Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Discussion on BBC radio is that Gove is a Murdoch-directed missile designed to destroy BoJo. Murdoch thinks BoJo would be too soft on EU/Brexit/immigration and would do badly in a GE. Gove's statements, body language and lack of ambition suggest he doesn't want the PM job and knows he will not get selected. Gove realises that he would never get elected and isn't going to campaign hard because he knows he's out. I guess Gove figures he's reached his ceiling and will head into the City.consulting/directorships. Murdoch gets Fox or May.

That doesn't sound too :tinfoil: I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Goodness gracious is it typical for the British press to publish rumors that can be falsified in fifteen seconds?

I'm used to media pushing an agenda in a calculated, deniable way (and then getting indignant when called out for having an agenda) but Brexit has introduced me to a whole different beast. It seems like absolutely nobody -- neither the media itself nor Brits -- expect the media to actually publish facts, or at the very least try to.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

St. Dogbert posted:

Any chance of someone with the slightest bit of realism in their worldview getting in and not following through on Article 50?

Even with the best will and everyone 100% becoming Pro-EU all of a sudden, we've just imploded and destabilised other countries. I don't think 'tired and emotional' is going to cut it, and what would stop all this from playing out again? Maybe if it involved grovelling, but I don't think that's a remote possiblity.

It's the consequence of the referendum, for all of us.

E: Beaten like Johnson's career. And yes, May will gently caress the poors but then that's nothing new :sigh:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ShredsYouSay posted:

What's the services tariff under wto.? I tried accessing their website but kept getting warnings it might steal my credit card details.

Considering how hard it is for companies out of non-EU countries to offer any service in the EU I'd say it's irrelevant, since the regulations kill any idea of it far in advance. Only way would be founding a company inside the EU to route services through.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

St. Dogbert posted:

Any chance of someone with the slightest bit of realism in their worldview getting in?
Lol gently caress no, not unless there's a GE

St. Dogbert posted:

And not following through on Article 50?
Entirely possible.

On another note:
https://twitter.com/DougieMacM/status/748542937139679232

quote:

Angela Eagle resigned, citing Hilary Benn's dismissal.

But she set up Angela4Leader website - 2 days earlier

This entirely spontaneous hourly mass resignation wasn't remotely planned in advance, no sir.

What I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall in the PLP discussions about who should run for leader - they MUST know that whoever does gets their career hosed forever unless they change parties.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

St. Dogbert posted:

Then again, you can at least rest easy knowing that your Tories aren't going to name, say, Simon Cowell as leader of the party, so you're one up on the Canadian version.

You know, you could at least name one of the Dragons' Den UK judges if you want to draw a more appropriate comparison.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/748547049361117184

Oh these little victories.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Heavy neutrino posted:

Goodness gracious is it typical for the British press to publish rumors that can be falsified in fifteen seconds?

it didn't used to be, but Twitter. the british tradition is to pay no heed to rumors and simply print deliberate falsehoods

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'm used to media pushing an agenda in a calculated, deniable way (and then getting indignant when called out for having an agenda) but Brexit has introduced me to a whole different beast. It seems like absolutely nobody -- neither the media itself nor Brits -- expect the media to actually publish facts, or at the very least try to.

Sadly these days, yes, it definitely is. Nothing is fact checked, because we live in a post-factual society that hates experts.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

god drat uk politics turned into a bizarre shitshow recently. more of one anyway. and the media seems to have gone bananas too

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

St. Dogbert posted:

Any chance of someone with the slightest bit of realism in their worldview getting in and not following through on Article 50?

Only a little sarcastic

For May, leaving Europe means losing all those pesky human rights policies that the EU keep enforcing. A breakdown in society increases the need for a 'firm grip' and passing legislation 'for the public good'.

In short:

For Gove, leaving Europe means losing all those pesky employment rights and environmental policies that the EU keep enforcing. A breakdown in the economy means we'd have to sell/give away the NHS 'for the public good'.

In short:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I skipped the last 50 pages, did the vine of Gove failing to clap come up yet?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Heavy neutrino posted:

No - they usually publish rumors that can be falsified simply by reading the rumor. Something that takes fifteen seconds to disprove is a step up, actually.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

its spinners and losers but actually going on and probably even more ridiculous

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

I skipped the last 50 pages, did the vine of Gove failing to clap come up yet?

Yes, but it is glorious so if you wanted to post it again i'd not be upset :D

E: Thinking about it i'd love if it got into next months OP because it's just so Brexit.txt

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Don't have an article or link, but just heard on the radio that there were 300-310 race related hate crimes reported in the week since the referendum result. The week before, the number was about 60

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
https://twitter.com/JakeBerry/status/748543644202852352

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/748475471902306304
Done.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Don't have an article or link, but just heard on the radio that there were 300-310 race related hate crimes reported in the week since the referendum result. The week before, the number was about 60

I only have it from a tweet without a link, so can't help, but I've definitely seen the stat. No idea if it's accurate. GThe numbers I saw were 331:63.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

thespaceinvader posted:

I only have it from a tweet without a link, so can't help, but I've definitely seen the stat. No idea if it's accurate. GThe numbers I saw were 331:63.

I think this is the same tweet then

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/748549432694743040

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

CoolCab posted:

it didn't used to be, but Twitter. the british tradition is to pay no heed to rumors and simply print deliberate falsehoods

I was mostly referring to the shitstorm the media cooked up from a deliberate misquote of Corbyn's speech against anti-semitism and islamophobia. Besides, how does a call not to judge Jewish people by the actions of the Israeli state and not to judge Muslims by the actions of terrorist organizations filter through the media as comparing Israel to ISIS?

I mean what kind of person seriously hijacks a call for racial tolerance (in the middle of a climate of racial violence) to make some lovely smear at a leftist? Maybe just this once you should probably put your hatred aside and let Corbyn fight racism? This might seem outrageous but I dunno maybe there are some times when it's more important to fight racial violence than to get a leftist you don't like out of power?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I refuse to believe that man is not a robot whose AI is being trained real-time by really bad behavioural analytics algorithms.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

thespaceinvader posted:

Sadly these days, yes, it definitely is. Nothing is fact checked, because we live in a post-factual society that hates experts.

Cool dude Nick Davies did some research that found out somewhere around 10% of British news is fact checked at all.

It's more to do with the media being privatised and run like a McDonalds than much else though. There are very few papers with staff that even remember how to journalism.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the weird thing he does with his mouth is what gets me every time

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

More will be reported, as there has been a big push recently to get them reported. There probably are more being committed, but the discrepancy won't be quite that large.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Is it incredible to anybody else about how people in the UK are still racist against the Polish? Is it just a well understood thing there? As an american, I keep seeing articles about polish hate crimes and envisioning Malory Archer.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Excelzior posted:

Gove is a rodent from outer space.

Wakko posted:

Is it incredible to anybody else about how people in the UK are still racist against the Polish? Is it just a well understood thing there? As an american, I keep seeing articles about polish hate crimes and envisioning Malory Archer.

No, the UK is an insular (heh) nation perpetually weary of its continental neighbours.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/skymarkwhite/status/748545603534192640
Not quite but close.

Excelzior posted:

For me it's how loving tiny his hands are compared to his head.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

thespaceinvader posted:

You know what they say about cuckservatives with small hands

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

thespaceinvader posted:

Apparently such is the indicator of a garbage human being. Can you imagine him and Trump shaking hands? It would be... deeply unsettling.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Isn't that a photoshop? That can't be real. That can't be the face and hand of human being. Oh that boor boy

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wakko posted:

The tabloids loved them when they were escaping the Iron Curtain but once the Soviet Union came down those "brave survivors of communism" became sponging migrants coming to take are jorbs and benefits.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Heavy neutrino posted:

I was mostly referring to the shitstorm the media cooked up from a deliberate misquote of Corbyn's speech against anti-semitism and islamophobia. Besides, how does a call not to judge Jewish people by the actions of the Israeli state and not to judge Muslims by the actions of terrorist organizations filter through the media as comparing Israel to ISIS?

I mean what kind of person seriously hijacks a call for racial tolerance (in the middle of a climate of racial violence) to make some lovely smear at a leftist? Maybe just this once you should probably put your hatred aside and let Corbyn fight racism? This might seem outrageous but I dunno maybe there are some times when it's more important to fight racial violence than to get a leftist you don't like out of power?

Yeah I had to step away from this thread and politics in general for a lot of today because of precisely this poo poo. I'm not Corbyn's biggest fan (but can't see a good alternative to him) but this was seriously the most inoffensive, anti-racist speech I had seen and the spin and lies around it have been crazy.

I am all for condemning anyone who holds anti-semitic views and think they should not be in government but these smears against Corbyn and Labour this year have been really saddening. Still no hard evidence for any of it and the incident we had the most evidence for, Corbyn suspended the responsible MP. Hardly evidence of widespread racism and anti-semitism in the party.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Wakko posted:

the polish are just below muslims in terms of being hated by british bigots

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Wakko posted:

Best thing to do with people with an anti-Polish perspective is to ask them what they think about the Polish contribution to the Battle of Britain. Always confuses the poo poo out of them.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Friendly Humour posted:

Isn't that a photoshop? That can't be real. That can't be the face and hand of human being. Oh that boor boy

Seriously, that clip strikes a lot of uncanny valley notes in my brain.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
So has Boris supplanted Cameron as King of the Cowards?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

NLJP posted:

Yeah I had to step away from this thread and politics in general for a lot of today because of precisely this poo poo. I'm not Corbyn's biggest fan (but can't see a good alternative to him) but this was seriously the most inoffensive, anti-racist speech I had seen and the spin and lies around it have been crazy.

I am all for condemning anyone who holds anti-semitic views and think they should not be in government but these smears against Corbyn and Labour this year have been really saddening. Still no hard evidence for any of it and the incident we had the most evidence for, Corbyn suspended the responsible MP. Hardly evidence of widespread racism and anti-semitism in the party.

I have to say, it was probably not the analogy I'd've used in his position, because of how easy it is to misinterpret, but that's why I respect him. If he hadn't said it, they'd've found or made up something else instead.

It's for this reason that I've mostly stayed out of the discussion around the issue, because it's so hard to talk about honestly without being willfully misconstrued.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Gum posted:

the polish are just below muslims in terms of being hated by british bigots

i have literally only once heard anti polish racism

3 of us were driving south crossing into the states, 1 canadian, 1 american(old black veteran) and meee

and the border agent guy was polish and he was giving the black guy trouble about his ID (he only had his military ID)

and we got through and the black guy started going off about how he comes back home to the states and some goddamn russian comrade is demanding papers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

So has Boris supplanted Cameron as King of the Cowards?

Nope that's still Hillary Benn.

• Locked thread