Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
In my current game, the Magyars have been trying to subjugate Perm in a war that has lasted over 70 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jabor posted:

More competent advisors are better at their jobs. Your chancellor fabricates claims better, your marshal raises more troops, etc.

You do need to balance that against giving powerful (yet incompetent) vassals places on your council.

I mean the position in your council just titled "Advisor" with no other responsibilities.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Yup, the Advisor title is a sinecure.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

New Dev Diary.

This one's about maiming.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Goddammit Darkrenown when are we going to get our Skeleton Invasion DLC :mad:

Grillfiend posted:

what about acknowledged bastards?

Acknowledged bastards are still bastards--they'll switch to a "de X" dynasty upon your death if not legitimized. The only way they count as of your dynasty is if they have the Legitimized Bastard trait.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 28, 2016

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
People got really angry about the idea there might be actual zombies in the game last week :sigh:

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Darkrenown posted:

People got really angry about the idea there might be actual zombies in the game last week :sigh:

Those are the same people who play without Sunset Invasion. They're bad people.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Darkrenown posted:

So there's going to be zombies now, right?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Your next dev diary should just be this screenshot.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
If you lose a hand there better damned well be an event chain to get a replacement gold hand and then start training with a mute executioner.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

One of the leg lost events for a battle should be gaining martial from having to sit, watch, and command rather than going and doing stupid knight poo poo and seeing the whole battle through a visor slit. Also an event as a one eyed Norse religion where folks think you're Odin and you gain a little piety or learning.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Jazerus posted:

Your next dev diary should just be this screenshot.

That's honestly still one of my favourite CK2 screenshots. So maybe.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Still find it a bit odd you don't have one for a broken back. Maybe it's just all the Game of Thrones though.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
And if thou can't ride with a broken back,
At least thou can polish the saddle...

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

Zero One posted:

If you lose a hand there better damned well be an event chain to get a replacement gold hand and then start training with a mute executioner.

Pimp slapping vassals with it as an intrigue decision.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Glokta posted:

Pimp slapping vassals with it as an intrigue decision.
Or an event chain where a crippled martial character changes his education to an intrigue one and gains impaler~

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
If I lose my hands I should be able to have the blacksmith attach blades to my arm-stumps.

Someone actually did that in real life, a Mapuche Indian war chief rebelling against the Spanish colonizers named Galvarino. They lopped off his hands to make an example of him for rebelling, and he responded by immediately going back into battle a few weeks later, with swords for hands.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mister Bates posted:

If I lose my hands I should be able to have the blacksmith attach blades to my arm-stumps.

Someone actually did that in real life, a Mapuche Indian war chief rebelling against the Spanish colonizers named Galvarino. They lopped off his hands to make an example of him for rebelling, and he responded by immediately going back into battle a few weeks later, with swords for hands.

That's loving hardcore. My thoughts went to this guy, myself.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

As a merchant republic, what's my strategy for handling the feudal lands I conquer? My new vassals are castle-holding counts and the counties I get myself are castle-primary with burghers owning their cities. Unless I'm missing something, my only way to take titles from counts is provoking them to rebel, gaining a claim via fabrication or the Pope, or murdering everyone until I inherit. And I can't revoke from burghers unless I make them counts first. Is there a better way to go about this?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Various Meat Prod. posted:

As a merchant republic, what's my strategy for handling the feudal lands I conquer? My new vassals are castle-holding counts and the counties I get myself are castle-primary with burghers owning their cities. Unless I'm missing something, my only way to take titles from counts is provoking them to rebel, gaining a claim via fabrication or the Pope, or murdering everyone until I inherit. And I can't revoke from burghers unless I make them counts first. Is there a better way to go about this?

You want to personally hold nothing but castles except for your capital city. The only reason you would want burgher counts as vassals is if they are coastal, as they'll give you a lot more galleys than feudal counts, but that's often overkill. And you don't really need their money, especially at the cost of levies. Feudal vassals have a negative opinion modifier for wrong government type, but that's more than outweighed by being able to designate an heir. And yeah, merchant republics have a hell of a time with revocations and creating titles. Thems the breaks.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Various Meat Prod. posted:

You get a seize city holding CB wherever you own trade posts. If you use that, you'll get the city dirrectly. You can conquer coastal counties where you already own cities.

It's slower than just outright fabricating, but also a lot less fiddly in respect to vassal management.

e:

Volkerball posted:

You want to personally hold nothing but castles except for your capital city. The only reason you would want burgher counts as vassals is if they are coastal, as they'll give you a lot more galleys than feudal counts, but that's often overkill. And you don't really need their money, especially at the cost of levies. Feudal vassals have a negative opinion modifier for wrong government type, but that's more than outweighed by being able to designate an heir. And yeah, merchant republics have a hell of a time with revocations and creating titles. Thems the breaks.

Why would you hoard up castles if you're a patrician? You get a lot more gold from personally held cities, and you don't need levies if you've got cash.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 29, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ThaumPenguin posted:

Why would you hoard up castles if you're a patrician? You get a lot more gold from personally held cities, and you don't need levies if you've got cash.

You already have a license to print money as a patrician. Why worry about upgrading your strongest characteristic at the expense of others? And yeah you do. I still haven't moved on to the conclave patch, but if factions still work by faction strength and your vassals levies vs your levies, your personal levy size plays a major role in keeping your empire together. Especially since republics are capped at a weak crown law.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Volkerball posted:

You already have a license to print money as a patrician. Why worry about upgrading your strongest characteristic at the expense of others? And yeah you do. I still haven't moved on to the conclave patch, but if factions still work by faction strength and your vassals levies vs your levies, your personal levy size plays a major role in keeping your empire together. Especially since republics are capped at a weak crown law.

Good point.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
As a counterpoint, I try to get as many republican vassals as possible, slow going though it may be. Sure, you don't need them, strictly speaking, but since you're locked at Weak crown authority, you have no way to prevent wars between your vassals, which means that it's entirely possible for a feudal lord to just go around fabricating claims on everything around him and become powerful enough to topple the entire republic. The nice thing about republican vassals is that there's none of that business. It's not a big deal as a feudal ruler, because you can eventually get crown authority high enough to prevent it from happening all on its own, but as a Republic the only way to stop internecine war is to gradually replace all the feudal lords with republics and theocracies.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Skellybones posted:

So there's going to be zombies now, right?

But still no

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The 'End of Days' stuff kind of makes me think we're going to be seeing an even earlier date bookmark and a Fall of Rome scenario.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Mister Bates posted:

The 'End of Days' stuff kind of makes me think we're going to be seeing an even earlier date bookmark and a Fall of Rome scenario.

That wouldn't make much sense with their focus of the Black Plague and stuff, unless they really wanted to go all the way back the the Plague of Justinian. I mean, I wouldn't mind; makes my work a whole lot easier.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
CK2 slowly becomes Rome 2

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Started out as Hasteinn in the Old Gods start. Three generations on, I'm still Norse pagans, and hold all of Brittany, Ireland, Cornwall, and Southern England. An Umayyad missionary shows up and I allow him to stick around...then let him convert me to Sunni Islam. :getin:

Britain is now being ravaged by Muslim Vikings.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mister Bates posted:

Britain is now being ravaged by Muslim Vikings.

Between the EU voters and Iceland beating them in soccer, I think a lot of Brits have this actual fear.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
The Suomenesko just reformed in my current game. This is only the fourth time I've seen the AI make a pagan reformation (twice with Tengri, once with Slavic). How often does it happen for you guys?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Between the EU voters and Iceland beating them in soccer, I think a lot of Brits have this actual fear.
If only they'd leave NATO as well as the EU, we could be up to our old shenanigans again.

They'd never see it coming, after all.

Hadaka Apron posted:

The Suomenesko just reformed in my current game. This is only the fourth time I've seen the AI make a pagan reformation (twice with Tengri, once with Slavic). How often does it happen for you guys?
Norse has happened when they've steamrolled successfully, Romuva happened once due to lucky inheritance and Finnish has done so several times with Tengri about as many times pre-Horse lords but never after.

Slavic, never. Holy sites are too hosed and they're surrounded by folks wanting to bite them into chunks.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Man, coalitions have totally nerfed the Monglols. They lost about 50k of their event troops in a war against all of Eastern Europe and Central Asia.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Seems like they ought to add some kind of exception for them, I thought one of the Mongols' greatest strengths was playing off their enemies against each other.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

If only they'd leave NATO as well as the EU, we could be up to our old shenanigans again.

They'd never see it coming, after all.
Norse has happened when they've steamrolled successfully, Romuva happened once due to lucky inheritance and Finnish has done so several times with Tengri about as many times pre-Horse lords but never after.

Slavic, never. Holy sites are too hosed and they're surrounded by folks wanting to bite them into chunks.

One time I saw AI Zunists reform.

I was playing in Scandinavia and literally had not looked at that part of the world until I got the pop up, I have no idea how it happened.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I've had the Norse faith reform. I was playing as Mercia at the time, things did not go great for me after that.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

cock hero flux posted:

I was playing in Scandinavia and literally had not looked at that part of the world until I got the pop up, I have no idea how it happened.

that is cool

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

what

We're talking about the dudes that are usually wiped out after like, 3 wars? What the heck, they don't even have the tribals to subjugate anymore, how the heck...

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times before, but which DLC should I get if I'm absolutely new to the game? Conclave and way of life seem to be no-brainers since they add functionality that looks really fun, but as for the rest I have no clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times before, but which DLC should I get if I'm absolutely new to the game? Conclave and way of life seem to be no-brainers since they add functionality that looks really fun, but as for the rest I have no clue.

Those two are the main ones and even Conclave you might not want to jump right into if you're starting out since it makes vassal management more complicated (not really THAT much more complicated, but you might find it confusing if you've never played a Paradox game before).

The other main ones people tend to recommend are Legacy of Rome (which adds retinues - they aren't a big deal if you're a small realm but they make a difference for big kingdoms/empires), and Old Gods/Charlemagne for the earlier start dates (Old Gods seems to be preferred to Charlemagne for whatever reason - it does also unlock pagans as playable so that part is interesting too). Otherwise there isn't really any "mandatory" DLC; the rest are just stuff that's worth picking up if you're interested in the specific subject of that DLC.

That said it might be worth grabbing it all now while the Summer Sale is on. At the very least it's worth picking up the portrait packs - they're already super cheap normally and they're generally pretty good.

• Locked thread