Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Bundt Cake posted:

I never watched diaz v mcgregor oops

it's pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

Two fights, he was checking well against conor too. And yes, he appears to be learning and growing as a fighter, I agree.

Did McConnor throw even one round leg kick

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I like how for the entire rest of his career Diazs thing was that he is always ready to fight any time, just trains to scrap and not for specific game plans, does triathalons as a hobby and eats vegetarian (?), doesnt cut crazy weight, etc etc, then finally when all of that stuff came to a head and actually perfectly benefited him in the Conor fight, no one gives him credit for it because the "He was on a boat LOL" thing makes Conor look worse

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

manyak posted:

I like how for the entire rest of his career Diazs thing was that he is always ready to fight any time, just trains to scrap and not for specific game plans, does triathalons as a hobby and eats vegetarian (?), doesnt cut crazy weight, etc etc, then finally when all of that stuff came to a head and actually perfectly benefited him in the Conor fight, no one gives him credit for it because the "He was on a boat LOL" thing makes Conor look worse

But people have pointed that out many times.

Also, he was on a boat in Mexico.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Actually the thing that makes Conor look worse is that he lost to Nate Diaz lmao

e: Jose aldo got knocked out in one punch by a guy who got his rear end kicked by NATE DIAZ

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dangersim posted:

Sure if "consistenly" means exactly one fight, right after the one where he took one of the most uncomfortable to watch leg kick beatings of all time.

Edson Barboza has kicked people until they can't even stand anymore. Jose Aldo turned Urijah Faber's leg into paste barely held together by skin. Saying that Nate suffered one of the most uncomfortable beatings is overstating things to a ridiculous degree.

I honestly hope that Conor comes in with a great gameplan built on kicks and not headhunting, and still gets his rear end whooped because he doesn't have the reach advantage and Nate will have actually had sparring time.

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016

TheUltimateDoofus posted:

Did McConnor throw even one round leg kick

I've researched it and the answer is yes. Conor threw one (1) leg kick and it was not checked. What a fuckin' fight though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
mewse, if you want help editing that down, PM me.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

a lot of really good guys got their rear end kicked by nate. he's one of he best fighters in the ufc but ok

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

manyak posted:

I agree that Nate deserves credit for being a mentally tough guy who doesnt take long breaks or lose his powers if he takes a private flight. But Im also in favor of making fun of conor. So Im torn

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Google Butt posted:

a lot of really good guys got their rear end kicked by nate. he's one of he best fighters in the ufc but ok

It seems like a stretch to say hes one of the best because of his losses but like Nick his style is always gonna give certain fighters fits, i think he'd still beat cerrone imo and hes on a tear right now

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bundt Cake posted:

I agree that Nate deserves credit for being a mentally tough guy who doesnt take long breaks or lose his powers if he takes a private flight. But Im also in favor of making fun of conor. So Im torn

I respect that

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

manyak posted:

It seems like a stretch to say hes one of the best because of his losses but like Nick his style is always gonna give certain fighters fits, i think he'd still beat cerrone imo and hes on a tear right now

if nate and cerrone win I want to see the rematch

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Im not sure how good I think Nate is. His initial submission streak was awesome, which he sorta needed cuz it seemed like manvel gamburyan probably couldve lay n prayed him if he didnt have a chronic shoulder injury. then at the gomi fight he super surprised me with his wrestling and punching, which I think got really good while he was struggling. Hes been pretty bad rear end since then. To me Thomson was a great fighter so I dont really think it means Nate sucks to get owned by him.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

manyak posted:

Yeah, Nate is a guy who will rip you up if you come in with a bad gameplan and is gonna give some guys a huge stylistic problem, but if you look at his record it's more like "high level gatekeeper" than "one of the best fighters in the UFC"

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
you gotta give him contender. hes better than a gatekeeper

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

It's been said a lot, but he looked much improved in the Johnson fight, and it looked like he maintained that in the conor fight. Really curious to see if he continues to improve even though he's pretty deep into his career

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
nate is the best fighter to lose to joe daddy stevenson

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

McGregor is fighting out of his weight class against a better boxer, wrestler, and jiu jitsu practitioner who will have the benefit of actually training for the rematch of the fight which he hilariously won the first time.

Meanwhile McGregor has been loving around on Twitter pretending he's not mad for loving real stop it you guys haha I was just kidding, I don't need your money dad I'll fight Mayweather and make millions or maybe mom's new boyfriend Steven will give me money.

Jesus give me a break.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Joe Daddy ruled

I liked Drew Fickett, too. Guys who are elite at exactly 1 thing are cool

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Bundt Cake posted:

High level gatekeeper and contender is essentially the same thing

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

I dunno, might be semantics at this point (I mean he is literally a former contender since he got a title shot, even if he got hilariously owned in it) but when I look back at hist 155 record the dudes that went on to title shots and top 5 rankings beat him fairly easily, whereas all the guys who lost to him put together strings of mixed wins and losses afterwards and bummed around the midcard - that's what I think of as "high level gatekeeper". I might just be thinking of it differently than most people use the term.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

fatherdog posted:

I dunno, might be semantics at this point (I mean he is literally a former contender since he got a title shot, even if he got hilariously owned in it) but when I look back at hist 155 record the dudes that went on to title shots and top 5 rankings beat him fairly easily, whereas all the guys who lost to him put together strings of mixed wins and losses afterwards and bummed around the midcard - that's what I think of as "high level gatekeeper". I might just be thinking of it differently than most people use the term.

Theres at least 1 guy on the same page

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Add Accidentally Agree with Atom to psp bingo

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

Theres at least 1 guy on the same page

Nah, I don't agree with him that "contender" and "high level gatekeeper" are the same thing. Like I said, guys who beat Nate do so easily and go on to contend; guys who lose to him wind up losing to other guys pretty quick afterwards. It's not like, say, Frankie at 145, where he can beat up Charles Oliveira and Oliveira goes and racks up a four fight streak immediately afterwards.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

fatherdog posted:

Nah, I don't agree with him that "contender" and "high level gatekeeper" are the same thing. Like I said, guys who beat Nate do so easily and go on to contend; guys who lose to him wind up losing to other guys pretty quick afterwards. It's not like, say, Frankie at 145, where he can beat up Charles Oliveira and Oliveira goes and racks up a four fight streak immediately afterwards.

That is an interesting distinction I didn't really consider.

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

McGregor is fighting out of his weight class against a better boxer, wrestler, and jiu jitsu practitioner who will have the benefit of actually training for the rematch of the fight which he hilariously won the first time.

Meanwhile McGregor has been loving around on Twitter pretending he's not mad for loving real stop it you guys haha I was just kidding, I don't need your money dad I'll fight Mayweather and make millions or maybe mom's new boyfriend Steven will give me money.

Jesus give me a break.

Are you okay? I'm worried about you.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

people here like to say nate didnt train for the fight but conor didnt train specifically for nate either. this is just conjecture on my part but i think conor is the kind of person who needs to do everything perfectly in order to prepare for a fight and while he was leaner than nate for the fight he was most likely basically just as unprepared as nate was. its not like nate was unfit for the fight even if he was on a boat like he says, cos if he was unfit, he would have blown up just like conor did. so i think conor will look better in the 2nd fight

Conor slows down significantly in all his fights that go beyond 4 minutes. It had nothing to do with not being prepared for nate

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bundt Cake posted:

Im not sure how good I think Nate is. His initial submission streak was awesome, which he sorta needed cuz it seemed like manvel gamburyan probably couldve lay n prayed him if he didnt have a chronic shoulder injury. then at the gomi fight he super surprised me with his wrestling and punching, which I think got really good while he was struggling. Hes been pretty bad rear end since then. To me Thomson was a great fighter so I dont really think it means Nate sucks to get owned by him.

i agree that Thomson was a great fighter. i don't hold that stoppage against Nate

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://giant.gfycat.com/CarelessEnergeticAcaciarat.mp4

it's cool the way robbie attacks after sprawls, also god bless rory

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Jesus give me a break.

For reals man take a chill pill

david carmichael posted:

Conor slows down significantly in all his fights that go beyond 4 minutes. It had nothing to do with not being prepared for nate

I think that he will do better in the rematch, but that's probably a given

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

david carmichael posted:

That's because he is on steroids.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Eat This Glob posted:

That's because he is on steroids.

that reminds me

Nierbo posted:

Theres more to it than conditioning. There was a significant skill difference in the boxing between those two, and is a few months really enough for Conor to make enough improvement in his game in that area? Probably not. He can gameplan better and say he wants a camp focused on Nate but that skill gap isn't going to be closed much.

Eat Bum Zen posted:

you're on steroids!

:lol:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Dangersim posted:

It's nate diaz not jon jones

Counterpoint-- he whooped the poo poo out of McGregor and there's no reason to think the outcome will be different unless you are a Conor superfan.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Skip My Posts posted:

i feel like some people are really underestimating Conor's chances in this fight just like some people really underestimated nate's chance in the first one

it's a pendulum and i don't know why people can't say conor will do better this time AND that nate spanked him the first goround, because both are objectively true

edit: and idk if it was really such a 1-sided beatdown, like 25:75 maybe, but not 1:99

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Eat Bum Zen posted:

it's a pendulum and i don't know why people can't say conor will do better this time AND that nate spanked him the first goround, because both are objectively true

edit: and idk if it was really such a 1-sided beatdown, like 25:75 maybe, but not 1:99

conor won the first round

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Skip My Posts posted:

conor won the first round

first 8 mins he wasn't even trying and he won those

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Nate is going to effortlessly taunt Conor into completely abandoning any game plan by repeatedly calling him rich and a midget champion.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Conor is going to throw a leg-kick in the press conference and Nate will check it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The first round was a McGregor round that was way tighter than Conor and most people seem to think it was. Diaz was always game and fully confident in what he was doing.

• Locked thread