Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

I make my TEV protease with a GFP tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Karl Fischer titrations suck so much.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I used to make nucleotides with rhodamine, cyanines, and fluorescein labels. They look like you're running highlighter inks through the HPLC.

Edit: Here's an old photo of some Cy5 in an unmixed layer of HPLC waste:

RadioPassive fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 29, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I had to purify pyocyanin from Pseudomonas aeruginosa. It's a blue pigment and the bacterial cultures themselves are a murky green color so they already look kinda neat. To extract you do an organic phase separation into chloroform and you get a brilliant green organic phase. Next you acidify the organic phase and it turns bright loving red then you repartition it into water a few times, take the same red organic phase and re-neutralize it and it ends up being this brilliant royal blue color.

Looks cool as gently caress and is the only legitimate lab protocol I've ever done that looked like Hollywood science.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
I do a test to find sulfites that uses methyl red indicator, there are lots of pretty purples, pinks, reds, and yellows in that test.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
All I ever see are white powders and off white powders. And basically empty vials for wits analysis.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

DemeaninDemon posted:

Karl Fischer titrations suck so much.

I could always tell when Karl Fischers were almost done when running moistures on ethanol samples. If the moisture was way too high on a < 1% spec sample, the timing on color change was noticeable.

On other news, has anyone heard anything about Poly-Med being bought? Heard about it this morning, but with very little in details.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Its always nice when I come into the lab and am immediately handed papers for a "random" drug test

at least the Quest was empty and not full of old people for once

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 30, 2016

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

DOOP posted:

Its always nice when I come into the lab and am immediately handed papers for a "random" drug test

Meh... I test every day at work.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

I heart bacon posted:

Meh... I test every day at work.

Can you expand on this? You get drug-tested every day?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sundae posted:

Probably means I heart bacon is the one doing the benchwork for the tests.

All of the liquids I play with are colourless(certainly not odourless though...!) except when we're measuring DNA concentrations with flourescence. Then we use Pico Green, which is actually more of an amber hue. But it's photoreactive so I get to see its pretty colour for all of ten seconds while pipetting it...

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

DOOP posted:

"Sweet! What drugs are we testing today?"

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Sundae posted:

I work at a place that makes drug test kits. Incoming drug strips and all devices that are built there are tested against human specimens along with various controls. I'm usually the first one in every day so I set up the lab and give a donation (what's the greatest nation in the world? DOnation!) It's voluntary, if that matters at all.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I heart bacon posted:

I work at a place that makes drug test kits. Incoming drug strips and all devices that are built there are tested against human specimens along with various controls. I'm usually the first one in every day so I set up the lab and give a donation (what's the greatest nation in the world? DOnation!) It's voluntary, if that matters at all.

That seems like it might be kind of a cool data set. Do you see any fluctuation, like if you eat a poppy seed bagel?

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Epitope posted:

That seems like it might be kind of a cool data set. Do you see any fluctuation, like if you eat a poppy seed bagel?

I do notice fluctuations in the intensity of the lines whether I've been drinking or dehydrated. They're good solid negatives, but they can be weaker negatives sometimes. The more water I drink, the more intense the negatives are. My most intense negatives are OPI, COC, and MET. pH and specific gravity turn up normal also.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

goodness posted:

"Sweet! What drugs are we testing today?"

420 smoke weed every day

The people that were selected to be drug tested were me, the guy who wears a marijuana headband to work everyday, and one of the more likely suspects to actually use drugs

Best part was that I wasn't even supposed to be selected. It was another lab tech but he's on vacation this week, so management said "eh, make DOOP piss in a cup."

I heart bacon posted:

this is pretty cool.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

DOOP posted:

this is pretty cool.

It is! I really like it. I'm going in tomorrow (probably with a slight beer buzz) looking to check incoming drug cards to build kits next week. I miss my paychecks from working in the ethanol biz, but this job has been much more flexible with learning proper QC. I hope it works out so I can move into a decent paying job in west Michigan within the next year or two. Also I wear a blue labcoat here and most people in this company see that as the enemy.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

I heart bacon posted:

It is! I really like it. I'm going in tomorrow (probably with a slight beer buzz) looking to check incoming drug cards to build kits next week. I miss my paychecks from working in the ethanol biz, but this job has been much more flexible with learning proper QC. I hope it works out so I can move into a decent paying job in west Michigan within the next year or two. Also I wear a blue labcoat here and most people in this company see that as the enemy.

Your tests don't test for alcohol then?

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

goodness posted:

Your tests don't test for alcohol then?

Yes! They do. There's urine and saliva alcohol tests that we do. It's only a positive if you are actually under the influence at the time of testing. Also there's an ETG (Ethyl Glucuronide) test which will tell if you have been drinking within the last couple of days. It can go up to 3 days, IIRC. I don't do ETG tests. I do give a pretty solid positive for Cotinine, though. :clint:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

goodness posted:

On a real note, how often are you working with something that is colorless vs colored.

ELISA plates turn blue when you add the peroxidase and then turn yellow when you add stop solution!

Current ~lab drama~ revolving around a missive sent from our facilities guy regarding "appropriate footwear" for the lab. SOP states we must wear closed-toed shoes and pants that cover the ankle. which is reasonable. Apparently they've now decided that our shoes must cover the entire foot including the top and sides with no skin/sock showing, so the shoes that most female employees have been wearing (loafers, ballet flats, Mary Janes, etc) are no good anymore. I get that it's all to cover their rear end but still annoying since it's entirely corporate-directed and not based on any actual incidents/injuries.

Naturally they won't be reimbursing the cost of any new shoes employees are having to purchase to fulfill this requirement.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
In their defense, wearing totally encased shoes in a lab is a really good idea. Our requirement is fully leather without big stitching for stuff to get trapped in.

Learned first hand why. We get spent piranha to test for acid content a lot. It's spent because the peroxide gets gobbled up after it cools so it's basically a bottle of concentrated sulfuric acid. Had a drop fall on my shoe and I just wiped it off. There's now a little pit but that's it. Darn samplers need some grip strength and close the bottle tighter. Don't like bags with dribbles of sulfuric acid in there.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I wear steel tipped boots

It's cool

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

One place I worked at, it was steel toed shoes everywhere. We had one lab tech that would kick off her boots and wander out into the plant in her socks. She would open pressurized fermentation sample bottles and get sprayed in the face. She was special. :allears: Also her name is kay and her nickname was special kay.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

DemeaninDemon posted:

In their defense, wearing totally encased shoes in a lab is a really good idea. Our requirement is fully leather without big stitching for stuff to get trapped in.

Learned first hand why. We get spent piranha to test for acid content a lot. It's spent because the peroxide gets gobbled up after it cools so it's basically a bottle of concentrated sulfuric acid. Had a drop fall on my shoe and I just wiped it off. There's now a little pit but that's it. Darn samplers need some grip strength and close the bottle tighter. Don't like bags with dribbles of sulfuric acid in there.

Right, I'm not against the rule. I wear boots in lab myself. Just the email seemed a bit passive-aggressive (the phrase "certain people" was in there) and it was sent late afternoon before a holiday weekend with the announcement that they'd be enforcing it starting Tuesday.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Youth Decay posted:

Right, I'm not against the rule. I wear boots in lab myself. Just the email seemed a bit passive-aggressive (the phrase "certain people" was in there) and it was sent late afternoon before a holiday weekend with the announcement that they'd be enforcing it starting Tuesday.

I gotchya. Yeah using certain people in an email like that is pretty passive aggressive. Then the timing.... wow!

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
Recently work has banned the use of all in ear or over ear headphones in lab areas unless hearing protection is required. Under the guise of safety, despite there not being an incident. You need to be able to hear the 100 db fire alarm, not for hygiene reasons. This ban even extends to one ear bud in at a time. Some people use music as a way to concentrate over the 6 different conversations happening on the floor in 3 different languages. One of the guys that does this has bought some after shokz http://aftershokz.com/ to use in the lab as a minor gently caress you. I suggested we all buy bluetooth speakers and wear them on lanyards.

Naturally I asked the safety lady if I was allowed to wear Class 5 Ear protection at all times.

Doesnt bother us though as we play music though a re-purposed Laptop and stereo.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Anphear posted:

Under the guise of safety, despite there not being an incident.

This is a pretty bad attitude towards safety. Ideally, you want implement safety measures before someone gets hurt.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Anphear posted:

Recently work has banned the use of all in ear or over ear headphones in lab areas unless hearing protection is required. Under the guise of safety, despite there not being an incident. You need to be able to hear the 100 db fire alarm, not for hygiene reasons. This ban even extends to one ear bud in at a time. Some people use music as a way to concentrate over the 6 different conversations happening on the floor in 3 different languages. One of the guys that does this has bought some after shokz http://aftershokz.com/ to use in the lab as a minor gently caress you. I suggested we all buy bluetooth speakers and wear them on lanyards.

Naturally I asked the safety lady if I was allowed to wear Class 5 Ear protection at all times.

Doesnt bother us though as we play music though a re-purposed Laptop and stereo.

Lab stereo system needs rules controlling who is responsible for the music though or it's very unsafe.

More color chat: KMnO4 is my favorite lab color. Something about that deep purple.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

Lab stereo system needs rules controlling who is responsible for the music though or it's very unsafe.

More color chat: KMnO4 is my favorite lab color. Something about that deep purple.

So... you're suggesting they play deep purple?

Also, it's a really cool color. Back in my industrial water treatment days, you would sometimes find a spot where someone spilled a little of the dry KMnO4 when rinsing the floors down and BOOM purple rain.

On headphone chat, I bet it's either a safety person trying to justify their existence in the company or someone figured out that banning them would save money on insurance. Not health insurance, but work comp insurance, BTW.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

gninjagnome posted:

This is a pretty bad attitude towards safety. Ideally, you want implement safety measures before someone gets hurt.

I'm not poo-pooing safety as not required. I am poo pooing the safety overlords banning headphones without doing an actual walk through to see if there is a usage problem (2 people out of 35 on the floor that use headphones while working). Other departments cannot even get there people to wear labcoats when working with Human blood samples or disecting animals. I feel like these are more pressing issues than weather or not Jenny the gossip is able to tell me about what/who Becky did on her weekend while I wait for the ultra to spin down.

I am still allowed to wear my $300 noise cancelling over ear headphones at my computer which is literally one door away from my lab desk. It kind of defeats the point if being able to hear the fire alarm is the actual goal.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Agree'd hence why the volume control on the stereo is taped to 6 out of 15 and the computer volume is set to between 15 and 25. This is about the same volume as our loud benchtop centrifuge is at 13k.

No Gangster rap if someone important is due through.

Anphear fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 6, 2016

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'm talking about one person being responsible for the music so no one fights over it. It's also their fault that bad music came on.

When it's just me I go with heavy metal. Get weird looks from some people dropping off samples. Their fault for dropping off samples at 3am.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
oh we all take turns picking what ever pandora station tickles our fancy that day. Iron maiden in the morning. Wu Tang after lunch. Beck the next day. Anything Cold play gets a thumbs down.

Weekends are a free for all as loud as you want it unless someone else turns up for work.

Actual science related: Work sent me to another campus 4 hours away for the weeks to drive an exciting instrument. I set up my plates yesterday and am now sitting and waiting.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

look at you fancy people with radios and such

:(

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

DOOP posted:

look at you fancy people with radios and such

:(

Trust me at Christmas you would want to throw the radio in a sink of HCl too

So yesterday i was reading the MSDS for a anti-cancer drug that i was supposed to test, apparently exposure to it may cause cancer.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Trust me at Christmas you would want to throw the radio in a sink of HCl too

So yesterday i was reading the MSDS for a anti-cancer drug that i was supposed to test, apparently exposure to it may cause cancer.
Chemotherapy is carcinogenic.

Not only do most cause DNA damage, simply applying a selective pressure on dividing cells promotes cancer progression.

Cancer sucks. :(

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

So our secretary came into the lab, took a bottle of acetone from the fume hood, and went back to her office with the bottle. Then when my supervisor called her to get back the acetone, she told him to bugger off.

I took it back after she left :sigh:

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

DOOP posted:

So our secretary came into the lab, took a bottle of acetone from the fume hood, and went back to her office with the bottle. Then when my supervisor called her to get back the acetone, she told him to bugger off.

I took it back after she left :sigh:

Nail polish remover? I know my wife constantly asks me to bring bottles of acetone back from the lab.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I mean stealing office supplies is a time honored tradition but if someone actually asks for it back you gotta give it up.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I doubt 99.5% pure acetone makes good nail polish remover. I mean, it should remove nail polish but with a whole bunch of other stuff as well :v:

There's a reason we keep acetone in the fume hood or flammable cabinet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Eh, acetone isn't so bad. Back when I worked in a lab doing a lot of organic chemistry we were regularly washing the glassware in acetone and I'd get it all over my hands. It didn't really do much except dry out your skin unless you left it on for a long time. Apparently it is just way more thorough and fast-acting than the store remover so you can apply it very exactly and quickly without having to soak your skin in whatever the commercial stuff is, which probably isn't much better for you.

She's turned it into a weird experiment, apparently 85% acetone, 10% glycerol, and 5% water is the mix she settled on working best, except for detail work which is the pure poo poo all the way.

Also if you were to store nail polish remover in a lab it would definitely need to go in the fume hood/solvent storage.

OnceIWasAnOstrich fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 14, 2016