Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

chitoryu12 posted:

The WWE is weird because even though it's been outed as scripted stunt shows for decades, the culture behind kayfabe (the act of staying in character even outside the ring and pretending the whole thing is real everywhere you go) has forced the "sport" to occupy an unusual position where everyone pretends everything is real 24/7 when everyone knows it's not, right down to children who watch the stuff on TV. You kinda have to double-talk around everything because even though it's common knowledge that the whole thing is fake and you're watching actors pretending to fight one another, the actors will pretend that it's real to the extent of not being seen having friendly chats with wrestlers who are supposed to be their in-character rivals. It's all a big act that everyone (even the audience) is participating in.

And we've only just hit the point where kayfabe is regularly dropped outside of performances. For much of pro wrestling's history, it really was supposed to be a secret that everything was staged and a lot of unsavory poo poo happened to keep it up. In the pre-internet days you could fake an injury to go wrestle overseas or take a break (in the earliest days of faked wrestling you could even wrestle in different parts of the US under different characters without being caught), but there's been cases of even the details of deaths being faked to avoid breaking kayfabe. Ella Waldek bodyslammed another female wrestler in 1951 and she dropped dead from aggravating an existing medical problem, but kayfabe meant she could never publicly speak about the accident or reveal that the wrestlers were co-workers pretending to beat the poo poo out of each other. She spent the next 20 years of her wrestling career being accused of murder by fans, who thought she was a bloodthirsty maniac killing people in the ring. It would take a good 50 years for her to finally be allowed to speak the truth in a documentary.

Copping to the games being fixed and professional wrestling being entertainment instead of sport was an inspired legal dodge when the writing was on the wall during serious legal investigations. Wrestlers being "entertainers" and not athletes lets them be treated pretty poorly health and safety-wise, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pvt.Scott posted:

Copping to the games being fixed and professional wrestling being entertainment instead of sport was an inspired legal dodge when the writing was on the wall during serious legal investigations. Wrestlers being "entertainers" and not athletes lets them be treated pretty poorly health and safety-wise, as well.

The health and wellness policy that they implemented in the wake of Benoit's death has helped with that considerably. And they aren't letting their big name wrestlers skimp out on it either. Romain Reigns just jobbed in their latest PPV so he would lose the title before his 30 day suspension for using drugs.

Most of the problem nowadays is with their writers, Cody Rhodes had a rather public fallout with WWE that resulted in him being allowed out of his contract because he felt the writers weren't using him properly. But even then there doesn't really seem to be any bad blood about it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pvt.Scott posted:

It wouldn't really matter if they were entertainers or athletes, it'd be more on the independent contractor status.

The wellness policy was a joke until Eddie died and got more teeth. It's not USADA harsh, but unless you pop for weed it's pretty harsh.

They have one of the better concussion policies especially compared to professional and college football.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wrestling is boring :(

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Pvt.Scott posted:

Theres also a lot of schaden to freude out of modern pro-wrestling. One of the big current backstage hot topics is the issue within the WWE where talent is considered independent contractors so corporate can cut cost by having them foot their own travel expenses. Only the heaviest pushed guys are all expenses paid.

And the near self-fulfilling prophecy with merchandise. For example, John Cena merch sells by the boat load. But John Cena merch also takes up the majority of the booth space. So does Cena merch move because of his popularity or because it's all anyone can buy at arenas to quiet their child? In Johns case it's definitely a mix of both. But you also have heels(bad guys) who may be the second most popular talent, but because old data says heel merch sell like bags of dog poo poo, their items might not even be available at all.

There was one parent who took to Twitter a year or two ago, saying that their child wanted a Randy Orton shirt, but there weren't any at all at the booth. When talent gets a cut of merch sales large enough to be considered a huge pay raise, this causes issues backstage.

Ryback made a pseudo manifesto about his backstage feelings months back, how winners are paid more than those who lose to make them winners, when it's an entirely scripted environment where both players matter.

New Japan also has massive issues that has causes their top acts jump ship to the WWE because of more favorable merch deals. NJPW basically doesn't give talent cuts on merch at all.

Skaw has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Jun 30, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
How is any of that unexpected or different than any other market that preys on devotees' aspirations to being a career?

Anyways, pro wrestling is indeed entertainment, except it's not at all entertaining. If you want some good schaden check out Vince McMahon's congressional testimony about steroids from 2007 https://thinksteroids.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/vince-mcmahon-interview.pdf

Bonus freude from how his lawyer just demolishes the congresspeople.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
The wresting derail never really goes away it just seems to slow down for a few days between the pages of boring bullshit that nobody cares about.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

How is any of that unexpected or different than any other market that preys on devotees' aspirations to being a career?

Anyways, pro wrestling is indeed entertainment, except it's not at all entertaining. If you want some good schaden check out Vince McMahon's congressional testimony about steroids from 2007 https://thinksteroids.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/vince-mcmahon-interview.pdf

Bonus freude from how his lawyer just demolishes the congresspeople.

Can you give us a high level overview of what he says?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Jastiger posted:

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Schadenfreude Thread: getting under it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9NLxlATUJQ

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Jastiger posted:

"I don't know if steroids are bad."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Back in 2012, I was on the cast for Halloween Horror Nights 22 at Universal Orlando. Because I'm 6'2 in tennis shoes, I was put on a street cast of robed, hooded monsters called Beasts where everyone had to be at least 6 feet to get in. There was one guy who was under 6 feet who I think was meant to be more "goblin-like" than the rest of us and was distinctively faster and lower to the ground than the others, but otherwise we were pretty drat tall.

Imagine my surprise when I looked at media pictures of myself and saw that I looked like a dwarf. Except for the one short dude, everyone else was 6'5 or above and at least one was over 7 feet tall. It helped that we had an Air Force vet and a Marine vet on our cast and several other guys had muscle to go with it, so a bunch of them were built like Brock Lesnar. I was towering over a lot of the guests I was scaring, but in group photos I looked like a skinny child.

Being in a mosh pit at a Tool concert was a learning experience for me. I'm 6'4" and I felt like a dwarf.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

syscall girl posted:

Being in a mosh pit at a Tool concert was a learning experience for me. I'm 6'4" and I felt like a dwarf.

jesus christ, congrats on surviving that mosh pit

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Short Penguin posted:

jesus christ, congrats on surviving that mosh pit

If you want the scoot and fruity I was so high on acid I wore sandals

My feet were burger

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jastiger posted:

He and his lawyers take over the entire congressional hearing and give them the run around to an insane degree.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

chitoryu12 posted:

It's always slightly terrifying when you see a pro wrestler have to defend themselves for real, and you realize just how much they're pulling their punches and coordinating their throws and slams to avoid hurting anyone.

Seriously; that dude got flipped onto his head like he was nothing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

syscall girl posted:

The one really good thing about having such a huge cast of guys is that we suffered the least harassment out of any actors. HHN is notorious for cast and crew being harassed all the way up to nightly assault and battery from drunks and psychopaths, but because we were so universally large we only had a few cases of it.

Schadenfreudey example: one of my castmates (a firefighter in his day job) turned around after being shoved just in time to see a fist coming for his nose. It was a completely unprovoked attack by a guy who thought it would be cool to punch an employee in the face. By the time any of our coordinators arrived at the scene, they had to pull him off the guest to keep him from breaking any bones. Normally putting hands on a guest even in self-defense causes Universal's HR department to suffer a collective heart attack and blacklist you for life, but the management who witnessed it all agreed that it was well-deserved and just quietly "forgot" to tell anyone higher up.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

The one really good thing about having such a huge cast of guys is that we suffered the least harassment out of any actors. HHN is notorious for cast and crew being harassed all the way up to nightly assault and battery from drunks and psychopaths, but because we were so universally large we only had a few cases of it.

Schadenfreudey example: one of my castmates (a firefighter in his day job) turned around after being shoved just in time to see a fist coming for his nose. It was a completely unprovoked attack by a guy who thought it would be cool to punch an employee in the face. By the time any of our coordinators arrived at the scene, they had to pull him off the guest to keep him from breaking any bones. Normally putting hands on a guest even in self-defense causes Universal's HR department to suffer a collective heart attack and blacklist you for life, but the management who witnessed it all agreed that it was well-deserved and just quietly "forgot" to tell anyone higher up.

Hahaha

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I feel sort of bad about doing this once. I was at a haunted house when I was like 11 and there was a dark hallway where... I guess you were supposed to turn left. I turned right into some kind of curtain, it wouldn't move, so I started bodyslamming and punching it to catch up with my friends. Turns out it was just an employee in black blocking off the other end of the hallway, he shoved me and said "go the other way."

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ringu0 posted:

Schadenfreude Thread: getting under it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9NLxlATUJQ

I was seriously expecting a car to come in on the left and smash into that barrier.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Scyantific posted:

I was seriously expecting a car to come in on the left and smash into that barrier.

I was sort of expecting a 2nd train after the guy went past the barrier.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sometimes, your imagination is better than any possible reality.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Sagebrush posted:

Looks like a cave painting of buffalos.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Sagebrush posted:

Wow, the Attitude Era was amazing for all the wrong reasons.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Data Graham posted:

There's a group photo I can't find anymore of a bunch of those World's Strongest Men guys, twenty or thirty big beefy slabs of meat and one little guy in a suit, about a foot shorter than all of them, standing right in the middle.

Guy in my office who found it was like "Who's that scrawny guy in the middle?" and it was Arnold Schwarzenegger

Hello.
You may recognize The Mountain next to Arnie, but the biggest guy is Brian Shaw (in the black cap), who is 6'8" and 450lbs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Malachi Constant posted:

"Engineering here, we're experiencing fluctuations in the gravitational plating, captain."

http://i.imgur.com/e8Aw6h6.gifv

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Jul 1, 2016

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

http://i.imgur.com/uI3cyd8.gifv

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's :smith: for my friend, but given the title of the thread, there's some schaden from it:

quote:

My hometown has a decorative gate. Trucks do not fit through. Every few years someone hits it, but it usually only knocks off a few stones.
This is much worse.

e: oh gently caress me, I didn't even notice the sign in the first one.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 04:36 on Jul 1, 2016

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

e: oh gently caress me, I didn't even notice the sign in the first one.
Well at least you know you're not the only one.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The monsoon-induced turbulence in water is being blamed for the accident.

monsoon-induced turbulence

yeah...

http://www.newscrunch.in/2016/06/panaji-mayor-surendra-furtado-falls.html

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

RIP Checkov. :saddowns:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Failarmies to help rerail the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZzYD54xxX4 SO MANY BALLS, SO MANY FAILS. Also slightly NSFW due to bikini butt in the last one. I watch em on mute so no idea about the language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg86emJjbwk MAN'S BEST FRIEND FAILS AT THINGS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFO7YIK79So Haven't watched this one yet, but hey, it's failarmy so it's bound to be good.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFO7YIK79So Haven't watched this one yet, but hey, it's failarmy so it's bound to be good.

Wow. Pro click. This might be the single best weekly compilation they've had. The shark attack opening is a thing of beauty.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MisterBibs posted:

It's :smith: for my friend, but given the title of the thread, there's some schaden from it:

:wtc:

Hitting a normal‐rear end bridge is understandable. It’s dumb, but I can see how a person could become complacent and do it.

But this absolutely does not look like an opening a truck would fit through.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chichevache posted:

Wow. Pro click. This might be the single best weekly compilation they've had. The shark attack opening is a thing of beauty.

Oh man, I love the guy in the stands at 4:06 :v:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Chichevache posted:

"Ryan's going to kick me really hard in the back with light tubes taped to his feet"

And then he's lying there in pain. What did he think was going to happen? Thank you random idiots for deciding to do these things, the people who pay no money to enjoy it appreciate it.

The little kid with the piano playing himself off was pretty great too.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Memento posted:

"Ryan's going to kick me really hard in the back with light tubes taped to his feet"

This one I didn't like. I doubt those idjits cleaned up every little bit of broken glass on a playground.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Fluoro tubes were real popular in pro-wrestling deathmatches and then backyard wrestling which is no doubt what those kids were trying to emulate.

Edit: here's a taste, there's a whooooole bunch of youtube videos if anyone wants to see this in action

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 13:36 on Jul 1, 2016

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
So how many different kinds of cancer will they be dying from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Say Nothing posted:

Hello.
You may recognize The Mountain next to Arnie, but the biggest guy is Brian Shaw (in the black cap), who is 6'8" and 450lbs.

Sweet, thanks. Saving it this time.