Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Looking for some PS4 tips now that 1.24 is totally out for us. Magic or Summoner? We just killed WoF and my summoner seems piss weak compared to my ranger buddy. Which of those two will let me keep up with him best and what items do I need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Moochewmoo posted:

Looking for some PS4 tips now that 1.24 is totally out for us. Magic or Summoner? We just killed WoF and my summoner seems piss weak compared to my ranger buddy. Which of those two will let me keep up with him best and what items do I need?

Magic. Summoner was only introduced as a concept in 1.2. It would get expanded upon and fleshed out into an actual class in 1.3.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Whats the easiest way to keep yourself illuminated in 1.3? Back in the launch days a lot of the armor sets illuminated, as did some of the equitable items. But it seems like all those were patched out/severely reduced? I don't know what the reasoning was, it just makes night time/digging rustrating unless you have torches in your inventory. I'm on expert mode, just killed wall of flesh too, if that helps.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Avocados posted:

Whats the easiest way to keep yourself illuminated in 1.3? Back in the launch days a lot of the armor sets illuminated, as did some of the equitable items. But it seems like all those were patched out/severely reduced? I don't know what the reasoning was, it just makes night time/digging rustrating unless you have torches in your inventory. I'm on expert mode, just killed wall of flesh too, if that helps.
There are a series of "light pets" that follow you around and illuminate areas around you. Shadow Orbs are relatively easy to get, and illuminate the least. The hardmode ones are much better, but are more of a grind to get.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Avocados posted:

Always have torches/cursed torches and be obsessive about placing them everywhere. That's what I do.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I generally just use shift for everything. Holding shift and mousing over something pulls out the contextual tool to harvest that block/item, but if you mouse over open air you'll pull out a torch.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

NachtSieger posted:

Always have torches/cursed torches and be obsessive about placing them everywhere. That's what I do.
Yeah, just dedicate an area to being a tree farm and use the smart cursor to chop it all down and replant every so often, and just stock up on slime. If you keep a pile of wood and slime in your inventory you'll basically never run out torches, you just have to stop and fill up your stack of torches once in a while.

If you're low on slime somehow, just put a slime statue or three in a small box with some traps, wire both up to a timer, and let it run for a bit. Probably unnecessary unless you're actively avoiding killing slimes for some reason, but you can easily just pull the statues out and replace them with some other type of statue that spawns something with drops you want.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Shine potions are super easy to make and for most of the game your choices are either being fiddley with torches, not having a useful helmet with the mining light, or light pets that are bad until endgame

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Blind Duke posted:

Shine potions are super easy to make and for most of the game your choices are either being fiddley with torches, not having a useful helmet with the mining light, or light pets that are bad until endgame
I like slapping torches up everywhere because then I can see where I've been, and see what enemies are in areas I'm not personally lighting up. Using shine potions to see where to place the torches helps even with that, of course.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The magic lantern is a good light pet, you just need to find the skeleton merchant at the right time (full moon night).

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Avocados posted:

If you're in Expert Hardmode then you should be making a battery of at least Ironskin/Regeneration potions whenever you're going cave diving. Add in Shine potions as well--there's a reason all three have five minute cooldowns. Toss in Hunter, Dangersense, and Spelunker potions while you're at it and you're also lighting up anything you care about that isn't right next to you.

Potion based economies are the best.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Does melee speed effect things like flails and boomerangs? I am gearing up for expert WoF and beyond and would like to use flails but not sure how I should be statting my armor and trinkets. I know Godly is the best mod they can get, but I wasn't sure if that was because Legendary has +size, which they can't get, or if speed was also static for them.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I doubt it would affect them much. Speed has to do with how quickly it will refire after the previous button press, where flails are supposed to be held out and boomerangs rely on it returning.

Edit; I was wrong about flails, but I still doubt melee speed would do much.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 30, 2016

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Since someone asked about their crafting setup and crafting doesn't go without storage, I figured I'd share my storage and crafting system.
Everything you see here is the entirety of my storage: Anything that doesn't fit in here either gets sold or is put on display somewhere else. Most of these are either only 50% full, or they are about 90% full but there isn't really any more items in the game that fit the description and that I care to keep.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I know that it's been out literally 2 days, but has anyone tried the Wii U Terraria? I'm naturally averse to it due to the lack of content compared to the PC version, but I wonder how the controls work. Terraria was and remains a game made for mouse and keyboard, but perhaps the Wii U's characteristics and clever programming make it work well in a way that it wouldn't on, say, the PS4.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

I know that it's been out literally 2 days, but has anyone tried the Wii U Terraria? I'm naturally averse to it due to the lack of content compared to the PC version, but I wonder how the controls work. Terraria was and remains a game made for mouse and keyboard, but perhaps the Wii U's characteristics and clever programming make it work well in a way that it wouldn't on, say, the PS4.

I imagine the GamePad screen makes building a lot easier than it would be on PS4, but I can't say for certain.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

graynull posted:

Does melee speed effect things like flails and boomerangs? I am gearing up for expert WoF and beyond and would like to use flails but not sure how I should be statting my armor and trinkets. I know Godly is the best mod they can get, but I wasn't sure if that was because Legendary has +size, which they can't get, or if speed was also static for them.

Yoyos, at least, can't have the speed modifier innately. However, external speed modifiers will translate into increased yoyo range. Flails apparently can't have the size modifier, but I'm not sure for size on yoyos/speed on flails.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Gimbal lock posted:

Since someone asked about their crafting setup and crafting doesn't go without storage, I figured I'd share my storage and crafting system.
Everything you see here is the entirety of my storage: Anything that doesn't fit in here either gets sold or is put on display somewhere else. Most of these are either only 50% full, or they are about 90% full but there isn't really any more items in the game that fit the description and that I care to keep.

This is really cool and exactly the kind of thing I wanted to see for inspiration. Thanks for taking the time to detail everything!

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Blind Duke posted:

This guy gets it. They're made out of the two easiest things to farm. Just throw some bombs around in the desert to get sand for glass.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I played a lot when hallowed equipment was top of the line, and I briefly checked out the lizard temple, just to see if I could beat plantera and the golem. No sweat, so I uninstalled...

And deleted my guy and world. :(

I made an expert world this weekend and it has been pretty fun so far. Yo-yos are neat.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Molybdenum posted:

I played a lot when hallowed equipment was top of the line, and I briefly checked out the lizard temple, just to see if I could beat plantera and the golem. No sweat, so I uninstalled...

And deleted my guy and world. :(

I made an expert world this weekend and it has been pretty fun so far. Yo-yos are neat.

When I migrated computers I saved my characters and world to a removable HD, but haven't put them back on this one. Been having fun with a new dude (Found an Arkhalis). Sometimes you need that, so you get something of the new player experience again.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

When major content patches came out I'd never been able to just continue with an old character/world to check out the extended endgame, I'd always start over. It's just easier to get back into the game when you don't have to spend a bunch of time remembering how you'd had your world set up.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The only thing I wish was persistent is the GPS. I spent 15 hours legitimately crafting that thing only to leave it on an old hard-drive. Now my only option is to edit it in like a dirty pleb.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Thor-Stryker posted:

The only thing I wish was persistent is the GPS. I spent 15 hours legitimately crafting that thing only to leave it on an old hard-drive. Now my only option is to edit it in like a dirty pleb.

I think that, in this case, we could forgive you.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I built a treehouse.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The rare house with a tree in it instead of a tree with a house in it

A+ for defying conventions and turning expectations on their heads

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Hey look news!

https://twitter.com/Terraria_Logic/status/755415014228500481

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Is there a page listing patch notes for these changes yet, or is it a special surprise?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Theta Zero posted:

Is there a page listing patch notes for these changes yet, or is it a special surprise?

I haven't seen anything official, but the wiki has some stuff collected from tweets. It's not much.
-Sort items button for chests
-Trees grow on screen (there's a leafy explosion and the tree pops into existence)
"Lots of birthday party themed decorations."
Assorted stuff like a new outfit and bunnies that wear party hats.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_features

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Lowen posted:

I haven't seen anything official, but the wiki has some stuff collected from tweets. It's not much.
-Sort items button for chests
-Trees grow on screen (there's a leafy explosion and the tree pops into existence)
"Lots of birthday party themed decorations."
Assorted stuff like a new outfit and bunnies that wear party hats.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_features

loving sold.

I've owned the game for years and it's a free patch, but you know what I mean.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Changelog:

Added Bundled Party Balloons
Added Balloon Animal
Added Party Hat
Added Silly Sunflower Vanity
Added Silly Balloon Blocks and Walls
Added Silly Tied Balloons
Added Pigronata
Added Party Center
Added Silly Balloon Machine

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Here's the full list of changes.

quote:

Added Bundled Party Balloons
Added Balloon Animal
Added Party Hat
Added Silly Sunflower Vanity
Added Silly Balloon Blocks and Walls
Added Silly Tied Balloons
Added Pigronata
Added Party Center
Added Silly Balloon Machine
Added Streamers
Added Party Present
Added Cog Walls
Added Sandfall Blocks and Walls
Added Snowfall Blocks and Walls
Added Snow Clouds

Nerfed beehive-type bees in expert mode
Significantly reduced count of unnecessary player synchronization calls, which hindered servers with a high player count
Trees now grow with a “poof!” even when visible on a player’s screen
Rain Clouds are now craftable
Clinger Staff can now use platforms as its resting point
Made improvements to chat tags, and they should no longer break over long lines
Town NPCs will TRY to avoid falling into cliffs away from their home area
You can now use the Sort feature with chests
After reaching hardmode, you can choose the type of the world's evil when generating new worlds. If you have already reached hardmode, just load any pre-existing hardmode world and it will activate this feature.

Fixed XNOR being named NXOR
Fixed Title text not refreshing from the language menu's use
Fixed Cooking Pot & Skeleton Lantern (off)'s wrong light display
Fixed weather not updating on server properly (blame framerate fixes)
Fixed Grand Design selling for way too much gold
Fixed Scutlix mount aiming issues
Fixed Stardust & Nebula Wings having 2/3 and 1/3 extra fly time more than intended, respectively.
Fixed crashes related to Ice Rod and Dressers
Fixed cursor showing over an item slot for a frame when closing inventory on gamepad use
Fixed random bad texture loading
Fixed Duck hunt exploit
Fixed Town NPCs spazzing if there's lava underneath them
Fixed Travelling Merchant not being able to attack at night
Fixed Extremely long-timed buffs not updating properly in multiplayer
Fixed Phasesabers in weapon racks creating unbreakable weapon racks (This fix is not retroactive and will not fix old worlds impacted by the issue, we apologize for any inconvenience - we may add retroactive fix in the future)
Fixed Team Platforms not acting as viable doors for housing.
Fixed Ice Rod blocks causing making backwalls invisible
Fixed “On Fire!” bosses not being extinguished by water
Fixed Summoner Emblem not having an updated sprite
Fixed Some configuration settings not saving correctly

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Ooh, and the next update is on the Underground Desert.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

quote:

After reaching hardmode, you can choose the type of the world's evil when generating new worlds. If you have already reached hardmode, just load any pre-existing hardmode world and it will activate this feature.
This is great. So you can now choose whether you want corruption or crimson on a new world?
I wish they'd do the same with ore alts, but hey, one step at a time.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Vib Rib posted:

This is great. So you can now choose whether you want corruption or crimson on a new world?
I wish they'd do the same with ore alts, but hey, one step at a time.

I'd love to see worldgen expanded so that you can elect to have both corruption and crimson on the same world. It would certainly make things a whole lot more interesting.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dareon posted:

Ooh, and the next update is on the Underground Desert.

I wonder if that'll also expand on the throwing class that got introduced with 1.3.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DoubleNegative posted:

I'd love to see worldgen expanded so that you can elect to have both corruption and crimson on the same world. It would certainly make things a whole lot more interesting.

I did that manually, by taking a crimson world (in this case) and before activating hardmode, hex-editing it to make Terraria believe it was a corruption world. (Hex editing was needed then because things like TEdit hadn't yet been updated but that shouldn't generally be necessary if you have an up-to-date world editor.) So killing the Wall of Flesh unleashed a wave of hallow and corruption. I thought it made sense that the evil you unleash would be a "new" evil rather than what had already been there already...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Just picked this back up, it's just as good as I remember. I decided to do my first expert mode world, and have found it challenging and rewarding. However, I have hit a bit of a wall with skeletron. I have the full molten armor set with matching sword and bow, as well as a Mode 1 yoyo. Still can't seem to put a dent in the drat thing. Any tips?

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

JustJeff88 posted:

loving sold.

I've owned the game for years and it's a free patch, but you know what I mean.

You can always buy a copy for someone else!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ariong posted:

Just picked this back up, it's just as good as I remember. I decided to do my first expert mode world, and have found it challenging and rewarding. However, I have hit a bit of a wall with skeletron. I have the full molten armor set with matching sword and bow, as well as a Mode 1 yoyo. Still can't seem to put a dent in the drat thing. Any tips?

Skeletron on expert is a matter of making a big arena (3+ tiers of platforms about 2 screens wide should work, with heart lanterns and campfires spread around to provide their buffs) and running around with hermes boots + shield of cthulhu to avoid most of his attacks. Then just use your favorite weapon that can hit him from across the screen til he dies.