Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
If God isn't real then what happens when we die? Do we just become ghosts that have nowhere to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Fansy posted:

If God isn't real then what happens when we die? Do we just become ghosts that have nowhere to go?

I believe in God but I don't see any reason to suppose she made more than one world. This is it, make the most of it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Who What Now posted:

Ok, so what's your point, that God could lie? Ok, now we have a god that's a liar as well as evil.

My point is that God can know your thoughts and my thoughts, thereby having insights that we lack, which forms the core of the mysterious ways argument.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Keeshhound posted:

My point is that God can know your thoughts and my thoughts, thereby having insights that we lack, which forms the core of the mysterious ways argument.

So? I can know your thoughts as well, you just need to tell me and not lie. Likewise God just needs to explain those insights for me to understand. There's still no good reason to assume I'm incapable of understanding.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Keeshhound posted:

Bullshit, the core of the mysterious ways argument is special pleading.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Fansy posted:

How luxurious to imagine your consciousness will be preserved, instead of being dissipated like smoke.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Matt dilihunty on YouTube is the only internet atheist I can tolerate and it's because he concentrates on logical arguments instead of smugness. He was also a pastor for many years so has an empathetic approach. I encourage Christians with that sneaky sense of doubt in them to check him out. Namaste.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lampsacus posted:

Matt dilihunty on YouTube is the only internet atheist I can tolerate and it's because he concentrates on logical arguments instead of smugness. He was also a pastor for many years so has an empathetic approach. I encourage Christians with that sneaky sense of doubt in them to check him out. Namaste.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Who What Now posted:

So? I can know your thoughts as well, you just need to tell me and not lie. Likewise God just needs to explain those insights for me to understand. There's still no good reason to assume I'm incapable of understanding.

I'm trying to do this piecemeal so we can work out the specific places where we disagree. Do you deny that it is possible for an oniscient being to have knowledge that we are not capable of obtaining on our own?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Keeshhound posted:

I'm trying to do this piecemeal so we can work out the specific places where we disagree. Do you deny that it is possible for an oniscient being to have knowledge that we are not capable of obtaining on our own?

Even if there was, why would an omnipotent being then be unable to communicate that knowledge in a way that we could understand, even if we could not have originally obtained it on our own?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Lampsacus posted:

He seems as smug as the rest, which is especially lacking in self-awareness since it apparently took him decades to get there.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Even if there was, why would an omnipotent being then be unable to communicate that knowledge in a way that we could understand, even if we could not have originally obtained it on our own?
The argument would be that the omnipotent being would have to do something they don't want to do to do it (for instance elevate you to godhood). I'll assert that it takes non-zero time to explain something to a human, some things take longer than others to explain, therefore it's at least conceivable that there is a thing that takes longer than a human's lifetime to explain to that human, so that human can never understand it. I think the burden of demonstrating that any such thing actually exists such that we need to care about it is still on Keeshhound.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Keeshhound posted:

Sure, but that God could also give us access to that knowledge as well, so that doesn't actually matter in any way.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Can we agree that to have your innermost thoughts known constitutes a violation of one's privacy, such that some people might feel that they have been horrifically wronged to have it happen to them?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Keeshhound posted:

Can we agree that to have your innermost thoughts known constitutes a violation of one's privacy, such that some people might feel that they have been horrifically wronged to have it happen to them?

Even if so that has nothing to do with my ability to understand those thoughts, so that's not a concern for this argument. But it does bring up an interesting question about whether God can possess that knowledge and still be called good.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Who What Now posted:

Even if so that has nothing to do with my ability to understand those thoughts, so that's not a concern for this argument. But it does bring up an interesting question about whether God can possess that knowledge and still be called good.

For the sake of moving forward, I'm going to take that as acceptence. If you'd rather deny it, please say so and I'll back up.

So far we are in agreement that God as we have defined them can know the thoughts of others, and from that knowledge gain insights that we as humans cannot unaided.

We also agree that that knowledge might be immoral, or that it might cause harm to people.

From that, I see several options
Deny the knowledge. This makes God's culpability in the suffering of the world harder to pin down than if God is wholly omniscient, to my mind.

Accept the knowledge, but hide it; refusing to act on it or share it.

Accept the knowledge and act on it, but do not share it.

Does anyone have objections or additions to make?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

twodot posted:

The argument would be that the omnipotent being would have to do something they don't want to do to do it (for instance elevate you to godhood). I'll assert that it takes non-zero time to explain something to a human, some things take longer than others to explain, therefore it's at least conceivable that there is a thing that takes longer than a human's lifetime to explain to that human, so that human can never understand it. I think the burden of demonstrating that any such thing actually exists such that we need to care about it is still on Keeshhound.

I'm not saying he'd have to do anything, rather that if he so desired, he could share knowledge which otherwise would be beyond human ken in a way we could grasp.

After all, we're discussing a theoretical omnipotent being, the literal creator of the universe for whom reality itself is but clay to be molded according to his will and whim. Objections that doing anything really would somehow be difficult or time consuming for him are trivial at best.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Keeshhound posted:

For the sake of moving forward, I'm going to take that as acceptence. If you'd rather deny it, please say so and I'll back up.

So far we are in agreement that God as we have defined them can know the thoughts of others, and from that knowledge gain insights that we as humans cannot unaided.

We also agree that that knowledge might be immoral, or that it might cause harm to people.

From that, I see several options
Deny the knowledge. This makes God's culpability in the suffering of the world harder to pin down than if God is wholly omniscient, to my mind.

Accept the knowledge, but hide it; refusing to act on it or share it.

Accept the knowledge and act on it, but do not share it.

Does anyone have objections or additions to make?

This has nothing to do with my ability to understand his moral reasons, you understand that, right? So now you're changing your argument from "You couldn't understand God's reasons" to "God shouldn't tell you, because it might be immoral". Is that an accurate assessment of your new argument, and do you concede that your previous one isn't valid?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Who What Now posted:

This has nothing to do with my ability to understand his moral reasons, you understand that, right?

And it has everything to do with why such a god would not give you understanding of their motivations.

Do you propose to judge actions without context?

Or do you want god to raise you up at the expense of your fellows so that you can judge God's actions?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Keeshhound posted:

And it has everything to do with why such a god would not give you understanding of their motivations.

Why he wouldn't doesn't matter for this argument. So yes, you have changed from "You couldn't understand God's reasons" to "He wouldn't/shouldn't tell you", and that's not an argument I accept.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Who What Now posted:

Why he wouldn't doesn't matter for this argument. So yes, you have changed from "You couldn't understand God's reasons" to "He wouldn't/shouldn't tell you", and that's not an argument I accept.

Sure it does. Mysterious Ways says that God has reasons for allowing suffering, and that they won't share them with us. Unless you can explain why God should engage an immoral act to allow someone else to judge them, you haven't disproven it, and challenge to the problem of evil's logic still stands.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Keeshhound posted:

Sure it does. Mysterious Ways says that God has reasons for allowing suffering, and that they won't share them with us. Unless you can explain why God should engage an immoral act to allow someone else to judge them, you haven't disproven it, and challenge to the problem of evil's logic still stands.

Ok, I don't care about it, and God should tell me. Now what?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Who What Now posted:

Ok, I don't care about it, and God should tell me. Now what?

I didn't know you were an objectivist.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Keeshhound posted:

Sure it does. Mysterious Ways says that God has reasons for allowing suffering, and that they won't share them with us.

But Mysterious Ways is built on a bullshit foundation, namely that reasons are presumed for God allowing suffering in the absence of anything suggesting they actually exist. They're invented after the fact because, from the believer's perspective, it would be damaging to the core rationale for believing if they weren't any such exculpatory reasons, so therefore they must exist.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Captain_Maclaine posted:

But Mysterious Ways is built on a bullshit foundation, namely that reasons are presumed for God allowing suffering in the absence of anything suggesting they actually exist. They're invented after the fact because, from the believer's perspective, it would be damaging to the core rationale for believing if they weren't any such exculpatory reasons, so therefore they must exist.

That only matters if you're looking for an evidence based proof or disprove of god.

As challenge to the logic of the problem of evil, they just serve as a set of circumstances under which the problem no longer serves as an adequate rebuttal of their claim that their God, which has those properties, exists.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Keeshhound posted:

I didn't know you were an objectivist.

Who cares? Morality isn't a concern for this argument, it has to do whether I can understand, not whether I should be told.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Who What Now posted:

Who cares? Morality isn't a concern for this argument, it has to do whether I can understand, not whether I should be told.

If I said anything that indicated that my goal was to prove that the knowledge of god would be harmful or impossible to obtain, then I apologize; that was not my intention. The position I have been trying to advance is the one that the problem of evil is a poor attempt to disprove god, due to it's logical failings.

That said, it does seem unlikely that a person could retain their identity if they had access to all the thoughts and experiences of everyone to ever live, even if we ignored the presumably physical limits of the human body.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Keeshhound posted:

If I said anything that indicated that my goal was to prove that the knowledge of god would be harmful or impossible to obtain, then I apologize; that was not my intention. The position I have been trying to advance is the one that the problem of evil is a poor attempt to disprove god, due to it's logical failings.

The problem of evil only seeks to cast doubt on the existence of an omni-benevolent God, not every possible concept of a god. And if it had logical failings "mysterious reasons" isn't one of them and never will be, because it isn't an argument to begin with.

quote:

That said, it does seem unlikely that a person could retain their identity if they had access to all the thoughts and experiences of everyone to ever live, even if we ignored the presumably physical limits of the human body.

So?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If God can set out the rules for good and evil, but fails to demonstrate that he abides by them, God appears to be a piece of poo poo unworthy of worship. Thoughts?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Keeshhound posted:

As I stated before: There can be no reason for suffering, whether or not we are even capable of comprehending the reason being supposed, because any reason at all for required suffering could be overcome or circumvented or produced in a fashion without suffering by an all-powerful god. The existence of suffering is not validly answered by "mysterious ways" as a result, unless your definition of "mysterious ways" is "God is not good".

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Who What Now posted:

I'm sorry, but that's just not true.
Hm, on further reflection I just find him listenable. You are right and I stand corrected. It's also interesting to me how hard it is to type that out. A sense of shame comes with openly admitting you were right. That shame is so powerful I feel it's the reason people don't change their minds - even though I/we like to focus on attempting to 'logic' somebody over to our side.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lampsacus posted:

Hm, on further reflection I just find him listenable. You are right and I stand corrected. It's also interesting to me how hard it is to type that out. A sense of shame comes with openly admitting you were right. That shame is so powerful I feel it's the reason people don't change their minds - even though I/we like to focus on attempting to 'logic' somebody over to our side.

I hope you don't find real atheists on the internet as smug as internet atheists.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

I hope you don't find real atheists on the internet as smug as internet atheists.
I feel like they are the same things? In my mind the only different is, 'internet atheists' are those who cross the line into smug.
EDIT: that shame comment goes both ways as well. A human changing their beliefs is a fascinating topic!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

I feel like they are the same things? In my mind the only different is, 'internet atheists' are those who cross the line into smug.
EDIT: that shame comment goes both ways as well. A human changing their beliefs is a fascinating topic!

I always tend to associate "Internet Atheists" with people who have posters of Dawkins up on the wall, complete with fedora and neckbeard.

And yeah, changing ones views is an extremely difficult one to do, it's why we always tend to need more "proof" from the opposing side to believe in it, even if we believe stuff from our own "side" with far less.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Anyone who goes to atheist events or groups can be called an "internet atheist." I find them boring, but then I've already been an atheist my whole life so I don't feel the need to join a club or movement.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SedanChair posted:

Anyone who goes to atheist events or groups can be called an "internet atheist." I find them boring, but then I've already been an atheist my whole life so I don't feel the need to join a club or movement.

:agreed:

I mean, it's the sort of thing I might've felt drawn to back when I was a teenager and being an atheist was less socially acceptable back then, but there's no real appeal for me these days, even before we get into the obnoxiousness of many of the prominent New Atheists.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

According to your logic that would be an immoral act for god to commit though:

Keeshhound posted:

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 1, 2016

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

gently caress it I'll kick the honey pot.

Here's another way to think about this problem of evil business. Where is God relative to the cross?

By that I mean, if one looks at a situation of human suffering one can ask a couple of questions. Where is the position of God in this situation? Or where am I as a person in relation to the person suffering in this situation?

An example is the cross. One could say, God is behind the cross, in the sense of the Father putting Jesus on the cross. One could say God is on the cross, in the sense that Christ is crucified. One could say God is in all positions, on the cross in the soldiers, in Jesus, in the witnesses, etc.

Some of you saw me confront Victor with this way of analysing it with the example of Pipel. The point is, the conversation doesn't have to be bullshit thought experiments or abstraction.

Instead of omnipotent blah blah blah, or omniscient blah blah blah. One can look at suffering and say: Where am I relative to this suffering? and Where is God relative to this suffering?

I'm sorry the recent death of Elie Weisel made me think of this thread. There are other ways to look at this question.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

Here's another way to think about this problem of evil business. Where is God relative to the cross?

That's what Jesus was wondering :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

You know that is an interesting set up. I suppose the arguement would be that God is in all of it but disapproves of the suffering part of it.

• Locked thread