Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

coconono posted:

In wrestling, it's pretty much a given the new guy is going to lose. A lot. This is done nowadays as part of the learning process(it used to be straight hazing). The job for the new wrestler is to learn how to lose profitably.

With the exception of if you're someone earmarked for the top very early you don't lose cleanly from developmental until you fail a drugs test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

coconono posted:

In wrestling, it's pretty much a given the new guy is going to lose. A lot. This is done nowadays as part of the learning process(it used to be straight hazing). The job for the new wrestler is to learn how to lose profitably.

With the advent of social media that part's pretty easy. Get out there and do interesting stuff. MMA fighters are doing this too. Whether it's Sage and Paige doing flips or Bec Rawlins's butt, it keeps the fans engaged and willing to part with money.

That makes sense to me but its still seems uncontroversial to say that losing a fight is a bigger deal/bigger loss of credibility for an MMA fighter than a Pro wrestler

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
CM Punk could lose this fight and gain credibility

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

With the exception of if you're someone earmarked for the top very early you don't lose cleanly from developmental until you fail a drugs test.

I'm still confused by that whole

manyak posted:

That makes sense to me but its still seems uncontroversial to say that losing a fight is a bigger deal/bigger loss of credibility for an MMA fighter than a Pro wrestler

I'd say it's pretty dumb to talk about it when your major meal ticket faces the prospect of getting his lips knocked off.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

manyak posted:

coconono posted:

With the advent of social media that part's pretty easy. Get out there and do interesting stuff. MMA fighters are doing this too. Whether it's Sage and Paige doing flips or Bec Rawlins's butt, it keeps the fans engaged and willing to part with money.

Going back to what we said earlier a lot of it has to do with how the person deals with it because in MMA nobody is writing a narrative which involves you losing in order to fulfill the main quest boss rematch like 4 chapters later, unlike WWE

I think also that a lot of fighters are (and stann mentioned this) unprepared for the amount of exposure they can give themselves and how that affects their personal lives

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

coconono posted:

I'd say it's pretty dumb to talk about it when your major meal ticket faces the prospect of getting his lips knocked off.

Well if thats the issue then doesnt the fact that Brock is still their meal ticket despite the fact he already got murked by Cain and then embarrassed by Overeem in 2 straight fights, prove her right?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

coconono posted:

I'm still confused by that whole

It wouldn't be Brock's first bad loss

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Vince definitely does not view UFC as competition. He believes that so much, that he tried put in non-compete clauses in both CM Punk's and Alberto Del Rio's contracts.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I can't think of another sport that's more focused on what have you done for me lately than mma. Maybe boxing, but that's it

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I think it's cool that Brock Lesnar is a big enough star in wrestling that he can add a "I get to fight in the UFC" clause into his contract next to "I only work 6 days a year" and WWE had to say OK.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
Caca Maker Punk

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

projecthalaxy posted:

CM Punk is going to get punched once then crawl around on the mat crying and begging the police to help him.

Corey Graves: What do MY knuckles say? :haw:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think it's cool that Brock Lesnar is a big enough star in wrestling that he can add a "I get to fight in the UFC" clause into his contract next to "I only work 6 days a year" and WWE had to say OK.

he didn't though

he got a clausee, but only if WWE OK'd the fight

and then they ok'd Mark Hunt

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

cm punk is gonna get suspended by the nsac when the piss man comes round and punk makes him read his dumb knuckles before "owning" him

freud mayweather fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 2, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What do my knuckles say?
P U R E P I S S

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I wonder how Punk would do in a MMA bout with Minoru Suzuki. Or any beat up old Japanese shootfighter.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I don't know, I watched Robbie Lawler and Carlos Condit go to a razor tight decision and as soon as I heard Robbie won I immediately realised Condit is a terrible fighter and was never good.

Carlos realized it too and almost retired. Steph knows her poo poo.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I wonder how Punk would do in a MMA bout with Minoru Suzuki. Or any beat up old Japanese shootfighter.

he'd lose

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jerusalem posted:

Corey Graves: What do MY knuckles say? :haw:
gently caress where was that drunk looking post about Dave Meltzer someone did a few months ago

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

Carlos realized it too and almost retired. Steph knows her poo poo.

Carlos is a very good technical fighter but unable to perform well when his own mortality is threatened by robbie lawler punches.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

Punk vs Nakamura shoot fight

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Chromatic posted:

her awful "do nothing bitch" viral speech

The Drum 'n Bass community will never forgive her for #DNB.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
i think punk would be disadvantaged against any old mma fighter because there's a different level mental toughness i believe is acquired by being super afraid and tired and still believing you can win

like I hate using the phrase "impose (blank's) will" but especially with people who are new to that kind of blind, terrible aggression in combat sports like him it actually becomes a factor. like, any old japanese fighter could walk out in that match and probably have a shot stuffed easily, maybe take a couple of effortless jabs trying to cut an angle and punch, etc. and still maintain morale at least through the first 4 minutes. just those little early things that make you feel like you're a useless sack of garbage and that your opponent rocks can and often do dictate the outcome of amateur fights long before the first round is even halfway over (i believe that it's fair to consider punk's experience in mma at the same level as an amateur fighter's).

i think any fighter could come right out the gate throwing heavy shots and rushing forward with decent footwork and unless punk A. can shoot a reactive takedown, B. has a enough power in his hands to knock out or hurt the fighter enough to make them back off quickly, or C. miraculously has a great chin and can weather an early storm in a way which doesn't gimp him the rest of the match he's gonna get hosed up.

I'm pretty confident he probably won't have the footwork at this point to angle off and cleanly escape anyone with a modicum of striking training who decides to go hard before punk has the chance to automatically start to do all those things he's no doubt having a hard time remembering to implement in low speed sparring right now like distance gauging and establishing the jab and using feints to set up big shots etc. i just picture him in the center of the cage jerkily circling his opponent while he accidentally sort of mimes all the things he's thinking about doing and unconsciously mouths what his corner said to do while he imagines himself implementing the advice in his head like one of those medieval kings whose just learned how to read giving a royal decree to the court while their literate 10 year old foster daughter smiles encouragingly from the audience.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Eat Bum Zen posted:

i think punk would be disadvantaged against any old mma fighter because there's a different level mental toughness i believe is acquired by being super afraid and tired and still believing you can win

like I hate using the phrase "impose (blank's) will" but especially with people who are new to that kind of blind, terrible aggression in combat sports like him it actually becomes a factor.

I assure you that nobody who's been sparring at Duke Roufus' gym for over a year is new to blind, terrible aggression

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherdog posted:

I assure you that nobody who's been sparring at Duke Roufus' gym for over a year is new to blind, terrible aggression

That doesn't necessarily mean he'll have the tools to deal with it. Pretty Tony certainly doesn't have any besides winging looping punches.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

vainman posted:

I can't think of another sport that's more focused on what have you done for me lately than mma. Maybe boxing, but that's it
It's tough to compare it and show exact amounts but it's definitely out there in other sports. Like a week ago Steph Curry went from GOAT to "only a system player".

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

fatherdog posted:

What do you think of the rest of my analysis?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
how come some pros in danger wilt immediately and some have heart like rory or lawler or condit? i don't think you can judge his mental toughness based on experience. his real problem in my opinion is the fact that he's like 40 and just started training so he's just not gonna be any good at anything unless he's a real natural freak athlete and the quickest learner

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Eat Bum Zen posted:

What do you think of the rest of my analysis?

I think he's been training for like a year and a half full time, so none of us have any idea what he's picked up quickly or slowly and hence what he's likely to be good or bad at, and speculating on it is dumb and a waste of time. He's at a gym where they spar AKA style a whole bunch, which is probably not good for his injuries or his long term development but it does mean he's unlikely to be overwhelmed by dudes just coming out and throwing hard like it's not something he's seen before. He's probably going to lose, but that's not because of ~mental toughness~ or octagon jitters or what have you, it's because he's fighting a guy who's been fighting longer than he's been training, and training since back when Punk was in ROH.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Skip My Posts posted:

how come some pros in danger wilt immediately and some have heart like rory or lawler or condit? i don't think you can judge his mental toughness based on experience. his real problem in my opinion is the fact that he's like 40 and just started training so he's just not gonna be any good at anything unless he's a real natural freak athlete and the quickest learner

Edit: yeah I guess speculating is kind of dumb at this point

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Two Beans posted:

The Drum 'n Bass community will never forgive her for #DNB.

Hell no we won't

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

fatherdog posted:

I think he's been training for like a year and a half full time, so none of us have any idea what he's picked up quickly or slowly and hence what he's likely to be good or bad at, and speculating on it is dumb and a waste of time. He's at a gym where they spar AKA style a whole bunch, which is probably not good for his injuries or his long term development but it does mean he's unlikely to be overwhelmed by dudes just coming out and throwing hard like it's not something he's seen before. He's probably going to lose, but that's not because of ~mental toughness~ or octagon jitters or what have you, it's because he's fighting a guy who's been fighting longer than he's been training, and training since back when Punk was in ROH.

Someone should just empty quote this every few pages when people start getting antsy about the reality of Brooks' skill development, or lack there of

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
If you practice doing anything for a year and half you better be more than ok at it by the end

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
You've had your whole life to practice not saying stupid things, yet you still made that post

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Buddy let me tell you CM punk is going to win and win big

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
at what

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

making GBS threads his pants in the octagon.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Life

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

If you practice doing anything for a year and half you better be more than ok at it by the end

*does a year of psych undergrad* hmmm. Autism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

That's open to debate. I mean he made a lot of money and that is incredibly cool

• Locked thread