Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Automatic Slim posted:

Just saw Enterprise episode with the Borg. A beautiful exercise in completely ignoring continuity Star Trek.

But one of the criticisms of early TNG was that the Borg were already on their way before Q pointed them out, and that raised the question of how did the Borg know exactly where Earth is, or why were they going in the first place. Enterprise stitched up that hole quite nicely by using First Contact leftovers, and having the Borg send out a low level subspace message that would take ~200 years to reach the Delta quadrant.

Later they got their database purged, hence why Ferengi and Borg were forgotten about until TNG/DS9 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

First paragraph makes a good point.

When did that happen in the second.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

plushpuffin posted:

It is also made extremely clear that Enterprise is a precursor to TOS and TNG, not an alternate history. The last episode in particular shows that everything that happened on Enterprise gave rise to TNG, and the ominous closing lines of the Borg episode indicate that the message sent to the Delta quadrant will take ~200 years to arrive, which is clearly an attempt to explain the revelation that the Borg were already traveling toward Federation space when Q forced an introduction. The discovery of the Borg in Enterprise begins/ends a causal loop which ends/begins with First Contact. Star Trek is very fond of causal loops and the concept of the timeline having an inertia that can be put right even if a few details are changed.

if you believe the events of enterprise and first contact to be a pre-baked in causality loop (primordial CTC) that only resulted in one timeline, explain (in universe):
- why no-one had ever heard of the borg while zeph blogged about em and did a bunch of poo poo because of the borg. and further more, explain how
- riker is somehow much old and fatter in the last episode than he would be if that was the prime universe.
- what happened to the timeline that the enterprise left to persue the borg back in time that was all hosed up by the borg
- what happened to the universe that the borg left before that in order to gently caress the earth up
- why the process of travelling back in time in this instance would result in no universe split despite the fact that when spock did it it did split the universe
- why so many things are different on enterprise and break with established history
- why there isn't a little gold nx-01 in the captain's ready room despite its apparent insane importance
- why everyone is all retarded on the enterprise e in insurrection and nemesis

because i can, its a parallel universe created from time travel. prime/good universe spawned the archer/bad universe which spawned the kelvin/dumb universe.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

criscodisco posted:

Lol somebody failed temporal mechanics, noob.

:ssh: I passed it the second time around.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
in a parallel universe, im gay

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

chaosbreather posted:

if you believe the events of enterprise and first contact to be a pre-baked in causality loop (primordial CTC) that only resulted in one timeline, explain (in universe):

because i can, its a parallel universe created from time travel. prime/good universe spawned the archer/bad universe which spawned the kelvin/dumb universe.

Because Star Trek writers are bad and lazy and can't peer into their own future. However, their intent was clear. Enterprise is a prequel to both TOS and TNG, and there are numerous call-forwards to both series.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Shout outs to the Bajoran milf that wanted Odo's liquid cock.

But who can blame her for wanting to be first to ride what was referred to around the station as "The Other Great Link"

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

plushpuffin posted:

:ssh: I passed it the second time around.

i passed it the first time on my third try

man Starfleet Academy must have some wacky hijinks going on, that's a show i'd watch. wasn't there a pitch going around for exactly that?

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Automatic Slim posted:

First paragraph makes a good point.

When did that happen in the second.

Somewhere mid season 3, there was like some rogue bunch of Bad Guys who temporarily take over the ship. Part of their bad guy deeds included deleting ~18.6 XB of data from the NX-01's computer. I vividly recall seeing the amount (:spergin:); It's not stated as part of the script per se, but it's shown on screen.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I thought they used quads not bytes in Star Trek. I hope someone was fired for using bytes.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
In the Voyager time travel episode Future's End B'elanna says at one point "it will take us a while to convert from binary to quads" when they access the billionaire's computer database, but the stupid thing is that there's no real difference. Quads and bytes are both powers of two so there's no "conversion" needed. It's just a matter of grouping the binary digits.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

plushpuffin posted:

Because Star Trek writers are bad and lazy and can't peer into their own future. However, their intent was clear. Enterprise is a prequel to both TOS and TNG, and there are numerous call-forwards to both series.

in universe explanation, please

the fact that some things wound up similar, like there being a commander riker with holodeck privileges, can't discount the fact that far, far more things wound up totally different and awful

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 30, 2016

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

chaosbreather posted:

in universe explanation, please

the fact that some things wound up similar, like there being a commander riker with holodeck privileges, can't discount the fact that far, far more things wound up totally different and awful

In-universe explanations for laziness, writing mistakes, and continuity errors in two series made 15 years apart and in reverse chronological order? OK, fine.

chaosbreather posted:

- why no-one had ever heard of the borg while zeph blogged about em and did a bunch of poo poo because of the borg. and further more, explain how
- riker is somehow much old and fatter in the last episode than he would be if that was the prime universe.
- what happened to the timeline that the enterprise left to persue the borg back in time that was all hosed up by the borg
- what happened to the universe that the borg left before that in order to gently caress the earth up
- why the process of travelling back in time in this instance would result in no universe split despite the fact that when spock did it it did split the universe
- why so many things are different on enterprise and break with established history
- why there isn't a little gold nx-01 in the captain's ready room despite its apparent insane importance
- why everyone is all retarded on the enterprise e in insurrection and nemesis

Q: why no-one had ever heard of the borg while zeph blogged about em and did a bunch of poo poo because of the borg
A: In-universe, Archer claims that Zephram Cochrane told a lot of tall tales and he may have been senile or crazy in late life.

Q: riker is somehow much old and fatter in the last episode than he would be if that was the prime universe.
A: Riker had cosmetic surgery because he was about to go undercover as a Pakled for a secret mission.

Q: what happened to the timeline that the enterprise left to persue the borg back in time that was all hosed up by the borg
A: Erased by the true timeline. When the Enterprise was caught in the temporal wake, they were the last remnant of the true timeline. Their actions caused the true timeline to reassert itself.

Q: what happened to the universe that the borg left before that in order to gently caress the earth up
A: Not sure what you're saying. I maintain that the Borg had always gone back in time and that an outside observer would have seen the 2061 Borg incursion, the Enterprise reawakening, and the TNG encounter with Borg who were already aware of the Federation as a causal loop with no beginning or end.

Q: why the process of travelling back in time in this instance would result in no universe split despite the fact that when spock did it it did split the universe
A: Historical inertia allows a timeline to be fixed with only minor differences as long as it can be fixed. The destruction of Vulcan was too great a change to gloss over.

Q: why so many things are different on enterprise and break with established history
A: Bit rot and a period of 1960s-aesthetic nostalgia during the TOS era.

Q: why there isn't a little gold nx-01 in the captain's ready room despite its apparent insane importance
A: Section 31 suppressed knowledge of that era because there were too many temporal shenanigans.

Q: why everyone is all retarded on the enterprise e in insurrection and nemesis
A: Picard never left the Nexus and is fulfilling various fantasies.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I know TNG didn't really ever deal with money or a budget but it needed a villain on the ship and it should have been an accountant who always complained about the cost of things. Sitting on the other side of Riker and no matter what, he complains about the budget.

Worf, fire a warning off the port bow.
How am I supposed to explain all these warnings to Starfleet?! They're not cheap!

Picard has been captured. We need to send a shuttlecraft down to the surface.
Starfleet is already screaming about our fuel budget and you want to send ANOTHER shuttlecraft down?

Do you realize how much each minute of Holodeck time affects our bottom line? And double-duties for the Borg attack? Where is that money supposed to come from?!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Oh Star Trek economics. I like how a Bajoran civil war nearly kicked off because some soil reclimators were moved from one province to another because if Bajor was to join the Federation they had to first, for some reason, setup a sustained food export economy with other planets in the system.... so they can ditch it the very day after they get full Fed membership and install limitless food replicators every fifty feet.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Let me tell you about the Agricultural Prime Directive; it states that-

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

oldpainless posted:

I know TNG didn't really ever deal with money or a budget but it needed a villain on the ship and it should have been an accountant who always complained about the cost of things. Sitting on the other side of Riker and no matter what, he complains about the budget.

Worf, fire a warning off the port bow.
How am I supposed to explain all these warnings to Starfleet?! They're not cheap!

Picard has been captured. We need to send a shuttlecraft down to the surface.
Starfleet is already screaming about our fuel budget and you want to send ANOTHER shuttlecraft down?

Do you realize how much each minute of Holodeck time affects our bottom line? And double-duties for the Borg attack? Where is that money supposed to come from?!

Every Starfleet ship has a Bond Company Stooge like on Life Aquatic.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

plushpuffin posted:

Q: why there isn't a little gold nx-01 in the captain's ready room despite its apparent insane importance
A: Section 31 suppressed knowledge of that era because there were too many temporal shenanigans.

:objection:

if section 31 suppressed knowledge of a starship Enterprise to the point where the captain of another starship Enterprise would not know or care it existed, how would that captain's underling have access and think to access a flawless holodeck recreation of the entire series of events... unless it was a DIFFERENT PARALLEL version of an underling that was in a universe where that ship existed?

of course never mind that you literally prefer an impossible conspiracy theory to merely ascribing it to a central tenant of star trek cosmology that has been the basis of more than a dozen episodes and underpins all the modern films, in total violation of occam's razor

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

chaosbreather posted:

:objection:

if section 31 suppressed knowledge of a starship Enterprise to the point where the captain of another starship Enterprise would not know or care it existed, how would that captain's underling have access and think to access a flawless holodeck recreation of the entire series of events... unless it was a DIFFERENT PARALLEL version of an underling that was in a universe where that ship existed?

of course never mind that you literally prefer an impossible conspiracy theory to merely ascribing it to a central tenant of star trek cosmology that has been the basis of more than a dozen episodes and underpins all the modern films, in total violation of occam's razor

Or maybe I was giving joke answers to your sillier nitpicks because that's all the consideration they deserved.

This isn't Babylon 5. This is Star Trek. There are no rules.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The gold NX got put in a drawer to make room for the fish tank.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

plushpuffin posted:

Or maybe I was giving joke answers to your sillier nitpicks because that's all the consideration they deserved.

This isn't Babylon 5. This is Star Trek. There are no rules.

not as pathetic as your stupid genitals

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Cthulu Carl posted:

Every Starfleet ship has a Bond Company Stooge like on Life Aquatic.

Romulan: Hey, this is my cloaking device. How did you get my cloaking device?

Bond company stooge: We loving stole it, man!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Rewatching Voyager rn and it's very good.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Please include a trip report from all the drugs you are on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Are you drunk?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
High as gently caress on warp particles.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I am drink a Busch beer and watching the episode where Harry is back home on Earth and has to give a big presentation and has a hot gf for some reason.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

High as gently caress on warp particles.

Transporter psychosis

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I am drink a Busch beer and watching the episode where Harry is back home on Earth and has to give a big presentation and has a hot gf for some reason.

That beer is spiked, no way american beer is strong enough to twist your mind into the shapes required for it to like voyager.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Uh, are you sure you're watching VOyager, and not "The Young and the Restless?"

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Iron Crowned posted:

Uh, are you sure you're watching VOyager, and not "The Young and the Restless?"

He, he looked at his clarinet and everything.

Time for beer #2

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Voyager is very good, my goodness how I've forgotten!

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Voyager is very good, my goodness how I've forgotten!

Someone please send this man an ambulance.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Now the ship is getting all contorted, CRAZY

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Everyone is talking about these timelines and poo poo but the borg knew about the Federation as soon as they assimilated the Hanson's and that was like at least a decade before the Q forced their encounter.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i like astrometrics
but its just a planetarium
is that really the best place for the robot

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

on the enterprise d and e, dolphins did that job

7of9 is doing the job of a fish

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

plushpuffin posted:

In the Voyager time travel episode Future's End B'elanna says at one point "it will take us a while to convert from binary to quads" when they access the billionaire's computer database, but the stupid thing is that there's no real difference. Quads and bytes are both powers of two so there's no "conversion" needed. It's just a matter of grouping the binary digits.

To steal a point from SF Debris, you have to remember that Torres was someone who literally couldn't identify poo poo with a tricorder.

As for the Borg thing: why assume the Borg were specifically going to Earth? Why can't they be doing the same thing Starfleet is: sending ships out to see what's out there?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sunswipe posted:

As for the Borg thing: why assume the Borg were specifically going to Earth? Why can't they be doing the same thing Starfleet is: sending ships out to see what's out there?

Because then the audience knows it's real important!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Humans are the most special and unique race in the galaxy obv :colbert: