Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Digirat posted:

It looks like there's some new players from the sale so here's the usual list of Cool Tips that the game doesn't really tell you. (let me know if I forgot anything)

This is good stuff, let me add some more Cool Tips.

- There is no "ranged" character. If you are playing as the elf or the wizard or whatever and you are sitting in the back only ever using your ranged weapon then you are absolutely not contributing enough to the team. All characters have great melee options, get in there and stab rats.

- Roger isn't considered Armored, so the fastest way to damage him in melee is to spam light attacks, unless you have a weapon that charges strong attacks exceptionally quickly, like the Witch Hunter's rapier.

- You can back/side dash while aiming with your ranged weapons. This is especially useful for fast-firing ranged weapons.

- Your block meter regenerates at the same speed no matter what you're doing. No need to drop your block to get shields back.

- The only end-of-level stat you should be concerned about is Damage Taken. It doesn't matter how many kills you get if you are sucking up all the health kits. Your number 1 priority is not taking damage. Your number 2 priority is preventing enemies from damaging your allies. Depending on your teammates this can be easy or impossible.

- Friendly fire is enabled on Nightmare or Cataclysm difficulties. Melee weapons never deal friendly fire, but ranged weapons and bombs do. Most ranged weapons don't hurt your teammates that much, but be especially careful with fire damage. The bigger issue is a bullet that hits your teammate is a bullet that didn't hit a rat.

- Kill rats, have a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mzbundifund posted:

- Roger isn't considered Armored, so the fastest way to damage him in melee is to spam light attacks, unless you have a weapon that charges strong attacks exceptionally quickly, like the Witch Hunter's rapier.
- Roger refers to the Rat Ogre

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh melee doesn't friendly fire? Thats so much more manageable

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Using the Lua Executer I was able to turn Friendly Fire on...for melee.

it's very cute.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Ore seems to come in real slow. Like I need to smelt 10 greens to make something into a blue I think? That's crazy with one item per run.

How do staves rank? I'm using the mace so I'm not worried about stormvermin

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

bolt is auto-aim scrub tier but is very effective, beam is great, other staves outside of fireball are fun and good

fireball is a little lackluster

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fireball basically has nothing to recommend it over Conflag.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Night10194 posted:

Fireball basically has nothing to recommend it over Conflag.

It does have one thing, though this only really applies to Hard, in that you can spit out a low damage fireball which stuns much faster than getting the conflag out. This can be useful when surrounded or someone else is surrounded. However, it does FF on Nightmare+, so you can't just drop them on top of yourself or allies anymore.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Any recommendations for tackling Summoner's Peak on Cataclysm? I've run it with more than a few groups that can get to the end, but then fall apart at the last generator. A mix of the two portals + ogre make it really tough to beat.

Last level I need to beat on Cataclysm too and it's proving to be really tricky.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TheTatteredKing posted:

Ore seems to come in real slow. Like I need to smelt 10 greens to make something into a blue I think? That's crazy with one item per run.

That's only to take a single item and upgrade it to the next tier entirely with ore. The cost goes down massively the more items you put in. To get an orange it goes from 1 item and 300 ore, to 2 items and 180 ore, to 90 ore, and to 30 ore. In general I would not fuse fewer than 3 things together at a time. You'll get greens quickly by just playing whatever feels fun and not fretting over doing nothing but full library runs, and those greens will turn into blues. Once you move up to nightmare you'll get blues regularly.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

TheTatteredKing posted:

It's probably been said before but if you're trying to gear up real fast in Vermintide you're going to have a Bad Time. Loot feels more incidental than critical and while it's really annoying as a starting player that you can't always check out all the weapons you might want, that problem resolves itself in short order. It will be some time before you probably nab an orange, barring a lucky roll, and if you do it'll probably be one you don't want.

In general it's useful to see loot as a cool bonus thing to make the game more interesting than the focus of the game itself because as a progression system ala an RPG it would be really lovely.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I really want to try the dlc missions before I pull the trigger on getting them. All I know is they drop the only other acceptable melee weapon for the elf, who I haven't been using.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I thought we ran them before? Maybe I did that w out you. You can try them if host has them

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Mendrian posted:

it'll probably be one you don't want.

I got my first orange tonight and it's the witch hunter's axe pfft

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheTatteredKing posted:

I got my first orange tonight and it's the witch hunter's axe pfft

man he loving called that one

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

not killing rat is heresy

but goddamn that is some cute heresy

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Coolguye posted:

man he loving called that one

I tried it. I really like a weapon that one shots that normal rats but is faster than the two handers. But I guess theres nothing to help against crowds.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

TheTatteredKing posted:

I tried it. I really like a weapon that one shots that normal rats but is faster than the two handers. But I guess theres nothing to help against crowds.

It's actually quite good for the farm mission, since your main problem will be haphazardly dealing with Stormvermin.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I also guess it's one of the better melee options for the roger, although melee seems bad against him in general. Also my traits for it seem p bad. Like backstabbing

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TheTatteredKing posted:

I also guess it's one of the better melee options for the roger, although melee seems bad against him in general. Also my traits for it seem p bad. Like backstabbing

Backstab is one of the few really good options for the hatchet. It's still a terrible weapon but if you get a single charged backstab into a Stormvermin on Nightmare he dies.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

oh yeah it is easy to get rear end shots on the ogre too huh

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Backstab also outright doubles the damage of your attack if you hit from behind. It's obviously situational, but it can be solid on weapons designed to fight 'hard' targets anyway.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Now I just need to find a ranged weapon for the witch hunter I like and I'll actually play him. All I got is a white brace and repeater

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean I did fine with a Green Rapier on Nightmare with him because I didn't get a good Rapier until I got my orange. Rapier's a fantastic weapon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Coolguye posted:

not killing rat is heresy

but goddamn that is some cute heresy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEGo41443iI

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What does it mean when I don't want to bash a rat? :ohdear:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Safety Factor posted:

What does it mean when I don't want to bash a rat? :ohdear:

Pet rats are beautiful, wonderful creatures.

Wild rats not so much.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

all will die-die

brrring ruindeath

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Digirat posted:

all will die-die

brrring ruindeath

ALLL WILL FEEEED!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

will stab-stab

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

TheTatteredKing posted:

although melee seems bad against him in general

Well, yes and no.

It can be difficult to headshot the roger given his tiny skull and the fact that he keeps moving around. Rapid, uncharged melee strikes are a better option for most characters than plinking away at range. If you're playing Saltzpyre than the brace of pistols can be better than melee if you quaff a potion first.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Potion+Repeater Pistol, for whatever faults the weapon has, will ruin Roger's entire day.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Mendrian posted:

Well, yes and no.

It can be difficult to headshot the roger given his tiny skull and the fact that he keeps moving around. Rapid, uncharged melee strikes are a better option for most characters than plinking away at range. If you're playing Saltzpyre than the brace of pistols can be better than melee if you quaff a potion first.

Headshots seem to ruin him. He was getting stunned by bombs and I put four into his head with the longbow and he died right away. Also the auto aim on that bow is weird and interesting. The elf seems like she hs pretty bad weapon variety so I haven't been looking at her much.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Potion+Repeater Pistol, for whatever faults the weapon has, will ruin Roger's entire day.

I think the volley bow can be really useful on the ogre as well. Str potion+volley bow has been far better for me in my experience. In fact, it's probably my favorite of Saltzpyre's ranged options, and that's taking into account that all have maxed skull cracker. And yeah, the rapier is by far his best weapon. As much as I like the sns for Kruber, or the sword and dagger for Kerillian, the rapier, once you get use to it, can pick apart enemies. Getting surrounded can be dicey, but liberal use of slides, cuts, and thrusts usually kills rats dead. Bloodlust is also nice - although I think that's a given for any weapon that can use it.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Kerillian's dual-dagger charge attack is pretty much the only reason I'll pick an elf; I swear it does more damage to stormvermin from behind somehow.

Also Saltpyre's "holy shitman" line will never get old.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
HULY SHIGMAW, BUHLESS THIS RAVAGED BODEH

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

That line is great.

I duct taped all my great hammers into a blue one and dumped all my ore into its traits. Blood lust is absolutely amazing holy poo poo. I did the grey seer with fastest gun and I didn't need to heal all run.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Digirat posted:

will stab-stab

always sneaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

TheTatteredKing posted:

That line is great.

I duct taped all my great hammers into a blue one and dumped all my ore into its traits. Blood lust is absolutely amazing holy poo poo. I did the grey seer with fastest gun and I didn't need to heal all run.

Not as good as "Yooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuur clumsiness..."

• Locked thread