Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Holy poo poo, that's a callback. Also :perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Okay this is good.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine Meets the Enemy

The Phantom

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I thought they were in a river, why's there a goddamn whale!

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (June 7, 1951)

Barnaby (November 12, 1942)

Nancy (July 22, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (April 4, 1929)

Barney Google (April 20, 1922)

Lil' Abner (December 17, 1936)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

I thought they were in a river, why's there a goddamn whale!

You must have missed it, but Mark Trail is currently at the start of a flashback.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Yeah, this is two years earlier than whenever Mark's Spelunking & Sperging adventure (Module MT01 - "Against the Kobold Drug Lords") takes place. All we know so far is that a rich young couple with creepy inhuman grins is enjoying a cruise on their private yacht through the South Pacific on their way to New Zealand, which means they have apparently just passed Hawaii. Which is decidedly north of the equator on our world, but the jam esallen cares not for your hoo-man 'geography' or 'education': the Sonoran desert or Texas, the Rio Grande or the Gulf of Mexico, south of the equator or north, spherical planet or flat, it's all the same.

At some point I'm genuinely expecting Mark Trail to start giving a lecture about pure strain gold or how the Earth is hollow and constantly expanding, or maybe just to spend a Sunday talking about how acid rain is a naturally occurring phenomenon and honest businesses are being smothered with unnecessary regulations by the tyrannical despots running the EPA. :(

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Trilobite posted:

Yeah, this is two years earlier than whenever Mark's Spelunking & Sperging adventure (Module MT01 - "Against the Kobold Drug Lords") takes place. All we know so far is that a rich young couple with creepy inhuman grins is enjoying a cruise on their private yacht through the South Pacific on their way to New Zealand, which means they have apparently just passed Hawaii. Which is decidedly north of the equator on our world, but the jam esallen cares not for your hoo-man 'geography' or 'education': the Sonoran desert or Texas, the Rio Grande or the Gulf of Mexico, south of the equator or north, spherical planet or flat, it's all the same.

At some point I'm genuinely expecting Mark Trail to start giving a lecture about pure strain gold or how the Earth is hollow and constantly expanding, or maybe just to spend a Sunday talking about how acid rain is a naturally occurring phenomenon and honest businesses are being smothered with unnecessary regulations by the tyrannical despots running the EPA. :(

next sunday strip is an eagle talking about the simultaneous 4-day time cube

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

[Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Echoing what the others said. Love the callback.

Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Reddick desperately wishes he drew Looney Tunes characters.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

I wonder what Brad and Toni and that neglected child everybody shits on are doing.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Toss the beanbag up 12 inches. If you go one inch above or below you are an abhorrent failure and will never be on a stage.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Odonata posted:

Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac

This is probably my favorite storyline of CDS, because it basically just Andre yelling at a wasp and Petey going "A wasp. Hmm." for a week. I love this comic so dang much.

I like this weird combination of Luann being incredibly belittling of Beatrice, and Beatrice not even making an appearance of trying to prove her wrong. Everyone in this comic is awful.
Also, you're practicing juggling in your bedroom. Why are you wearing high heels?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Green Intern posted:

Reddick desperately wishes he drew Looney Tunes characters.

It's weird how the main character has all these zany expressions but the girl has the one copy and pasted smarmy eye brow raising.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts (July 4, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Counterpoint: An email attachment never turns to pulp in a steady rain.

Meanwhile, Rip Haywire gets ambushed.

Thimble Theater (January 17, 1930)

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Pickles

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Wallace the Brave

Dadding Badly

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Chimeric posted:

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Silly boy, you can't go over water unless you have power.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze needs to take its own advice.

This guy appears to have dislocated his elbow.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I wonder what Brad and Toni and that neglected child everybody shits on are doing.
Planning their 9/11 wedding? Or did they change that because enough people told Greg Evans that was a bad idea?

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Counterpoint: An email attachment never turns to pulp in a steady rain.
I'm not sure about this, but I don't think when you subscribe to a digital newspaper, they literally email you a pdf of it every day. I subscribe to the Washington Post with only Sunday delivery (because I like the Sunday crossword) and that just entitles me unlimited access to their site (otherwise you are limited like 10 articles a month or something like that).

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

So the two richest people in RMMD are both mentally incompetent. Could it be that the Morgans have been taking advantage of these people in some kind of long con? If so, their nanny and babysitter have also gotten in on the action. This would explain a lot now that I think about it.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

I am honestly not sure who this is. It could be Tommie or the receptionist Lillian. I think it's Lillian, though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also deleting an email just sticks it in a trash folder for 30 days or something, and if you had the attachment open it's already downloaded anyway so it's just total tech illiteracy here.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Moving. Spiritually enriching. Sublime. “High” art, or, Gasoline Alley

Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

Middle School Action Comics!, or, Big Nate

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Also deleting an email just sticks it in a trash folder for 30 days or something, and if you had the attachment open it's already downloaded anyway so it's just total tech illiteracy here.
If there's one thing I've learned from years of complaining about Tom Batiuk, it's that he thinks very highly of his lovely writing abilities and doesn't fully understand the nuts and bolts of effective drama.

But if there's another thing it's that he only gripes a lot about poo poo he doesn't understand (see also: everything Hollywood related in Funky), so of course none of his iPad complaints gel with reality or are just nonsensical - yesterday's dog water bowl strip comes to mind.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_d%27h%F4te

Outbursts of Everett True

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Whoops Sisters

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Dave’s Delicatessen (click for big)

Mopsy

Feiffer (click for big)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Odonata posted:

This RARE coin that I routinely handle with my greasy hands and lose in dirty corners!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Odonata posted:

Andre's going to be quite tall when fully grown.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is better safe than sorry.

Working Daze should not be a parent.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix goes the extra mile.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

gently caress this comic. :mad:

Here you go, Skip: Tell her to go gently caress herself, let everybody else know she's trying to blackmail you, she gets fired, you can hook up with the black girl that you're secretly in love with, problem solved.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

I'm old enough to have been reading C&H in the newspaper as a kid, and had a bunch of the collections and it is REALLY WEIRD to read strips I've never seen before.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Boy, Randy is sure upset that he wasted spring this year.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ardeem posted:

I'm old enough to have been reading C&H in the newspaper as a kid, and had a bunch of the collections and it is REALLY WEIRD to read strips I've never seen before.

Ah, here's your problem, you didn't have all of the collections.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail Doesn't Deserve A "Meets" Joke Because It's Just a loving Train Wreck, Christ

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail Doesn't Deserve A "Meets" Joke Because It's Just a loving Train Wreck, Christ

How is this the work of a professional artist who is paid real human money to draw pictures? :stare:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think this is Mark Trail's origin story, where he got bit by a radioactive forest ranger.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze should not be a parent.

If your job is to make unfunny, nerd-pandering jokes, at least try to spell things correctly

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

SomeMathGuy posted:

Oh I get it, jam esallen has been playing a long practical joke where he just turns in lovely webcomics instead writing/drawing anything himself.

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Why is your head less than half the size of your hat? :greencube:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Odonata posted:

Normally I ignore this comic (I thought it was dull if not creepy when I was a little kid, and yep, still do). This one caught my eye, and initially I went through the stages of :psyduck: :argh: :eng101: on how Roman coins are dated and what a coin from the end of Nero's reign might actually be worth (at the low end of the scale, depending on metal, the most common from 64 would be about $3000 if in pristine condition and $500-$800 in beat-to-poo poo condition. Silver and gold would be more, obviously - Neronian coins tend to be sought after because 'He's the emperor who persecuted the Christians!' -- the same way Augustan coins are through the roof, because 'He's the emperor when baby Jebus was born!' at least according to my numismatist colleague.)

Then I thought, fuckit, too much energy. Instead, here's an example from A. D. 64. Enjoy the :reject:

Because of his Graecophilia he was depicted with a really-low slung neckbeard on a lot of his portraits; he was also made fun of for wearing his hair so long and curly on the nape of his neck, because that was partly another Greek style (frowned on by conservative Roman aristocrats) and also because it was a style for men much, much younger than Nero was in 64.

Nero would make a terrific subject for a newspaper comic strip. Not a Ripley's type thing or a Priince Valiant thing. 'That's Our Nero' sort of thing.

• Locked thread