Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

After years of people begging for Aurin Warriors it appears Carbine was playing a game of telephone. 990 is about $10 btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

hold on, character boost? didn't it kill wow?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Shy posted:

And WildStar has such thrilling endgame content, too!

I'm really baffled there's not an option to race change or faction swap or something, or at least not that I've seen... I'm just going off the screenshots people are complaining about.

edit: nevermind, don't goon rush the people on Twitter who @ anyone who disparage the game.

Anoia fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 30, 2016

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Shy posted:

Yes clearly wow is dead. loving laugh out loud.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
WoW is very slowly dying and people love to propose their own personal pet peeves as the cause, but most likely the only reason is that it's over a decade old by now. Not to mention the fact that even while dying it's still far and away one of the most successful video games out there.

You could almost certainly predict when WoW will finally be dead by plotting a graph, and it will have nothing whatsoever to do with any choices Blizzard has made.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Clarste posted:

WoW is very slowly dying and people love to propose their own personal pet peeves as the cause, but most likely the only reason is that it's over a decade old by now. Not to mention the fact that even while dying it's still far and away one of the most successful video games out there.

You could almost certainly predict when WoW will finally be dead by plotting a graph, and it will have nothing whatsoever to do with any choices Blizzard has made.

I'm sure Blizzard, being the savvy business types they are, will have created something for the post- WoW fallout in 2035- if EQ2 has persisted this long with ~60k players (a medium pop wow server), I think WoW will be just fine.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rhymenoserous posted:

not really. CCP likes to reinvest most of it's capital into really lovely ideas.

Yes, but probably not personal assets. I'm pretty sure Hilmar is giving himself an astronomical wage.

Xolve posted:

I'm sure Blizzard, being the savvy business types they are, will have created something for the post- WoW fallout in 2035- if EQ2 has persisted this long with ~60k players (a medium pop wow server), I think WoW will be just fine.

Pretty much the only time wow can die is if blizzard pulls the plug, yeah.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

If EQ is still going after all these years, WoW's safe.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
That's what I've always said. Everquest is still going and still receiving expansion packs.

Will WoW scale down over time? Yeah, of course. But it's never going to die until Blizzard pulls the plug, which there's no way they will do for a very, very long time.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

WoW could still pull huge numbers for an expansion and retain them for a few but then everything falls apart post release. I dont think its a case of people just losing interest, at least not entirely. Its blizzard failing to keep people interest post release.

Blizzard is making way more money out of content that doesn't require as much of an upkeep so they can afford to go into semi-maintenance with WoW. Releasing an expansion and then only releasing two patches for it, one being mostly nothing, would have been unheard of in its heyday. But its going to be the new normal for WoW. But blizzard can afford it now that they can print money from Hearthstone, which only has 15 active developers. Overwatch seems to have been a huge hit and generating them a ton of money. HotS has none-insignificant following.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

WoW could still pull huge numbers for an expansion and retain them for a few but then everything falls apart post release. I dont think its a case of people just losing interest, at least not entirely. Its blizzard failing to keep people interest post release.

Blizzard is making way more money out of content that doesn't require as much of an upkeep so they can afford to go into semi-maintenance with WoW. Releasing an expansion and then only releasing two patches for it, one being mostly nothing, would have been unheard of in its heyday. But its going to be the new normal for WoW. But blizzard can afford it now that they can print money from Hearthstone, which only has 15 active developers. Overwatch seems to have been a huge hit and generating them a ton of money. HotS has none-insignificant following.

Will have to see how they handle Legion, their claim is this will be a planned longer expansion with more content added to it. They seemed to have backed themselves into a corner with MoP and WoD by wanting to release expansions faster. Think they finally realized, hey we are blizzard, we never release anything quickly, so they are going back to planned longer expansion cycles.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Probably because it's a bad game and somehow its players just keep buying expansion after expansion out of habit or something. Every time I see someone make a post along the lines of "me and my friends are waiting for Legion to drop" I just feel a twinge of sadness, like I just saw someone get recruited by ISIS or something. I used to know a few lingerers, and they even managed to convince me to try WoD. Eventually everyone had to admit that the game isn't good, but it was a weird Stockholm Syndrome process involving people who couldn't even seem to comprehend how so many people could be playing a game that was bad, therefore the game is good. I think people know that WoW is bad but for some reason refuse to admit it.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

It's bad but other mmos are worse

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sure it is bad, but the question still remains. Is it badder than WildStar

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Shy posted:

It's bad but other mmos are worse

True

Snatch Duster posted:

Sure it is bad, but the question still remains. Is it badder than WildStar

Do you want to eat horse poop or cow poop?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I don't think WoW is particularly bad as MMO'S go. I'm just tired of it is all. Tab target combat is super limited in the mechanics you can pull off, and character movement is still a bit chunky.

For all the bashing, I rather liked wildstars character movement and combat. And it's the only game I enjoyed healing on (aimed heals were a lot more fun than GRID whack a mole).

I also liked that every class was multi role.

I still think this game would have done fine as free to play if every other system wasn't obtuse and unfriendly.

Everything about prepping for late game was a loving slog, and I'm not even talking attunement which could be done in an afternoon.

Ability and action points took me something like two months to fully unlock. Unfucking my runes to being acceptable for the first raid took over a week.

And since 75% of your stats were in runes it behooves you to unfuck them pronto. This is entirely unlike gemming in WoW which even at its worse was relatively painless.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Anoia posted:

And WildStar has such thrilling endgame content, too!

I'm really baffled there's not an option to race change or faction swap or something, or at least not that I've seen... I'm just going off the screenshots people are complaining about.

edit: nevermind, don't goon rush the people on Twitter who @ anyone who disparage the game.

There is one coming at the same time, it's just done at the Chop Shop in game for Service Tokens rather than in the store.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think one of the biggest detractor in sub numbers for Blizzard is the EQ => DAOC => WoW crowd at the young end is what? Mid-30's?

Whereas the competitive FPS/MOBA scene is what? Early 20's? The difference in out of game responsibility is huge, a significant portion of the player base doesn't have the free-time they once did to collect bear asses and grind reputations anymore.

Truga posted:

Yes, but probably not personal assets. I'm pretty sure Hilmar is giving himself an astronomical wage.

I'm actually curious to know what that dude pays himself, especially in light of massive layoffs/studio closures in recent years.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Anoia posted:

After years of people begging for Aurin Warriors it appears Carbine was playing a game of telephone. 990 is about $10 btw

Wait. So Carbine is charging real money to unlock classes for other races? Is that how I'm reading that image? Because if so, :laffo:.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

Wait. So Carbine is charging real money to unlock classes for other races? Is that how I'm reading that image? Because if so, :laffo:.

I mean, that's pretty dumb, but it's not EQ2 $400 guild hall dumb

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

DarkstarIV posted:

Uh, that really is not anything out of the ordinary for F2P MMOs.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

CoffeeBooze posted:

I dont want to even think about how much money CCP blew on that White Wolf game they ended up canning.

I've tried a bunch of silly timesink MMOs, but by "tried" I mean I play for a couple of hours and give up. The only two MMOs I've ever stuck with were WoW and ESO.

But god drat I would have played a White Wolf MMO. Even if it had been a lovely game, I probably would have gritted my teeth and played it. Any MMO that's not a generic fantasy / sci-fi scene would be amazing. I like the idea of an MMO set in a regular old world. And, one in which you're not necessarily the godkilling hero, but someone who needs to keep their few abilities hidden? Would have been awesome.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

DarkstarIV posted:

You can buy races in SWTOR for about 10 bucks a pop or so, to unlock them for all of the classes; you can also just get a character to max level of that race to unlock it for all classes.

It's not really uncommon.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The only game that does it is SWTOR and that has the dubious honor of having literally the worst implementation of a cash shop in any western MMO.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Rhymenoserous posted:

And it's the only game I enjoyed healing on (aimed heals were a lot more fun than GRID whack a mole).

I found Bear Shamans in Age of Conan healing to be the most entertaining, while healing in Warhammer was easily the best improvement on an archaic system. Wish more MMOs tried to make those classes more interesting.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Clarste posted:

I dont think WoW slowly dying because of its age, plenty of ancient MMOs are still cruising right along. I think it is dying because it hasnt done anything particularly innovative or interesting in a long, long time. It seems like all paths lead to raiding now, which is fine for a while but I cant imagine its great for player retention.

Of course, doing something innovative and new is risky so I can see why Blizzard would rather have the WoW cash cow slowly generate less and less cash that can be used to create new IPs rather than risk ruining it. If WoW revenue gets too low they can just start producing more expansion to counteract the revenue lost from subscribers.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The only game that does it is SWTOR and that has the dubious honor of having literally the worst implementation of a cash shop in any western MMO.

EQ2 did that when they went F2P, restricting you to a few races and the most basic version of the fighter, mage, priest and rogue archetypes. I dunno if they still do since SOE got bought out but it was pretty drat bad.

I also remember that being Brad McQuade's brain child, hahah.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

CoffeeBooze posted:

I dont think WoW slowly dying because of its age, plenty of ancient MMOs are still cruising right along. I think it is dying because it hasnt done anything particularly innovative or interesting in a long, long time. It seems like all paths lead to raiding now, which is fine for a while but I cant imagine its great for player retention.

Of course, doing something innovative and new is risky so I can see why Blizzard would rather have the WoW cash cow slowly generate less and less cash that can be used to create new IPs rather than risk ruining it. If WoW revenue gets too low they can just start producing more expansion to counteract the revenue lost from subscribers.

They have what. Five million subs still. How is that dying?

Granted a lot of subs have left. But I imagine there are many factors at play. There are a bazillion mmos to play now. People have aged and moved on to real life. Etc etc.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

True

Do you want to eat horse poop or cow poop?

You are phrasing that question like mmo addicts have a choice, they must eat the poo.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

5 million before they stopped announcing numbers and that was over 6 months ago, we are now like over a year into the current wow patch? Numbers have probably halved from there.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Even by the most pessimistic of estimates WoW still has 3,000,000+ accounts, that is still huge. With that said, there is a pretty clear downward trend in WoW's subscriber numbers and over the last year or two it has started to be more drastic. Not only that, but Blizzard has been signaling that WoW is less of a priority by giving it less airtime on investor calls.

Its not like WoW is dead by any means, WoW isnt going to die quick or suddenly, but of a long slow declineBlizzard will continue to roll out expansions at a steady rate and extract as much revenue as they can from WoW which will probably take another 20+ years, if not longer. Maybe itll see an unexpected resurgence in popularity 30 years from now as newly minted empty nesters resubscribe, who knows.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I've gotten the impression that Blizzard quietly shifted WoW's development to a B team and are probably moving to a model not dissimilar to EQ past its prime while they focus on new ventures. It's not going to die any time soon, but it is losing relevancy. That's fine.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
WoW is 'dying' in multiple ways, all of which are unavoidable:

- It's an older game getting older
- Its players who play are getting older and have jobs/lives beyond raiding (which Blizzard nonsensically points players towards)
- Story-wise, the game is long past the point where it can draw from That Guy You Remember From Warcraft 3 as part of its appeal (Cata and WoD taught Blizzard that people don't remember WC1/2, and its why Illidan is on the cover of Legion)
- The game lost that brief window (Wrath-era) where the cliche of "everything takes forever/difficult do to" wasn't true.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 1, 2016

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Can someone post a video of a Chua warrior because that sounds like it would have really funny combat animations

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Anoia posted:

Why are people talking about Warcraft when this nugget is here? I know that FTP games have to earn revenue, but this boggles me.

1. The game is two years old: restricted race/class combos and horrible leveling is a relic of WoW-era design and shouldn't be a thing you pay to bypass in a new game. 2. Those are some high prices for a feature just now implemented in a game that's been blatantly bleeding out since it launched.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
WoW isn't dying or already dead and its certainly not correct to compare it to the games on life support like Champions Online or EQ or whatever. It still has vastly more subs than EVE and will have a gigantic sub jump when the pre-legion patch hits, probably with 2/3 of that bump leaving again a month after Legion launches. Still, thats not a dead game, thats probably about the same sort of player base Destiny has at worst.

Wildstar is a dead game because right now more people are playing evolve.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Mizuti posted:

Why are people talking about Warcraft when this nugget is here? I know that FTP games have to earn revenue, but this boggles me.

1. The game is two years old: restricted race/class combos and horrible leveling is a relic of WoW-era design and shouldn't be a thing you pay to bypass in a new game. 2. Those are some high prices for a feature just now implemented in a game that's been blatantly bleeding out since it launched.

Should charge at least double, tax the people who play aurin and chua

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

It is something people have been asking for since launch but in typical ncsoft style they are charging for it.

Carbine & ncsoft deserve each other.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I am thinking of playing an MMO again. Is this a bad game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

TheFonz posted:

I am thinking of playing an MMO again. Is this a bad game?

Read the last couple pages and find out

• Locked thread