Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

ChairMaster posted:

I don't imagine such a card would ever be offered by either company, that's not really their business model. I treat my credit cards like that anyways, there's no reason to carry a fuckin balance on your card and pay interest for no reason, but I think they make their money off of dumb people who do.

It doesn't really matter what you imagine because charge cards exist (Amex Green/Gold/PRG/Platinum are all examples of them) and make up most of Amex's high-end line. They serve a complementary purpose to the rest of a company's credit card line and generally are targeted at high income/credit score individuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

namaste faggots posted:

If you earn that much why the gently caress do you need the credit? Wait no I know the answer to that it's because Canadians are literally loving children who can never pass the marshmallow test

I know a couple that pull in that much who are up to their eye balls in consumer debt.

At one point a few years ago they met with a financial advisor, put together a plan for paying down their debts, and were clear of it quickly, down to a single paid off credit card each.

Then they both finished paying their student loans. For some reason that caused them to get right back into buying as much poo poo as they could fit in their house/ newly made barn to put poo poo in, and they accepted every credit card that showed up in the mail, and now they're worse off than they were before.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namaste faggots posted:

Ladies and gentlemen I present a goon who was born yesterday

I think you mean "lol more supply amirite?"

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

BC Real Estate Problem Solved.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/christy-clark-real-estate-report-1.3658442 posted:

'We are going to end the right of the B.C. real estate sector to self regulate,' premier says
"The real estate sector has had 10 years to get it right and they haven't."

By Jason Proctor, Karin Larsen, CBC News Posted: Jun 29, 2016 12:25 PM PT Last Updated: Jun 29, 2016 1:31 PM PT

"The real estate sector has had 10 years to get it right on self regulation and they haven't," said Clark at a Vancouver new conference.

Clark said the right to regulate the industry will be taken away from the Real Estate Council of B.C.and put into the hands of a newly established and dedicated superintendent of real estate.

"The point of regulation is to protect people, to protect consumers," she said. "Self regulation is a privilege."

The announcement comes a day after a special advisory group issued a damning report on a decade of self regulation, which recommended several measures, including raising maximum fines for misconduct from $10,000 to $250,000 for agents.

The panel made 28 recommendations aimed at recognising the public interest, but they were not asked to consider independent regulation.

In announcing the move towards an independent regulator, Clark said the plan was part of a series of steps her government will be making towards addressing what has been viewed as a crisis of both affordability and speculation in the real estate market.

She said the hiring process for a new superintendent of real estate has already begun. The position of Real Estate Superintendent currently exists, but is one of several titles held by the head of the Financial Institutions Commission of B.C.

"It is primarily important that we protect consumers," she said. "But the role of the real estate council and regulation is also to protect the vast majority of realtors who are honest, hard working people from having their reputations tarnished by a few shady operators."

Allegations of questionable practices in the industry have been growing in B.C.'s hot market, including those of real estate agents "double-ending" deals in which an agent represents both buyer and seller and reselling or '"shadow flipping" contract assignments without the homeowner's knowledge

Speaking shortly before Clark's announcement, Finance Minister Michael de Jong said the public was right to ask why the industry should still have the right to self-regulate.

The issues of housing supply and real estate regulation promise to be crucial ones with an election looming in B.C. next year.

Clark said the government plans to introduce a number of measures to address both concerns in the coming months, focusing on increasing housing supply, helping first-time home buyers get into the market and "making sure that the dream of home ownership in British Columbia remains in the realm of possibility for the middle class."

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Femtosecond posted:

de Jong posted:

“I will tell you candidly, that ultimately our response to the housing and affordability challenges has centred around what are the things we can do not to depress or eliminate demand. We like the fact that people are coming from other parts of Canada, from other parts of the world to live in Vancouver, create jobs... The way we think ultimately we’re going to address that and meet the challenges that local folks are facing is to find ways to build a greater variety of homes and more of them.”

Translation: we "know" that reducing demand or increasing supply of single family homes in hot markets will reduce prices and we can't have that, so we are going to build poo poo you don't want in places you don't want to live because you have to live somewhere.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

unknown posted:

Tomorrow the president of the real estate council of Bc will resign and be appointed as superintendent of real estate.

Probably wont know how to use email.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

unknown posted:

Good. My (Toronto) agent and I were talking about the real estate industry the other week; her opinion was that they were going to get regulated to gently caress and back, and she couldn't wait.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The only regulation the real estate market needs is for the government to explicitly stop backing any loan for a house value thats more than 3x median income

Actually not backing any at all would be better but also politically unpalatable

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Call up a realtor, sound interested in the one true investment, sign a BRA, and proceed to give them the run around and excuses why each house is awful. Good times can be had people.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We'll never get floral shops or artisanal dog biscuit boutiques without that job creator immigration.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

jm20 posted:

Call up a realtor, sound interested in the one true investment, sign a BRA, and proceed to give them the run around and excuses why each house is awful. Good times can be had people.
Just always make lowball offers.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

blah_blah posted:

It doesn't really matter what you imagine because charge cards exist (Amex Green/Gold/PRG/Platinum are all examples of them) and make up most of Amex's high-end line. They serve a complementary purpose to the rest of a company's credit card line and generally are targeted at high income/credit score individuals.

I specifically said "either company" as in Visa or Mastercard. Does one of them offer a charge card?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ChairMaster posted:

I specifically said "either company" as in Visa or Mastercard. Does one of them offer a charge card?

In Europe it seems so.

wiki posted:

In Europe, the MasterCard-affiliated Maestro brand (which is a debit card rather than a charge card) replaced the European Eurocheque brand for payment cards in 2002. Many Eurocheque cards, particularly in such countries as Austria and Germany, were charge cards branded with the Eurocheque logo. In addition, the European Eurocard, issued as the competitor for American Express was, and in some countries (such as the Nordic countries) still is, a charge card.[citation needed] Therefore, the majority of MasterCards in these countries still are charge cards. Visa charge cards are also available in Europe.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

MickeyFinn posted:

Translation: we "know" that reducing demand or increasing supply of single family homes in hot markets will reduce prices and we can't have that, so we are going to build poo poo you don't want in places you don't want to live because you have to live somewhere.

The ALR is doomed.

I wonder if they are actually going to propose that as an election plank to finally "fix" the problem...

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
So you remember how your DARE officer used to say drug dealers would offer you your first hit for free?

That turned out to be a lie unfortunately. Other types of dealers however...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Butcher posted:

So you remember how your DARE officer used to say drug dealers would offer you your first hit for free?

Burn them all to the ground

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

cowofwar posted:

Just always make lowball offers.

Haha, act extremely confused and when told about others bidding over the asking price.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

jm20 posted:

A lot of these people are so desperate they will even pick you up and drive you around to each place so you dont need to spend a dime on transportation or fuel. You can have a lot of fun with it if you want! :v:

CI this ones for you buddy http://www.simcoe.com/news-story/6732573-barrie-considers-shipping-containers-as-affordable-housing-option/

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

The Butcher posted:

I am very thankful that I'm in a position where the idea of a cash advance doesn't make any sense to me. Like I see zero appeal in it.

The day I start thinking about it seriously, I'll know something is wrong. Kind of like buying a house.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The Butcher posted:

The ALR is doomed.

I wonder if they are actually going to propose that as an election plank to finally "fix" the problem...

- Claim that there are parts of the ALR land that is poor for farming and could be better used for housing.
- Promise during election to "review" ALR for "inefficiencies."
- When NDP protests argue that this is another example of the NDP being anti-development and anti-everything.
- Argue that NDP affordable housing policies would lower homeowner equity, which would hurt families.
- After winning the election take vast areas of Tsawwassen and Delta farmland out of the ALR for property development.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

triplexpac posted:

I am very thankful that I'm in a position where the idea of a cash advance doesn't make any sense to me. Like I see zero appeal in it.

The day I start thinking about it seriously, I'll know something is wrong. Kind of like buying a house.

A cash advance is always a horrible idea unless you have no other solution. I've only done one on purpose once because I needed actual cash and my loving poo poo debit card wasn't working because BMO is a gaggle of fuckstains.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol fuuuuuuuck kitimat

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Femtosecond posted:

- Claim that there are parts of the ALR land that is poor for farming and could be better used for housing.
- Promise during election to "review" ALR for "inefficiencies."
- When NDP protests argue that this is another example of the NDP being anti-development and anti-everything.
- Argue that NDP affordable housing policies would lower homeowner equity, which would hurt families.
- After winning the election take vast areas of Tsawwassen and Delta farmland out of the ALR for property development.

Do you work for the liberal strategy team? I'd put money on this happening verbatim. :stonkhat:

The best part is that anyone pointing this out after it happens will just be fast-ferried into silence.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Rime posted:

The best part is that anyone pointing this out after it happens will just be fast-ferried into silence.

Sort of like how VANOC won't have its books opened until 2025 when nobody will care.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

How is that possibly in the public interest? That's some bullllll-poo poo.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Lexicon posted:

How is that possibly in the public interest? That's some bullllll-poo poo.

LOL, you think governments work in the public interest, rather than exclusively act to ensure neither "decision makers" nor their immediate family members are lynched.

:laffo:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lmao

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

That's pretty cruel to trick people from Barrie into shipping containers only to tell them they're not going anywhere.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's pretty cruel to trick people from Barrie into shipping containers only to tell them they're not going anywhere.

barrie has a downtown?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

etalian posted:

barrie has a downtown?

City council has been trying to build a downtown ever since the last one burned down/exploded. Theyve spent something like 180 million on the waterfront over the last 25 years in an attempt to get Toronto people to stop there (since its right "downtown" :v:) instead of going to Wasaga Beach.

It still hasnt worked.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This is pretty much word for word my dads reaction to this as well. At least they arent buying bus tickets to ship the poor and homeless off to Peterborough anymore!

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

City council has been trying to build a downtown ever since the last one burned down/exploded. Theyve spent something like 180 million on the waterfront over the last 25 years in an attempt to get Toronto people to stop there (since its right "downtown" :v:) instead of going to Wasaga Beach.

It still hasnt worked.

This is pretty much word for word my dads reaction to this as well. At least they arent buying bus tickets to ship the poor and homeless off to Peterborough anymore!

Did that really happen? It would explain a lot.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Femtosecond posted:

Lol gently caress 'families' in this country I hope there is an earthquake, they all recede to the sea and loving drown.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Container homes will just get bid up like everything else, you need to really flood a market you need to get one or more of those container ships that aren't doing anything, load em up with empty containers and dock them in the harbour. Call them waterfront microsuites or something.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Shipping container homes are one of those weird zombie ideas that never die despite being discredited again and again. I mean this idea has been floating around as a typical architecture student thesis for decades but you never hear about a thriving shipping container home community. I wonder why? Because shipping containers make lousy loving homes.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Rime posted:

LOL, you think governments work in the public interest, rather than exclusively act to ensure neither "decision makers" nor their immediate family members are lynched.

:laffo:

My point being: usually they at least pretend that this is the case. I'm not sure how you do that with this Olympic thing.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Femtosecond posted:

Shipping container homes are one of those weird zombie ideas that never die despite being discredited again and again. I mean this idea has been floating around as a typical architecture student thesis for decades but you never hear about a thriving shipping container home community. I wonder why? Because shipping containers make lousy loving homes.

It's just really big lego blocks, let people have their fun.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Femtosecond posted:

my family has a shipping container cabin on mayne island. it's really nice except the shower is outside which is kind of awkward when my aunts are hanging around

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

the talent deficit posted:

my family has a shipping container cabin on mayne island. it's really nice except the shower is outside which is kind of awkward when my aunts are hanging around

Yes because the weather in coastal BC is the same as central Ontario and nothing could go wrong when we get a stretch of -40 weather in the winter or +40 in the summer.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm thinking there is some kind of idea amongst people who don't work in logistics that there are millions of used shipping containers just floating around like empty water bottles or something and wouldn't it be cool to use them. I would think that A) people actually use shipping containers to ship things in, a business that is still ongoing and that 2) if the container is no longer good for shipping things in then it's probably also not something you want to live in either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm thinking there is some kind of idea amongst people who don't work in logistics that there are millions of used shipping containers just floating around like empty water bottles or something and wouldn't it be cool to use them. I would think that A) people actually use shipping containers to ship things in, a business that is still ongoing and that 2) if the container is no longer good for shipping things in then it's probably also not something you want to live in either?

The thought is probably that there are so many of them being produced that they are standardized and economical to purchase. I have no idea how true that is.