Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

FAUXTON posted:

So the answer is to just not use them?
The answer is not to shame people using Plan B on the assumption they aren't practicing safe sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ulmont posted:

Holy poo poo, yeah. $1 million to fight the case versus $225,000 to install air conditioning.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/274b1f8c1fab498aabddb2a182ab4e86/ap-exclusive-1-million-spent-avoid-cooling-death-row

Probably couldn't find a third party to run the AC for a monthly fee charged to the inmates that want it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ulmont posted:

Holy poo poo, yeah. $1 million to fight the case versus $225,000 to install air conditioning.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/274b1f8c1fab498aabddb2a182ab4e86/ap-exclusive-1-million-spent-avoid-cooling-death-row

See, it's the principle of the thing. Gotta stand up for what's right for the people of Louisiana.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

See, it's the principle of the thing. Gotta stand up for what's right for the people of Louisiana.

quote:

Private attorneys from two law firms have billed the state more than $424,000. Most of that has gone to a Baton Rouge firm with a law partner — E. Wade Shows — who served as campaign treasurer to former Attorney General James "Buddy" Caldwell, who was voted out of office last year.

That firm — Shows, Cali & Walsh — has billed 2,420 hours at an average of about $140 per hour. The firm and Shows donated a combined $20,000 to Caldwell's campaigns since 2007.

Who knew principles were so profitable?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Who knew principles were so profitable?

Those are extremely low costs and revenues per hour.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

euphronius posted:

Those are extremely low costs and revenues per hour.

It's true, although maybe not so much for Baton Rouge.

However, that firm does have 16 different matters open with the state to the tune of a few million a year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ulmont posted:

Yeah, but they have to pay for electricity to run it indefinitely, so when you think about it, if they win the case, they save an infinite amount of money.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I doubt they are making much of anything on 140 an hour and it's more for prestige / connections to other clients.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

patentmagus posted:

Maybe the pharmacist thought you had unprotected sex and that such boning is stupid.

Who gives a poo poo it's literally none of her business, fill the script and keep your comments to yourself

I have no idea why this seems to be so hard for some pharmacies but here we are

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

twodot posted:

The answer is not to shame people using Plan B on the assumption they aren't practicing safe sex.

Seems like a fair enough compromise.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

euphronius posted:

I doubt they are making much of anything on 140 an hour and it's more for prestige / connections to other clients.

It's Baton Rouge. I bet they're paying their attorneys less than Chicago money*

*The 36,000 variant, to be clear.

EDIT: I remember dealing with local counsel out of a suburb of Indianapolis a few years back, where the 20 years of practice partner was billing something like $200.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

euphronius posted:

ooooooooooor they're putting in a lot of paralegal/non-attorney time to bring down the average

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Baton rogue is a state capital and iirc a large town.

140 an hour is like .... Small town solo rates for divorced waitresses.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

evilweasel posted:

ooooooooooor they're putting in a lot of paralegal/non-attorney time to bring down the average

Public contracts don't usually let you charge for non legal time . Even private was cracking down in that last I checked . You may be right. Still you have to pay paralegals and assistants.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

euphronius posted:

Baton rogue is a state capital and iirc a large town.

140 an hour is like .... Small town solo rates for divorced waitresses.

Baton Rouge has around 230,000. And while the story is back from 2004, back then Louisiana billing rates were literally half of the rest of the country.
http://s92916841.onlinehome.us/law%20images/041129_CB_rates.pdf

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Baton Rouge is our state capital and there is a solid amount of oil and shipping money around town. I would wager there is some shenanigans with those rates.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!
Baton Rouge is in Louisiana, which means its legal system is completely insane, even by state law standards.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Baton Rouge is in Louisiana, which means its legal system is completely insane, even by state law standards.

You can take the Napoleonic Code from cold, dead mains

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I've always heard that LA judges will look at you like you've grown an extra head if you try to try your case without citing some case law, Napoleonic Code or not.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Discendo Vox posted:

Just the intro has my head spinning. I wonder what the rate of failure on the Louisiana bar exam is for those who did not study in the state -- or even if having a hodgepodge of legal doctrines affects the bar at all.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

Just the intro has my head spinning. I wonder what the rate of failure on the Louisiana bar exam is for those who did not study in the state -- or even if having a hodgepodge of legal doctrines affects the bar at all.

It does. Our bar exam is supposedly one of, if not the, most difficult exams in the country.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FAUXTON posted:

So the answer is to just not use them?

No, the answer (which I didn't make clear) is that you shouldn't judge people who are buying Plan B because "they should have used condoms". You don't know whether they did or not. Heck, I'd say you shouldn't judge people based on their taking responsibility for the consequences of sex, but what do I know.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Heck, I'd say you shouldn't judge people

Where have I heard that before... wasn't there a celebrity or something who was famous for saying stuff like this... drat who was it... jeez, it's right on the tip of my tongue. Jesus christ why can't I remember it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rygar201 posted:

It does. Our bar exam is supposedly one of, if not the, most difficult exams in the country.

So how did Frank Abagnale, Jr pass it? :iiam:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Some dude was all "you cannot judge - that is reserved for someone who is literally divinity *wink* "

Then some mortal fucks decided its okay for humans to judge in the case of homosexuals.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

quote:

The first Louisiana Civil Code Digest of 1808 was written in French and subsequently translated into English. For many years legal practitioners in the state made great effort to ensure that both versions agreed. Despite those efforts some clauses were found only in one version or the other.

:psyduck:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

No, the answer (which I didn't make clear) is that you shouldn't judge people who are buying Plan B because "they should have used condoms". You don't know whether they did or not. Heck, I'd say you shouldn't judge people based on their taking responsibility for the consequences of sex, but what do I know.

personally, given that we're all human, i think asking people not to privately laugh at the many things that people buy at a pharmacy is a bridge too far into robotville as long as you're polite to their face

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Truly the greatest state. I'd have rather they keep the codes in agreement than decide they'd just beat the French out of the populace :smith:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
I seem to recall that one of the other states did something strange and unpleasant with either its legislative record or legal system, such that everything was contained in a single canonical document that had to contain the full record of revisions within the same document. Kentucky, maybe?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Discendo Vox posted:

I seem to recall that one of the other states did something strange and unpleasant with either its legislative record or legal system, such that everything was contained in a single canonical document that had to contain the full record of revisions within the same document. Kentucky, maybe?

Why is that a problem?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation

Torrannor posted:

Why is that a problem?

Imagine a (iirc) 50 year old, 8000 page, word document, under continuous revision, with all track changes on and visible, embedded in the text. This is what you cite to for all laws, and what your legislature reads for all laws. All additions are applied to the end of the current document.

edit: those vvvvvvv may be what I was thinking of. Disgusting.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 30, 2016

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
IIRC Alabama basically has no laws. They just amend the constitution every time they want to do something.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Slaan posted:

IIRC Alabama basically has no laws. They just amend the constitution every time they want to do something.

Louisiana does this too. Our Constitution is very long and very bad.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
I think I was thinking of Alabama:

quote:

At 310,296 words, the document is 12 times longer than the average state constitution, 40 times longer than the U.S. Constitution, and is the longest constitution still operative anywhere in the world. The English version of the Constitution of India, the longest national constitution, is about 117,369 words long, a third of the length of Alabama's.

The state legislature has passed numerous amendments to legislate issues that apply to only one or a few counties, as can be seen from the following examples:

Bingo (Amendments 386 and 387 in Jefferson, further amended by Amendment 413 in Montgomery County, Amendment 440 in Mobile County, Amendment 506 in Etowah County, Amendment 508 in Calhoun County,Amendment 600 in Madison County, Amendment 612 in Russell County, Amendment 674 in Lowndes County, Amendment 692 in Limestone County, and Amendment 699 in Morgan County, the text of which are exactly or almost exactly the same)
Mosquito control taxes in Mobile County (Amendment 351), which was later amended by Amendment 361 to remove a single word (tangible), then further amended by Amendment 393 to expand it to "other general health purposes" so long as these purposes do not take more than 50% of the collected money.
Boll weevil taxes on cotton growers (Amendment 449)
Promotion of catfish (Amendment 492), soybeans (Twice, Amendment 315 and Amendment 401), cattle (Twice, Amendment 201 and Amendment 452), poultry (Twice, Amendment 214 and amended by Amendment 428), swine (Twice, Amendment 327 and Amendment 400), an omnibus amendment for peanuts, milk, and cotton (Amendment 388), grain (Amendment 453), sheep and goats (Amendment 715), and shrimp and seafood generally (Amendment 766).
Dead farm animals (Amendment 482) in Limestone County, to be administered by the County Commission
Prostitution in Jefferson County (Amendment 688).
Exhumation in Madison County (Amendment 520 by the County Commission), see also the above entry for Dead farm animals in Limestone county
Forest fire tax levies in Marshall County (Amendment 439)
Nuisance (Amendment 497 in Jefferson County)
The Legislature has amended amendments to correct language and legislate special taxation (See other sections for more examples):

Public debt over Mobile County (Amendments 152 and 363 over Amendment 18)
Promotion of Madison County and Huntsville (Amendment 254 over Amendment 191)
Special taxation for public healthcare in Mobile County (Amendment 248 over Amendment 195)
Taxation for "Furtherance of Education" in Jefferson County (Amendments 248, 260, and 298 over Amendment 175)
Civic center bonds (Amendment 280 over Amendment 238)
Fire protection and waste collection in Jefferson County (Amendments 314 and 369 over Amendment 239)
Use of gas taxes (Amendment 354 over Amendment 93)
Mosquito control taxes (See above)
The State Judiciary (Amendments 328, 364, and 426 over the original Article VI, later amendments 580 and 581 were made directly to the article and not previous amendments.
School taxes in Huntsville (Amendment 407 over Amendment 218)
Fire department districts in Etowah County (Amendment 445 over Amendment 432)
The Jackson City Port Authority (Amendment 477 over Amendment 465)
Constitutional amendments that deal with one county (Amendment 555 over Amendment 425
The Madison County Judiciary (Amendment 607 over Amendment 334)
Corporation taxation (Amendment 662 over Amendment 212)
Fire/Emergency services taxes in Montgomery County (Amendment 711 over Amendment 551)
Calhoun County school district taxes (Amendment 720 over 291)
More fire protection taxes, this time in DeKalb County (Amendment 728 over Amendment 637)
Court costs for a new Russell County Jail (Amendment 736 over 507)
Some reservoir Authority in Fayette County, Alabama (751 over Amendment 538)
Even more fire protection taxes, now in Pickens County (Amendment 765 over Amendment 649)
Section 97 prohibits deceased officials from receiving a salary.
Political documentary on the Alabama constitution- it was set up this way to (surprise!) disenfranchise blacks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n8dLdAlL3Q

Other fun, illegibly long state constitutions include Texas, which requires explicit enumeration of all state government powers, and California, which is the product of a psychotic strong liberal philosophy and a direct democratic revision system.

edit: while searching for the full text of the Alabama constitution to see how thick it would be if printed, I came across this little gem of a website.
http://www.whpgs.org/f.htm

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 30, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

This makes me physically ill for so many reasons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Imagine being one of the legislative aides or legal research or court library people working for the Alabama state government- having to advise Alabama legislators on how to write their Alabama laws to integrate with the Alabama constitution.

Suggestion. Let's pool our resources and send the Alabama Law Institute staff some pizza or beer or something.

edit: Their website hasn't been updated since mid-2015 :facepalm:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 30, 2016

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Discendo Vox posted:

Political documentary on the Alabama constitution- it was set up this way to (surprise!) disenfranchise blacks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n8dLdAlL3Q

Other fun, illegibly long state constitutions include Texas, which requires explicit enumeration of all state government powers, and California, which is the product of a psychotic strong liberal philosophy and a direct democratic revision system.

edit: while searching for the full text of the Alabama constitution to see how thick it would be if printed, I came across this little gem of a website.
http://www.whpgs.org/f.htm

Sherman did nothing wrong.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

My home state of Texas is like that because constitutional amendments only require a majority on the ballot. And statistically if you get an amendment on the ballot it has something like an 80% chance to pass.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

Sherman did nothing wrong.

Yeah he did, he only burnt part of the South and didn't finish the goddamned job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Discendo Vox posted:

You left off the best part

quote:

The Constitution of the State of Alabama is the basic governing document of the U.S. state of Alabama. It was adopted in 1901 and is the sixth constitution that the state has had.