Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Probably one of the 18XX that was hand-made by mystic dwarves in the mines of Moria using tiny hammers that I have in my collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tekopo posted:

There are probably less than 20 people that actually have played 18OE in the world, so I doubt it.

You know what 18OE is missing? Detailed logistical rules for train operations, with trains using coal and water per hex, models using more coal per hex prior to the development of the Kylchap exhaust obviously. Train drivers tracked individually with experience scores for each. A 10' long map.

We need The Campaign For North African Railways.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Probably one of the 18XX that was hand-made by mystic dwarves in the mines of Moria using tiny hammers that I have in my collection.

I would be more interested in 18XX if it were literally dwarven trains tunneling through Moria and setting up trains.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

Yeah it's just a curiosity; what's the world-least-played game in everyone's collection...that the person has played, I guess? Like, is mine NT, GoG? Papparazzo the weird card game we played once? Maybe Nauticus?

Mage Wars :negative:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

MikeCrotch posted:

You know what 18OE is missing? Detailed logistical rules for train operations, with trains using coal and water per hex, models using more coal per hex prior to the development of the Kylchap exhaust obviously. Train drivers tracked individually with experience scores for each. A 10' long map.

Please stop, it's hard to conceal an erection while I'm at work.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

MikeCrotch posted:

Set it during the 30s and play as the Nazis making the trains run on time.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

There are probably less than 20 people that actually have played 18OE in the world, so I doubt it.

I know this is a joke post but it's an interesting estimation challenge. I'd guess somewhere between 1,000-10,000, though I wouldn't be shocked if it was a little lower. I'm almost certain it's over 500 though.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

SirFelixCat posted:

It's simply not a game. It's an activity.

Doesn't TAN have a fail state, something like the winner earning fate and destiny points. I think that would move it out of the activity range of things.

I'm not being a dick, I read the rules once and vaguely remember their being conditions for a winner.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

w00tmonger posted:

Sorry is this a bad thing? I have so many boxes where poo poo would just go everywhere if I had them on their side...

Horizontal storage is bad for your boxes, it's annoying to take out a box, and even more annoying to put a box back. Trade-off is you need to use baggies , plastic containers or well-designed inserts (be it original or home-made) to prevent jumbled components.

Texibus posted:

Doesn't TAN have a fail state, something like the winner earning fate and destiny points. I think that would move it out of the activity range of things.

I'm not being a dick, I read the rules once and vaguely remember their being conditions for a winner.

Point is that TAN is so random that players don't have influence over who wins. Much like...Monopoly.

theroachman fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 30, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Texibus posted:

Yeah, there is such a thing as 'winning' TAN, but that's not really the point of the game. I play the game once a year or so and I just do it to have hilarious adventures and don't really care about my points. It's not a sturdy enough game to actually be competitive, but it's entertaining as a experience generator.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Collectors Edition of Scythe arrived today and got it to the table

+ Beautiful production value. Very glad I paid for the CE, as the premium bits add a lot of wow factor, as does the massive version of the board.
+ Plays pretty much exactly like anticipated. Very euro, very engine buildy. Combat is more Rex than Kemet, and like Rex, is best used sparingly.
+ A lot going on. Will enjoy mining the depths of this one
- Explanation was tedious. Even with experienced gamers, they were approaching overload. I'm not sure how you'd tackle making it less onerous, other than maybe leaving bottom row actions until turn 3 or so?
- A printing/graphic design screw up on one player board meant that one player was taking money every time they moved. They won our learning game handily, and it wasn't until it was over we realised what had happened. Be very careful explaining that it's Move OR take coins.

Will have more impressions later, but so far it's an interesting hybrid area control. Has a lot of DNA in common with games like Hyperborea and Romolo O Remo. I really like those, but I know they're a little dry for some.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

djfooboo posted:

Holy poo poo, I have an aunt who is crafty and has all the expansions. Forwarding this to her :) She'll need a bigger box.

I think potentially I could have fit the expansions in if I had made the insert differently. If I had put card slots at 30 degree angles and stacked them all up, maybe. I only have the base game for now, though, so it's fine.

And if I get expansions, it wouldn't be hard to remake the insert.

Definitely not sleeved though. I'm not sure if I'd be able to squeeze just the base game in sleeved.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 30, 2016

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rutibex posted:

Mage Wars :negative:

Hey, both my wife and I have played mage wars, not even with eachother!

Don't own it though.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

blackmongoose posted:

I know this is a joke post but it's an interesting estimation challenge. I'd guess somewhere between 1,000-10,000, though I wouldn't be shocked if it was a little lower. I'm almost certain it's over 500 though.

Note he said played not owned :eng101:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

For people with interesting financial situations, apparently reddit says that a Large Padded Cajon Drum Bag is just as good as some of those custom Kickstarter board game bags.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

golden bubble posted:

For people with interesting financial situations, apparently reddit says that a Large Padded Cajon Drum Bag is just as good as some of those custom Kickstarter board game bags.

Yup, but a $1 IKEA bag is still the best option because carrying 30+ lbs I'm a square backpack is terrible on your body and looks goofy as gently caress.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Yeah it's just a curiosity; what's the world-least-played game in everyone's collection...that the person has played, I guess? Like, is mine NT, GoG? Papparazzo the weird card game we played once? Maybe Nauticus?

For me and my wife, Fruits Basket: Friends of the Zodiac.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yup, but a $1 IKEA bag is still the best option because carrying 30+ lbs I'm a square backpack is terrible on your body and looks goofy as gently caress.

Yeah, that or a reusable grocery bag if you aren't bringing a huge box game.

I don't understand why everything needs a "gamer" specific product.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

I always go with the $1 IKEA bag. I can carry three very large games easily and can fit more if they aren't huge.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Papes posted:

Yeah, that or a reusable grocery bag if you aren't bringing a huge box game.

I don't understand why everything needs a "gamer" specific product.

People are terrible with money and will drop 2-5x normal price on something tagged as being for gamers, of course.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

SilverMike posted:

People are terrible with money and will drop 2-5x normal price on something tagged as being for gamers, of course.

That, coupled with the disliking some aspect of the first "standard" method tried.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

homullus posted:

I always go with the $1 IKEA bag. I can carry three very large games easily and can fit more if they aren't huge.

$1? Well look at Mr Rockefeller here. Plastic grocery bags are free! :rolleyes:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Rutibex posted:

Just make your own bags out of cardboard and packing tape

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
It's a question of weight. You are not carrying Imperial Assault, Caverna, and FCM in a grocery store plastic bag without the bag breaking. I do a rolling cart myself.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Are you familiar with the IKEA bags in question? Or is this a story about how you collect free plastic grocery bags and stick them together with the fruit preserves in the bottom of the jar and recycled staples?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

w00tmonger posted:

Just make your own bags out of cardboard and packing tape

Packing tape costs money friend, here is a better alternative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiHojsMTBeA

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Just throw all your games' contents into one big Ikea bag and bring it everywhere. Instant game any time!

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I used an Ikea bag for my recycling and the bag fell apart

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

jmzero posted:

There's perhaps another dimension here too in terms of what causes problems: what losing is like. I mean, if you're losing in Galaxy Trucker, you still get to play Galaxy Trucker and build a ship and participate. Why would you forego that just to screw with someone? If you're losing Monopoly, you don't get to do anything, you just get to death spiral and every move brings you inexorably closer to death. I understand how that makes "acting out" more likely in Monopoly - I mean, you want to do "something", right?
Yes, this is because the act of playing Galaxy Trucker is fun regardless of whether you win or lose, while the same can't be said of monopoly. The only joy in monopoly is grinding your family into poverty and eliminating them. A game that is only fun to win and no fun to play is not a good game and leads to all sorts of issues.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dr Tran posted:

I used an Ikea bag for my recycling and the bag fell apart

Ok? I guarantee they last as long as those cheap fake cordura bags people are hocking on Kickstarter that are basically Walmart quality fabric. The difference being $75-$100

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I'm really excited to try out codex, all the game mechanics look amazing. But my god is the art and theme the most blandly uninspired, low effort, completely loving inconsistent, copy pasted, bullshit I have ever seen.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

[quote="Fenn the Fool!" post=""461617860"]
But my god is the art and theme the most blandly uninspired, low effort, completely loving inconsistent, copy pasted, bullshit I have ever seen.
[/quote]

Davidsirlin.jpg

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I admit, I laughed at Regular-sized Rhinoceros.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A lot of people in my gaming group including myself use this for transporting games and it's very great for that purpose. I can easily fit six regular-sized board games in there no problem at minimum and still have plenty of room for smaller games.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I'm really excited to try out codex, all the game mechanics look amazing. But my god is the art and theme the most blandly uninspired, low effort, completely loving inconsistent, copy pasted, bullshit I have ever seen.

You forgot to mention "completely uncredited", and by extension "probably plagiarised".

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Mega64 posted:

A lot of people in my gaming group including myself use this for transporting games and it's very great for that purpose. I can easily fit six regular-sized board games in there no problem at minimum and still have plenty of room for smaller games.

But $22? You must be the Marquis de Sade to spend that sort of money on such perversions when you can use by catch material from your food gathering expeditions!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Yeah, it's really generic, although I like some aspects. The spell icons and upgrade icons do look like something straight from an RTS or MOBA icon bar, although that's a weakness as much as a boon. RTS/MOBA icons are designed for easy readability at a glance at like 75x75 pixels. Sirlin's artists have an entire half a card at 300dpi to work with, and could have done more than the bare minimum.

I also like the building cards, most of which are generally at the right scale and isometric perspective to mimic buildings on a Warcraft map (with a few wonky exceptions.)

But the units are so completely phoned in. Hundreds of iterations of "bust looking quarter-right, no background" and "bust looking quarter-left, no background." And what art there is gets really constrained by the dumb swoopy frame, which eats up too much real estate and really throws off the balance of the frame. Look at how many of the looking-left units are crammed into the right side of the frame. Personally, I'd like it if the art used the same isometric-angle-against-a-map as the buildings, to really commit to the RTS aesthetic, rather than going with a sad Magic ripoff.

And the stylistic mismatch between the heroes and the units is really glaring. Partly because Sirlin is married to using his Yomi characters, and his artist(s) have no idea how to render these anantomically-improbable anime blobs in the more realistic style of the units.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
If Sirlin's games have some of the worst art you have ever seen then feast your eyes on something like Damage Report

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
The most maddening thing is how bad all the worldbuilding, or lack thereof, is. There's such a bizarre mishmash of themes and settings that none of it makes any sense and none of the flavor is compelling. Like, one of the Red heroes is a goblin or an orc or something(?) but literally no other unit in the game is and the units he has are mostly human pirates and brigands. Why isn't he just a pirate? I have absolutely no idea who would be excited about playing Blue's army of traffic cops, tax collectors, and assorted bureaucrats. Purple's wonky-rear end sci-fi units are completely out of place next to the other factions.

Any link between flavor and rules is so tenuous it hurts to think about. The ninja, spaceship, and traffic cop are all 1/1 creatures but the panda cub is a 2/2. The ninja can be detected and the spaceship can be blocked by another flyer or shot down with AA stuff; the traffic cop though, get hosed, can't stop a god drat traffic cop.

This is all aesthetic stuff and I really don't want to let it affect my opinion of the game, but drat is it hard not to. I almost want to do a re-theme of the whole game with warcraft 3 screenshots or magic card art or something, uggghhhhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Or sentinels of the multiverse. Sirlins art isn't bad it just lacks any soul or creativity at all. It's plain Jane slapped on clip art garbage.

Sirlin basically made Smash Up with better mechanics. Lol my Poodle attacked your Rhino and my Not-Zerg blocked your Not-Protoss so cool! But for real, Smash Up has better art, flavor, design, and theme.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 30, 2016