Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Pakled posted:

I don't know if he wants to, but there's a young Kennedy in the House right now who fits the bill. No idea if serving in the Senate is his ambition, but still.

If he's already serving in the house I would wager he would want to move up to the senate, plus the narrative of taking back his great uncles seat would probably play really loving well in MA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
An article on CNN about Obama's presidency and it's effect on race relations in America. The slideshow is a good group of examples of open Republican racism.

A few depressing, but interesting points were made in the article itself.

quote:

Fenise Dunson was a career adviser at an Illinois college in 2008 when some of her white coworkers started warning her about Obama's first presidential run. "We won't let this happen," they said. Or, after he was elected: "He might be president, but you're not in control."

"You don't know where this is coming from," says Dunson, who now teaches at a college in Maryland. She wondered whether "people had been politically correct and they had really been feeling this way for a long time and now they feel like they can be vocal about how they feel?

Bolding mine; I feel this is important given the mass backlash from Trump and his movement against "Being PC."

quote:

Google "Obama racism" and you'll see images of Obama being lynched or labeled "Primate in Chief." Michelle Obama was recently depicted by one cartoonist with a penis bulge under her skirt. These are images straight out of America's slave era. And many are not tucked away in ugly corners of the Internet. They are publicly displayed at political rallies and in front of homes.

Open displays of racism have become normal again, some say. More Americans are comfortable publicly expressing racially inflammatory rhetoric, according to some political scientists. Some blacks have noticed. They say they feel like they've been caught in a time warp. They're constantly seeing images and hearing racist language that they thought were relics.

"I thought that all of this nastiness had been litigated and fought by my parents and grandparents," says Richardson-Hall, also a food blogger. "Imagine my surprise, looking at this square in the face."

quote:

Some now wonder if there is room for them in America's future. Coleman, who works at the Oklahoma nonprofit, says it seemed like the nation had turned a corner when Obama was elected. Now she wonders if that corner led to a dead end.

"I'm a spiritual person. I believe in God. But I don't know if we'll ever see the racial harmony that King talked about," she says. "Sometimes I just feel like we'll never get there."

That tragic sentiment runs through American history. Racism has been called the nation's "original sin," the "American dilemma." The country fought its bloodiest war over race; its ugliest chapters revolve around race. Its founding documents enshrine equality, while much of its history contradicts those values. Perhaps that is why the late Rev. Vincent Harding, an adviser to King, described America as an idea, not a reality.

"The United States of America is a work in progress -- a shadow on the wall of a multiracial, compassionate democracy that does not yet exist," he once wrote.

quote:

Obama has a more optimistic vision of America. Last year he defined American exceptionalism in one of his most memorable speeches, which commemorated the 50th anniversary of the Selma civil rights campaign. He said that "we do a disservice to the cause of justice by intimating that bias and discrimination are immutable, or that racial division is inherent to America."

"We respect the past, but we don't pine for the past," Obama said. "We don't fear the future; we grab for it. America is not some fragile thing."

Obama will soon be gone from office. Will his successor inspire black Americans to recover some of the optimism they lost during the Obama years?

Or will the promise of a compassionate, multiracial democracy that Obama embodies seem like a lie?

I fear that they're right. That the quiet between the 90's and 2008 was just people being "polite," and now we're seeing what America really is once Obama got too "uppity," to quote sitting congressman Lynn Westmoreland.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm actually beginning to believe there will be a congressional investigation into the Lynch/Clinton plane meeting. The media is discussing the optics rather than what was said, so that'll give Republicans free reign to play the "if you have nothing to hide..." card.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Pakled posted:

I don't know if he wants to, but there's a young Kennedy in the House right now who fits the bill. No idea if serving in the Senate is his ambition, but still.

He sure as hell has the Kennedy family look.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm actually beginning to believe there will be a congressional investigation into the Lynch/Clinton plane meeting. The media is discussing the optics rather than what was said, so that'll give Republicans free reign to play the "if you have nothing to hide..." card.

I for one will be shocked if republicans use a congressional investigation to harass a Clinton in an effort to discredit their name in politics.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

I for one will be shocked if republicans use a congressional investigation to harass a Clinton in an effort to discredit their name in politics.

And the plane meeting is "proof" the fix is in on emailghazi, Lynch was demanding her payout for protecting their email crimes.

You can't convict a husband and wife for the same crime!!!

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Transgender are gonna be allowed in the military

Yikes. Good on you if you're secure in your current status (I'm sure as hell not) enough to perform the duties of a soldier/sailor/airman, but I straight up fear for your safety in the military.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Does being a Kennedy even have value anymore?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Talmonis posted:

Yikes. Good on you if you're secure in your current status (I'm sure as hell not) enough to perform the duties of a soldier/sailor/airman, but I straight up fear for your safety in the military.

I served with one gay guy who everyone knew was gay but he came out after DADT was repealed and no one had issues. He wasn't a human being he just hosed dudes.

A new kid came to our unit and was flamboyant as gently caress as annoying and constantly reminding how how gay he was and everyone hated him including the gay guy.

I think it'll be a similar situation with transgendered people.

(I realize now that thinking was wrong I'm just saying how it was)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

zoux posted:

Greedy, arrogant Obama not content with a modest Presidential Library!!
https://twitter.com/ObamaFoundation/status/748566181213179904

Is the US like Stellaris where every ruler gets to build one super-big building with their name on it?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Arrgytehpirate posted:

He wasn't a human being he just hosed dudes.

So can you not do this?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Gort posted:

Is the US like Stellaris where every ruler gets to build one super-big building with their name on it?

It's traditional that presidents have a library, either standalone or associated with a university, that houses their papers and records. JFK's is at UMass Boston, for example, and GWB's is at... I wanna say SMU or TCU.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

So can you not do this.

Sorry I thought the disclaimer would cover it. Those were his words. Didn't mean to offend

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SedanChair posted:

Does being a Kennedy even have value anymore?

In MA? Yes. Dear god yes.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Yeah. I'd say Kennedy is likely the front runner for the open seat right now, with Moulton taking the next one. But still, keep an eye out for Wu and Pressley. They could end up going far.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Teddybear posted:

It's traditional that presidents have a library, either standalone or associated with a university, that houses their papers and records. JFK's is at UMass Boston, for example, and GWB's is at... I wanna say SMU or TCU.

Sounds better than that other tradition where you pardon a bunch of your criminal mates on your way out. Does that lead to as many people willing to commit crimes for the president as it sounds like it would?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

He wasn't a human being he just hosed dudes.

DUDE!! Come on now! That is not cool.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

You can't convict a husband and wife for the same crime!!!

I've got the worst f***ing attorneys

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

hangedman1984 posted:

oh don't be baby, he was clearly quoting someone and providing the military viewpoint on the matter

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

hangedman1984 posted:

Do you guys not get that this was the perspective of his squadmates

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So the Giant Meteor almost having enough support to appear at the debate reminded me of this story from 2008:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=98272423

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

SedanChair posted:

It was actually some gay dude said. It never happened until flamboyant gay dude showed up though so maybe he was trying to distance himself?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

It's also the oldest tradition of bigots slowly warming to groups previously otherized:

"Wow, he's not one of them wops, he just likes his mom and spicy food a lot!"

"Wow, he's not one of them spics, he just likes his mom and spicy food a lot!"

It's an "easy" way to say "wow, my stereotypes of an demeaned and otherized group doesn't match reality because my worldview is very bigoted but I don't realize it yet"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm not gay, I just do the one thing that makes you gay, not like wear a frilly apron or something

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

It's also the oldest tradition of bigots slowly warming to groups previously otherized:

It's an "easy" way to say "wow, my stereotypes of an demeaned and otherized group doesn't match reality because my worldview is very bigoted but I don't realize it yet"

Warming is good though. Progess is good.

SedanChair posted:

I'm not gay, I just do the one thing that makes you gay, not like wear a frilly apron or something

For a lot of people, it's the flamboyance and "odd" mannerisms that weird them out more than actual homosexuality.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

I'm in NC and got polled recently and I didn't have that third option :mad:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Talmonis posted:

For a lot of people, it's the flamboyance and "odd" mannerisms that weird them out more than actual homosexuality.

Thats about as thinly veiled excuse as saying 'I like the Jews, but spoken Hebrew gives me the willies.'

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

You can't be gay, you haven't given fashion advice to the thread recently!

Talmonis posted:

Warming is good though. Progess is good.

Oh totally, but it's one of those things where the person is still holding an otherized view of some of the people they are bigoted against.

So while progress, I can imagine how nerve wracking that poo poo gets when you're afraid the person is going to go "white guy quoting Chris Rock" on your rear end, and keep denying humanity to swaths of people while saying "oh but you're one of the good ones." But being able to be a "good one" is still progress as sad as that can seem.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

LeJackal posted:

Thats about as thinly veiled excuse as saying 'I like the Jews, but spoken Hebrew gives me the willies.'

Flamboyant mannerisms are not endemic to gayness.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CannonFodder posted:

I'm in NC and got polled recently and I didn't have that third option :mad:

Should have reminded the pollster that you were going to vote for Deez Nuts in the presidential

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

LeJackal posted:

Only if you're implying that to be "properly" gay, you have to speak with a lisp, flap your wrists and be an attention whore.

That's stupid.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Talmonis posted:

Only if you're implying that to be "properly" gay, you have to speak with a lisp, flap your wrists and be an attention whore.

That's stupid.

Are you trying to imply one has to speak Hebrew openly to be "properly" Jewish? :v:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Trabisnikof posted:

Must really suck for otherized groups who don't generally like spicy food. Guess that's why it took so long for the Irish to be accepted.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

A Winner is Jew posted:

They won't harass Bill because apparently he still scares them shitless.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They won't harass Bill because apparently he still scares them shitless.

Of course he does, he's black!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Are you trying to imply one has to speak Hebrew openly to be "properly" Jewish? :v:

I mean, in prayers at a minimum, yeah, you do. (For religious aspects of Judaism.)

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Well I mean, that's why I added the quotes...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Talmonis posted:

Well I mean, that's why I added the quotes...

You're supposed to add ((())), cmon.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
In other news, the Navy released a report calling the sailors who were captured by the Iranian military later released a bunch of big babies and everyone involved were stupid, also Iran violated international laws and made the US look dumb which of course would evoke no reaction at all from the US.

I'm pretty sure my quick take is spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

In other news, the Navy released a report calling the sailors who were captured by the Iranian military later released a bunch of big babies and everyone involved were stupid, also Iran violated international laws and made the US look dumb which of course would evoke no reaction at all from the US.

I'm pretty sure my quick take is spot on.

Can you speak in actual english and maybe link us to the report?

• Locked thread