Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Murphys Law posted:

I'd like to think the person selling it had scruples and it didn't matter whether or not it was enforceable because they realized it had to be a mistake and let them out of it.

You're in the wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

chitoryu12 posted:

It's always slightly terrifying when you see a pro wrestler have to defend themselves for real, and you realize just how much they're pulling their punches and coordinating their throws and slams to avoid hurting anyone.

You never realize it too because they're always standing next to each other but look up any famous pro wrestler and they're all like 6'5" beasts. Hogan is like 6'8" the Rock is 6'5" Triple H there is 6'4". They're all giant loving men.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Bum the Sad posted:

You never realize it too because they're always standing next to each other but look up any famous pro wrestler and they're all like 6'5" beasts. Hogan is like 6'8" the Rock is 6'5" Triple H there is 6'4". They're all giant loving men.

I thought Bray Wyatt was a midget for the longest time . Turns out dudes actually 6'3". Its just that the other people he's always standing next to (Strowman, Harper, Rowan) are all like 7 foot tall actual genetic monsters.

The small guy there is like 6'3", 300 pounds

Saint Freak has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Jun 30, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Saint Freak posted:

I thought Bray Wyatt was a midget for the longest time . Turns out dudes actually 6'3". Its just that the other people he's always standing next to (Strowman, Harper, Rowan) are all like 7 foot tall actual genetic monsters.

Harpers only like 6'5" but he has the benefit of having better physique and posture.

Both of IRS's kids are on the pudgy side.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

You're in the wrong thread.

If you want I can find the one video of a wrestler laughing that a contract someone forced him to sign was legally invalid because he was being hung on meathooks and that counted as duress

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Jun 30, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

exploding mummy posted:

If you want I can find the one video of a wrestler laughing that a contract someone forced him to sign was legally invalid because he was being hung on meath oops and that counted as duress

Meat hoops??????

Edit: drat your ninja edit :argh:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Saint Freak posted:

Something like that is how I realized it. When I watched wrestling like 15 years ago I was wondering how short this tiny guy wrestling was and then searched for it on Alta vista or what ever loving search engine we used back then and realized midget was 6'+ everyone else was just 7'.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So Boris Johnson, the architect of Brexit, who likely took the lead on it as a means to become the leader of the Tory party & the Prime Minister of the UK, got ratfucked by his right-hand man today.

Edit: actually this article captures the freude so much better.

Yvonmukluk has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Jun 30, 2016

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

exploding mummy posted:

The cat only gave up the title because she was bribed with kitty treats.

Also not the first time an animal has held the belt.

A dachshund once pinned a ladder for the title belt.

The 1000th winner of the title belt was the title belt itself when it was placed upon the chest of the 999th winner.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say that y'all should watch the title changes that have happened for this while in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3t8pkUCo7KKQ5VdMJEMTxu9cj7g5saln

DDT is Japan's comedy wrestling promotion. It's also responsible for this great bit that went around the internet this past week:

https://twitter.com/Original_Bonski/status/746098114151448576

The schadenfreude is that I know so much about fake grapplefights in a language I don't speak. :sigh:

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Why is boob-plex dude wrestling a bunch of women anyway?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Locator posted:

Because his move is called the boob-plex, not the pec-plex

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bum the Sad posted:

Back in 2012, I was on the cast for Halloween Horror Nights 22 at Universal Orlando. Because I'm 6'2 in tennis shoes, I was put on a street cast of robed, hooded monsters called Beasts where everyone had to be at least 6 feet to get in. There was one guy who was under 6 feet who I think was meant to be more "goblin-like" than the rest of us and was distinctively faster and lower to the ground than the others, but otherwise we were pretty drat tall.

Imagine my surprise when I looked at media pictures of myself and saw that I looked like a dwarf. Except for the one short dude, everyone else was 6'5 or above and at least one was over 7 feet tall. It helped that we had an Air Force vet and a Marine vet on our cast and several other guys had muscle to go with it, so a bunch of them were built like Brock Lesnar. I was towering over a lot of the guests I was scaring, but in group photos I looked like a skinny child.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bum the Sad posted:

Something like that is how I realized it. When I watched wrestling like 15 years ago I was wondering how short this tiny guy wrestling was and then searched for it on Alta vista or what ever loving search engine we used back then and realized midget was 6'+ everyone else was just 7'.

There's a group photo I can't find anymore of a bunch of those World's Strongest Men guys, twenty or thirty big beefy slabs of meat and one little guy in a suit, about a foot shorter than all of them, standing right in the middle.

Guy in my office who found it was like "Who's that scrawny guy in the middle?" and it was Arnold Schwarzenegger

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

The Locator posted:

Because its professional wrestling and not real. WWE doesn't allow women and men having matches with eachother as a stand against violence against women as the main exposure people have to it all. But just about every other promotion allows it because there are plenty of legitimately talented(and insanely tough) women wrestlers in the world, and it's all just entertainment anyway.

Candice LeRae, Joeys old tag partner, just recently suffered from a botched maneuver that broke her nose and chipped a tooth, and the only thing she's upset about is the forced time off.

Skaw has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Jun 30, 2016

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Teddybear posted:

The 1000th winner of the title belt was the title belt itself when it was placed upon the chest of the 999th winner.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say that y'all should watch the title changes that have happened for this while in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3t8pkUCo7KKQ5VdMJEMTxu9cj7g5saln

DDT is Japan's comedy wrestling promotion. It's also responsible for this great bit that went around the internet this past week:

https://twitter.com/Original_Bonski/status/746098114151448576

The schadenfreude is that I know so much about fake grapplefights in a language I don't speak. :sigh:

Japanese wrestling is way more brutal, but also way more funny that WWE

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Skaw posted:

Because its professional wrestling and not real. WWE doesn't allow women and men having matches with eachother as a stand against violence against women as the main exposure people have to it all.
I think that's a cop out. If it's framed as a sporting competition, that's not the sort of violence people have a problem with. They're doing it to help make people forget the times the wwe had a female bystander beaten into a forced miscarriage as a story device, women were drugged and married against their will, and the mountain of other gross poo poo they got away with during the attitude era.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yea... I don't know much about professional wrestling, and it sounds like I'll just happily keep it that way.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I think that's a cop out. If it's framed as a sporting competition, that's not the sort of violence people have a problem with. They're doing it to help make people forget the times the wwe had a female bystander beaten into a forced miscarriage as a story device, women were drugged and married against their will, and the mountain of other gross poo poo they got away with during the attitude era.

You're right. The attitude era however was rated towards older audiences. But the shift to being PG was ultimately the deciding factor in it, and the big PG reasoning is to not show kids that it's okay to beat women.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think it makes perfect sense to have female competitors go against similarly weighted male competitors in standard matches that showcase talent, athelticism, and agility. NO stupid story line stuff, just good wrestling. It'd elevate the entertainment quite a bit.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I mean, you could maybe have the woman not only win the match, but maybe also not miscarry, or something.

I don't know the story behind the forced marriage storyline, but I think it'd be a clever twist to have something like that on the line, but the woman wins over the man, so now the male competitor has to marry Vince McMahon or something.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Man, if Rey Mysterio has to fight the goddamn Undertaker, it only seems fair for that pale-rear end Brit to have to fight some hulking roid monster

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Jastiger posted:

I think it makes perfect sense to have female competitors go against similarly weighted male competitors in standard matches that showcase talent, athelticism, and agility. NO stupid story line stuff, just good wrestling. It'd elevate the entertainment quite a bit.

It generally is really entertaining. And not all of it is crass sleazy humour. That just happens to be Joey Ryans gimmick. Lucha Underground regularly has the kind of matches you're talking about, and their talent pool is pretty solid. The Lucha Underground overarching story stuff is way more soap opera than even WWE however. Like it's legitimately a Telemundo soap opera where conflict is resolved in the ring, or through Darios office window.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SpacePig posted:

I mean, you could maybe have the woman not only win the match, but maybe also not miscarry, or something.

I don't know the story behind the forced marriage storyline, but I think it'd be a clever twist to have something like that on the line, but the woman wins over the man, so now the male competitor has to marry Vince McMahon or something.

She wasn't wrestling, she was acting as a valet who was inadvertantly struck by a jobber. Then the jobber stick around and drop kicked a plastic baby while screaming It's not my fault

https://youtu.be/93u1j_rELgA

The forced marriage was a woman getting mickey finned and then stuck in the back of a car and then getting married to a wrestler in a Vegas shotgun wedding.

In a strange twist the woman was Stephanie McMahon and the wrestler was HHH and they ended up actually getting married.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Jun 30, 2016

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

"Engineering here, we're experiencing fluctuations in the gravitational plating, captain."

I love how he's forced to stay seated and taken on an impromptu carnival ride.

This one is less funny, cause it looks like he's a drunk homeless guy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Don't forget the time that Triple H Killed someone's girlfriend, then went to her funeral while dressed up as said person and had sex with the corpse.

The Attitude Era was amazing for all the wrong reasons.

Jastiger posted:

Chyna used to wrestle against men all the time because she was a loving monster. But it does have to be said that they're at least trying to take their Women Wrestlers seriously now. They recently changed the "Divas Championship Belt" to the "Women's Championship Belt" and made it primarily red rather than pink with sequins. And there were some really great storylines earlier this year but then Daniel Bryan had to quit and his wife decided to quit too and a couple of the better female wrestlers got neck injuries that forced them to retire.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kurieg posted:

Don't forget the time that Triple H Killed someone's girlfriend, then went to her funeral while dressed up as said person and had sex with the corpse.

The Attitude Era was amazing for all the wrong reasons.

Chyna used to wrestle against men all the time because she was a loving monster. But it does have to be said that they're at least trying to take their Women Wrestlers seriously now. They recently changed the "Divas Championship Belt" to the "Women's Championship Belt" and made it primarily red rather than pink with sequins. And there were some really great storylines earlier this year but then Daniel Bryan had to quit and his wife decided to quit too and a couple of the better female wrestlers got neck injuries that forced them to retire.

Katie Vick and the Lita miscarriage storylines were post Attitude Era mostly

And both involved Kane.

Kane who keeps giving us the gift of horrible storylines

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

That's how you put English on a shot!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Was the Chris Benoit incident some kind of meta-storyline?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Inspector Gesicht posted:

No, just a tempest of drug problems, steroid issues, depression, concussions, and a psychotic break.

Chris Jericho just released an interview he did with Nancy Benoit's sister, which is one of the few times that she's publicly spoken about the horrific incident.

It's not very schadenfreude, and it can be tough, but it's a very good listen.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Not sure if you're being serious, but no. The guy was a really popular "good guy" wrestler who unfortunately suffered from drug addiction, depression, and brain damage from all his head injuries as a wrestler and eventually flipped out and killed his family and himself. The incident was so horrific and unexpected that the reaction was one of the few instances where the entire WWE broke character to discuss it.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 20:48 on Jun 30, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jastiger posted:

I think it makes perfect sense to have female competitors go against similarly weighted male competitors in standard matches that showcase talent, athelticism, and agility. NO stupid story line stuff, just good wrestling.

If you mean "real wrestling" (not sure what you mean by standard matches), that'd make no sense at all. At a given weight, men are massively stronger than women, an equal-weighted male wrestler's going to have about double the upper body strength of a female wrestler, a stronger grip strength, stronger lower body, stronger core, he's going to have a massive advantage in every aspect of wrestling. Only way that would begin to be a legitimate contest is if there were a massive disparity in skill level.

If you mean pro wrestling, yeah, okay, no reason that couldn't be fun.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Never mind that the WWE and organizations like it create environments where that sort of thing isn't going to be too unusual. They treat their people like poo poo.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Phanatic posted:

If you mean "real wrestling" (not sure what you mean by standard matches), that'd make no sense at all. At a given weight, men are massively stronger than women, an equal-weighted male wrestler's going to have about double the upper body strength of a female wrestler, a stronger grip strength, stronger lower body, stronger core, he's going to have a massive advantage in every aspect of wrestling. Only way that would begin to be a legitimate contest is if there were a massive disparity in skill level.

If you mean pro wrestling, yeah, okay, no reason that couldn't be fun.

As noted in the about dozen posts above mine, I meant pro wrestling, ya goof.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jastiger posted:

As noted in the about dozen posts above mine, I meant pro wrestling, ya goof.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

B,b,but women and men are equal! In consideration of law and societal worth, they should be. I've had a feminist look at me like I was murdering her family when I was trying to explain why things like differing fitness standards and competitive classes exist in things like sports and militaries and why they aren't inherently sexist.

E: to be fair, she was 18, and everyone is retarded as hell then.

Pvt.Scott has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Jun 30, 2016

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

WOOO!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Locator posted:

Yea... I don't know much about professional wrestling, and it sounds like I'll just happily keep it that way.

The WWE is weird because even though it's been outed as scripted stunt shows for decades, the culture behind kayfabe (the act of staying in character even outside the ring and pretending the whole thing is real everywhere you go) has forced the "sport" to occupy an unusual position where everyone pretends everything is real 24/7 when everyone knows it's not, right down to children who watch the stuff on TV. You kinda have to double-talk around everything because even though it's common knowledge that the whole thing is fake and you're watching actors pretending to fight one another, the actors will pretend that it's real to the extent of not being seen having friendly chats with wrestlers who are supposed to be their in-character rivals. It's all a big act that everyone (even the audience) is participating in.

And we've only just hit the point where kayfabe is regularly dropped outside of performances. For much of pro wrestling's history, it really was supposed to be a secret that everything was staged and a lot of unsavory poo poo happened to keep it up. In the pre-internet days you could fake an injury to go wrestle overseas or take a break (in the earliest days of faked wrestling you could even wrestle in different parts of the US under different characters without being caught), but there's been cases of even the details of deaths being faked to avoid breaking kayfabe. Ella Waldek bodyslammed another female wrestler in 1951 and she dropped dead from aggravating an existing medical problem, but kayfabe meant she could never publicly speak about the accident or reveal that the wrestlers were co-workers pretending to beat the poo poo out of each other. She spent the next 20 years of her wrestling career being accused of murder by fans, who thought she was a bloodthirsty maniac killing people in the ring. It would take a good 50 years for her to finally be allowed to speak the truth in a documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

chitoryu12 posted:

Not sure if you're being serious, but no. The guy was a really popular "good guy" wrestler who unfortunately suffered from drug addiction, depression, and brain damage from all his head injuries as a wrestler and eventually flipped out and killed his family and himself. The incident was so horrific and unexpected that the reaction was one of the few instances where the entire WWE broke character to discuss it.

The worst part about it for me, was they did a massive tribute show before any of the details were released, only to have the horrific details come out right after. As a fan, and a person, it a gut wrenching emotional swing.