Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stacks
Apr 22, 2016
The Force Awakens was indisputably a film made by committee meant to make the audience feel nostalgic for the OT. It's OK because Abrams excels at making exciting blockbusters movies. I love the brisk pace of TFA.

That said, if the other SW movies use the same template it'll be disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

I think it's fair to consider Cameron's opinion considering he was responsible for a number of iconic scifi movies.

I do think it's rather unfair to pit a single film against two trilogies in terms of innovative design, especially when said film focuses on resolving post-OT questions instead of establishing grand new environments and locations (although Starkiller and Jakku are still pretty great in this regard).

If we toss in Rogue One, for example, we see a lot of new creative elements because it gets to play with wholly unexplored territory.

Wait, you are claiming that TFA had less room for creativity, since it covers NEW material, while Rogue One, by covering a time period where the visual aesthetic is more set, has MORE?

I mean. Uh.

Do you have t-shirts and caps printed out that say "I STAND WITH TFA"? Because that is utterly backward and illogically defensive thinking. It's unfair to expect a new film covering new ground to do new things?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

rear end Catchcum posted:

And wowzers that some old white dude sided with his other white dude friend. "I liked when the movies had longer shots. Of white people."

This is a baaad post my dude

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

rear end Catchcum posted:

That's fine I'm not going to listen to a taylor swift interview where she comments on queens of the Stone Age just because they happen to work in the same medium.
Why?

Are you concerned that she might express something to make you feel differently about either her or QOTSA?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Hat Thoughts posted:

This is a baaad post my dude

When James Cameron's eaten by an alligator he'll get no sympathy from me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you don't like Avatar and SW movies this genre is probably not for you.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

homullus posted:

Wait, you are claiming that TFA had less room for creativity, since it covers NEW material, while Rogue One, by covering a time period where the visual aesthetic is more set, has MORE?

I mean. Uh.

Do you have t-shirts and caps printed out that say "I STAND WITH TFA"? Because that is utterly backward and illogically defensive thinking. It's unfair to expect a new film covering new ground to do new things?

It had less available as a result of the character focus, which involves a general, a smuggler, a desert survivor, and imperial children. Those characters demand specific environments, which we get.

Rogue One focuses on an aspect of the OT that isn;'t heavily developed; rebel espionage, imperial citizens being alienated, and the environments that create the Empire's war machines. As far as we've seen none of the characters are established figures that demand certain environments.

Obviously you could argue that they shouldn't have focused on the prior cast and their children, and I would not deny that it was a cautious decision, but I feel like they do well in using them to advance the generational story. And I find the new environments imaginitive enough to give me hope for the rest of the trilogy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

If you don't like Avatar and SW movies this genre is probably not for you.

There's a whole other side of the genre that you're dismissing here. Its very possible to love movies like 2001, Brazil, Moon and more recently stuff like Ex Machina and Under the Skin, without being into some of these bigger franchises like Star Wars and Avatar.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
2001 is another amazing movie not edited by an ADD child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-QFj59PON4

Although the Beyond the Infinite sequence is a lot crazier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou6JNQwPWE0

Edit: Actually, comparing the Stargate sequence of 2001 with the vision sequence in TFA, you actually get to see the crazy stuff in 2001 without needing to pause the video while in TFA it all goes so fast most people have no loving clue what happened.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 30, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

It had less available as a result of the character focus, which involves a general, a smuggler, a desert survivor, and imperial children. Those characters demand specific environments, which we get.

Rogue One focuses on an aspect of the OT that isn;'t heavily developed; rebel espionage, imperial citizens being alienated, and the environments that create the Empire's war machines. As far as we've seen none of the characters are established figures that demand certain environments.

Obviously you could argue that they shouldn't have focused on the prior cast and their children, and I would not deny that it was a cautious decision, but I feel like they do well in using them to advance the generational story. And I find the new environments imaginitive enough to give me hope for the rest of the trilogy.

No, I don't think that's right. ESB and RotJ were both inheriting even more than TFA did, and each showed a great deal more novelty. The characters those movies focused on did not affect their ability to be visually imaginative.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

No, I don't think that's right. ESB and RotJ were both inheriting even more than TFA did, and each showed a great deal more novelty. The characters those movies focused on did not affect their ability to be visually imaginative.

The whole premise is flawed. Just because there is a smuggler, a desert survivor, and imperials, the environments are required to have a specific look? Says who?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neurolimal posted:

Even presuming this is true, nothing about TFA necessitated that it contain those specific characters. The producers, screenwriters, and all chose to have it be about those characters. They could have just as easily made the film about different characters, and have different environments as a result.

Neurolimal posted:

Most of those aspects have been developed, but in the PT.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The hero's journey has to start in a desert, because

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The desert is harsh but pure, and like a cleansing fire the hot sun forges raw and strong heroes.

Incidentally I live in the desert. :cool:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mace Windu (Sam Jackson) apparently didn't die at all and George Lucas said he approves.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3984612...-is-still-alive

https://twitter.com/SamuelLJackson/status/746766223354953728

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its really not that far-fetched. He could have just grabbed onto a flying car like Anakin did.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He got electrocuted pretty hard.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

He got electrocuted pretty hard.

So did Luke in RotJ.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So did Luke!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress lmao.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Luke has a way higher saving throw against electrical storms due to his class.
Come on now guys.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I mean we see Palpatine get electrocuted himself pretty heavily, Mace just takes a small blast and falls out the window. A Jedi with his abilities being dead from that is less likely than if he lived.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Here's a really long shot from a film that takes place in a desert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWq9yOiVe8w

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
That whole "Mace Windu is still alive " thing has already been debunked as just fan speculation and the like.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

So did Luke in RotJ.

Palpatine was intentionally drawing things out so he could torture Luke. With Mace he just went instantly for the kill shot.

Vintersorg posted:

Mace Windu (Sam Jackson) apparently didn't die at all and George Lucas said he approves.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3984612...-is-still-alive

https://twitter.com/SamuelLJackson/status/746766223354953728

For the record, George Lucas did not say he approves.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I think James Cameron is the Proto-Abrams.

If you think Cameron's movies are truly in-depth and original consider his most iconic movies are sequels, romantic remakes, or an adult version of Fern Gully.

Not to say they aren't entertaining and good movies, but JJ makes the same films and is going down the same career path fast.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

dialhforhero posted:

If you think Cameron's movies are truly in-depth and original consider his most iconic movies are sequels, romantic remakes, or an adult version of Fern Gully.

Not to say they aren't entertaining and good movies, but JJ makes the same films and is going down the same career path fast.

That's really not being fair. One of the sequels I assume you're talking about is T2, a sequel to his own groundbreaking original. Then of course Aliens, which is so highly regarded because of how expertly Cameron changed the original's formula.

I'm not sure if you're referring to Titanic as a "romantic remake", but that movie was an incredibly ambitious and risky project. And we're not even discussing True Lies or The Abyss.

Lets wait 10 years or so and we'll see what Abrams reputation is, because already his Star Trek films are fading into the background, nobody really thinks they were that good anymore.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 30, 2016

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

General Dog posted:

The hero's journey has to start in a desert, because

I wouldn't have a problem with it starting in the desert if the remaining featured locations weren't two boring, indistinct Green Planets followed by Hoth-Except-With-Some-Trees-This-Time.

And yeah, it's true that there's nothing in the hero's journey that says it has to start in the desert and there has to be a MacGuffin hidden in a droid and the enemies have to be Imperials flying around in TIE fighters and there has to be an X-wing assault on a planet-destroying superweapon at the end etc. etc. etc.

dialhforhero posted:

Weak.

Basebf555 posted:

That's really not being fair. One of the sequels I assume you're talking about is T2, a sequel to his own groundbreaking original. Then of course Aliens, which is so highly regarded because of how expertly Cameron changed the original's formula.

I'm not sure if you're referring to Titanic as a "romantic remake", but that movie was an incredibly ambitious and risky project. And we're not even discussing True Lies or The Abyss.

Lets wait 10 years or so and we'll see what Abrams reputation is, because already his Star Trek films are fading into the background, nobody really thinks they were that good anymore.

J.J. Abrams literally directed The Movie Event of a Generation™. Given that stark fact, it's hard to see how he's not one of the most consequential and beloved filmmakers of all time.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 30, 2016

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Cnut the Great posted:

Palpatine was intentionally drawing things out so he could torture Luke. With Mace he just went instantly for the kill shot.

For the record, George Lucas did not say he approves.

George Lucas sold Star Wars so his opinion is no longer relevant.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Yaws posted:

George Lucas sold Star Wars so his opinion is no longer relevant.

True, but I wasn't aware that Samuel L. Jackson was now the new owner of Star Wars. I think you'll find the owners of Star Wars now are actually the stockholders of Disney.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

"Uh sure Sam, Mace Windu is still alive. It's irrelevant because in all likelihood the new Star Wars movies will never acknowledge the prequels in any meaningful way, but yeah, he totally survived that fall!"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Even if he survived he would be like 120-ish by TFA. Do Jedi live longer than the average person?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Even if he survived he would be like 120-ish by TFA. Do Jedi live longer than the average person?

Yoda is like 900 so yeah

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Yaws posted:

Yoda is like 900 so yeah

Yoda is an alien.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Cnut the Great posted:

Yoda is an alien.

That's just what humans look like when they're 900. This is canon.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

Yoda is an alien.

It's a galaxy far far away. They're all aliens.

Ferrinus posted:

When James Cameron's eaten by an alligator he'll get no sympathy from me.

I appreciate this reference.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

None of that says anything about his movies or how they have anything to do with Abrams movies

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Yaws posted:

"Uh sure Sam, Mace Windu is still alive. It's irrelevant because in all likelihood the new Star Wars movies will never acknowledge the prequels in any meaningful way, but yeah, he totally survived that fall!"

Let's all ignore the fact that Rogue One has a literal prequel-era Clone Wars cartoon character in it

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

Let's all ignore the fact that Rogue One has a literal prequel-era Clone Wars cartoon character in it

Agreed on ignoring that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Filmmakers often have interesting things to say about films.

I feel that Episode VIII is more likely to make direct narrative reference to the prequels than Rogue One is, because Rogue One appears to be consciously invoking pre-Prequels ideas about the rise of the Empire, what with James Earl Jones reprising his role as the voice modulator that Anakin Skywalker uses when killing mercilessly, whereas Episode VIII is inheriting a plotline that is heavily linked to the actual motivations of that character.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That's just what humans look like when they're 900. This is canon.

Yoda is a muppet. His parents are Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy.

• Locked thread