Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the venom blast is like if every issue of Lee/Ditko Amazing Spider-Man was resolved by Peter shooting the villain in the face with webbing

every time

without variation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I still really love Spider-Man, and I'm glad Bendis is keeping the thing where some criminal in handcuffs cosplaying a superhero character yells about the motto of an ongoing event from USM.

Blockhouse posted:

the venom blast is like if every issue of Lee/Ditko Amazing Spider-Man was resolved by Peter shooting the villain in the face with webbing

every time

without variation

As opposed to every issue of Lee/Ditko AS-M having Peter Parker in despair that he can't do something, then realizing that he can, in fact, do that thing just in time to beat the bad guy?

I mean I love the first 200 issues of AS-M but that was a good majority of the comic resolutions.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 30, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Even if we decline to argue that description of those issues, there are different levels of narrative formula. Must overcome personal uncertainty offers a heck of a lot more variety than need to summon Megazord/use spider hand every time.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Squizzle posted:

Even if we decline to argue that description of those issues, there are different levels of narrative formula. Must overcome personal uncertainty offers a heck of a lot more variety than need to summon Megazord/use spider hand every time.

Yeah, but even if the villain is defeated in somewhat different ways, you'd still have the problem that every issue was still basically the same even outside of the villain. There is a scene where Flash makes fun of Peter and then Peter has seven panels of internal dialog about how Flash would treat him differently if he knew is idol was really Spider-man! Then another 8 panels of Peter having the exact same girl problems over and over again. Then a couple pages of Peter getting beaten by villain of the week. A page of Peter wondering if he should quit being Spider-man. Then the final pages of him being inspired in some way and prevailing.

I appreciate the original Spider-man comics for what they were, and I know they were written with the assumption that not everyone is going to read every issue, but they are really hard to binge read these days.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Who knows. He'll keep venom blasting his way through every story forever until Bendis lets him go.

I'm 100% fully expecting him to beat Annihilus with a venom blast in Avengers.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

TwoPair posted:

I do find the fact that Miles somehow remembers doing his weird super-venom-blast before interesting. So like, does he remember the old world and blasting Ultimate Doom? Or did he just blast some other douche in this brave new fused world?

I dunno, the idea that Miles also has no history makes me think the Molecule Man's gift is going to come up sooner or later.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's just another Brand New Day situation where they'll avoid the topic for a year or two, then half-resolve it in a really lame way and never bring it up again in hopes that we stop caring.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Little Mac posted:

I dunno, the idea that Miles also has no history makes me think the Molecule Man's gift is going to come up sooner or later.

He does have a history, but as seen at the end of the issue his father got SHIELD too wipe it. Has nothing to do with Molecule Man.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

X-O posted:

He does have a history, but as seen at the end of the issue his father got SHIELD too wipe it. Has nothing to do with Molecule Man.

I think that's the implication, but why would they just erase all his records? How would that help him? It's weird. You're probably right, but I'd still like to see it come up.

Also, this issue reminded me of Ultimate Kingpin unmasking Ultimate Pete.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I don't know why people think Miles was completely erased instead of just having the records altered so that his fingerprints didn't match anything. I mean I'm sure Shield can fake some fingerprints and put them on Miles Morales record.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I thought the Molecule Man's gift was just giving him his mom back.

As for being wiped, I assumed it was SHIELD right away because this is exactly the same thing that happened early on in Ultimate Spider-man when the Kingpin tried to figure out who Peter was. They just went "the brat is connected with SHIELD" and they all panicked. Hopefully Bendis goes somewhere different from last time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I assumed the gift was he got his life transplanted into 616, along with those closest to him. As far as we know the UU was destroyed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I assumed the gift was he got his life transplanted into 616, along with those closest to him. As far as we know the UU was destroyed.

Every Universe was destroyed, including 616, but Franklin and Molecule Man are actively creating new ones, including the one all the current books are set in, which is basically 616, but with the serial number filed off. Theoretically there could be a universe out there that's functionally identical to Ultimate, knowing Franklin though most of them are probably Dinosaurs fighting Cowboys, or something with pirates.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Every Universe was destroyed, including 616, but Franklin and Molecule Man are actively creating new ones, including the one all the current books are set in, which is basically 616, but with the serial number filed off. Theoretically there could be a universe out there that's functionally identical to Ultimate, knowing Franklin though most of them are probably Dinosaurs fighting Cowboys, or something with pirates.

I think it's pretty clear that the first thing Reed did was restore his universe when he gained control of the power.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I think it's pretty clear that the first thing Reed did was restore his universe when he gained control of the power.

I bet he fixed Doom's face even before that, just to show off.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I've enjoyed this series so far as someone's who's only read more recent Spider-Man stuff, and this article (also by Brian Cronin) is a lot of fun too so I really do hope that MJ continues to play a big role,* whether that be in the Iron Man books and/or the Spidey books, especially with the One More Day shenanigans occurring.

*or that she gets her own series. Spider-Man Loves Mary-Jane and her miniseries that preceded that were a lot of fun, but I'd love to see the current 616 MJ be explored in more detail, as someone with her feet in both the superheroic and normal world (well, 'normal' for a model/actress/club owner). With all the various other Spider-People running around, she could be really interesting as a touchstone for them, especially if Miles remembers Ultimate MJ, and Spider-Gwen and Silk could have fun interactions with her too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Didn't MJ have her own local NY late-night talk show at one point in the comics?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

A new Spidey comic is coming out this year by Gerry Conway.

Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

Interesting. It was rumored that Mary Jane from the mini was going to cross into the 616 universe and coexist with original MJ when SW was wrapping up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mary-Jane and Peter who are married will end up in Marvel. The current Peter will die but his spider-powers will be transferred to the current Mary-Jane while married Peter takes over as Spider-Man.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They just introduced the idea that Peter MJ and Regent sort of remember RYV so I don't know how that works.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Is Miles' current run good? Just finished Iron Man #5 and I'm ready to drop that and lose all faith in Bendis.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Spider-Man is excellent, yes, and this is coming from a guy who felt that Miles' Ultimate run was mixed at best (although he was an excellent character in it).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The only warning I give for reading Miles Spider-Man is beware if you're not a fan of the venom blast.

It doesn't bother me too much, but it does others and I totally get why.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ImpAtom posted:

Mary-Jane and Peter who are married will end up in Marvel. The current Peter will die but his spider-powers will be transferred to the current Mary-Jane while married Peter takes over as Spider-Man.

I would read that if only because Mary Jane is currently so explicitly and vocally done with Superhero Bullshit. Her getting a fairly robust and versatile power set would be kind of hilarious.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Wanderer posted:

I would read that if only because Mary Jane is currently so explicitly and vocally done with Superhero Bullshit. Her getting a fairly robust and versatile power set would be kind of hilarious.

Well has DC comics got a storyline for you!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

Spider-Man is excellent, yes, and this is coming from a guy who felt that Miles' Ultimate run was mixed at best (although he was an excellent character in it).

Shinjobi posted:

The only warning I give for reading Miles Spider-Man is beware if you're not a fan of the venom blast.

It doesn't bother me too much, but it does others and I totally get why.

Hmm. Well, I'll give it a shot and see what happens when we get to it. I don't mind it too much but every subsequent time of "oh man, this villain is way out of Miles' league, good thing he managed to zap the venom blast in!" got more annoying than the last.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

but every subsequent time of "oh man, this villain is way out of Miles' league, good thing he managed to zap the venom blast in!" got more annoying than the last.

This hasn't stopped.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
and from how bendis has reacted to people complaining about it, it's not going to stop

which is part of why I'm really thinking of dropping it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Blockhouse posted:

and from how bendis has reacted to people complaining about it, it's not going to stop

which is part of why I'm really thinking of dropping it

Oooh, I wanna see! Like I said, it doesn't bother me, but if Bendis is being a poo poo I wanna hear about it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

CharlestheHammer posted:

They just introduced the idea that Peter MJ and Regent sort of remember RYV so I don't know how that works.

When did this happen? I'm pretty sure I'm caught up but I don't recall this at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Argue posted:

When did this happen? I'm pretty sure I'm caught up but I don't recall this at all.

The last issue of Amazing. When they were all fighting they started talking about how familiar it all was.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

X-O posted:

The last issue of Amazing. When they were all fighting they started talking about how familiar it all was.

The panel is actually on the reveal page for the the RYV on whatever thread that was posted in if you want to see it without buying the issue.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

God drat I want to read this. I mean, Spiral was not Conway's best work (although still great), but he writes Peter & MJ amazingly (see: his original run, Parallel Lives).

Edit: oh, it's a followup to the actual mini by the looks of it.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 13, 2016

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

I hope this doesn't mean that his Carnage series is ending.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've just realised one downside of the RYV announcement: with the cancellation of Web Warriors and likely any future appearances of Mayday/Spider-Girl (especially since so much of her character got hollowed out by Slott in Spider-Verse), it's entirely possible that she's going to be overshadowed by Annie as the daughter of Spider-Man in a few years.

:smith:

Yes, I know I'm probably the only person on the planet that cares.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Haven't gotten to Conway's run but I did enjoy Spiral quite a bit, so i'm down for whatever this ends up being.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I've just realised one downside of the RYV announcement: with the cancellation of Web Warriors and likely any future appearances of Mayday/Spider-Girl (especially since so much of her character got hollowed out by Slott in Spider-Verse), it's entirely possible that she's going to be overshadowed by Annie as the daughter of Spider-Man in a few years.

:smith:

Yes, I know I'm probably the only person on the planet that cares.

Now I'm double down for it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Haven't gotten to Conway's run but I did enjoy Spiral quite a bit, so i'm down for whatever this ends up being.

Now I'm double down for it.

Oh god, I'm officially the DT/WickedHate of the Spider-thread.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The difference is that Spidey is the best superhero ever created. It's fine to obsess over him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The difference is that Spidey is the best superhero ever created. It's fine to obsess over him.

But the thing is I'm partisan for Spider-Girl, and not Spider-Man (although he is probably my favourite superhero), and she appears to be this thread's Red Hood.

• Locked thread