Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Ohhh. Okay then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rygar201 posted:

New one!

Also new Gumroad PDFs.
It took Rich far too long to figure out that "a niche fanbase that's not big enough to make mainstream publishing really worth it on the profit margins, but is still wildly dedicated and will throw money at you given the opportunity" is exactly the problem digital publishing was created to solve, but at least now that he figured it out he's sticking to it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wow the ravine is a lot larger than I thought it was. Look at all those doors in the background of the last panel.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

ConfusedUs posted:

Wow the ravine is a lot larger than I thought it was. Look at all those doors in the background of the last panel.

Huh, looks like it curves around too.

Also interesting is the fact that O-Chul has a "let's call it a theory" about the MitD. (Besides "a good man", because he says "if I told him".)

O-Chul seems old enough that he'd remember Stardust.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The Super Wizard definitely has all the powers we've seen the MitD use. Good thinking.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Green Intern posted:

The Super Wizard definitely has all the powers we've seen the MitD use. Good thinking.

What super wizard?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardust_the_Super_Wizard

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Apocron posted:

What super wizard?

Stardust the Super Wizard, a character from a terrible old comic book.

I used to think MitD was a Protean, because it fits everything we've seen the MitD do reasonably well. It doesn't fit some of the things other characters have said very well, though, especially in recent strips. The emphasis on how much bigger it will be when it's older, for example, even though the Protean is only Large. And while it's a throwaway joke not directly involving MitD, Redcloak whining that about going through a lot of work to find out if psionics even existed in OotSverse doesn't make much sense if he hangs out with a psionic monster. Also, Spot +55, but it can't notice the Gates? And while detect thoughts explains how it deduces things (e.g., that the ritual was in two parts) that it has no real way of knowing, it has weird implications for the way it interacts with other characters.

The easy explanation for much of this is that other characters glimpsed it when it was in a particular form and thus thought it was something other than a Protean, although that feels like cheating.

Edit: Just read the entry again, and I guess Advancement means that it can grow to be Huge eventually.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Silver2195 posted:

Stardust the Super Wizard, a character from a terrible old comic book.

I used to think MitD was a Protean, because it fits everything we've seen the MitD do reasonably well. It doesn't fit some of the things other characters have said very well, though, especially in recent strips. The emphasis on how much bigger it will be when it's older, for example, even though the Protean is only Large. And while it's a throwaway joke not directly involving MitD, Redcloak whining that about going through a lot of work to find out if psionics even existed in OotSverse doesn't make much sense if he hangs out with a psionic monster. Also, Spot +55, but it can't notice the Gates? And while detect thoughts explains how it deduces things (e.g., that the ritual was in two parts) that it has no real way of knowing, it has weird implications for the way it interacts with other characters.

The easy explanation for much of this is that other characters glimpsed it when it was in a particular form and thus thought it was something other than a Protean, although that feels like cheating.

Edit: Just read the entry again, and I guess Advancement means that it can grow to be Huge eventually.

Oh dang, you're right. But I think all the top choices for MitD are psionic critters. That's concerning.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Oh dang, you're right. But I think all the top choices for MitD are psionic critters. That's concerning.

There's a lot of things that come close to fitting but have at least one glaring flaw. The glabrezu, for example, has "penetrating violet eyes."

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

ikanreed posted:

If Redcloak doesn't know MitD is psionic he could still have trouble telling if psionics exist. It's not like he was going to ask MitD.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I'm telling you, Stardust is the only logical explanation. How does he manipulate multiple objects at once? Attractor rays. Why didn't he leave footprints? Tubular spacial. Why does everyone expect him to get bigger? Because Stardust's proportions vary wildly from panel to panel. How could he make V and O-Chul disappear? Stardust can do literally anything as an ironic punishment for evildoers, and killstealing from Xykon is close enough for that to kick in.

It all fits.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't think I'm ready for a stick figure Stardust (the Super Wizard).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't think I'm ready for a stick figure Stardust (the Super Wizard).

Have mercy!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Protean chat
To be fair, the Protean can basically assume any size it wants because Alter Shape is a hilariously versatile ability. Additionally, I've gotten the sense that whatever the MitD is it's not fully aware of the crazy stuff it can do. Hence whatever its form, any weird poo poo it can do but hasn't is just in the big collection of "it hadn't tried that yet".

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

NGDBSS posted:

To be fair, the Protean can basically assume any size it wants because Alter Shape is a hilariously versatile ability. Additionally, I've gotten the sense that whatever the MitD is it's not fully aware of the crazy stuff it can do. Hence whatever its form, any weird poo poo it can do but hasn't is just in the big collection of "it hadn't tried that yet".

Aren't Proteans super chaotic, though? Wouldn't that suggest the MITD would be terrible at Go, which he clearly isn't?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kruller posted:

Aren't Proteans super chaotic, though? Wouldn't that suggest the MITD would be terrible at Go, which he clearly isn't?

I don't know that someones skills at board games is alignment dependent.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't know that someones skills at board games is alignment dependent.

I think they mean it's outsider planar alignment where it starts loving with your ability to interact with reality. The way imp wouldn't have been able to go back on a promise.

There's being Durkon, and being an uptight stickler for the rules, and then there's being an auton where your every behavior is dictated by cosmic rules.

In the same way, there's being Haley who never feels compelled to follow the rules when she can cheat, and then there's being a protean or slaad for whom the very idea of following rules in a game is an anathema.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ikanreed posted:

I think they mean it's outsider planar alignment where it starts loving with your ability to interact with reality. The way imp wouldn't have been able to go back on a promise.

There's being Durkon, and being an uptight stickler for the rules, and then there's being an auton where your every behavior is dictated by cosmic rules.

In the same way, there's being Haley who never feels compelled to follow the rules when she can cheat, and then there's being a protean or slaad for whom the very idea of following rules in a game is an anathema.

By the same token, couldn't it chaotically decided to follow the rules?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Part of the mitd's arc is the realization he doesn't have to be the way other people would pigeonhole him to be, so alignment in his case is entirely moot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ikanreed posted:

Unless they follow the rules anyway cause they don't have to follow the rules of not following the rules. (CHAOS)

Edit: poo poo beaten.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Raenir Salazar posted:

By the same token, couldn't it chaotically decided to follow the rules?

That would make sense to a chaotic person. To a creature of pure chaos, rules themselves are (often interpreted as) inherently impossible to understand.

All of this is very silly, and I'm mostly playing devil's advocate(kinda literally), but it's the whole capital E Evil versus lower case evil for a good cause thing. One is based in the reality of the concept and the other is the literally impossible distilled essence.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Proteans kind of sound like the Snarl itself:

"Slithering creatures of pure chaos, proteans claim they were the masters of the multiverse before the first gods created the other planes from the pure chaos of the primeval beginnings. They seek to tear down the multiverse and restore it to its original chaotic form."

Having the MitD be an unknowing spawn of The Protean-Above-All would be kind of fitting.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Goffer posted:

Proteans kind of sound like the Snarl itself:

"Slithering creatures of pure chaos, proteans claim they were the masters of the multiverse before the first gods created the other planes from the pure chaos of the primeval beginnings. They seek to tear down the multiverse and restore it to its original chaotic form."

Having the MitD be an unknowing spawn of The Protean-Above-All would be kind of fitting.

I've always believed the theory that the MitD is a baby Snarl. If he's some random, beefy monster from a 20 year-old splatbook, the reveal doesn't have any emotional or narrative significance. The reveal has to have meaning for ordinary readers of the story, not just hyper-nerds like us who speculate about its identity. If the MitD is a nightmare beast or a protean, it would come out of nowhere and mean nothing to 95% of the strip's readers. The Snarl, by contrast, has been set up over the course of the story as a big scary thing that could destroy the world. If the MitD is related to it, and he's actually "a good man," that's simple and dramatically satisfying for both rules nerds and normal people.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I've always believed the theory that the MitD is a baby Snarl. If he's some random, beefy monster from a 20 year-old splatbook, the reveal doesn't have any emotional or narrative significance. The reveal has to have meaning for ordinary readers of the story, not just hyper-nerds like us who speculate about its identity. If the MitD is a nightmare beast or a protean, it would come out of nowhere and mean nothing to 95% of the strip's readers. The Snarl, by contrast, has been set up over the course of the story as a big scary thing that could destroy the world. If the MitD is related to it, and he's actually "a good man," that's simple and dramatically satisfying for both rules nerds and normal people.

Except it's not actually satisfying for the rules nerds because the rules nerds have all been trying to figure out what it is, based on the clues provided in the strip and taking Rich at his word when he says it's an actual monster from an actual sourcebook and not just something he made up for the story.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Do sourcebooks bring up baby gods?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

That's what most of the Abominations in the Epic Level Handbook are, after a fashion.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I think it's quite likely that the MitD is related to the Snarl in some fashion, but here's the thing: we don't know what the Snarl really is, either.

Presuming that there is a relationship between the two, then revealing that the MitD is some specific monster from an old splatbook would be meaningful, because it would in turn shed some light on just what the Snarl is.

MikeJF posted:

There is a monster called an Atropal that's something similar. I remember it was considered a possible candidate for a while, but I think it was eventually discounted for being too overtly antithetical to life.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ponsonby Britt posted:

this is also a really good point

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Guys guys guys.

He's the Dark One.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

the JJ posted:

Guys guys guys.

He's the Dark One.

A divine avatar!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MikeJF posted:

d&d 5e got Empyreans, gods' babies. They are titan sized and have tons of bullshit powers, like buff for everyone around in a 120 feet range. They got a "Trembling Strike", they strike the ground and everyone go prone in a 60 feet range. Innate spell casting includes Earthquake, Planeshift and Fire storm, Pretty badass but it's 5e and far taller then the creature. Also their emotions influence the weather.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Ponsonby Britt posted:

In SoD, there are hunters who recognize his species. The Snarl being a big secret would be somewhat at odds with that.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Another way to make the MitD's reveal matter: inside one of the many doors, he'll finally be reunited with his mom and/or dad.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I mean it's gonna matter because it will be at the moment he realizes he doesn't have to be in the darkness because has no real reason to listen to what Xykon tells him.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The monster on the dark is a human.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The MitD is a Flumph with more templates than the "illogical glory" snail.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
"holds up reflective Time Magazine cover"

The MitD is you!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Heatwizard posted:

In SoD, there are hunters who recognize his species. The Snarl being a big secret would be somewhat at odds with that.

I'm not certain that it would. The very fact that the Snarl is a big secret would mean that even the people who know recognize the MotD's species wouldn't know it's significance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm not certain that it would. The very fact that the Snarl is a big secret would mean that even the people who know recognize the MotD's species wouldn't know it's significance.

They didn't just recognize "hey a weird thing" they, they knew enough to call it the wrong habitat for him to be in.