Castile/Spain game, Austria and France were allied which prevented me from trying an early war on France to break them up, then France later switched to allying the Ottomans. since the Ottomans were allied with one or more North African nations and there's strait access across Gibraltar, that pretty much stopped me attacking France since the Ottomans could march their armies to attack me from North Africa. fat loving chance I'm going to take on France + Ottomans without naval superiority.

I sort of hope that's something addressed by the new Great Powers mechanic, I would rather the penalty for allying other Great Powers be steep so you don't have absurd power blocs forming.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

is that a thing? in my most recent Castile/Spain game, Austria and France were allied which prevented me from trying an early war on France to break them up, then France later switched to allying the Ottomans. since the Ottomans were allied with one or more North African nations and there's strait access across Gibraltar, that pretty much stopped me attacking France since the Ottomans could march their armies to attack me from North Africa. fat loving chance I'm going to take on France + Ottomans without naval superiority.

I sort of hope that's something addressed by the new Great Powers mechanic, I would rather the penalty for allying other Great Powers be steep so you don't have absurd power blocs forming.

I think so but I haven't played in a while so maybe it's an upcoming change. France and Austria have/will have a historical enemies opinion modifier to make it much less likely.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jazerus posted:

I think so but I haven't played in a while so maybe it's an upcoming change. France and Austria have/will have a historical enemies opinion modifier to make it much less likely.

I just checked my current game and they have the historical enemies modifier, but they definitely started the game allied against me (Castile), Burgundy, and Aragon. Maybe I just got boned by the RNG since the starting situation was Castile + Aragon + Burgundy vs. France + Austria (England allied to Austria but not France).

Edit: really the current problem is that Castile and the Iberians in general are extremely weak right now. France and the North African nations (one or more of whom are often allied with the Ottomans, who now have a land route through Gibraltar) can easily run a train on Castile.

Edit2: also I'd suggest giving France more serious disasters. They're ahistorically centralized and stable at the start, the old setups where France had a bunch of vassals they needed to integrate was probably more realistic. I have literally never seen the French wars of religion disaster fire, and they should probably have a civil war event (something like the Fronde) too. As it stands now they're once again the Big Blue Blob juggernaut that is unstoppable unless you luck out on early alliances allowing you to crush them in their infancy.

Like it's weird to me that War of the Roses almost always triggers for England, but France only rarely experiences the French Wars of Religion.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 28, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Just checked and French Wars of Religion disaster only progresses if France has less than 75% Religious Unity before 1600. Which is vanishingly unlikely in your typical playthrough. Let it fire if they have 2-3+ Protestant or Reformed provinces.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

PittTheElder posted:

Very occasionally they will, but basically they want stuff now, which is good.

Just to be clear, my allies need to have decided on their own that they want the target's provinces, right?

That is, I cannot actively do anything to entice them into a given war besides accumulating favors and raising trust (and maybe financing them to get them out of debt, if applicable)?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

Just to be clear, my allies need to have decided on their own that they want the target's provinces, right?

That is, I cannot actively do anything to entice them into a given war besides accumulating favors and raising trust (and maybe financing them to get them out of debt, if applicable)?

Correct.

You may pay 10 Favors to call an ally to war, OR you can promise them territory. If they want land from the target, they'll join without spending any Favors but will also expect you to give them land in the peace settlement. If you offer them land to enter the war then don't reward them with any, you'll lose Trust.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You also won't be able to promise territory to any allies for 20(?) years.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So I kept going and I'm doing ok, I'm catching up in tech and I'm even beating the UK right now!

I... Think I'm gonna consider this a learning experience and try again later though.

Elman fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 28, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Weird that Burgundy still exists in that game

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Yes, if you have the right DLC you can go to this tab in the diplomatic view to see what provinces they are interested in:

You can also go to that tab in the diplomatic screen for your own country and click on provinces to tell the AI that you want them. If your ally calls you into their war they are quite likely to give you a few of those provided you have actually done significant work in the war. Be careful about expressing interest in provinces your ally is also interested in as the AI has figured out that countries with conflicting interests are not natural allies.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

Weird that Burgundy still exists in that game
The AI does not seem to care about pretty borders. Hopefully this is something Johan/DDRJake can fix! I was hoping that the States mechanic would fix it.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Bort Bortles posted:

The AI does not seem to care about pretty borders. Hopefully this is something Johan/DDRJake can fix! I was hoping that the States mechanic would fix it.

I don't think you can teach a computer OCD

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

super fart shooter posted:

I don't think you can teach a computer OCD
There is probably something in graph theory should allow teaching computers to make pretty borders.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
My gf bought me Wealth of Nations and other DLC as a gift, which is sweet. It also borked my Ironman Castile run, which is ugh.

Love hurts.

So, two questions: what ware the buildings/ improvements you usually purchase in your games? I always get the Markets on provinces that have trade centers, and temples where they'll bring more than 0.20 gold a month. Other than that, though, it feels like most benefits are...not that great. The stuff that lowers Unrest takes so long to work that you might as well reduce autonomy, stamp down the revolt, and pacify the place for a while.

Likewise, developing provinces seems a very extravagant use of points. If your current ruler is godly and the heir is also good, I can see it. Otherwise, might as well boost tech, get good generals and explorers, etc.

Finally, when did they remove the Hansa from the game? I was going for a merchant game to try out WoN and couldn't find it. It was one of my most fun Baltic runs, too. Swallowed all the coast, most of Holland and Austria, and had so much money that building the strait was a minor expense.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sephyr posted:

My gf bought me Wealth of Nations and other DLC as a gift, which is sweet. It also borked my Ironman Castile run, which is ugh.

Love hurts.

So, two questions: what ware the buildings/ improvements you usually purchase in your games? I always get the Markets on provinces that have trade centers, and temples where they'll bring more than 0.20 gold a month. Other than that, though, it feels like most benefits are...not that great. The stuff that lowers Unrest takes so long to work that you might as well reduce autonomy, stamp down the revolt, and pacify the place for a while.

I do basically the exact same, though sometimes I'll by barracks as well if I have the money and I want the extra manpower. Sometimes the one that increases missionary chance is necessary if you are converting religious centres. All the buildings are pretty situational, except for the ones that you listed.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Tsyni posted:

I do basically the exact same, though sometimes I'll by barracks as well if I have the money and I want the extra manpower. Sometimes the one that increases missionary chance is necessary if you are converting religious centres. All the buildings are pretty situational, except for the ones that you listed.

Good to know I'm not the only one. The manufactories in particular can be a hard choice. 500 ducats is a lot of cash for most of the game. Sure, they'll pay for themselves within 20+ years, but sometimes having good savings for a quick army or to avoid a bad random event can count for a lot more than a slightly improved trickle of income. And if you can afford building them willy-nilly, odds are you don't need to.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

:stonklol:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The only buildings I ever bother with are manpower and force limit upgrades. The money buildings usually take several decades to pay for themselves, and there's no pressing reason to spend gold on them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fister Roboto posted:

The only buildings I ever bother with are manpower and force limit upgrades. The money buildings usually take several decades to pay for themselves, and there's no pressing reason to spend gold on them.

Several decades in a game spanning centuries...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

Several decades in a game spanning centuries...

It's called living in the moment :smuggo:

• Locked thread