Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Jia posted:

People played any of the ME games for the combat?

I played ME3 for the multiplayer, mostly. It was quite fun.
Never did finish the actual single player campaign for it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

For the record ME3 had the best combat in single player in the entire series.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kay Kessler posted:

Zero Time Dilemma's great voice acting writes a check that the lovely character models just can't cash.

I thought the character models were pretty great with the exception of Eric's weird face. The thing dragging it down for me is that Zero Jr is a hell of a step down from the amazing character Zero III was.

On a more general note - gently caress respawning enemies in almost every situation, PARTICULARLY if they were never respawning before. I just activated the blood moon in Bloodborne and while I understand why it happens - it's a great way to ramp up the tension at that point - it also kind of turns it into a way different game than the one I thought I was playing.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Ryoshi posted:

On a more general note - gently caress respawning enemies in almost every situation, PARTICULARLY if they were never respawning before. I just activated the blood moon in Bloodborne and while I understand why it happens - it's a great way to ramp up the tension at that point - it also kind of turns it into a way different game than the one I thought I was playing.

Find and kill the bell ringing ladies.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i liked customizing bullet types in me1, but gently caress being awash in trash and duplicate loot.

the mako sections can get annoying if you're not positioned at the right angle to aim your main cannon at the thresher maws.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Luisfe posted:

Find and kill the bell ringing ladies.

Yeah, I know what I have to do, it's just that the world went all loving weird and I want to go and explore and stuff like I normally do in new areas but between the respawning and the horrific Cthulhu-esque laser monsters I really don't feel like I can.

Man, what a cool game though.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

just run past them. or fight them enough that you can handle them

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

NotAnArtist posted:

I'm playing Darksiders 2 and the Kingdom of the Dead is just such a bland, boring area that's essentially a grey wasteland. I know it's a barren lifeless land, but every dungeon is just so generically ''ruined castle'' that it feels phoned in in comparison to the lush area you previously explore. The fact that the camera is garbage and the mini map lacks a North orientation makes exploration super frustrating at times.

Trust me when I say that you should probably just quit the game, because it does not get any better later on. Each zone is progressively blander and more rushed than the previous.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

ME1's entire economy is also completely broken in part thanks to the scaling loot. Like, it's entirely possible to encounter a quest that offers a 400 credit reward when you're rocking guns that cost a million credits apiece, and it gets even sillier on New Game+ playthroughs.

That pretty much happens only on Noveria, they must have recorded all the dialogue for that planet first. It's the only planet where the characters tell you exactly how many credits they're going to give you when you complete the quest, every other quest in the game scales it's reward to your level but someone on Noveia will give you 400 credits at level 59 because he says in in dialogue.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Guy Mann posted:

ME2 is a massive improvement that let's you make meaningful choices about your loadout

It really doesn't. There's no reason to ever not take the most powerful weapons, which are also assuredly the most recent you've picked up (except for stuff taken from the DLC areas, which usually outclasses everything else in the game). Once you get a new gun, you'll never need the one you had before. Mass Effect 3 did it the best, where your loadout weight affects your ability cooldown, so going with weaker, but lighter gear is preferable for some builds.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NotAnArtist posted:

I'm playing Darksiders 2 and the Kingdom of the Dead is just such a bland, boring area that's essentially a grey wasteland. I know it's a barren lifeless land, but every dungeon is just so generically ''ruined castle'' that it feels phoned in in comparison to the lush area you previously explore. The fact that the camera is garbage and the mini map lacks a North orientation makes exploration super frustrating at times.

In addition to that I thought it was really weird that your character, Death, didn't know about the The Kingdom of the Dead and no one in the Kingdom cared that the personification of Death just showed up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Guy Mann posted:

If you want to see what a bad version of ME's combat looks like and appreciate everything it gets right, play the awful XCOM shooter.

The Bureau is actually pretty good, for something hastily cobbled together from scraps after going through development hell. And while it is a blatant ME clone, the combat kind of has its own thing going on.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Luisfe posted:

I played ME3 for the multiplayer, mostly. It was quite fun.
Never did finish the actual single player campaign for it though.

Yeah, multiplayer for ME3 is actually a lot of fun.

My complaint in that regard is that the funnest class - Vanguard, which basically lets you zip around slamming cyber zombies off the map - turns out to be an awful choice at the higher difficulties, where survivability is more important.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

A White Guy posted:

My complaint in that regard is that the funnest class - Vanguard, which basically lets you zip around slamming cyber zombies off the map - turns out to be an awful choice at the higher difficulties, where survivability is more important.

I know you said multiplayer but the core strategy of vanguard involves charging, blasting with a shotty, then charging again to regain your shields before you get killed, which is essentially the same as in single player except you can't pause to think about who to charge, you have to just commit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A White Guy posted:

Many vanguards are amazing classes on gold, especially N7 slayer. Charge to fill your barriers, use phase disruptor to stagger things and do big damage, charge again.

You can also find videos of 4 volus charging around with batarian gauntlets punching heads off on gold.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 00:39 on Jun 30, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The problem with Vanguards in MP is that if you have the slightest bit of lag your charge takes forever to go off (if the game doesn't just drop the input entirely), which means you can't abuse the i-frames or the shield recharge nearly as much. Also on higher difficulties where more bosses spawn, the greater the chance you'll get cheap grabbed into an instant kill.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In addition to that I thought it was really weird that your character, Death, didn't know about the The Kingdom of the Dead and no one in the Kingdom cared that the personification of Death just showed up.

According to the deep, rich lore that underlies the Darksiders series, you're just some meaty fucker named Death, not actually Death itself.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Trust me when I say that you should probably just quit the game, because it does not get any better later on. Each zone is progressively blander and more rushed than the previous.

Yeah, in the first area they start talking about how you're going to have to go to like 5(?) different realms and get something from each one. You look at the map and think "Wow, if each is as big as this one that's a lot of game" then you go to the second realm and it's smaller. Then the third, which is even smaller and then by the time you get to the last one it's just one dungeon and that's it.

Also the game has a really bizarre loving ending where you die but then it seems like someone only told them afterwards that they can't do that so there's a short video that goes "of course then he came right back to life because otherwise the ending of the first game doesn't make sense."

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Also at a point in the third (?) zone there is a massive section that is a slow plodding corridor shooter. Like, you don't get to use any of your cool moves or gear or take advantage of the high agility that your character has, you just very slowly walk through this very long level with a gun and shoot at enemies forever. It's really bad. It's really bad. The first Darksiders game is seriously one of my favorite games, and the second game is just goddamn terrible and now they're never going to make another one, RIP THQ.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Action Tortoise posted:

the mako sections can get annoying if you're not positioned at the right angle to aim your main cannon at the thresher maws.

Speaking of this, I've played through ME1 like, 8 or 9 times and I only found out the Mako had a cannon earlier this year. I have killed Thresher Maws with just the minigun. Yes, it does take literally forever.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RyokoTK posted:

Also at a point in the third (?) zone there is a massive section that is a slow plodding corridor shooter. Like, you don't get to use any of your cool moves or gear or take advantage of the high agility that your character has, you just very slowly walk through this very long level with a gun and shoot at enemies forever. It's really bad. It's really bad. The first Darksiders game is seriously one of my favorite games, and the second game is just goddamn terrible and now they're never going to make another one, RIP THQ.

Was the final boss in Darksiders 1 meant to be that much of a damp fart? Was there some new game plus thing I missed?

Also gently caress DS1 for letting you very slowly level your main sword and then just giving you a rank max sword for the last portion. All that grinding and deliberately not using sidearms to rank up my blade and they just overwrite it all.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Action Tortoise posted:

i liked customizing bullet types in me1, but gently caress being awash in trash and duplicate loot.

The Mako still stands as the entire reason I quit the first time I tried to play ME. Not because it was a slow, boring sack of poo poo or anything. But because I hadn't saved in a while, ramped off a mountain and just flew into space and never came back. Sometimes I like to think it's still out there, flipping through space with the long dead skeletons of its crew rattling about.

EDIT: I do agree that yeah the Mako wasn't that bad, it just really could have done with being faster.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 08:07 on Jun 30, 2016

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I loved those janky as gently caress spacecar sessions :smith:

Tootlin' along on planets was fun, and though I've never played me2 or me3 I was bummed that they took them out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The mako was alright as long as you didn't try to do everything on every planet, which would make you hate any vehicle by the end.

I sort of liked that the hammerhead in mass effect 2 was just the mako's design document, but inverted in every possible way.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Seems like the new ME is gonna have some kind of spacecar available. Which is kinda sweet assuming they don't gently caress it up.

It's Bioware, they're gonna gently caress it up... :qq:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

DLC that makes the game worse.

The Bonfire of the Vanities is a DLC chapter in Assassin's Creed II that's mandatory if it's installed, you can't forward the main quest without completing it first. Here you go back to the first city of the game and you have to kill nine men, in a call-back to the first game. For some ungodly reason you have to kill these men without being seen, even though you immediately get in a fight afterwards. The whole experience is just cheap padding that feels low-budget compared to the rest of the game, and the DLC bugged out forcing me to finish chapter 13 before I could begin chapter 12.

This is the worst mission in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gncRUMstebI

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Bonfire of the Vanities is a DLC chapter in Assassin's Creed II that's mandatory if it's installed, you can't forward the main quest without completing it first.

The DLC comes with all versions of the game now, too.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm really glad I own the non-director's cut version of Deus Ex 3 for this reason. I don't mind having wasted 3 euros or whatever on The Missing Link DLC but I'm really glad I never have to play it again if I do another playthrough, because I found it completely awful.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Integrated DLC completely destroys the pacing of the game. It always butts in shortly before the end, in the case of Assassin's Creed II it even goes to the DLC right after a big "right, let's go kill the evil mastermind" speech, and it's always disconnected from the main game's story at that point. Not only in terms of story content, but also in gameplay, since it's usually designed for people who played through the game already and want more, so it's more difficult than the main game or has other gimmicks, and when it integrates it just creates a huge difficulty spike right before what's supposed to be the climax of it all.

I can't even fathom who thought it was a good idea because surely the majority of people who buy a GOTY edition with integrated DLC are folks who are about to play the game for the first time and who are now about to have a worse experience.

LA Noire was pretty bad with it as well. It was already a long and repetitive game without having to solve additional cases that don't even add to the main plot.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The best part is the DLC that's just a bunch of extra equipment that blows away all game balance.

Dead Space 2's PC version comes with all the DLC packed in: a pile of equipment that's available by the time you reach the first save point. You can't turn it off, it's some of the best stuff in the game, and it obliviates the need to find anything else.

The only thing I could do was go through each piece of equipment and discard it, I think, or something. It was a pain-in-the-rear end process in any case.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Morpheus posted:

The best part is the DLC that's just a bunch of extra equipment that blows away all game balance.

Dead Space 2's PC version comes with all the DLC packed in: a pile of equipment that's available by the time you reach the first save point. You can't turn it off, it's some of the best stuff in the game, and it obliviates the need to find anything else.

The only thing I could do was go through each piece of equipment and discard it, I think, or something. It was a pain-in-the-rear end process in any case.

Yeah, I recently got Rise of the Tomb Raider and it does the same thing where you get a few special weapons right away, which are basically just the regular late-game weapon variants with a fancy skin. Fortunately it's not quite as much of an issue there since all the weapon choices are sidegrades rather than straight upgrades. But the weird thing is that throughout the game you're still unlocking the basic versions of those very same weapons, so you end up having a bunch of perfectly identical guns.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm really glad I own the non-director's cut version of Deus Ex 3 for this reason. I don't mind having wasted 3 euros or whatever on The Missing Link DLC but I'm really glad I never have to play it again if I do another playthrough, because I found it completely awful.

Missing Link is definitely what I was thinking of, too. Yuck.

Somfin posted:

Was the final boss in Darksiders 1 meant to be that much of a damp fart? Was there some new game plus thing I missed?

Also gently caress DS1 for letting you very slowly level your main sword and then just giving you a rank max sword for the last portion. All that grinding and deliberately not using sidearms to rank up my blade and they just overwrite it all.

Nah the ending of Darksiders 1 is really bad, they pretty clearly ran out of time/money because the last dungeon is a real steamy pile too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Yeah I hosed up my original playthrough of the first Dead Space by getting the PS3 pre-order armor. It was available the first time you ran into an armor upgrade station and it was as good as the endgame story armor. Also you couldn't take it off until the end because the game wouldn't let you downgrade your armor type.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Nah the ending of Darksiders 1 is really bad, they pretty clearly ran out of time/money because the last dungeon is a real steamy pile too.

The ending for Darksiders 1 was decent for building up to a sequel. The problem is that we got a sequel that didn't build on it, and was a side story that ignored the setting from the original game. They took a setting involving Heaven, Hell and the apocalypse and ignored it for not-Norse.

The final dungeon in Darksiders 1 was pretty crap, though. And the one boss that is just riding on your horse and shooting at it for half an hour. It wasn't a hard boss, just that the only thing that hurt it was your weakest weapon.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The world of Darksiders seemed really cool to me and I wish they could have done more with it

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always liked the Scotsman i mean, the Old One. Especially when the Angel is trying to lift his hammer and he's just like "Here! Allow me!" and crushes him with it. He is the most fun character in both games.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Randalor posted:

They took a setting involving Heaven, Hell and the apocalypse and ignored it for not-Norse.

I always feel like it caught a nasty case of Warcraftitis. Darksiders 1 took place on Earth in an urban setting, and I thought that was really cool. The dungeon that was basically just a bunch of apartment buildings overtaken by a giant spider I thought was incredibly creative and cool, same with the dungeon in the train station. Imagine my surprise when the first part of Darksiders 2 took place in Giant Dwarf Azeroth or whatever the gently caress.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Morpheus posted:

On the other hand, if DLC equipment isn't super powerful and easy to access then people complain about getting ripped off.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
In a weird coincidence, I'm pretty sure Darksiders 2 had DLC gear that completely tore the game apart too. I played the Wii U "GOTY" version or whatever it is and there's a chest in the first town that has a ton of godlike gear for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I do hate it when a sequel decides to rehash a previously-defeated villain as a surprise in a sequel too many times:

Shodan in System Shock 2 worked wonders because she had the best entrance ever, and because no one had ever played System Shock 1 because it didn't exist.

The Arkham series killed off the Joker in City, only to bring him back in Knight at everyone else's expense, because they honestly couldn't think of working Scarecrow as an independent threat

Zant in Twilight Princess starts making chicken noises the moment we face him, neutering any of his menace or originality, just so Ganondorf can appear and tell Link the game is really called Ocarina of Time 2.

The child-friendly Mega Man series would have improved immensely had Dr Wily been graphically shot in the head and never returned.

Psycho Mantis's ghost shows up in MGS4 for nothing but fanservice, and his touching deathbed confession is completely ignored in favour of more 4th-wall breaking antics.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 17:11 on Jun 30, 2016