Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
UKIP member of the house of lords implies we should use EU citizens living in the UK as hostages

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/30/ukip-lord-calls-for-eu-nationals-to-be-used-as-hostages-in-brussels-discussions-5975655/

Edit: On this day in 1775, the Continental Congress drafts its rationale for taking up arms against Great Britain in the Articles of War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I saw "Corbyn ISIS Israel" and figured it was a large amount of elderly shoemakers, but only in the sense that his words were twisted around to mean something else. Was it actually whole cloth bullshit?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

SUNKOS posted:

How the gently caress has Gove got away with this unscathed?

Because Boris is out of the running so it is safe to dogpile him. Gove might actually have power in future.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

PST posted:

UKIP member of the house of lords implies we should use EU citizens living in the UK as hostages

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/30/ukip-lord-calls-for-eu-nationals-to-be-used-as-hostages-in-brussels-discussions-5975655/

Maybe concentrate them in camps to make sure they can't do any harm and don't come to any.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Wakko posted:

Is it incredible to anybody else about how people in the UK are still racist against the Polish? Is it just a well understood thing there? As an american, I keep seeing articles about polish hate crimes and envisioning Malory Archer.

Recent immigrants make easy targets for racial hatred, especially during times of economic austerity. I feel like there was some pretty strong anti-Polish racism during the waves of immigration to the US in the last century.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

PST posted:

Edit: On this day in 1775, the Continental Congress drafts its rationale for taking up arms against Great Britain in the Articles of War.

Wh... what day is 555? :psyduck:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SUNKOS posted:

How the gently caress has Gove got away with this unscathed?
How the gently caress has Gove got away with anything unscathed?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Antti posted:

I saw "Corbyn ISIS Israel" and figured it was a large amount of elderly shoemakers, but only in the sense that his words were twisted around to mean something else. Was it actually whole cloth bullshit?

They misquoted him. And by misquote I don't mean they took a sentence or two out of context, I mean they removed several words from a sentence to entirely change the meaning.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Antti posted:

yes. libelous.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Guavanaut posted:

How the gently caress has Gove got away with anything unscathed?

Dude you've seen the clapping video, nobody wants to mess with that, God alone knows what Gove really is and what it can do.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Antti posted:

he quoted a section of a report he didn't write which said that people shouldn't be judged by the actions unconnected organisations take in the name of their religion

fuckin nazi

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Polish people are more attractive than your average brit and work more for less pay, this is why they are disliked by our own native untermensh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mister Adequate posted:

Wh... what day is 555? :psyduck:
It's a common timer chip that you can do fun things with. It's also how Thai people laugh online.

(I assume they meant today though, June 30th)

e:

Mister Adequate posted:

Dude you've seen the clapping video, nobody wants to mess with that, God alone knows what Gove really is and what it can do.
Dip a hot copper wire in a sample of his blood.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

In ALAB fashion, I'm being hosed over for trying to get out of my rental contract in London 2 months early.

They've asked for:

Checkout: £186
Deposit protection: £102
AST(?) agreement: £132
Inventory: £156
Management fee: £563.34

On top of all the rent until the new tenant moves in.

What do these things even mean?! :(

Seems like I'm stuck, bugger.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Antti posted:

Imagine you said "I care for Boris Johnson's antics very little." and people started tweeting it with the last three words missing.

It was basically that.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

XMNN posted:

he quoted a section of a report he didn't write which said that people shouldn't be judged by the actions unconnected organisations take in the name of their religion

fuckin nazi

If only Corbyn would stop loving himself with all these things he didn't even say!

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Friendly Humour posted:

What I'm curious for is if the Commission has the balls to consider the date of the referendum as invoking Article 50 if UK starts vacillating as a negotiation tactic.

It isn't.

According to various legal experts who have been looking at how article 50 can be invoked in the UK, it can only be invoked by a new act of Parliament, due to the 1972 European Communities Act - i.e. its a constitutional change which modifies / annuls an existing act so is not at the whim of a PM it has to be approved by both Houses of Parliament. There is a good BBC article explaining all the ins and outs on the legal aspects of leaving the EU. Was reading the conservatives 2015 manifesto and due to the way that is worded they should have enough lea way to pass an act of Parliament invoking article 50 without needing a new general election - would also mean the House of Lords probably can't block it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Convexed posted:

In ALAB fashion, I'm being hosed over for trying to get out of my rental contract in London 2 months early.

They've asked for:

Are any of these things mentioned in your tenancy agreement? Why are you being charged for inventory unless they're having to replace something? Your deposit should have been placed in a national scheme, there's no way they can charge you for protecting it.

You're getting hosed mate, get to an advice centre and screw them back.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

namesake posted:

Are any of these things mentioned in your tenancy agreement? Why are you being charged for inventory unless they're having to replace something? Your deposit should have been placed in a national scheme, there's no way they can charge you for protecting it.

Depends on what's in the contract, in mine I have to pay for inventory and checkout too (although they pay the moving in fees), plus a new agreement to get out early.

It sounds plausible, the worst part is that there's gently caress all you can do about it. What, are you going to find a better landlord when there's nothing else around, and 7 people on the waiting list?

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

namesake posted:

I guess there's some hope. I'll read my agreement and look into advice. Thanks!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Convexed posted:

They've asked for:

Talk to Shelter. Shelter are great.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Flatscan posted:

They misquoted him. And by misquote I don't mean they took a sentence or two out of context, I mean they removed several words from a sentence to entirely change the meaning.

The filthy Blairite media attempted to destroy are Jezza by taping him saying words coming out of his mouth and then wrote down those words, the bastards.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-a7110931.html

Alternate theory: The Blairites have created a Corbyn android and taught it to say "Our Jewish friends are no more responsible for the actions of Israel or the Netanyahu government than our Muslim friends are for those of various self-styled Islamic states or organisations", which you can very clear the Cor-bot say in the above video.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Desiderata posted:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

I'm going to reiterate my request that this be the OP for next month's UKMT.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So what he's saying is that Jews and Muslims are both ok?

Ok.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Steve2911 posted:

So what he's saying is that Jews and Muslims are both ok?

Ok.

An unpopular opinion in post Brexit Britain

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tigey posted:

An unpopular opinion in post Brexit Britain

And pre-Brexit Britain, where we live

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

The Insect Court posted:

The filthy Blairite media attempted to destroy are Jezza by taping him saying words coming out of his mouth and then wrote down those words, the bastards.

Alternate theory: The Blairites have created a Corbyn android and taught it to say "Our Jewish friends are no more responsible for the actions of Israel or the Netanyahu government than our Muslim friends are for those of various self-styled Islamic states or organisations", which you can very clear the Cor-bot say in the above video.

Just because it's becoming a bit tedious, we aren't terribly attached to Corbyn, it's not a dear leader thing, it's a left wing policies being allowed in the left wing party thing. If Abbott or McDonnell were replacing him that would be grand. The personal attacks against him won't land at all.

And there's nothing even slightly anti-semitic about the statement.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Vitamin P posted:

Just because it's becoming a bit tedious, we aren't terribly attached to Corbyn, it's not a dear leader thing, it's a left wing policies being allowed in the left wing party thing. If Abbott or McDonnell were replacing him that would be grand. The personal attacks against him won't land at all.

And there's nothing even slightly anti-semitic about the statement.

I don't think so, actually. It would prove that the utterly despicable behaviour we've seen from the PLP is effective and should be rewarded. It isn't, and it shouldn't be.

Edit: I agree with the rest of the quoted statement wholeheartedly.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Vitamin P posted:

If Abbott or McDonnell were replacing him that would be grand.

Christ no

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

The Insect Court posted:

quote:

The Insect Court
Jun 30, 2016 10:19 Reg Date: Nov 21, 2012
I INTENTIONALLY MISREPRESENT OTHER PEOPLE'S ARGUMENTS AND STRAWMAN LIKE IT'S GOING OUT OF STYLE, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ENGAGE ME AND MY DUMB loving OPINIONS

checks out yeah

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

So what country are you guys going to pretend to be from next time you're on holiday?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Gort posted:

So what country are you guys going to pretend to be from next time you're on holiday?

With Sterling on the slide who can take a foreign holiday anymore?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gort posted:

lol we won't be able to afford holidays.

e: Beaten like the economy.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'm sure I can cross the Irish Sea in a people-smuggling boat

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Imagine if the first name on that list was somebody who could command the respect of their MPs.

Who the gently caress wants these oval office's respect?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Gort posted:

"Oh jaysus and begorrah, it's terrible what those English fellahs are up to now. A pint of Guiness, that'd be grand!"

*Whispers* 'By God Fink-Nottle, I think they're buying it'.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 30, 2016

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
I'm not a big fan of Corby as a leader (frankly he's too drat nice and unwilling to put the boot in) but everyone I know think this attempted coup is disgraceful and utterly counter productive. Including people very far away from being swp.

So, if we were with wto we might be looking at 10 million job losses. Why is this not front page news?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Gort posted:

I'd actually booked a holiday to Amsterdam before the collapse of civilization and I'm kind of dreading it now. Going to make my very Scottish husband do all the talking in the hope that they like Scottish people enough to excuse me.

And to think, this time last week we had no idea what was just round the corner.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Would anyone be able to give me a couple of instances where Corbyn has campaigned against racism and antisemitism in the past? I have a friend accusing him of antisemitic behaviour on Facebook with the whole ISIS thing which I do think is misinterpreted, but to be honest from what I can see from the Livingstone scandal that if it's not damning, it's at least discouraging. I don't really know enough about Livingstone to make a judgement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pissflaps posted:

I'm not offended by it, I'm not Israeli.

Who and what Corbyn was referring to has already been clarified. I've posted it in this thread. He was not referring to Iran.

A bit far back, but for the record I am Israeli and I'm not offended by it nor do I think Corbyn is an anti-Semite because not all Israelis are idiots. Way to be an anti-Semite, 'flaps.

• Locked thread