Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

Could someone please explain to my ignorant american brain who Theresa May is and why she’s terrible?

James May's wife. An avid car fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I want to see a world where the candidates are selected for their achievements, intelligence and knowledge of political issues with no other qualifier and no parties.

We've created a world where our leaders spent most of their time trying to be our leaders, or hold onto being our leaders, than ever loving leading us. You only see Obama act kind of cool in the last year or so when it comes down to "gently caress it, what are you going to do, not re-elect me?"

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Could someone please explain to my ignorant american brain who Theresa May is and why she’s terrible?

Here:

http://time.com/4386934/theresa-may-boris-johnson-leader-conservative-party/

quote:

After university, May took roles in the Bank of England and the Association for Payment Clearing Services before being elected as MP for Maidenhead in 1997.

quote:

She has courted controversy in her tenure at the Home Office. She supported the use of the Terrorism Act to detain journalist Glenn Greenwald’s partner David Miranda and was blamed for a ‘passport fiasco’ in 2014, where a large backlog in processing new passport applications hit the hundreds of thousands.

Her latest act was to table an investigatory powers bill, also known as the Snoopers’ Charter, that will give British security agencies new surveillance powers to track citizens’ use of the Internet— to the horror of human rights groups and the privacy chief of the United Nations.

The regular churchgoer is married without children and described as a liberal Conservative who is supportive of gender equality and backer of gay marriage (although she voted against gay adoption rights in 2002).

This is downplaying how outrageously terrible the "Snooper's Charter" was. In general she's strongly in favor of any shitheaded authoritarian measure you care to name (and UK politicians come up with a lot of shitheaded authoritarian proposals).

LGD fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 30, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Idk that sounds perfect for the UK to me, didn't Cameron say not too long ago that 'law abiding UK citizens should not expect to have privacy from the government' or some such?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Boomstick Quaid posted:

I don't think finance capitalists are very "leftist"

lol

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
If you think big capital is leftist then I think that def might be the source of a lot of your misunderstandings?

I like big capital most of the time but lol I ain't no leftist.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Brannock posted:

Why Elections are Bad for Democracy

Greenwald has been on an absolute tear the last couple days pointing out how the Guardian and the BBC are constantly skewing their reports and shaping the narrative I highly recommend following him on twitter

Jesus, someone actually considering democracy bad and trying to make the idea palatable.

Why isn't there any outrage about this ? If Trump wrote something like that lol

The Enlightened Elites guiding the Commoners. Just bring back the Peer system then

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
glummy mummy

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Brannock posted:

Literal leftist authoritarianism is emerging all around, they're panicked and forgetting that they have to actually hide this poo poo

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/748114409545932800

Also

Greenwald has been on an absolute tear the last couple days pointing out how the Guardian and the BBC are constantly skewing their reports and shaping the narrative I highly recommend following him on twitter

everybody should also read The Intercept every day because it's doing the best work in journalism right now

Boomstick Quaid posted:

tell that to Hillary Clinton's enthusiastic supporters, to them nothing is more progressive than taking millions of dollars from Wall Street and being endorsed by people like Charles Koch and Hank Paulson

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Blazing Ownager posted:

I want to see a world where the candidates are selected for their achievements, intelligence and knowledge of political issues with no other qualifier and no parties.

We've created a world where our leaders spent most of their time trying to be our leaders, or hold onto being our leaders, than ever loving leading us. You only see Obama act kind of cool in the last year or so when it comes down to "gently caress it, what are you going to do, not re-elect me?"

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lichy posted:

capitalism is bad you see until the workers rally against it then it's instantly good and the workers are morons
I agree, it's good that the lower orders can speak out, but only when their opinions have absolutely no bearing on what happens anywhere but their dreary post-industrial towns they can't afford to leave.

Theresa May is the long-standing Home Secretary (in fact she is the longest-standing Home Sec since R. A. Cross in the 19th century!) which I guess is like a combined leader of the DoJ, Homeland Security, and a bunch of other similar stuff in the US.

She's more or less in charge of the police, some spies, the courts, immigration, and some other things I've no doubt forgotten.

She's kind of a fascist, but then everyone with that job is turned into one within like 2 days tops (see Jacqui Smith in Labour's last government) so I dunno if it's her fault. Maybe they just pick the fascists for it, mind.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Decebal posted:

Jesus, someone actually considering democracy bad and trying to make the idea palatable.

The Enlightened Elites guiding the Commoners. Just bring back the Peer system then

A lot of Bernie Sanders fans made/are making similar arguments in the US, although like to be fair they have a point, the current election system is poo poo and leads to the most popular candidate winning instead of the best one.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Lol someone isn't paying attention.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Blazing Ownager posted:

- Every bitch idiot confucian ever, without understanding that judging along specific lines like that just results in people trained to think a certain way that is not necessarily actually effective but is helpfully self-sustaining for people on exam boards.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ranbo das posted:

A lot of Bernie Sanders fans made/are making similar arguments in the US, although like to be fair they have a point, the current election system is poo poo and leads to the most popular candidate winning instead of the best one.
Nobody thinks Hillary is personable and she still saw off Sanders, how do they answer that particular conundrum?

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

ranbo das posted:

For sure money has a too big an impact on who wins. But how can that be changed ? No TV channel will run an add for free.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

jBrereton posted:

results in people trained to think a certain way that is not necessarily actually effective but is helpfully self-sustaining for people on exam boards.

Which is actually a huge problem in China today iirc.

Decebal posted:

For sure money has a too big an impact on who wins. But how can that be changed ? No TV channel will run an add for free.

This is gonna be flawed because it's just off the top of my head but: all donations for a particular race go into a general fund which is then equally distributed among the candidates. Goldman Sachs can't just give Hillary $X, but they can donate $X to the presidential race fund which then funds equal air time for all serious candidates. You'd have to figure out who qualifies as a serious candidate and make sure that isn't prone to fuckery of course.

Each candidate can choose how to spend their allotment on their own, but they better use it well rather than just spam ads to overrun the competition because the competition has the same amount of money.

e: oh and make it illegal to offer different candidates different pricing; IE Fox can't give Trump prime time air for $1/minute and charge the Dems $100k/minute (dunno if they do just assuming it would happen).

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 30, 2016

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

jBrereton posted:

Nobody thinks Hillary is personable and she still saw off Sanders, how do they answer that particular conundrum?

I dunno but the one guy who is a real hardcore sanders fan on my facebook is posting about attending the gathering of the juggalos so maybe mental illness?

Decebal posted:

You'd have to like cap donations or something but we all know that'll never happen so vov.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Brannock posted:

Literal leftist authoritarianism is emerging all around, they're panicked and forgetting that they have to actually hide this poo poo

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/748114409545932800

Also

Democracy has had it's turn. It's corporate fuedalism's time to shine.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
The only real question is which corporation should we pledge our allegiance to? Apple seems to be stumbling lately but they'll probably have super fancy passports.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I pledge my life and my sword to google. May my children and children's children keep true to my vow.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Blazing Ownager posted:

It sounds great until you realize that achievements don't always translate to ability in a different subject, intelligence is hard to measure, and knowledge of political issues often includes things we later find out were totally loving wrong.

Kissenger is a good example of someone that everyone at the time believed had all those things. Turned out made the vietnam war from a set of wrong assumptions and bad intelligence second only to Iraq 2.

edit: basically everyone is loving stupid and democracy is good mostly because it collectivizes the blame for our mistakes

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Roylicious posted:

The only real question is which corporation should we pledge our allegiance to? Apple seems to be stumbling lately but they'll probably have super fancy passports.

How is this even a question? Something Awful LLC of course!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Decebal posted:

You obviously didn't read the whole long, rambling essay, he actually wants the opposite of a Peerage. His point isn't that we should trust politicians, about 3/4 of the way through he finally gets to the point: he's advocating sortition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sortition

Have a representative random sample of the population join a committee to hash out a particular issue. With or without normally elected representatives also being on the committee. Experts and interested parties make their presentations so the average people in the committee can learn what they need to know to make informed decisions. That way the proposal of the committee should broadly represent the will of the people, if the people had bothered to really learn about the issue.

quote:

What kind of democracy is appropriate to an era of fast, decentralised communication? How should the government deal with all those articulate citizens who stand shouting from the sidelines?

Imagine having to develop a system today that would express the will of the people. Would it really be a good idea to have them all queue up at polling stations every four or five years with a bit of card in their hands and go into a dark booth to put a mark next to names on a list, names of people about whom restless reporting had been going on for months in a commercial environment that profits from restlessness?

People care deeply about their communities and want to be heard. But a much better way to let the people speak than through a referendum is to return to the central principle of Athenian democracy: drafting by lot, or sortition as it is presently called. In ancient Athens, the large majority of public functions were assigned by lot. Renaissance states such as Venice and Florence worked on the same basis and experienced centuries of political stability. With sortition, you do not ask everyone to vote on an issue few people really understand, but you draft a random sample of the population and make sure they come to the grips with the subject matter in order to take a sensible decision. A cross-section of society that is informed can act more coherently than an entire society that is uninformed.

Experiments with sortition have been successfully applied in the US, Australia, and the Netherlands. The most innovative country so far is certainly Ireland. In December 2012, a constitutional convention began work in order to revise several articles of the constitution of Ireland. Its members were not just a committee of MPs working behind closed doors, but a mixture of elected politicians and ordinary people: 33 elected politicians and 66 citizens, drafted by lot, from both Ireland and Northern Ireland. This group met one weekend per month for more than a year.

An independent research bureau put together the random group of 66 citizens, taking account of age, sex and place of birth. The diversity this produced was helpful when it came to discussing such subjects as same-sex marriage, the rights of women or the ban on blasphemy in the current constitution. However, they did not do all this alone: participants listened to experts and received input from other citizens (more than a thousand contributions came in on the subject of gay marriage). The decisions made by the convention did not have the force of law; the recommendations first had to be passed by the two chambers of the Irish parliament, then by the government and then in a referendum.

By talking to a diverse cross-section of Irish society, politicians could get further than they could have by just talking to each other. By exchanging views with elected officials, citizens could give much more relevant input than they could have in an election or a referendum.

What if this procedure had been applied in the UK last week? What if a random sample of citizens had a chance to learn from experts, listen to proposals, talk to each other and engage with politicians? What if a mixed group of elected and drafted citizens had thought the matter through? What if the rest of society could have had a chance to follow and contribute to their deliberations? What if the proposal this group would have come up with had been subjected to public scrutiny? Do we think a similarly reckless decision would have been taken?

Sortition could provide a remedy to the democratic fatigue syndrome that we see everywhere today. The drawing of lots is not a miracle cure any more than elections ever were, but it can help correct a number of the faults in the current system. The risk of corruption is reduced, election fever abates and attention to the common good increases. Voting on the basis of gut feeling is replaced by sensible deliberation, as those who have been drafted are exposed to expert opinion, objective information and public debate. Citizens chosen by lot may not have the expertise of professional politicians, but they add something vital to the process: freedom. After all, they don’t need to be elected or re-elected.

Juries for criminal trials that are chosen by lot prove that people generally take their task extremely seriously. The fear of a chamber that behaves recklessly or irresponsibly is unfounded. If we agree that 12 people can decide in good faith about the freedom or imprisonment of a fellow citizen, then we can be confident that a number of them can and will serve the interests of the community in a responsible manner.

If many countries rely on the principle of sortition in the criminal justice system, why not rely on it in the legislative system? We already use a lottery like this every day, but we use it in the worst possible form: public opinion polling. As the American political scientist James Fishkin famously remarked: “In a poll, we ask people what they think when they don’t think. It would be more interesting to ask what they think after they had a chance to think.”

Democracy is not, by definition, government by the best, elected or not. It flourishes precisely by allowing a diversity of voices to be heard. It is all about having an equal say, an equal right to determine what political action is taken.

In order to keep democracy alive, we will have to learn that democracy cannot be reduced to voting alone. Elections and referendums become dangerously outmoded tools if they are not enriched with more sensible forms of citizens’ participation. Structured deliberation with a random sample of citizens promises to generate a more vital, dynamic and inclusive form of democracy. In Utrecht, the fourth city of the Netherlands, the city council now drafts by lot 150 citizens to co-create its sustainable energy plan. These processes may become a permanent feature of any modern democracy.

The most common argument against sortition is the supposed incompetence of the those who have not been elected. A body of elected representatives undoubtedly has more technical competencies than a body chosen by lot. But what is the use of a parliament full of highly educated lawyers if few of them know the price of bread?

Besides, the elected do not know everything. They need staff and researchers to fill the gaps in their expertise. In much the same way, a representative body chosen by lot would not stand alone. It could invite experts, rely on professionals to moderate debates and put questions to citizens. Legislation could arise from the interaction between it and an elected chamber.

The arguments put forward against sortition are often identical to the reasons once put forward for not allowing peasants, workers or women to vote. Then, too, opponents claimed it would mark the end of democracy. Do we think Brexit might still have been possible if citizens had been truly invited to express their grievances and search for solutions together with those they had voted for?

If David Cameron had opted for the genuine participation of citizens, he would have obtained a much clearer view of what people really wanted, a powerful list of shared priorities, an agenda for further negotiations, and created much less distrust between the masses and the ruling class. On top of that, he would have gained global admiration for daring to tackle a complex challenge by an innovative process that values people’s voices instead of counting their votes. He could have set a new standard for democracy, rather than serving as its gravedigger.

Not sure why they buried the lead with 30,000 words about how elections suck before getting to the point.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Roylicious posted:

Which is actually a huge problem in China today iirc.
It's a problem literally everywhere because a lot of teachers have only ever been teachers and they train people (by accident or on purpose) to be like them.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I know no king but the King in the West, whose name is Google

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
I swear an oath of vassalage to Coca Cola. death to pepsi!

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

City of Tampa posted:

tell that to Hillary Clinton's enthusiastic supporters, to them nothing is more progressive than taking millions of dollars from Wall Street and being endorsed by people like Charles Koch and Hank Paulson
yes because that IS what the progressives are all about and have always been about. they're center-left and vocally proud of it.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
You can actually force broadcasters to play political ads for free by recognizing that the airwaves are a public good and then making a law that charges businesses rent to broadcast over them and then waives the fees if they broadcast political ads. This is hard to do in practice because television channels would not want the lawmakers that would accomplish this to get elected

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Prettz posted:

yes because that IS what the progressives are all about and have always been about. they're center-left and vocally proud of it.

that's liberals, progressives are supposed to be more working-class oriented

but actually none of these terms mean much anymore because they have become labels that finance capitalists and the bourgeois use to get the rubes to keep them in power

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Jose Mengelez posted:

I swear an oath of vassalage to Coca Cola. death to pepsi!

MY LIFE FOR PEPSI

WE SHALL WAGE ENDLESS JIHAD AGAINST THIS CARBONATED SOUTHERN SWILL

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
looks like the chilled war is getting lukewarm

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Boomstick Quaid posted:

You can actually force broadcasters to play political ads for free by recognizing that the airwaves are a public good and then making a law that charges businesses rent to broadcast over them and then waives the fees if they broadcast political ads. This is hard to do in practice because television channels would not want the lawmakers that would accomplish this to get elected

Sorry but nationalizing non-rivalrous public resources like that to prevent private organizations from extracting rent from them is called socialism, friend.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

City of Tampa posted:

that's liberals, progressives are supposed to be more working-class oriented

but actually none of these terms mean much anymore because they have become labels that finance capitalists and the bourgeois use to get the rubes to keep them in power
no, you're just mixed up.

edit: if someone says they're "a progressive", you should be suspicious.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Facebook Aunt posted:

You obviously didn't read the whole long, rambling essay

Can't blame him

Facebook Aunt posted:

His point isn't that we should trust politicians, about 3/4 of the way through he finally gets to the point: he's advocating sortition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sortition

Have a representative random sample of the population join a committee to hash out a particular issue. With or without normally elected representatives also being on the committee. Experts and interested parties make their presentations so the average people in the committee can learn what they need to know to make informed decisions. That way the proposal of the committee should broadly represent the will of the people, if the people had bothered to really learn about the issue.

Not sure why they buried the lead with 30,000 words about how elections suck before getting to the point.

This sounds a lot like judicial selection, what stops it from having all the same problems as judicial selection?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
It only took 4 days for The Daily Show and Stephen Colbert to cover the Brexit results (because Trump is an incredibly easy target for liberals and democrats to mock on a daily basis), anyways here they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNsxCU0glHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRAU6hODSck

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 30, 2016

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
im a progressive sjw lol

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

This is the worst ive ever seen the regressive LEFT. They know full-well the EU is anti-democratic, and they like it. Because they are anti-democratic. There were a WAVE of articles non-stop spammed to us Australians by our taxpayer-funded ABC and SBS news providers arguing that 'the votes of old people should be worth less' in the wake of Brexit. That Brexit will damage our relations with the UK because of 'their damaged link to the EU'. They are arguing that some people are worth less than others purely on a demographic. Millenials were too lazy to get off their entitled asses to VOTE, while 'old people' WERE. And that is reason enough to protest AGAINST DEMOCRACY.
I'm a Millenial, I'm from Australia, and I am appalled that these whiny #remainer cunts DARE advocate the destruction of literally everything the previous generations fought and died to establish, advocating the idea that these previous generations are worth LESS as PEOPLE...Again, this is the regressive left at the worst i've ever seen it. 24:50 onward. nuff said.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Everything come play PredictIt. :) Bet on elections!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3737765

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

• Locked thread