Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Azubah posted:

I got vote kicked for not rez'ing the healer after he died to an AoE as a summoner, I think it's just bad players in general.

Good, summoners are always too oblivious to rez people and it's about time someone stood up to one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

BrightWing posted:

Goons are a pretty good bunch in
14 yeah? Been thinking about bailing on Sarg for somewhere else. Kinda annoying when I can't drum up interest in Nidd EX on a Saturday night.

One of the best groups of gaming goons I've played something with. Come on over.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Deathwing posted:

So with FFGoons being non-working, should I just apply ingame somewhere (i'm on Excalibur), or is there another preferred way to wrangle an invite to one of the guilds?

I've got the same question. I was in PBC a few months ago but got booted for inactivity. I'd like to be welcomed back into the fold, if there's room. If not I'd be interested in one of the other goon guilds in Excalibur. I'm Doctor Spacetime (until I can figure out if I can rename characters)

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

ArtIsResistance posted:

Good, summoners are always too oblivious to rez people and it's about time someone stood up to one

There have been many times during a trial where the other healer is dead and I die and then select to return to beginning only to stare in horror at the 2 SMN icons in the party list as I fade out.

:negative:

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

until I can figure out if I can rename characters

for a small fee in mog station

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Burn My Dread posted:

In the "Social" menu there's an option for Player Searching, which allows you to search for a player basically anywhere in the world if they're online and not in an instance.

oh yea i forgot about that feature

how invasive lmbo~

Pigbottom posted:

I starting over with this game too and I got some of those invites but is usually someone near the tp stones. I also get whispers from gold sellers all the time and I wonder how the hell do they find me. I joined please be careful so I guess I wont see invites anymore.

that is a good thing, i might do that too soon

if you're by any chance level15-20ish maybe we can party up?? I'm trying to hit the airship bit for the first dungeon whos name escapes me but was one of my favorites.

FFXIV just hits the notes for me in terms of dungeon content in mmo and I miss that sorely~

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

FFgoons is working again. No idea how long it wasn't, sorry :v: It was one of those weird things that pop up moving servers, guess it didn't like the default connection limit.

Is the auth working? It looks like it's working but I can't tell. If it's not, please reply or DM with what happens, or confirm it's just not picking up on the auth code in the profile?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Tortolia posted:

One of the best groups of gaming goons I've played something with. Come on over.

Will second this. Folks have been consistently helpful since day 1 and lots of fun to chat with :)

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

FFgoons is working again. No idea how long it wasn't, sorry :v: It was one of those weird things that pop up moving servers, guess it didn't like the default connection limit.

Is the auth working? It looks like it's working but I can't tell. If it's not, please reply or DM with what happens, or confirm it's just not picking up on the auth code in the profile?

Doesn't seem to be working for me yet - says the phrase wasn't found in my profile, and a PHP error at the top of the page "Warning [2] file_get_contents(http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=Deathwing): failed to open stream: Redirection limit reached, aborting - Line: 57 - File: autoauth.php PHP 7.0.4-7ubuntu2.1 (Linux)"

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

Thread subscription emails haven't been working since the server move, FYI.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
emails regarding forgotten password never get sent out either

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Deathwing posted:

Doesn't seem to be working for me yet - says the phrase wasn't found in my profile, and a PHP error at the top of the page "Warning [2] file_get_contents(http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=Deathwing): failed to open stream: Redirection limit reached, aborting - Line: 57 - File: autoauth.php PHP 7.0.4-7ubuntu2.1 (Linux)"

Ditto

will try again later :shrug:

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
How do you guys usually do Aquapolis runs in terms of loot? I have 4 maps saved up and want to bug goons soon but I've never done it and don't want to screw anyone out of loot so they don't help me again!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Alright, yeah probably some config or library issue. I'll try to fix it this evening or tomorrow morning.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

LegionAreI posted:

How do you guys usually do Aquapolis runs in terms of loot? I have 4 maps saved up and want to bug goons soon but I've never done it and don't want to screw anyone out of loot so they don't help me again!

In DGKK we go with the map owner being able to need anything (or greed if they don't care about that item), everyone else greed rolls only. Easy to follow and low drama.

Map owner also gets to pick the doors!

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Tortolia posted:

In DGKK we go with the map owner being able to need anything (or greed if they don't care about that item), everyone else greed rolls only. Easy to follow and low drama.

Map owner also gets to pick the doors!

I rather like this scheme and will use it from now on with all runs I participate in.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Shy posted:

for a small fee in mog station

$10?! I'll stick with my dumb name

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
So why does this game not let you send people private messages if they're in an instance? That seems... counterproductive? Are linkshells supposed to replace this functionality for friends who dont want to chat in FC chat?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

Unless your name is some dumb sounding anime crap then never regret it

actually if your name is something like Miss Terious then gently caress you too

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

ArtIsResistance posted:

Unless your name is some dumb sounding anime crap then never regret it

actually if your name is something like Miss Terious then gently caress you too

Mister Eeee

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

sorry i for some reason thought it's about half that

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Jesus wept

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Melchior posted:

So why does this game not let you send people private messages if they're in an instance? That seems... counterproductive? Are linkshells supposed to replace this functionality for friends who dont want to chat in FC chat?

They intentionally disable it to "prevent abuse". Noone is exactly sure what kind of abuse that's supposed to prevent.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
The real reason is almost certainly because the instance servers can be cross-world and they didn't want to deal with tells being sent to the instance servers. Although I still wonder what happens if two players with identical names are matched in the Duty Finder. Or are names required to be unique within a data center?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

brokenknee posted:

I rather like this scheme and will use it from now on with all runs I participate in.

I ran maps with dgkk goons last night where we agreed that everyone could Need on everything in Aquapolis, the exception being if we got to the final floor, where the map owner got to Need and everyone pass.

No drama in that either. The first method you read has also been the default I've been involved then, this method I just mentioned was agreed to before we warped to the dungeon and as I said, easy peasy no drama.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Lastgirl posted:

oh yea i forgot about that feature

how invasive lmbo~

that is a good thing, i might do that too soon

if you're by any chance level15-20ish maybe we can party up?? I'm trying to hit the airship bit for the first dungeon whos name escapes me but was one of my favorites.

FFXIV just hits the notes for me in terms of dungeon content in mmo and I miss that sorely~

I had just hit 25 when my Internet provider decided to gently caress me over. So right now i don't know when I'll be able to play again.

It has been pretty fast and unlike last time I could just straight up level by following the story and didn't have to grind at all to keep up with it. That 30% xp ring helps it seems.

edit: phone posting

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 30, 2016

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Xenoveritas posted:

The real reason is almost certainly because the instance servers can be cross-world and they didn't want to deal with tells being sent to the instance servers. Although I still wonder what happens if two players with identical names are matched in the Duty Finder. Or are names required to be unique within a data center?

Naw, there's other Lady Gagas on our datacenter. Never encountered one in DF though :(

During the beta you could send tells sometimes in weird conditions or due to bugs. You'd think it was an instance limitation, but I don't think it actually is, they just don't want people interrupted by tells or doing or receiving "abuse" via tells during instances v:shobon:v

From 2014 so not sure if they changed anything but found this:

Looks like they just... both have the same name.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 30, 2016

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
The server should be able to handle it because each character has a unique ID associated with it. (It's why deleted characters become "(deleted)" and character name changes don't break the Friends List.) This ID should be unique across all servers since it's used by the Lodestone when you look up a character and I'm pretty sure it persists across server transfers.

That being said, given that commands like /tell work on a character's name, it wouldn't surprise me that the message dispatch software was buggy and they didn't feel like fixing it. Especially given the strict 512 limit on chat channels and them dropping FC Alliances as a feature.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

It seems like the game totally shuffles you off to another server when you're in an instance, and information about other players on the server can't be sent to you while you're there. You can't see linkshell or FC rosters, and I don't think your FC emblem shows up on gear you've stamped it on either (though they may have changed this in the year+ since the last time I put an emblem on anything). I can only speculate as to why this is (less data being shuffled around? certain systems aren't designed to send data across servers while others are?), but I wouldn't be surprised if the end result was that you can't send tells to people simply because the game doesn't know they exist. In theory you could send tells to people in the instance with you, but then you have to differentiate between two people with the same name somehow. Easier to turn it off and just say something like "we think if you're in an instance with people anything you would say to one of them you should say to all of them".

Now, receiving tells might be another matter. Players on your server can see if you're online even if you're off in an instance, so they have a reference to you. But it would be weird if they could send you messages and you couldn't send any back.

As for why linkshell and FC chat works while in an instance, good question. I'd have to assume that the implementation is different somehow. Maybe FCs and LSes have some datacenter-unique identifier that's used behind the scenes while they only use server-unique IDs for players in communications? Can't say.

Xenoveritas posted:

The server should be able to handle it because each character has a unique ID associated with it. (It's why deleted characters become "(deleted)" and character name changes don't break the Friends List.) This ID should be unique across all servers since it's used by the Lodestone when you look up a character and I'm pretty sure it persists across server transfers.

That being said, given that commands like /tell work on a character's name, it wouldn't surprise me that the message dispatch software was buggy and they didn't feel like fixing it. Especially given the strict 512 limit on chat channels and them dropping FC Alliances as a feature.

It's possible that, while characters have game-unique IDs, that those aren't the IDs they actually use for things like communication. But this is conjecture.
I just wouldn't be surprised if the reason was some technical blooper. They haven't really done a lot to make us think this game is well engineered.

Klades fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 30, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PS3 limitations.

ARR was thrown together in a very short time frame after 1.0 closed so the server side is almost certainly a monstrosity of code and databases probably going all the way back to FFXI. Really it's a miracle it works at all.

Same goes for chocobos and duty finder.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

hobbesmaster posted:

PS3 limitations.

ARR was thrown together in a very short time frame after 1.0 closed so the server side is almost certainly a monstrosity of code and databases probably going all the way back to FFXI. Really it's a miracle it works at all.

Same goes for chocobos and duty finder.

On the other hand, this dx11 client is a thing of beauty and runs as smooth as butter, with all maxed, and no matter how many players around, without my system even breaking a sweat.

edit: Also my internet seems to be working again (at least for the time being). If anyone wants to join me, I'm about to start the sylph part of the main story (lvl 25 now). char name is Bacon Pigbottom.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 30, 2016

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I ran maps with dgkk goons last night where we agreed that everyone could Need on everything in Aquapolis, the exception being if we got to the final floor, where the map owner got to Need and everyone pass.

No drama in that either. The first method you read has also been the default I've been involved then, this method I just mentioned was agreed to before we warped to the dungeon and as I said, easy peasy no drama.

That would also work! Just as long as folks know up front what the roll strategy will be then it's not really an issue. Aquapolis is fun either way.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

LegionAreI posted:

Balmung goons typically just let each individual map runner decide what to do with their maps, as in.. most of us allow free rolls on everything but pets at this point because the markets have crashed so hard.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I got used to doing maps DGKK's way, but apparently it's not universal. Be sure to specify or ask!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I got used to doing maps DGKK's way, but apparently it's not universal. Be sure to specify or ask!

I tend to do free lots in Aquapolis itselt and YMYL for the map chest :shrug:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Whenever I run groups, the rules are Your Map, Your Loot, but Aquapolis is free for all. It's unfair to tie Aquapolis loot to whoever's map spawned it since it's only a percent chance you'll spawn. Each individual benefits from their own maps, and everyone benefits from Aquapolis. :D

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Pigbottom posted:

On the other hand, this dx11 client is a thing of beauty and runs as smooth as butter, with all maxed, and no matter how many players around, without my system even breaking a sweat.

Shut up I hate you. My video card has something about it that the games DX11 client HATES. Works perfect in DX9. Other DX11 games work fine. But FF14 just craps out for some unknown reason.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Christ I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with the ffgoons server now, but it's starting to act like it was when I had to loving rebuild the thing and there's no way in loving blood-hell it should be broken right now.

I might be considering a new host because what the gently caress is this poo poo.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Whenever I run groups, the rules are Your Map, Your Loot, but Aquapolis is free for all. It's unfair to tie Aquapolis loot to whoever's map spawned it since it's only a percent chance you'll spawn. Each individual benefits from their own maps, and everyone benefits from Aquapolis. :D

I kinda have to agree with this. If the way you're running maps means people are thinking "I hope he picks the wrong door so we can get out of here and on to my map, since I can't get anything decent here", it's fair to say you're playing it wrong.

But as long as everyone's on the same page at the start of the party, to each their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FFgoons should just have a subforum here.

• Locked thread