Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Toxxupation posted:

I have no idea what you're...the death of Gwen Stacy? Is that what you're referencing? Because her death and her return were both really good.

But yeah, Bendis' Gwen Stacy disproves the assertion that he doesn't know how to write women. He basically did a ground-up reinvention of the character to the point where she's a strong and compelling enough character to solo her own series now (Spider-Gwen definitely seems to be taking a lot of her cues from Ultimate Gwen Stacy). I mean, basically every major female character he wrote on USM was at least pretty good (but Gwen and Jessica Drew and Lana Baumgartner were the standouts).

Dude can write women well.

The major mistakes of Bendis' run on USM were when Miles got the suit and basically got thrown into a bunch of real lame crossover events all in a row. Spider-Man No More was a great arc but that was kind of it for Miles for that first 28 issue run. Then Cataclysm happened (and he was great there), but at that point the writing was on the wall and the 1610 was being closed out so his final 12 issue arc is spent on that god-loving-awful, just absolutely loving atrocious revived Peter story or that awful All-New Ultimates run, before the final two arcs being a Secret Origins for his dad and a totally rushed faceoff against Doom. If it weren't for that really good All-New X-Men crossover arc the entirety of his post-Cataclysm, pre-SW stories would've been pretty trash.

I'm sort of amazed that Miles is as good a character as he is considered most of everything that came after USM 160 was disposable at best. There's really only a couple of arcs that really work in the whole thing, but Miles is still really appealing throughout.

The return was, the Death was unnecessary and just screamed "welp we have a Gwen Stacy she has to die". but yeah Jessica Drew was great, Gwen was great. Really wish Ultimate Jessica Drew had managed to survive Secret wars or whatever. She was a fun character.

Most of that I don't attribute to Bendis I guess, the whole Ultimate line was a mess of bullshit and reboots with the only book that stayed the same was USM. I don't know how much control he had over all of those events and reboots, as I wasn't deep into comics at the time but USM p much maintained a decent level of quality throughout. Until the merger where it was p much just fanservice and dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dexo posted:

The return was, the Death was unnecessary and just screamed "welp we have a Gwen Stacy she has to die". but yeah Jessica Drew was great, Gwen was great. Really wish Ultimate Jessica Drew had managed to survive Secret wars or whatever. She was a fun character.

I liked her too, but I have no idea how you could keep Ultimate Jessica Drew around in a universe where both 616 Peter Parker and 616 Jessica Drew have their own books.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Not to mention a Spider-Gwen, a Silk, and a Spider-Girl. I mean you could've thrown her in Web Warriors or something but that team already had enough female Spider characters.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Not to mention a Spider-Gwen, a Silk, and a Spider-Girl. I mean you could've thrown her in Web Warriors or something but that team already had enough female Spider characters.

2 is enough?

I mean, I get if you're saying Web Warriors as a concept was too many Spider-People, but saying that it had too many girls is kind of weird?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

2 is enough?

I mean, I get if you're saying Web Warriors as a concept was too many Spider-People, but saying that it had too many girls is kind of weird?

I mean, usually you get the handsome leader, the nerd, the crazy/silly guy, the black guy, and the girl. So really two girls is already double your quota.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I really liked Ultimate Jessica but I think she might just need the right writer -- there are potentially some really interesting body / gender identity topics she's touched on that might be kind of delicate ground for Marvel editorial.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean, usually you get the handsome leader, the nerd, the crazy/silly guy, the black guy, and the girl. So really two girls is already double your quota.

Nah, the crazy/silly one is usually a dude in Japan but America makes him into a girl to try and look more equal and diverse.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ultimate Jessica had a dope costume too.

Yeah, that's good stuff.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

McSpanky posted:

Ultimate Jessica had a dope costume too.

Yeah, that's good stuff.

It's a shame they got rid of it for her loving horrid "Black Widow" costume

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

NmareBfly posted:

I really liked Ultimate Jessica but I think she might just need the right writer -- there are potentially some really interesting body / gender identity topics she's touched on that might be kind of delicate ground for Marvel editorial.

She can team up with Wolverine and they can have weird feelings about being lady clones of dudes together :buddy:.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrProsek posted:

She can team up with Wolverine and they can have weird feelings about being lady clones of dudes together :buddy:.

The difference is Jessica remembers all of Peter's life. Which is weird for her.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

The difference is Jessica remembers all of Peter's life. Which is weird for her.

Oh right, I totally forgot that. Yeah that was weird but awesome. A shame she's probably not coming back any time soon :(.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

2 is enough?

There's 3 Spider-Men (UK, Noir, India), 4 Spider-Women (Gwen, Anya, Mayday, Lady Spider), and 1 Spider-Pig. That's pretty much enough members of any gender/species

X-O fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 29, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

There's 3 Spider-Man (UK, Noir, India), 4 Spider-Women (Gwen, Anya, Mayday, Lady Spider), and 1 Spider-Pig. That's pretty much enough members of any gender/species.

Clearly the reason it was canceled was the lack of pig.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They added Spider-Ham 2099 too late.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Preacher was renewed for another season with an expanded order of 13 episodes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Awesome.

It's a great show. Anyone who disagrees is a communist.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Awesome.

It's beautifully shot, whoever is in charge of music selection deserves a raise, and I actually enjoy almost all the casting. But man oh man, these episodes are really being dragged out, story-wise. Can Cassidy please move around more? Keeping him semi-confined to the church sucks. Can we finally get on with Tulip recruting Jesse for their revenge hit? C'monnnnnnn already. Nobody has any goddamn agency except Tulip, and she's still just mostly puttering around. I'm going to keep watching because there certainly is enough that I don't feel my time is being wasted (mostly due to the cast and some great stylistic choices), but I find myself pushing through a lot of the episodes at 1.3x normal speed on my Tivo (with pitch correction, thanks Tivo Bolt!) because it's just. so. ploddy.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 30, 2016

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Rocksicles posted:

Awesome.

Amen, and gently caress Communism

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter movies) is joining Flash as a series regular for season 3. He's playing a new character named Julian Dorn who will work with Barry as a crime scene tech for the Central City Police Department.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Quick, what else does "Julian Dorn" spell?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rhyno posted:

Nothing I could find on the internet anagram server, but it doesn't do well with proper names.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

"Hey guys, my name is Julian Dorn, but my nickname is a funny story. See, when I was in college, I used to pay the bills by doing landscaping. One day a friend of mine was trying to get my attention but didn't realize it was me so he was like, 'Hey, Guy! Gardener!' and the name just sort of stuck."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While he's not saying who it is Grant Gustin is saying that Felton is playing an established character.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I mean technically, he could be Malfoy, right? WB does own the rights, I say they go all out

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

I mean technically, he could be Malfoy, right? WB does own the rights, I say they go all out
That's about the only thing that could get me to watch the show.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Retro Futurist posted:

WB owns the rights, which almost exclusively means that it would NOT be allowed to appear on one of their shows :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Since they're going full Flashpoint at the start of the season, they're going to go full Rebirth midseason and "Julian Dorn" will just be a cover for white Wally West coming to remind Barry of how the universe used to be.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

TwoPair posted:

Since they're going full Flashpoint at the start of the season, they're going to go full Rebirth midseason and "Julian Dorn" will just be a cover for white Wally West coming to remind Barry of how the universe used to be.

That would be kind of fun, having a "Dawn" angle with a character like they've been around since the beginning but the audience "forgot".

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Felton is playing Mr. Poopy Butthole?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Klungar posted:

Felton is playing Mr. Poopy Butthole?

Aww geeee!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
AoS might - MIGHT - be casting the Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider for S4.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/wait-is-ghost-rider-coming-to-agents-of-shield-after-all

I figured they'd be doing some sort of supernatural storyline tangentially related to Doctor Strange, but I wouldn't have expected that. Even on the series' budget, I'd take that over another Inhumans storyline any day.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

They already had a flaming chain wielder last season that looked decent enough.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/wait-is-ghost-rider-coming-to-agents-of-shield-after-all

I figured they'd be doing some sort of supernatural storyline tangentially related to Doctor Strange, but I wouldn't have expected that. Even on the series' budget, I'd take that over another Inhumans storyline any day.

drat, that's almost exciting enough news to make me want to try jumping into the show for S4. On the other hand I remember disliking basically every character, so it'd entirely depend on how good their Robbie is.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Ghost Rider seems like a big character for ABC to try to pull off. Also surprised that Disney would greenlight such a choice, given that they are making Doctor Strange movies now and Ghost Rider could easily pad their supernatural cast of characters for the films.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's a shame, I would've liked Ghost Rider to be in something good for once.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

ToastyPotato posted:

Ghost Rider seems like a big character for ABC to try to pull off. Also surprised that Disney would greenlight such a choice, given that they are making Doctor Strange movies now and Ghost Rider could easily pad their supernatural cast of characters for the films.

Well, it's still just speculation for now, and if it's true, it just means that Studios proper is only interested in the Johnny Blaze version. Reyes is at least more distinct from that incarnation than Ketch or whatshername.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Well, it's still just speculation for now, and if it's true, it just means that Studios proper is only interested in the Johnny Blaze version. Reyes is at least more distinct from that incarnation than Ketch or whatshername.

I dunno, I feel like Studios won't touch him if there is a version on TV. Kind of like how not only have their been no mention of Inhumans so far in the films, but their plan film was indefinitely postponed. That could all be coincidence, but given the rift behind the scenes, I can see them choosing to minimize overlap.

Which is sad because this basically:

Lurdiak posted:

It's a shame, I would've liked Ghost Rider to be in something good for once.

We'll see if ABC can pull off something like Ghost Rider if this is true, but given how god awful Lash was, I am not holding my breath.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Like, even if it's Agents of Shields at its best, it sure as hell isn't going to be NETFLIX ORIGINAL: GHOST RIDER levels of quality, which is kiiiinda something I've been desperately hoping for ever since seeing Daredevil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Between the Hand stuff from Daredevil S2 and the villain of Defenders being Mephisto, Ghost Rider would make perfect sense for the Netflix shows, while for AoS it just kinda feels like "and now we're doing supernatural stuff, let's find a character who can tie us into that world". Like, if the Netflix shows don't want a Ghost Rider then I'll take what I can get, but even ignoring how much better the Netflix stuff is overall, it would make much more sense for the Netflix shows to do Ghost Rider. Probably not Robbie though, not unless they aged him up significantly.