Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The real shame about Starbound is that of all of the 2d crafting survival games I've played, this is still one of my all-time favorite music tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiRRq2wpsDk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Yeah, the music is great. I like this one because it sounds like something from Star Trek TOS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqGjJrxfRJo

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

remember when that art got us excited for jacked fishboys and dope owls

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Patware posted:

remember when that art got us excited for jacked fishboys and dope owls

i remember this for sun and moon starters yeah

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

the fish dudes should be big rear end sharks wtf chuckfish

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
1.0 getting closer and a blogpost about it if anyone cares

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ambaire posted:

The real shame about Starbound is that of all of the 2d crafting survival games I've played, this is still one of my all-time favorite music tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiRRq2wpsDk

That's because despite all the negative effort, you can't really gently caress up music.

If you could, you'd better believe Tiy would want to do stupid poo poo like have the music play from the keyboard instead of the speakers.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

So have they scrapped individual race storylines then? Not that they were going to be any good but I remember them saying they got the narrator from Bastion to record dialogue for all the unique intros and stuff.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

That actually looks like it addresses a lot of the issues I was having a few months ago, except I bet the combat still feels like poo poo.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

LordZoric posted:

So have they scrapped individual race storylines then? Not that they were going to be any good but I remember them saying they got the narrator from Bastion to record dialogue for all the unique intros and stuff.

sure seems that way

the crew stuff looks kinda good, maybe i'll get my hopes up to have them crushed again, hmm

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah they scrapped the race storylines in favour of something more cohesive a while back.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

That actually looks like it addresses a lot of the issues I was having a few months ago, except I bet the combat still feels like poo poo.

The combat is much less poo poo now. Give the nightly a shot, all the changes are focused there because they don't give a poo poo about updating stable anymore apparently.

Like there are still lots of really dumb decisions but they have been rolling them all back one by one and the game is actually visibly moving forward in a positive direction for once. They unfucked backwards movement, it feels nice to run around again.

Hammers are a charge attack, shortswords and daggers have combos, you can twirl spears all over the place, guns all do wildly different things, and there are random generated staves now too. Also, you can move while casting with staves.

That post is actually pretty old by now and they're quite a bit further along now. Cheat yourself a bunch of monster capture pods and go get a pet, too. They fixed the capture system and it's pretty cool now tbh.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Cicadas! posted:

The combat is much less poo poo now. Give the nightly a shot, all the changes are focused there because they don't give a poo poo about updating stable anymore apparently.

Like there are still lots of really dumb decisions but they have been rolling them all back one by one and the game is actually visibly moving forward in a positive direction for once. They unfucked backwards movement, it feels nice to run around again.

Hammers are a charge attack, shortswords and daggers have combos, you can twirl spears all over the place, guns all do wildly different things, and there are random generated staves now too. Also, you can move while casting with staves.

That post is actually pretty old by now and they're quite a bit further along now. Cheat yourself a bunch of monster capture pods and go get a pet, too. They fixed the capture system and it's pretty cool now tbh.

Iwanttobelieve.jpeg

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Cicadas! posted:

Game... good...?

Good game???

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

like, i keep saying this, but if nothing else once 1.0 is out people can actually mod the game worth a poo poo without everything breaking 5 minutes in

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Johnny Joestar posted:

like, i keep saying this, but if nothing else once 1.0 is out people can actually mod the game worth a poo poo without everything breaking 5 minutes in

they seem to be adding steamworks support which is pretty good

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

That was 2 months ago

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Ahundredbux posted:

they seem to be adding steamworks support which is pretty good

yeah, steamworks goes a long way towards getting people interested in the modding scene

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

AnonSpore posted:

Game... good...?

Good game???

The post already has them walking back improvements though. Like they had taken out the boring and lovely hunger system since the last time I played. There aren't that many steps between "In in alternate survival mode" to "We found it added so much depth it's going back into the main game!"
It's surprising how easily you can cock up a simple good game. I mean yeah starbound really would've had a hard time delivering on what was originally promised but the core game was fun if lacking in content when it was first released for EA.
Or look at a game like Killing Floor 2, where all Tripwire had to do was migrate their original game to a new engine and make prettier models. Everything else like new bosses or cosmetics was just gravy. Now they've got overly complex weird damage resistance to enforce team class diversity and disabled both of the trademark playstyles --Oh poo poo I actually didn't realize this thread has actually already gone into how terrible KF2 turned out.

But seriously, how do games wind up so completely ruined?

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 30, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

like half the time it's because the devs overthink and overwork something until it's basically mangled

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Against my better judgement, then, I might reinstall Starbound. After I peter out on Witcher 3.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Cicadas! posted:

[extremely bryan cranston voice] you're lying :mad:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I really wanted to like this game but I have given up hope, or at least shifted my hope to No Man's Sky instead. It looks like it will be everything we had hoped this game would have been.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Separating the "Main Quest" from the ship upgrades is A Good Thing. I don't care about space guardians or whatever but I do want to customize a cool ship. I assume the missions for this are dumb still, but I hope I'm wrong.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Trastion posted:

I really wanted to like this game but I have given up hope, or at least shifted my hope to No Man's Sky instead. It looks like it will be everything we had hoped this game would have been.

breaks my heart to see this

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Magmarashi posted:

That was 2 months ago

it was news to me ok!!

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Trastion posted:

Please cross post your breakdown in this thread once you realize the truth about nms

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
in starbound news david byrne is coming out with another musical:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/may/20/david-byrne-musical-joan-of-arc-talking-heads

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

Please cross post your breakdown in this thread once you realize the truth about nms

what video game do people want when they talk about nms, star bound, star citizen, etc

what game do they want that existing space games cannot provide them

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Acne Rain posted:

what video game do people want when they talk about nms, star bound, star citizen, etc

have you ever seen, Firefly ??

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
yeah but firefly does not have aliens and a lot of these games are about procedurally generated aliens, so idgi.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Trastion posted:

Let's ignore the fact that you can't communicate with other players. There is no grouping, and the devs said it's supposed to be solo so 'the players can feel the soul crushing loneliness of space.'

How will it be what we wanted? Building is going to be limited and not worth it. The goal of the game is to race to the center of the galaxy.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but I'm raining on it.

Starbound will forever be remembered as an almost good game that could have been almost great. Too bad it got Tiy'ed up in development hell.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Acne Rain posted:

yeah but firefly does not have aliens and a lot of these games are about procedurally generated aliens, so idgi.

well here me out, have you also seen. star trek. mass effect. star wars. minecraft

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

as much as this news makes me swell with joy, you belong with the guardian, in the tresh

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

My sole aspiration for Starbound was "sandbox Soldat with bird people". and for as weird as the game has gotten if that becomes possible I would play the game again. These are my words, for the thread.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Trastion posted:

yeah, spore WAS a good game. too bad it didnt live up to the hype

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Acne Rain posted:

bunnymanwithsexbot.jpeg

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rrussom posted:

as much as this news makes me swell with joy, you belong with the guardian, in the tresh

rude as all h*ck

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Cicadas! posted:

I played the nightly last week and it was still floaty dogshit. Don't believe this guy's lies, combat is still extremely bad. So you can hold down the mouse button for a charged hammer attack, big whoop. You can hold down the mouse button with a spear and hold it straight out, doing almost no damage and no knockback. There's no reason to ever do either of these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Prop Wash posted:

I played the nightly last week and it was still floaty dogshit. Don't believe this guy's lies, combat is still extremely bad. So you can hold down the mouse button for a charged hammer attack, big whoop. You can hold down the mouse button with a spear and hold it straight out, doing almost no damage and no knockback. There's no reason to ever do either of these things.

I'm still particularly petty over them giving hammers a wind up time. gently caress that. gently caress. That.

It's a loving nerf, it's awkward and no fun, no matter how much you advertise the special attacks.

Hammers were my brief glimmer of light in their poo poo combat system. So of course they gently caress with that too, and call it an improvement.

• Locked thread