Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Gorilla Salad posted:

All this talk of Witcher 3 got me to look it up on Steam and it's on sale for just $25 for the next week or so. Now I can play it on my computer with silly mods :)

It also reminded me of the very first time I ever heard of the Witcher series. Someone posted a gif from the opening cutscene of the second game and it just blew me away. I found the full thing on youtube and I was hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl5BeOLZhyw

Might not count as a "Game moment" but it sure as hell succeeded on selling the series to me.

Several months ago, Witcher 2 was strangely available for free on the XBox store, and apparently able to be played on the XBone. I figure it'll give me something to play after I finish my second Witcher 3 playthrough. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Evilreaver posted:

Team 6-76 is very nearly the best team comp against a non-coordinated (ie: virtually all of them) team. 76 has no direct weakness and works well against everyone (to some degree, at least). Tanks-- and their barriers-- melt, snipers get one shot off before they get five rockets to the face... and any 76 who doesn't die in one shot is immediately healed, usually while still in combat/able to return fire. The ones who do die can sprint right back into the action. With payloads ALSO healing them, it gets crazy (especially if a Lucio is healing a 5-76 team on payload).

Only coordinated strikes really have a prayer at stopping them; 76 is vulnerable to basically every AOE ult (Grav Surge + Blizzard is an easy team kill), but you'll never get that in public games. It's a pretty good time :allears:

On the other hand, it's comparatively hard to get 6-76 in public games for the same reason :cheeky:

Yeah, 76 is really well designed if you're used to traditional shooters, not to mention very well balanced in the game itself. Blizzard intentionally designed his kit and play style to appeal to the CoD players of the world as a gateway character. Which in itself is a nice little thing in games.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I found a cool thing in Elite: Dangerous. You fly a spaceship shooting things and trading, and when you dock at spaceports a traffic controller will come on the radio and guide you in.

Now of course you can get your Han Solo on and smuggle things, but you risk being scanned by security ships. You can close off your ship's heat vents to make yourself harder to spot on sensors and hopefully avoid scans.

Normally if you do it, the traffic controller is all :ohdear: commander you've dropped off scan are you okay?

But landing a a dodgy surface port instead I got :rolleyes: yeah whatever we can all see you're smuggling just don't offload anything dangerous jackass

Veotax
May 16, 2006

This pre-rendered cutscene looks amazing at max settings!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Wow, what an awesome burn you got off on me simply by removing all the contextual text in my post :thumbsup:

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Did you not read the title of the video you linked? He's riffing on that.

Unless :thejoke:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Yeah he really razzed you

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Wasn't saying anything about you, dude. Thought the title of the video was dumb.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Sorry I was an rear end. Had a lovely day.

Election time when you work in a hard right wing industry sucks.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Gorilla Salad posted:

Sorry I was an rear end. Had a lovely day.

Election time when you work in a hard right wing industry sucks.

Goddamn can I relate to that poo poo.

Content: Played a little Fallout 4 yesterday and saw a new melee animation that I hadn't seen before. I was working my way through Vault 114 as my Grognak dress, axe wielding Raider character when I finally made it to Skinny Malone and the crazy girlfriend with the bat. As soon as I fail the speech check, I VATS Blitz over to her and swing my axe. Rather than getting the regular animation where the axe just passes through her, it instead gets firmly planted into her neck with a THUNK sound. It held there for a moment (probably about 2 real time seconds since I was in VATS slow mo), then my character lifted it up and she slumped to the floor.

I've been running around with this build for like 7 hours and hadn't seen that animation, and for it to pop up for the first time against a boss was pretty drat cool and surprising. In retrospect, I wonder if some new melee animations have been patched in since the last time I played; it's been almost 2 months.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Playing Shadow Warrior PS4, really fun game so far. Love that it's basically an updated version of the original game, with the katana+shuriken or gun based combat. Also, there are no crap weapons so far. The pistol is powerful, the smg has decent stopping power so makes for nice crowd control, and the charged crossbow just kills stuff. The powers all feel worth using, even the ones you wouildn't think would be all that good like the "Meat Pinata". No aspect of the arsenal so far (Beginning of Chapter 4) feels wasted. Also I like the goofy dialog, it's terrible but appropriately nineties terrible so it just fits and is funny.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Playing Shadow Warrior PS4, really fun game so far. Love that it's basically an updated version of the original game, with the katana+shuriken or gun based combat. Also, there are no crap weapons so far. The pistol is powerful, the smg has decent stopping power so makes for nice crowd control, and the charged crossbow just kills stuff. The powers all feel worth using, even the ones you wouildn't think would be all that good like the "Meat Pinata". No aspect of the arsenal so far (Beginning of Chapter 4) feels wasted. Also I like the goofy dialog, it's terrible but appropriately nineties terrible so it just fits and is funny.
Unfortunately some of the weapons end up really sucking and not being worth upgrading because the late game is full of bullet sponges :(

The crossbow stays incredible though, which is good because it's the most satisfying to use. The pistol, SMGs, shotgun and flamethrower all kind of fall off beyond situational uses.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I picked up Aliens Versus Predator during the summer sale, and the developers did a really good job overall on the Alien control scheme and very minimalistic HUD.

Even if Six bounces around a hallway at crazy speeds, it's easy to know which way is down thanks to the targeting reticle. The reticle is a straight, horizontal line with one tick hanging down, and the tick will always point to the floor. It's super helpful when I'm flailing on the walls and ceiling while trying to grab an enemy.

QuietLion has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Jun 29, 2016

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Quote is not edit, sorry!

QuietLion has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Jun 29, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got to chapter 5, and I think I've met the first Bullet-sponge enemies (The clawed dudes are much hardier, and the shield guys are pretty beefy). They're not too bad though because you can knock the shield guys down from the front with the force-push and slash them while they are down. An aesthetic thing that I really love so far is with the upgrades you get with Karma points. Each upgrade adds a new Yakuza tattoo based on an animal to the protagonists torso, until with all the upgrades during a new game plus the entire torso is painted. It looks really good when they start to link up too, it's very fluid how the patterns moves from one animal to another.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Gorilla Salad posted:

All this talk of Witcher 3 got me to look it up on Steam and it's on sale for just $25 for the next week or so. Now I can play it on my computer with silly mods :)

It also reminded me of the very first time I ever heard of the Witcher series. Someone posted a gif from the opening cutscene of the second game and it just blew me away. I found the full thing on youtube and I was hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl5BeOLZhyw

Might not count as a "Game moment" but it sure as hell succeeded on selling the series to me.

This is honestly one of my all-time favorite CGI action scenes including everything from Hollywood.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

timp posted:

Goddamn can I relate to that poo poo.

Content: Played a little Fallout 4 yesterday and saw a new melee animation that I hadn't seen before. I was working my way through Vault 114 as my Grognak dress, axe wielding Raider character when I finally made it to Skinny Malone and the crazy girlfriend with the bat. As soon as I fail the speech check, I VATS Blitz over to her and swing my axe. Rather than getting the regular animation where the axe just passes through her, it instead gets firmly planted into her neck with a THUNK sound. It held there for a moment (probably about 2 real time seconds since I was in VATS slow mo), then my character lifted it up and she slumped to the floor.

I've been running around with this build for like 7 hours and hadn't seen that animation, and for it to pop up for the first time against a boss was pretty drat cool and surprising. In retrospect, I wonder if some new melee animations have been patched in since the last time I played; it's been almost 2 months.

I've been replaying fallout 4 and I'm doing the story DLC stuff for the first time and it's legit better than the main game. The final quest of it has you go into a facility where they make robobrains and the various logs you can read on the computers are just amazing. I especially liked the one that ends with a guy pondering about how if doing horrific things like carving out brains to make robots that want to die makes his co-workers feel bad then maybe his co-workers should just find work elsewhere because he's just having a jolly good time here.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

timp posted:

Fallout 4 execution

I had something similar-ish happen in Skyrim. I used one-handed maces extensively, so I took the perk that boosted mace damage a bit and "allowed decapitations with maces", which I took for a lazy perk description, because the axes and swords perk had the exact same text with only the weapons changed. An hour or so later, enough to completely forget about the perk, I'm investigating murders in Windhelm and find out that the murderer is about to kill his next victim at the marketplace! I easily pick out the one creep sneaking around, start shadowing him, and strike him from behind with my mace. My character takes a swing and takes his head clean off his shoulders.

The crowd's reaction to me inventing Nord Baseball? "Better him than me." Indeed.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I picked up Black Mesa, the Half-Life remake, during the Steam sale. I don't know if it was in the original game, but I noticed that if you fake out a barnacle (the ceiling monsters with the tongues) with an object, that barnacle will not grab the same object again. It just retracts its tongue to avoid it. I don't remember seeing it in the original game, and it's a really nice touch.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Inco posted:

I picked up Black Mesa, the Half-Life remake, during the Steam sale. I don't know if it was in the original game, but I noticed that if you fake out a barnacle (the ceiling monsters with the tongues) with an object, that barnacle will not grab the same object again. It just retracts its tongue to avoid it. I don't remember seeing it in the original game, and it's a really nice touch.

That's HL2 Barnacle behavior

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Yeah, I just realised it may have been in Half-Life 2 after making the post. Call it a little thing from Half-Life 2, then.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Kennel posted:

This is honestly one of my all-time favorite CGI action scenes including everything from Hollywood.

It's amazing, eastern europeans make some baller game trailers. My favorite is still Metro Last Light's Mobius trailer, which is more impressive imo considering it was made by like one guy (especially due to the unprecedentedly horrific dev conditions of that game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2djDE_kwH3Q

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

OK, I love this Level Designer for Shadow Warrior on the Steam Forums. A lot of people were complaining that when they dashed at the top of a flight of stairs they dies instantly, even if it was a drop they could easily hop down in real life. The designer owned them all with maths:

His initial sentence is replying to someone asking if he was a producer

Hashmallum posted:

Nope - I'm a level designer :)
And this is how physics work - try yourself.
Lo wang moves at 7.1 meters/s while walking and about 17 meters per second while sprinting.
While dashing his /a/ (acceleration) is /Δv/ (the delta of velocity) divided by /Δ of time/.

So if Lo Wang speeds up from 0m/s to 17m/s in 0.78 secs it's 17/0.78 ~ 21.79 m/s2
It's about 22g or even more, what is lethal for a human being, ninja or not. (I'm not a mathematician or a physicist so, I may be wrong).
This is physics dude :)
Chill.

If you wish I can prepare a custom save for you, especially for you, where you are immortal - if this issue makes you hate the game so much! You'll be able to dash off any stairs you wish!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

17 m/second. Usain Bolt eat your heart out.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BioEnchanted posted:

OK, I love this Level Designer for Shadow Warrior on the Steam Forums. A lot of people were complaining that when they dashed at the top of a flight of stairs they dies instantly, even if it was a drop they could easily hop down in real life. The designer owned them all with maths:

he sure owned realism with his magic ninja warrior

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I can accept marrying realistic physics with unrealistic powers. The Flash could be in a lout of trouble if temporarily blinded and running smack into a wall, and Lo Wang doesn't have the speedforce. It's a fair explanation.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

BioEnchanted posted:

I can accept marrying realistic physics with unrealistic powers. The Flash could be in a lout of trouble if temporarily blinded and running smack into a wall, and Lo Wang doesn't have the speedforce. It's a fair explanation.

Real people can't get shot in the face and walk it off. It's dumb.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

In FFXIV, one of the main NPCs you deal with is a girl named Minfilia or something. Normally, she walks around with her midriff showing because, ya know, it's a Japanese MMO. A good portion of the story of the game involves you doing things in a snowy part of the world. In a lot of games, the character models are persistent no matter where the person is because (I assume) the devs are like "gently caress it." Well, when Minfilia is in the snowy part of the world, they put her in a thick-rear end coat with no skin showing. It makes sense that she wouldn't be half-naked in the snowy mountains, even if the player character can run around the mountaintops shirtless without a moment's hesitation.

The game's pretty great for acknowledging how stupidly powerful player characters are too. Like, sometimes they'll write a scenario and "ask" the character if they'll help kill a god or something and your avatar just shrugs and nods because, gently caress it, why not? We all know you're gonna do it and you can't say no, and you're essentially the most powerful person in the world. No reason to pretend otherwise or feign excitement.

Ajon
Aug 8, 2007
'VRROOOMMM!!!' roared the car. 'SPRUITS!' said gramma.

BioEnchanted posted:

22 m s-2 is actually 2.2 g, so hardly lethal.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ajon posted:

22 m s-2 is actually 2.2 g, so hardly lethal.

Ah, so not only was his argument irrelevant, it was also using faulty physics. Well, guess that's why he's the level designer and not the physics programmer! :v:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

His explanations was funny and cute, but it was still awful to die that way.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Well, that happens in every game with superspeed. If you superspeed from the top of a slope you will take fall damage.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

BioEnchanted posted:

Well, that happens in every game with superspeed. If you superspeed from the top of a slope you will take fall damage.

Hell that poo poo happens in WoW. There was a bug for a bit where a hunter with Aspect of the Cheetah turned on would keep getting run speed boosted if they crossed "zone" boundaries. Boost it enough and jump while running, and the game would take into account how far you traveled while in the air and you'd die. Similar things happen if you use a flying mount, dismount while moving forward near the ground, and somehow manage to bounce off the ground. You were moving too fast to actually stop on the tiny point you hit, so you keep moving, and have thus moved too far in the air to avoid falling damage.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In GTA: Vice City you could take fall damage if you ran off of some curbs onto the street, and I remember at least one critic at the time praising the developers for putting so much detail into the game world that you could even stub your toe :v:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I actually have a video about this bs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbhgupYq_TA

Dashing was really great way of getting around quickly so I did it all the time which resulted at least 5 deaths of this kind.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A thing I like about the characters is that Lo Wang isn't an idiot - he correctly guesses a major plot point based on what he knows, Koji just dismisses it because he doesn't remember it happening - which turns out to be the exact point of the twist. I thought that that was fairly clever. Also like the self aware jabs at his own oneliners:

"I think they got the POINT! Yeah.. that one was... terrible..:nyoron:"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BioEnchanted posted:

Jesus Christ you don't get to brutally own someone with "real physics" if your "walking speed" is over twice the average speed of someone running. What a fucknugget.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gah, what a wankshit. jesus. i mean jesus. the nerve of this cockparrot

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BioEnchanted posted:

A thing I like about the characters is that Lo Wang isn't an idiot - he correctly guesses a major plot point based on what he knows, Koji just dismisses it because he doesn't remember it happening - which turns out to be the exact point of the twist. I thought that that was fairly clever. Also like the self aware jabs at his own oneliners:

"I think they got the POINT! Yeah.. that one was... terrible..:nyoron:"

Wang being a complete manchild was a total stroke of genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

gah, what a wankshit. jesus. i mean jesus. the nerve of this cockparrot

Thank you for contributing to this thread with your brutal own about my post re: a level designer with his head up his rear end, a chip on his shoulder, and a faulty decimal button on his calculator, you have truly opened my eyes and enriched the world today.