Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've played that game in DosBox without issues on a five year old netbook. DosBox can get choppy if you assign too many cycles. You'll need to whip up a custom ini file for DosBox, probably, and maybe mess with rendering, resolution and scaling options as well.

You wouldn't happen to have your settings handy, would you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Keenspace and Keenspot. So much poo poo.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mak0rz posted:

You wouldn't happen to have your settings handy, would you?
Apparently I've overwritten them with settings more suitable for Impulse Tracker and the game won't start at all on my newer laptop for whatever reason, so you're out of luck as far as that goes.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

klafbang posted:

Keenspace and Keenspot. So much poo poo.

You forget Top 100 weblists. A vicious cycle of getting people to click on banner ads to creep their webcomics up the ladder while making GBS threads on anyone below.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Mak0rz posted:

I have a question:

Yesterday I tried playing this old game I used to love called Chasm: The Rift in DOSbox. Well turns out Chasm has pretty high system requirements for a DOS game so it runs like poo poo and has framerate issues even on 300x200. If I were to use something like FreeDOS instead, would the game run a little better?

Yes, in fact a lot better, but you'd have no sound.

If you're running linux you could try out dosemu2 instead, it's not so hard on the system. This is good for some games on older x86 computers like netbooks. DosBox can generally be quite difficult to do for slower machines.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

WebDog posted:

You forget Top 100 weblists. A vicious cycle of getting people to click on banner ads to creep their webcomics up the ladder while making GBS threads on anyone below.

Guys make sure you vote for my comic on this other website. When you do, you'll get to see a dumb picture I drew.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Flipperwaldt posted:

Apparently I've overwritten them with settings more suitable for Impulse Tracker and the game won't start at all on my newer laptop for whatever reason, so you're out of luck as far as that goes.

Oh well. I'll play with the cycle settings then, thanks. One problem is that I'm forced to use simple core emulation because any other option just kills the game dead.

Police Automaton posted:

Yes, in fact a lot better, but you'd have no sound.

If you're running linux you could try out dosemu2 instead, it's not so hard on the system. This is good for some games on older x86 computers like netbooks. DosBox can generally be quite difficult to do for slower machines.

Dammit. Is sound just not a priority with FreeDOS?

No Linux here, but I'll keep that in mind if I decide to install it again. My computer isn't exactly old or lovely. It's a ThinkPad T540p and it can run last generation games on max settings without much issue.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Mak0rz posted:

Dammit. Is sound just not a priority with FreeDOS?

No Linux here, but I'll keep that in mind if I decide to install it again. My computer isn't exactly old or lovely. It's a ThinkPad T540p and it can run last generation games on max settings without much issue.

It's not like that, FreeDOS is no emulation, it's an OS. (yes the CPU architecture is that backwards compatible) There's just no driver support in the games for how sound in modern computers such as yours works like and implementing something that'll work with everything it is very non-trivial, partly because of how the hardware works and partly because of how the OS/the software works. It'll probably never happen.

That being said, a quick google of your hardware shows me that it should probably run even more demanding stuff fine, you probably have a configuration issue somewhere.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Police Automaton posted:

That being said, a quick google of your hardware shows me that it should probably run even more demanding stuff fine, you probably have a configuration issue somewhere.

It lags every now and then but otherwise runs perfectly fine on its default settings (300x200). I'd just like to set it to 640x480 and have it be playable. Like the good ol' days.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

It lags every now and then but otherwise runs perfectly fine on its default settings (300x200). I'd just like to set it to 640x480 and have it be playable. Like the good ol' days.

Check Vogons, I'm sure somebody there has some Dosbox tweaks that will help you.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Make sure DOSBox is set to OpenGL output and your monitor's native resolution. You'd think that running at the original resolution would be fastest, but modern video hardware doesn't always like low resolutions.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
You can dynamically adjust the CPU cycles in DosBox using keyboard shortcuts - Ctrl-F10 and Ctrl-F11 I think.

Does anyone know of an archive/collection of old gaming magazine coverdisks (floppies) images? It'd be a nice nostalgia blast to dig up some of them, particularly those from the Atari ST days.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Squish posted:

Does anyone know of an archive/collection of old gaming magazine coverdisks (floppies) images? It'd be a nice nostalgia blast to dig up some of them, particularly those from the Atari ST days.
Archive.org has you covered for CDs. Floppy images I think are a bit trickier owing to mixed disc formats of the day.

Found a file dump of Atari ST things.

BogDew has a new favorite as of 12:07 on Jul 1, 2016

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Far out... That is some dump.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I know this is going to delve into gaming a bit, but I feel that it's relevant to the current discussion. Back in the early 2000s, computer had become powerful enough to properly emulate SNES and Genesis games at a reasonable framerate. All of a sudden, you have access to a bunch of retro games that were between 500kb to 5megs in size. This was great for dialup since you could download most games within 30 minutes. Queue up massive numbers of sites that hosted ROMS including poo poo which required you to "vote on these 3 sites to download your ROM". They also had this disclaimer which stated something to the effect of "Congress provides laws where consumers can have computer backups of their software. If you do not physically own the game you are downloading, delete it within 24 hours". I think the majority of my middle school years were spent downloading Final Fantasy ROMs from sites that had hentai banner adds.

AIM was a huge deal in the early to mid 2000s. I think pretty much everybody at my high school had a user name. Also spent an inordinate amount of time making custom user icons for people. Even got a hold of a pirated copy of Photoshop 7.0 and learned how to make peoples names in lightning bolts and poo poo. Software piracy wasn't even a consideration. No DRM, just CD Keys. gently caress I remember going to sites like https://www.ballericons.com and downloading poo poo from there for AIM.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Vargatron posted:

I know this is going to delve into gaming a bit, but I feel that it's relevant to the current discussion. Back in the early 2000s, computer had become powerful enough to properly emulate SNES and Genesis games at a reasonable framerate. All of a sudden, you have access to a bunch of retro games that were between 500kb to 5megs in size. This was great for dialup since you could download most games within 30 minutes. Queue up massive numbers of sites that hosted ROMS including poo poo which required you to "vote on these 3 sites to download your ROM". They also had this disclaimer which stated something to the effect of "Congress provides laws where consumers can have computer backups of their software. If you do not physically own the game you are downloading, delete it within 24 hours". I think the majority of my middle school years were spent downloading Final Fantasy ROMs from sites that had hentai banner adds.

AIM was a huge deal in the early to mid 2000s. I think pretty much everybody at my high school had a user name. Also spent an inordinate amount of time making custom user icons for people. Even got a hold of a pirated copy of Photoshop 7.0 and learned how to make peoples names in lightning bolts and poo poo. Software piracy wasn't even a consideration. No DRM, just CD Keys. gently caress I remember going to sites like https://www.ballericons.com and downloading poo poo from there for AIM.

Don't forget that law provided by congress was signed by Bill Clinton!

Old emulators were pretty poo poo but at the time just being able to play (almost) any game up to the 16-bit era was an insane revolution, like it was every kid's dream come true. The SNES emulators in particular were very fickle, they didn't do layering very well so you would have to actually disable layers in order to parts of the screen, like that mist cave in FF2 would be impossible to go through unless you disabled the mist layer.

Neo-Geo emulation was huge, and was still relevant since new games were still coming out at the time. I remember that the KOF '99 release was supposed to be delayed so people would play it in the arcades first or some poo poo, and one of the team members ended up leaking the game way ahead of schedule and creating an insane amount of drama.

Also, Overclocked from OC Remix fame originally started as a web comic about the emulation scene, it was pretty drat bad from what I remember. Surprisingly the original website still exists at http://www.overclocked.org/

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I remember I downloaded my first SNES emulator in 1999. One of the first games I got was Zelda: A Link to the Past. The first time I played it the rain in the first part of the game was weird - it was only in the black bounding boxes for some other game objects. Same thing with the mist in the forest before you got the Master Sword and a few other parts of the game. I didn't know how it was supposed to look until I played it again several years later on better emulators, but just being able to play those games without needing an actual SNES was fantastic.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Speaking of emulation, I was going to post this as a legendary dead website but holy poo poo it still gets multiple daily updates: http://www.zophar.net/

e: o poo poo Dolphin 5.0 was released last week :getin: :hellyeah:

double edit: holy crap they're still putting out updates for NES emulators, how much can you possibly improve on emulating such an old system? I know there's that 1 SNES emulator project that's trying to do total 1:1 emulation, slowdowns and all, but still.

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Jul 1, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Speaking of emulation, I was going to post this as a legendary dead website but holy poo poo it still gets multiple daily updates: http://www.zophar.net/

That is the same layout they had in 2003, I swear to god.

I was a ZSNES fan, but it hasn't been updated in like 10 years and other stuff is better now and more maintained. I think it was the first emulator that ran the add on chips in Star Fox and Mega Man X3 correctly.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Vargatron posted:

That is the same layout they had in 2003, I swear to god.

I was a ZSNES fan, but it hasn't been updated in like 10 years and other stuff is better now and more maintained. I think it was the first emulator that ran the add on chips in Star Fox and Mega Man X3 correctly.

They redesigned the site around 2007, yeah. Before that it was that awesome dark blue 90's-website thing: http://web.archive.org/web/20010401004345/http://www.zophar.net/index.phtml

And yeah, nowadays if I want to jump into an SNES game really quick I just default to ZSNES. There's probably some better emulators out there, but I've never had a problem with ZSNES. I definitely remember when they added in chip support and it was a huge deal. Also when they got transparency layers right so you didn't have to disable a graphic layer to get through, say, Proto Dome in Chrono Trigger or the aforementioned FF2 Mist Cave.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I remember I downloaded my first SNES emulator in 1999. One of the first games I got was Zelda: A Link to the Past. The first time I played it the rain in the first part of the game was weird - it was only in the black bounding boxes for some other game objects. Same thing with the mist in the forest before you got the Master Sword and a few other parts of the game. I didn't know how it was supposed to look until I played it again several years later on better emulators, but just being able to play those games without needing an actual SNES was fantastic.

Yeah I think it was around the same time that ZSNES was getting regular updates, and, with often dramatic improvements every 2-3 releases; I was playing through Chrono Trigger for the very first time throughout that period. Each of these improvements incrementally made the game better, sometimes in subtle ways and other times the improvements were qutie striking. For example there's a spell that makes a rainbow coloured ring appear, change size and then shrink. However, in an earlier version of ZSNES the whole screen became that rainbow colour for the duration of what would have been this ring animation - I thought that was just how it was supposed to be. Seemed normal enough... And there's the wind sound, but that was a little more obvious that something was off - it would make a very harsh sine-wave tone generator kind of sound rather that the proper whooshing as it's supposed to sound.
You know how every so often, Crono or Frog will score a double hit? In my head I still hear the "woop, da ding" version of that each time it happens, from before the sound emulation was perfected.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

double edit: holy crap they're still putting out updates for NES emulators, how much can you possibly improve on emulating such an old system? I know there's that 1 SNES emulator project that's trying to do total 1:1 emulation, slowdowns and all, but still.

Most of the updates are weird edge-case behavior in crappy games which only one or two people played enough to notice.

And yeah, nowadays if I want to jump into an SNES game really quick I just default to ZSNES. There's probably some better emulators out there, but I've never had a problem with ZSNES. I definitely remember when they added in chip support and it was a huge deal. Also when they got transparency layers right so you didn't have to disable a graphic layer to get through, say, Proto Dome in Chrono Trigger or the aforementioned FF2 Mist Cave.

ZSNES is only slightly less outdated than Nesticle. At least grab something like Snes9x that was updated in the last decade and has a user interface that isn't a DOS relic.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I still maintain that 2xSAI was the best filter in ZSNES. Looked pretty close to an actual CRT rendering without the artifacting but just enough rough edges that it wasn't "perfect".

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The_Franz posted:

Most of the updates are weird edge-case behavior in crappy games which only one or two people played enough to notice.

ZSNES is only slightly less outdated than Nesticle. At least grab something like Snes9x that was updated in the last decade and has a user interface that isn't a DOS relic.

I like the old ZSNES interface :saddowns: and honestly I've never had even the slightest issue with using it. Back in the day Snes9x was nice since it was slightly more optimized, but that was back when emulating an SNES actually took an appreciable amount of system resources.

Vargatron posted:

I still maintain that 2xSAI was the best filter in ZSNES. Looked pretty close to an actual CRT rendering without the artifacting but just enough rough edges that it wasn't "perfect".

:agreed:, Super Eagle and the HQ4X one went way overboard on the smoothing.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

I'm trying to recall that possible vaporware computer tech that was to be the ultimate in software protection. It was called something like Palindrome or something and most spyware sites had some anti-palindrone banner.
The idea was that it was a hardware ID based security where even files were tagged to a machine making it impossible to share things across computers.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

WebDog posted:

I'm trying to recall that possible vaporware computer tech that was to be the ultimate in software protection. It was called something like Palindrome or something and most spyware sites had some anti-palindrone banner.
The idea was that it was a hardware ID based security where even files were tagged to a machine making it impossible to share things across computers.

Dunno what the original was but AFAIK that's essentially how Denuvo works (something involving your computer's specific hardware ID) and it's literally the first DRM that they haven't been able to crack. Off the top of my head Doom, Just Cause 3 and the new Tomb Raider are all still uncracked, despite JC3 coming out like 7 months ago.

e: I should add that I dunno about Tomb Raider but Doom and JC3 are loving awesome games well worth the money. Also Doom did the smart thing and actually released a playable demo for free; I've heard a lot of people talk about how the only reason they'll :filez: a game is because they don't want to commit without seeing if the game even runs well on their system or whatever (though the Steam refund policy is pretty great for that)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's not uncrackable i think they just keep updating it to stay ahead of crackers. At a certain point, it's just not worth it to try to break something when everyone has gotten sick of waiting for the crack and just buy the game.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

I recall this was supposed to be a next gen form of bios, so basically security checks were hardware based not software. Sort of like needing a dongle.

There was proposals back in the 90's to develop cards that came with the programme on them as opposed to installing to prevent unauthorized copying.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

It's not uncrackable i think they just keep updating it to stay ahead of crackers. At a certain point, it's just not worth it to try to break something when everyone has gotten sick of waiting for the crack and just buy the game.

I would consider that uncrackable, since a big part of modern cracks is blocking the game from phoning home. If they were able to crack it at one point and Denuvo updated their poo poo to counter it, you'd still see an early cracked version of the game floating around. You wouldn't be able to apply any updates until they cracked the updated DRM on the patches, but still.

Then again I have no loving clue how cracking DRM works so

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

WebDog posted:

I recall this was supposed to be a next gen form of bios, so basically security checks were hardware based not software. Sort of like needing a dongle.

There was proposals back in the 90's to develop cards that came with the programme on them as opposed to installing to prevent unauthorized copying.

Didn't Sony do something similar with their music CDs for a while until it turned out they were secretly installing DRM poo poo every time you put that Harvey Danger CD into your computer?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Didn't Sony do something similar with their music CDs for a while until it turned out they were secretly installing DRM poo poo every time you put that Harvey Danger CD into your computer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sorry did I say Harvey Danger I meant to say Switchfoot

I should dig through my old CD collection and see if there's anything with that poo poo on there

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

WebDog posted:

The Apple Lisa basically did this with programs back in 1983.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

What's with all the 'W's being italic?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

WebDog posted:

I remember something about this, I thought it was a Microsoft or Intel idea and Slashdot just melted the gently caress down over it, early 2000s?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SNES9x is kind of nice but the fucker hijacks a ton of your file associations, including .IMG and .BIN, thinking they're all SNES ROMs. As far as I know there's no way to stop it. I just use Higan now.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

The "is that what you want?" makes it sound like subtle emotional abuse.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

I remember something about this, I thought it was a Microsoft or Intel idea and Slashdot just melted the gently caress down over it, early 2000s?

Palladium!
It was a trusted computing platform concept pushed by Intel. a concept that had been knocking around for a while.

Hardware ID drm isn't new and around that time people were in a tizzy over XP asking you to reregister if you changed hardware. So the idea of a PC that locked everything to a unique thumbprint where changing the ram meant total lockout was terrifying.

TCP does exist today but only for encryption.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Just bring back decoder rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What's with all the 'W's being italic?

It was written by the Count from Sesame Street.