Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dirp posted:

Just accepted a travel position in Denver which has pretty much the same cost of living as where I'm currently at, but I'll be getting paid over 50% more than what I'm making now.

gently caress being a staff nurse, seriously.

I'm guessing you saw my post a few before yours so shoot me an email at sylints at gmail dot com if you have any questions about the Denver area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Jamais Vu Again posted:

Yeah, orientation starts next Monday. Tele/IMC with the ability to move to ICU after a year or so when then third unit opens up.

Congrats on both, that's awesome! Hope the water park was fun too. I start OB this week and went from not caring at all about it, to being pretty excited about it after our first lecture. Pretty excited to see how clinicals go this week! Psych was a trip, and it was pretty interesting to see people who tick off literally every symptom of mental illness in a text book come to life. Got to see a takedown and the subsequent cocktail. Kids were pretty messed up and sad (regret reading those charts, but hey at least I learned a great lesson in how to compartmentalize!), but I love nursing because I therapeutically demolished an 11 year old at connect 4. Missed getting an A by 2 test questions, which stings a bit but oh well.

Question: I have a chance to take ACLS through my school (paid by me obviously) before my complex care classes. I've heard that it helps a pretty decent amount with parts of complex care, and it will hopefully look good on resumes at the end of the year. Should I take it or enjoy an extra 2 days on my 1.5 week summer break in August? I know most employers out here pay for it, and I'm planning on being in an internship by the end of the year that will likely pay for it as well as transition me into a job (oh god i hope).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Iron Lung posted:

Congrats on both, that's awesome! Hope the water park was fun too. I start OB this week and went from not caring at all about it, to being pretty excited about it after our first lecture. Pretty excited to see how clinicals go this week! Psych was a trip, and it was pretty interesting to see people who tick off literally every symptom of mental illness in a text book come to life. Got to see a takedown and the subsequent cocktail. Kids were pretty messed up and sad (regret reading those charts, but hey at least I learned a great lesson in how to compartmentalize!), but I love nursing because I therapeutically demolished an 11 year old at connect 4. Missed getting an A by 2 test questions, which stings a bit but oh well.

Question: I have a chance to take ACLS through my school (paid by me obviously) before my complex care classes. I've heard that it helps a pretty decent amount with parts of complex care, and it will hopefully look good on resumes at the end of the year. Should I take it or enjoy an extra 2 days on my 1.5 week summer break in August? I know most employers out here pay for it, and I'm planning on being in an internship by the end of the year that will likely pay for it as well as transition me into a job (oh god i hope).

In my experience, hospitals pay for ACLS for their critical-care staff, not their MedSurg staff. Codes in MedSurg are run by staff from ED or ICU/PCU, whichever is closest. (again, just my personal experience).

Having it definitely won't hurt your resume, and the classes will give you some basic info on heart function, but ACLS is an emergency response training, its basically entirely "If X, do Y" sequences, so it won't be super useful from an education standpoint. If you can afford to take the class, I say go for it, but don't sweat it if you can't/don't want to.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
The most important part of ACLS is rhythm identification. If you can instantly know what rhythm your patient is in, ACLS becomes a breeze. (I hope. At least that's what the paramedics I worked with for 6 years at the cardiac monitoring center told me. He also said if I fail ACLS, he's gonna kick my rear end.)

I'm taking it in August, I think.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Yeah I guess what I heard from previous students was it was really helpful with rhythm recognition and that all that took it would recommend it because it helped. But I doubt it made the difference between good grades. My goal is to end up in the ED or ICU so I know it'll come in handy eventually, but so would the cost of the class before then and the 2 days of not thinking about nursing.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Employers who are "wowed" by an ACLS cert during nursing school aren't worth working for. Do something worth a crap like a student clinic or something.

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011

Iron Lung posted:

Yeah I guess what I heard from previous students was it was really helpful with rhythm recognition and that all that took it would recommend it because it helped. But I doubt it made the difference between good grades. My goal is to end up in the ED or ICU so I know it'll come in handy eventually, but so would the cost of the class before then and the 2 days of not thinking about nursing.

If your institution is worth its' salt you'll get it paid for when you go into either of those specialties. Otherwise you probably won't use it and it will be a waste of money.

http://www.skillstat.com/tools/ecg-simulator

This is a great website for rhythm recognition.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Awesome. I'll get my refund and relax for 2 extra days between summer and fall session then! Thanks.

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011

Iron Lung posted:

Awesome. I'll get my refund and relax for 2 extra days between summer and fall session then! Thanks.

Shadow on units you want to work on in your offtime. That's how I landed my job. Clinical experience and shadowing trumps ACLS as a new graduate usually.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

somnolence posted:

Shadow on units you want to work on in your offtime. That's how I landed my job. Clinical experience and shadowing trumps ACLS as a new graduate usually.

I've got some good contacts in each hospital I want, and in one of those in the unit I want. Once I get through my summer courses I want to step it up and start meeting more people! Theres the internship I mentioned above at one of the hospitals and my chances are pretty decent to at least end up at the facility where I can always transfer later. I'd love to move out of state instantly, but think it'll be pretty tough in the areas my wife and I are looking at to get a job without knowing people. Thanks!

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

Hello Nursing thread.

I'm a 24 year old legal secretary on a paralegal track, but I've been thinking of changing careers. I really like the idea of being a Nurse, at least in theory. I don't mind working long hours (I'm moonlighting a second job right now, so sometimes I have 14 hour days), I like being active, blood and such doesn't bother me, I do well under stress, and I really enjoy helping people. That last point is probably the most motivating. The thought of making a career out of healing people is appealing. That said, all the dreams in the world are nothing in the face of experience, and I won't know what working in a healthcare environment is like until I actually do it.

I've read a bit of the thread and it seems the best thing for me to do right now would be to get as much hands-on experience as possible. I've been looking at volunteer opportunities at hospitals and CNA courses at local community colleges. From there, if I decide I really like it, I would get into prerequisite courses and apply for a BSN.

What do y'all think? Advice?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
You sound like you have your head on straight.

Are you prepared to move for employment?

Consider programs through academic hospitals that track you into employment at their facility if able.

Accelerated programs are available but likely preclude working simultaneously, depending on your abilities.

Are you a good at tests?

What's your tolerance for burocracy and arbitrary poo poo? Can you play the game?

I'd advise skipping CNA. No need.

Roki B fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 22, 2016

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011

pogi posted:

Hello Nursing thread.

I'm a 24 year old legal secretary on a paralegal track, but I've been thinking of changing careers. I really like the idea of being a Nurse, at least in theory. I don't mind working long hours (I'm moonlighting a second job right now, so sometimes I have 14 hour days), I like being active, blood and such doesn't bother me, I do well under stress, and I really enjoy helping people. That last point is probably the most motivating. The thought of making a career out of healing people is appealing. That said, all the dreams in the world are nothing in the face of experience, and I won't know what working in a healthcare environment is like until I actually do it.

I've read a bit of the thread and it seems the best thing for me to do right now would be to get as much hands-on experience as possible. I've been looking at volunteer opportunities at hospitals and CNA courses at local community colleges. From there, if I decide I really like it, I would get into prerequisite courses and apply for a BSN.

What do y'all think? Advice?

Anything hands on would bolster your application. Do you enjoy cleaning up poop? Being a CNA is your calling, then.

Your first paragraph is already half of your admissions essay to any program. Do you have a degree?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

As always, if you have the desire to go CNA and want to work during nursing school or just want the experience: GO EMT-B cert!!

You'll learn so much more, you can get a job that doesn't involve wiping rear end for $10 an hour and you'll probably be exposed to a lot more medical/trauma than you ever would as a CNA.

Again, that's only if you wanna spend a semester in night classes for 4 hours a night 3 nights a week. It's not a difficult course by any means, but attendance is mandatory for a majority of the classes and there's a lot of "hands on" portions that you'll want to attend because it's part of the practical portion of the licensing.

Also riding around in an ambulance is pretty snazzy, at least for a few months then it's pretty rudimentary and blasting people with your lights, sirens and horn gets boring. There are lots of opportunities to work either medical transport, 911 EMS or even rural county EMS and attend nursing school. You'll get paid roughly the same as a CNA but you'll be at the mercy of whatever transport system you are involved with or the county/city you run 911 for.

Edit: Also you can work as an E.R tech, which is probably the best job ever for a nursing student.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 22, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I saw more, did more, and got paid more as an unlicensed nursing assistant than I ever did as an EMT-B.

E:. A lot of hospitals will hire nursing students into CNA roles very happily.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Within the same week I left my LTACH job to move to a "real" hospital and now I got the email that I got into Midwifery school. So I'm pretty stoked.

Anyone have advise on juggling a job and a graduate nursing degree?

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Within the same week I left my LTACH job to move to a "real" hospital and now I got the email that I got into Midwifery school. So I'm pretty stoked.

Most of the people on my unit who have gotten into master's programs have dropped to per diem.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

somnolence posted:

Most of the people on my unit who have gotten into master's programs have dropped to per diem.

How do you do that and still afford rent/pay bills/live?

Because I had been planning to start a DNP Program next fall (I finish my BSN this fall) but EVERYONE I know working on their MSN/DNP is married/in a long term relationship with a working spouse/partner who supports them, with their PRN money helping out.

I don't want to move back with my parents :saddowns:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Ravenfood posted:

I saw more, did more, and got paid more as an unlicensed nursing assistant than I ever did as an EMT-B.

E:. A lot of hospitals will hire nursing students into CNA roles very happily.

"Unlicensed nursing assistant" doesn't really sound like a job that'd be advertised... did you get that person-to-person?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

OMGVBFLOL posted:

"Unlicensed nursing assistant" doesn't really sound like a job that'd be advertised... did you get that person-to-person?
Not everywhere requires a license or certification to be a nursing assistant. Some are as simple as getting hired by the hospital and getting trained by them on-the-job.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Probably not, my previous hospital, part of a large worldwide system, didn't have CNAs. The CNA-level role was "Patient Care Tech", and while having a CNA license was cool, it wasn't required. All the techs were considered "unlicensed assistive personnel"

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Asking for general input on how I'm doing so far:
The goal for now is to be an RN. What seems like the most sensible path for me is an ABSN, with the future possibility of going back to school for Nurse Practitioner or Nurse Anesthetist.

A in Chemistry, B in Microbiology, A in Anatomy, Physiology in the fall.
My overall recent GPA is around 3.6. I've got most of the normal prerequisites completed, except for nutrition and stats. Nutrition with physio in the fall, stats plus a psych and/or sociology class in the spring. That should leave all the standard prereqs completed, only reaching back into my Bachelor's for english classes.
My GPA from my non-nursing bachelor's degree, completed years ago, was around 2.7. My grades in english were fine, my grades in nutrition and stats were not (which is why I'm going ahead and retaking them).

Work ties up most of my time outside school, which has made it difficult to build volunteer time. I've got a few hours here and there, none of it with hospitals. I have a goodly amount of experience in kitchens and foodservice, so I've been volunteering with a charity that does grocery and prepped meals for the terminally ill and others too young for Meals On Wheels. It mostly just amounts to a shitload of chopping vegetables, but it's easy work, it's something I'm much more skilled at than the average volunteer, and it lets me apply my current skillset to something at least tangenitally related to my aspirations in healthcare. Other than that, I've got a few hours here and there with the local bicycle coalition, putting on events and such.

My parents are able to occasionally help out with an emergency "oh poo poo help me not bounce checks please" at the end of the month, but it's not something I can (or really, want to) rely on. I should be able to qualify for ~$10,000 in loans this year, but based on experience with federal aid, I'll believe it when I see the direct deposit.

I live in the SF Bay Area (for as long as I'm able to hold onto my rent-controlled apartment). It seems like there's a shitload of other people aspiring to be nurses clogging the normal channels. Volunteer positions at hospitals here seem very competitive, and most job postings I see for CNAs demand multiple years of experience, and some even explicitly state "no students".

Anyone have experience paying the bills while trying to build pre-nursing-school experience living in a major metro area with a buttload of other nursing students trying to do the same? I've heard NYC and LA are also like this.

edit: Oh, I'm also TAing a section of Anatomy this summer for the professor I took it with. Between the A and the TAing I figure he's good for a solid letter of recommendation.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 23, 2016

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Get a sugar daddy / momma.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
SF is where you go after you have experience not where you get it.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

It's possible, depending on your program. I'm almost done with my FNP, and I've worked full time through the entire program. Of course, I literally have no life or free time right now while I'm in clinicals. I have one day a week "off" where I usually run around doing errands all day. I haven't slept in in about 7 months.

I'm moving to days at the end of July, which will make my life so much easier. No additional free time though, I'm just going to get more clinical hours in. I should be done by the beginning of November.

What school are you going to? You may have difficulty working while doing midwifery clinicals since you have to be on call for 24 hour shifts.

dumb stupid idiot
Nov 4, 2015

REALLY NOT
FEELIN UP
TO IT RIGHT
NOW. SORRY.

:h:
Hi I'm starting a 12 month accelerated BSN at the end of August. I'm feeling excited and optimistic, so I figured I'd better find a bunch of goons who'd want to put stop to all of that right away.

dumb stupid idiot fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 29, 2016

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

dumb stupid idiot posted:

Hi I'm starting a 12 month accelerated BSN at the end of August. I'm feeling excited and optimistic, so I figured I'd better find a bunch of goons who'd want to put stop to all of that right away.

right

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Don't worry, that'll get stamped out real quick. I'm 6 months into mine and have moved past the point of caring about pretty much anything. But I'm also going to be done in 5 months and I'm sure excited for complex care. In all seriousness, if you like the field you'll love it, but I'm gonna lie it is absolutely loving exhausting to do a program that quick. Good luck!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

That is a fast program. Start making connections where you want to work now.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
I survived a twelve month program two years ago. It was doable but it was definitely hell especially at first when I had no idea what was going on. Best advice is to be organized and make friends who can be your study group and support system. Good luck!

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

LoveMeDead posted:

It's possible, depending on your program. I'm almost done with my FNP, and I've worked full time through the entire program. Of course, I literally have no life or free time right now while I'm in clinicals. I have one day a week "off" where I usually run around doing errands all day. I haven't slept in in about 7 months.

I'm moving to days at the end of July, which will make my life so much easier. No additional free time though, I'm just going to get more clinical hours in. I should be done by the beginning of November.

What school are you going to? You may have difficulty working while doing midwifery clinicals since you have to be on call for 24 hour shifts.

I didn't have any real life during my regular nursing school so I'm expecting a repeat of that. Without going into super details about my finances, I fully plan to quit working during my last year of Midwifery school and just focus on school because of my clinicals and the fact that the classes are supposed to be super hard that last year. To afford to be able to do that, I have to keep working my full time RN job for at least a few more months. Preferably for a full year. But if it starts to look like I'm struggling, I'll probably end up dropping down to one or two shifts a week depending on how overwhelmed I am. Ideally I want to get out of this degree with no student loans but would accept up to $20k in loans as a worst case scenario. I'll just be playing it by ear.

dumb stupid idiot
Nov 4, 2015

REALLY NOT
FEELIN UP
TO IT RIGHT
NOW. SORRY.

:h:

yeah

Iron Lung posted:

Don't worry, that'll get stamped out real quick. I'm 6 months into mine and have moved past the point of caring about pretty much anything. But I'm also going to be done in 5 months and I'm sure excited for complex care. In all seriousness, if you like the field you'll love it, but I'm gonna lie it is absolutely loving exhausting to do a program that quick. Good luck!

good luck to you too!! i've been extremely incredibly bored for the past couple years, so i'm actually looking forward to an overwhelming challenge, if just for a change of pace

Etrips posted:

That is a fast program. Start making connections where you want to work now.

thanks, yeah, i figured i'd be going in gunning. though i actually have no clue where i want to work, i've been withholding any thoughts about that until clinicals.

boquiabierta posted:

Best advice is to . . . make friends . . .

well i'm hosed.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

thanks, yeah, i figured i'd be going in gunning. though i actually have no clue where i want to work, i've been withholding any thoughts about that until clinicals.

Keep those spirits up! Nursing school will suck the life out of you. Also yeah, start figuring out where you want to be and start making connections yesterday.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Etrips posted:

start figuring out where you want to be

What does this mean? Which specific hospital, or what sort of nursing? Or both?

how i figure out where you want to be

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Both. Here's an example my OB teacher told me about yesterday, and it likely is partially true for most places. Her hospital opened up a new unit, and were hiring 30 people for the nursing staff, they received about 190 applications. First the weeded out all the ASNs and were left with a bunch of BSNs or higher. Then they mass emailed a bunch of folks who work in or around that unit to ask if they knew anyone who was applying. All 30 positions were filled with people who were recommended from current staff. So it pays off big time to make connections with people in units and facilities you're interested in working.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hey all I started a goon healthcare worker fb group if you'd like to join shoot me a pm or post here and I'll send you a link, God bless

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 18, 2016

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Hey all I started a goon healthcare worker fb group if you'd like to join shoot me a pm or post here and I'll send you a link, God gless

Goon reporting in

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Hey all I started a goon healthcare worker fb group if you'd like to join shoot me a pm or post here and I'll send you a link, God bless

goon and/or healthcare worker here

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

God bless america. I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

:911: In.