Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

zapplez posted:

Weed conference incoming at 1030.

Decrim for now? Extensive sales plan for legalization? Whole thing scrapped? We need committes for 10 more years?

I hope Trudeau just lights up a spliff, takes a selfie and peaces out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

Helsing posted:

I'm not a gun person so forgive my ignorance but I thought that part of the definition of an "assault rifle" was that the user can select between automatic or semi-automatic fire (somebody please correct me if I got that wrong). If these weapons can't switch to full auto then the media shouldn't be referring to them as "assault rifles", right? Though I guess it's my fault for taking a CBC reporter's description of a gun at face value.

I know this question provoked multiple long gun-nerdy posts but I prefer the Economist's definition:

quote:

The Economist explains: What makes the AR-15 an assault weapon?
[I]f an AR-15 can be used to assault large crowds of people, killing and maiming scores of them, on multiple occasions, it qualifies as an assault weapon.

If the C8 fits that definition, maybe we should have a discussion around whether every beat cop needs that kind of capability close at hand?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DariusLikewise posted:

There's been 2 high speed chases in Winnipeg in the last month or so. In the first one the driver disappeared for half an hour because he was on a highway? The other ended quickly as it was on Portage and busy as gently caress so gently caress yeah go police chopper :shrug:

For the price of the WPS tank and helicopter we could of had a body camera program.

It's ridiculous - we have some poo poo areas, yeah, but there is really no need for the helicopter or tank. Crime of that magnitude rarely happens. It's all street level stuff --- which the cameras would have been super beneficial.

Esp. against racist cops.

But boys and their toys, right?

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

zapplez posted:

Weed conference incoming at 1030.

Decrim for now? Extensive sales plan for legalization? Whole thing scrapped? We need committes for 10 more years?

Decriminalized for everyone except Marc and Jodie Emery.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

Court approves BCE friendly takeover of MTS.

It's adorable that people seem to actually think that the people who are providing "oversight", many of whom will directly benefit from this deal, are going to give a poo poo about the ramifications for anybody else.

Then again, overwhelming political naivety seems to be the hallmark of Manitobans lately so I guess this figures.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guy DeBorgore posted:

I know this question provoked multiple long gun-nerdy posts but I prefer the Economist's definition:

If the C8 fits that definition, maybe we should have a discussion around whether every beat cop needs that kind of capability close at hand?

Its far from every beat cop having that capability. Of a regular platoon of 12-15 officers usually only 1-4 might actually take a patrol rifle out with them in their cruiser.

Im struggling to find a single example of a Canadian officer to have used a patrol rifle in an unjustified use of force. They are kept in the patrol car at all times and only carried by officers with extra training and re-certification every few years. They are only taken out of vehicle when approaching a call with an armed person, barricaded person or some sort of active shooter call. You want 'beat cops' with long arm capability exactly for the reasons like school shootings, terrorism, etc.

They also replace shotguns, the AR15 format is incredibly more accurate and controlled. Not to mention easier to operate for smaller or less experienced officers.

And they are much better firearm than the handgun for the most common use of police firearms in Canada. Dispatching struck deer/moose/cows on roadways.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 30, 2016

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Betcha they're cracking down on dispensaries across the country or something like that. If it was something good, Trudeau would be announcing it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Vintersorg posted:

It's ridiculous - we have some poo poo areas, yeah, but there is really no need for the helicopter or tank. Crime of that magnitude rarely happens. It's all street level stuff --- which the cameras would have been super beneficial.

Esp. against racist cops.

But boys and their toys, right?

The Winnipeg police pretty much have all the tools and people they would ever need to fight crime in this city so I guess you're right. It's expected at this point that they are just going to buy things that make it appear that they are amping up safety.

Ontario is introducing a gender neutral option for it's health cards

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/06/29/ontario-introducing-gender-neutral-drivers-licences-health-cards

quote:

Ontario is introducing gender-neutral driver's licences and health cards.

Beginning in early 2017, drivers will be able to select X, instead of an M for male or F for female for their licences.

And this month, the province started issuing health cards that no longer display information about a person's sex on the front of the card.

People who want a new health card without the sex identifier before their regular renewal date can obtain one immediately through ServiceOntario at no cost.

The Liberal government says it is making these changes "to ensure the fair, ethical and equitable treatment of people with trans and non-binary gender identity."

Ontario will also launch public consultations this summer to develop policies on how the government collects, uses and displays sex and gender information on government forms and products.

"Many Ontarians do not identify as female or male," said Government and Consumer Services Minister Marie-France Lalonde.

"As society's understanding of gender evolves, government must adapt. Part of that is being more thoughtful about how and when we collect gender or sex information, and how we use it."

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DariusLikewise posted:

There's been 2 high speed chases in Winnipeg in the last month or so. In the first one the driver disappeared for half an hour because he was on a highway? The other ended quickly as it was on Portage and busy as gently caress so gently caress yeah go police chopper :shrug:

For the price of the WPS tank and helicopter we could of had a body camera program.

"Alright boys, we can have toys or transparency, what'll it be?"

"TOYS, TOYS, TOYS, TOYS, TOYS"

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

BattleMaster posted:

I want these except only if Pux evolves from Puk which is just a single puck.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I'd have voted for this if it were an option. (I live in the land of Green, so you can't pin it on me.)

The guy who owns the dispensary I go to, which is one of the really slick operations that looks like a brand new BCAA office or something, has zero fears about his business. They won't sell without a member card, which you need to have a prescription to get. (They'll set you up with a free naturopath skype session to get one. There are almost no answers that yield a "no weed for you," answer.) You can only buy once a day, but you can buy as much as you want. He thinks that it'll pass muster if things get more strict. I'm not there often, but the line usually has one typical stoner, someone looking amazed they're doing this legally, and someone you'd expect to see at a Rotary luncheon.

They also have a crushingly bored looking security guy out front, but I stopped chatting with him because he surpassed goon levels of creepy. I don't care if you think it's super cool your boss sells cannabis infused personal lubricant, you probably shouldn't bring it up unprompted while standing too close to a woman whose name you don't even know.

...the weed lube is hilarious, though. People buy the weirdest poo poo.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 30, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
So let me get this straight. If you want to buy weed, you can legally do so by obtaining permission from a medical quack. The manner in which the weed is produced is professional, legal and taxed.

So we need to legalize weed because this is way too much when you want to get stoned off your face right

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Other provinces don't get naturopaths power to hand out prescriptions so I guess BC is stupid that regard

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

So let me get this straight. If you want to buy weed, you can legally do so by obtaining permission from a medical quack. The manner in which the weed is produced is professional, legal and taxed.

So we need to legalize weed because this is way too much when you want to get stoned off your face right

Personal benefits aside, it astonishes me how legitimised naturopathy has become. At least the legitimising came with policy to restrict their practices, but it's surprisingly lax and poorly enforced. I'm completely fine with using a quack to get a bullshit prescription to buy something I consider far less dangerous than liquor, however. The two things I get out of a dispensary that I didn't get out of a sketchy guy behind an ice cream shop in Chase are convenience and control of dosing... the same thing I get from a BC Liquor Store when I want whiskey.

I strongly wish for more research of actual--not anecdotal--medical value of cannabis. Right now we're pretty sure it has worthwhile health benefits, but we don't know much about long-term consequences, and it's a total crap shot figuring out dosage/medium if you're actually trying to accomplish something like reducing seizures, migraines, or manage pain. Some people want to believe it can cure cancer; that should really be debunked or proven.

Also, while the police don't give a crap if I keep weed candy on hand for headaches and awesome new album releases, the ministry can get awfully tetchy about administering it to children. There is a whole world of difference between me buying tincture as a toy and a mom buying tincture to get hospital visits down from two a week--but right now, we're using the same system. Personally, I'd be totally okay with taxing the gently caress out of recreational weed while building up an infrastructure of knowledge and pharmaceutical grade medication. Weed isn't cocaine, but it isn't Tylenol either.

FWIW I don't get the sense that the rest of BC has really embraced the dispensaries. You can't throw a rock without hitting one in Vancouver, and in Victoria you're probably 10 minutes away from one tops, but places that vote red are treading more cautiously.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Truth

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Pixelante posted:

Weed isn't cocaine, but it isn't Tylenol either.

Correct. Acetaminophen kills.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You want to give kids weed

Shut it down guys this thread is done

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

sliderule posted:

Correct. Acetaminophen kills livers.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
At least the Liberals are doing the right thing and keeping pot out of the hands of the youths (and everyone else). Pretty crystal clear message if you're a dispensary owner.

quote:

The Trudeau government will not provide an amnesty to current pot users and will continue to support the crackdown on illegal dispensaries as a nine-member panel draws up Canada’s new legal marijuana framework.

The government unveiled on Thursday the Task Force on Marijuana Legalization and Regulation that will consult Canadians and propose a series of new rules to the government by the end of the year. The Liberals have promised to unveil legislation to legalize the consumption of marijuana for recreational purposes by the spring of 2017.

“The possession, production, and trafficking of marijuana remain illegal. This includes storefronts selling marijuana, commonly known as ‘dispensaries’ and ‘compassion clubs,’” the government said in a news release.

“The Government of Canada does not intend to decriminalize marijuana possession in the interim. Decriminalization would benefit criminal organizations, would not provide any regulatory control over the quality and safety of the marijuana, and would not help keep marijuana out of the hands of youth,” the statement added.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/liberals-to-keep-prosecuting-pot-users-until-bill-introduced-by-next-spring/article30700349/

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Not just livers. It's deadly. Reports that have not been made public show 68 Canadians a year, on average, died of acetaminophen overdose, between 2000 and 2011.

quote:

The Johnson & Johnson report, marked “confidential” and dated September 2014, was released internally and never shared with Health Canada. It documents 820 deaths associated with acetaminophen overdose between 2000 and 2011. The report also notes there were more than 26,300 acetaminophen-related hospitalizations between 2004 and 2013 — an analysis that does not include British Columbia or Quebec.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
That's because for the longest time they were saying something dumb like 4000mg a day is safe, when it's not and starts toxicity.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ikantski posted:

Betcha they're cracking down on dispensaries across the country or something like that. If it was something good, Trudeau would be announcing it.

Congratulations, you win first prize (nothing).

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

Other provinces don't get naturopaths power to hand out prescriptions so I guess BC is stupid that regard

Someone shared this video a few pages ago and since I'm from Manitoba, I just assumed it was a livestream of the BC Legislature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL-RQLQknLc

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jm20 posted:

That's because for the longest time they were saying something dumb like 4000mg a day is safe, when it's not and starts toxicity.

Also a lot of people don't know they mustn't take it with alcohol, and occasionally people will combine multiple medications containing acetaminophen without realizing it. I'm led to believe it's quite safe if used according to all instructions, but when we literally need signs posted through downtown telling people to obey red lights so they don't get hit by trains, maybe we shouldn't automatically assume that people are going to read and follow the instructions.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

eXXon posted:

Congratulations, you win first prize (nothing).

Well, the main reason was to announce the task force and timelines (recommendations in november, legislation on 4/20). For some bizarre reason, the panel accepted a question by phone and it was some goon complaining for 6 minutes about how it's legal for medicinal users to grow their own plants but he can't and it's legal to brew alcohol at home and it was amazing, the whole panel just kind of rolled their eyes and ended on that note.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Potheads really are their own worst enemies.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ikantski posted:

At least the Liberals are doing the right thing and keeping pot out of the hands of the youths (and everyone else). Pretty crystal clear message if you're a dispensary owner.

Good thing all the police agencies in the country agree on the clarity of that message and its applicability to their jurisdiction.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

New Coke posted:

Wouldn't a drone be able to do all of that for a fraction of the cost?

Oh, I'm sure they'll move to drones as soon as they can for that reason.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

El Scotch posted:

Oh, I'm sure they'll move to drones as soon as they can for that reason.

They can't be one of those run of the mill drones though. What if there was an active shooter and the drone sees it? Clearly for the safety of the people and to maintain peace the city police needs drones with Hellfire missiles.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Police drones are one of those common sense cost-saving measures that could probably save a few lives per year by avoiding unnecessary car chases but which also bring us a giant leap closer to our horrible dystopian future where you are under constant and permanent surveillance.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhbuEUoxntQ

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/northern-gateway-pipeline-federal-court-of-appeal-1.3659561

quote:

The Federal Court of Appeal has overturned approval of Enbridge's controversial Northern Gateway project after finding Ottawa failed to properly consult the First Nations affected by the pipeline.

"We find that Canada offered only a brief, hurried and inadequate opportunity … to exchange and discuss information and to dialogue," the ruling says.

"It would have taken Canada little time and little organizational effort to engage in meaningful dialogue on these and other subjects of prime importance to Aboriginal Peoples. But this did not happen."

gently caress yes

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I can already hear the conservative outrage. Thank god CBC news articles don't have a comment section on articles dealing with aboriginal issues.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
good gently caress BC gently caress alberta and gently caress enbridge

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
I'm not neccessarily opposed to the pipeline but I'm definitely not opposed to Enbridge having to drop a boatload of cash and design concessions on some BC First Nations so I certify this ruling as Good and hope it holds on appeal.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Best news all day.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

InfiniteZero posted:

Someone shared this video a few pages ago and since I'm from Manitoba, I just assumed it was a livestream of the BC Legislature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL-RQLQknLc

Canadian style ASMR is weird.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
In other news, B.C. has admitted that Real Estate might not be perfectly run as-is

http://business.financialpost.com/p...-damning-report

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Yes! Yes!!

namaste faggots posted:

gently caress enbridge

Yes, I vociferously agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

You could at least take something less than orgasmic pleasure in this, you know.