Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

And also that someone may have already pre-ordered for the limited edition of last guardian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

What is that PoP Vita game?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Heads up that Trails in the Sky FC has been removed from the EU store, no reason given.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Saoshyant posted:

Heads up that Trails in the Sky FC has been removed from the EU store, no reason given.
Whaaaaaat I'd been waiting for it to drop in price :argh:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

irlZaphod posted:

What is that PoP Vita game?

It's a PSP Port of Warrior Within. It's got new stages but I think the godsmack was also removed. It was the first game I got for my PSP back when I was a babby Baal.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Baal posted:

I think the godsmack was also removed.

Definitive edition

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Next month could be Bloodborne, Doom, and The Last Guardian and people would still find a reason it sucks.

I bet in like 5 years Bloodborne will be on PS Plus and I'll relish the opportunity to invade and pwn all the noobs in it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, I'm honestly not seeing how ZTD is going to get cleared for PSTV release, almost every puzzle I've come across is essentially touch-only. No gyro/camera requirement, but the touch requirements are crazy-high.

Also, here's a super-minor spoiler tip (not so much a spoiler as some information for a bugged pixel hunt) because drat near everyone is getting stuck with this in the Biolab due what is effectively a game bug because a hit box is way smaller than it should be.

There's a manual for the centrifuge on the shelving unit to its right, pretty much dead-center of the screen, on top of a box, which at least on 3DS and Vita will mostly blend in with the rest of the surroundings as a white speck which can be mistaken for a label on the box. The thing is its hitbox is super-hosed and way smaller than it should be, so what SHOULD register as a click on it will often register as the generic message if you click anywhere else. I had to watch a video walkthrough to find it and even then it took me like 3 attempts to get it to actually give me the item.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I noticed that and picked it up immediately due to my large, smart brain.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In Training posted:

I noticed that and picked it up immediately due to my large, smart brain.

I noticed it but didn't click on it dead center. :negative:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Thoughts on Grim Fandango Remastered? Never played the original, but I've always been a huge fan of the old "use x on y" PC games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Minidust posted:

Thoughts on Grim Fandango Remastered? Never played the original, but I've always been a huge fan of the old "use x on y" PC games.

It's the last of the LucasArts classics but the game is surprisingly difficult from Act 2 onwards, and is a bit frustratingly janky compared to newer Telltale games in some ways.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can't speak for the quality of the remaster as such, but Grim Fandango is one of the best oldschool adventure games out there and the remaster can't have hosed it up too badly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Minidust posted:

Story wise it's probably LucasArts best game, but the puzzles are unnecessarily convoluted at times though, coming as it did at the tail end of the popularity of adventure games. It's definitely worth playing but there's no shame in using a guide if (when) you get thoroughly stuck.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

I can't speak for the quality of the remaster as such, but Grim Fandango is one of the best oldschool adventure games out there and the remaster can't have hosed it up too badly.

The remaster itself is fine in that it's a no-frills working version of the original game, which is actually a big deal since it's near-impossible to get the original non-remastered game working on a modern PC, as it has a 16-bit installer making getting it installed on a 64-bit OS difficult, and at least one puzzle is sensitive to your processor's speed and impossible if your CPU is above 300 MHz.

Also unless you are very seasoned at playing through adventure games to encounter every possible dialogue branch you're going to be hard-pressed to get the platinum (every optional trophy involves a specific line of dialogue being uttered); if you're intent on this you will definitely want multiple saves as several have narrow windows in the game where they can be triggered. Two in particular are almost impossible to find on your own.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

univbee posted:

The remaster itself is fine in that it's a no-frills working version of the original game

The soundtrack was completely rerecorded and the controls are revamped so you don't have to use tank controls, that's not really "no-frills."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You have to use tank controls if you want the platinum :shepface:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Cool, thanks for the Grim Fandango feedback guys. According to PSprices this is the cheapest it's ever been, so I'll definitely jump on it! Heh I'll be prepared to look things up if necessary. I've gotten pretty good at figuring out wonky Lucasarts logic, but sometimes a relatively minor thing gets me (had to look online for a part in the Monkey Island 2 remaster; turns out this thing that was in plain sight was actually a separate area if you walked up to it, which only then allowed you to interact with it).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

The soundtrack was completely rerecorded and the controls are revamped so you don't have to use tank controls, that's not really "no-frills."

Ah, I never played it when it first came out so I didn't know about the soundtrack.

Sakurazuka posted:

You have to use tank controls if you want the platinum :shepface:

Ahaha I forgot about this, although for some reason tank controls never bothered me. I think I got used to them with Alone in the Dark on PC way the hell back in the day.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Interesting month for PS+. I got Gat Out of Hell in the last Christmas sale and it's really a nice pick. Not too long, not too short, quite a bit of fun.

Bound in Blood might make me fire up my PS3 again for the first time in a while, if it's even 75% the game that Gunslinger was.

As far as the sale goes, actually kind of relieved there's nothing really pulling my strings besides DOOM. Still, the $15 credit code should be coming before it's over, might pull the trigger as I like few things better than a really fun single player FPS.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Edit: wrong thread

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Minidust posted:

I've gotten pretty good at figuring out wonky Lucasarts logic, but sometimes a relatively minor thing gets me (had to look online for a part in the Monkey Island 2 remaster; turns out this thing that was in plain sight was actually a separate area if you walked up to it, which only then allowed you to interact with it).

I made it through Act 1 OK, but Act 2 is an absolutely huge map you can free-travel in which takes bloody ages to get around in, and I got stuck in a hurry there because many of the puzzles there are several layers deep and usually have 1 or 2 aspects that are really obtuse and require an absurd level of putting the pieces together in your head. Also a few puzzles have really sensitive hotspots that are difficult to zero in on.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

capcom hosed up their RE5 port and enemies/npcs on screen drop the fps down to the 40's

RE6 runs at 60 on ps4 no problem but for some reason they blew it on this one.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

univbee posted:

at least one puzzle is sensitive to your processor's speed and impossible if your CPU is above 300 MHz.

What part is this? Just curious

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The part in the elevator. Elevator speed is tied to processor speed so you can't possibly do the thing you need to do in time.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

The part in the elevator. Elevator speed is tied to processor speed so you can't possibly do the thing you need to do in time.

It is kind of interesting how, of all the game genres, adventure games seem to be the most impacted by processor speed shenanigans, I feel like more adventure games get screwed by this than all other genres combined. I felt a lot better about not 100%ing the 7th Guest when I found that out later.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Likely just because timing based puzzles were common and the easiest way to time stuff was to use clock speed.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Likely just because timing based puzzles were common and the easiest way to time stuff was to use clock speed.

The 7th Guest one is interesting since it's not obvious what's happening, it just appears to be a total bullshit puzzle.

The microscope puzzle has you playing a game of...Othello, I think? But it's programmed in a very strange way.

Basically the enemy A.I. follows a crude list of possible moves, and picks the best move it can find in one second of processing time or some such. Unfortunately, on high-end Pentiums or faster, this means the game actually has enough CPU horsepower to test every possible move in that amount of time, and thus effectively plays perfectly against you, I'm not even 100% sure it's beatable (it definitely isn't if you yourself don't also play perfectly). I'm assuming but not 100% sure that this is addressed in the GOG version by running on less cycles via DOSBox.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Minidust posted:

Cool, thanks for the Grim Fandango feedback guys. According to PSprices this is the cheapest it's ever been, so I'll definitely jump on it! Heh I'll be prepared to look things up if necessary. I've gotten pretty good at figuring out wonky Lucasarts logic, but sometimes a relatively minor thing gets me (had to look online for a part in the Monkey Island 2 remaster; turns out this thing that was in plain sight was actually a separate area if you walked up to it, which only then allowed you to interact with it).

Get yourself a copy of Gabriel Knight 3 and figure all of it out. You'll be a master of obtuse logic after.

Edit: Ugh. I forgot about that 7th guest puzzle. The Blood and Honey one and the last one (that was kind of like Go with beans) in the 11th Hour bring back painful memories.

Watrick fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 30, 2016

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

univbee posted:

It is kind of interesting how, of all the game genres, adventure games seem to be the most impacted by processor speed shenanigans, I feel like more adventure games get screwed by this than all other genres combined. I felt a lot better about not 100%ing the 7th Guest when I found that out later.
I recall Space Quest IV having an impossible section on newer computers, something with space cops chasing you through a mall and the cops were just way too fast to deal with if you were on like a Pentium

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Overpowered hardware unexpectedly breaking games is cool, like when they first put RE4 on steam and all the button mashing QTEs were impossible because they tied completion to some input/second threshold and when the framerate is 60fps the required inputs became faster than human beings could actually do.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

In Training posted:

Overpowered hardware unexpectedly breaking games is cool, like when they first put RE4 on steam and all the button mashing QTEs were impossible because they tied completion to some input/second threshold and when the framerate is 60fps the required inputs became faster than human beings could actually do.
The issue has been around for some 30 years. Computers used to come standard with "turbo" buttons, it was literally that prevalent.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Minidust posted:

I recall Space Quest IV having an impossible section on newer computers, something with space cops chasing you through a mall and the cops were just way too fast to deal with if you were on like a Pentium

Yeah, there's a ton of stuff like that, also Leisure Suit Larry 3 "randomizes" the number of reps you have to do in a gym at one point in the game by tying it to your clock speed. You have to do thousands on a Pentium.

Kenny Logins posted:

The issue has been around for some 30 years. Computers used to come standard with "turbo" buttons, it was literally that prevalent.

Tech support was so much easier back then. "My computer is slow" (pushes button to reactivate the extra CPU power) "Oh wow!"

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Ha, I remember ages ago playing one of the Police Quest sequels where you drive your patrol car around by clicking the gas to up 5mph, the brake to go down 5mph, and clicking right or left arrows to turn before you reached the intersection. Problem was it was nearly impossible to slow down in time so your partner is always yelling at you for blowing stop signs before you careen off the road and die.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm super stoked about Furi.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Montalvo posted:

I'm super stoked about Furi.

I'm super-furious about Stök.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

univbee posted:

I'm super-furious about Stök.

how do you feel about Stōk

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

univbee posted:

fuckn quest for glory man that one dude on the walkway puzzle inthe bandit lair smh

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Super No Vacancy posted:

fuckn quest for glory man that one dude on the walkway puzzle inthe bandit lair smh

hahahahahahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CrashCat posted:

how do you feel about Stōk

• Locked thread