Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Trundel posted:

I'm not too familiar with Battletech besides how the game functions, could you give examples of what an acceptable demand would be for some of those options?

edit: I don't want to undersell it, that update was great. So now the Rim World has their fleet positioned to bury the clan transports in fighters, right?

Yea, the Rim Worlders are about to wipe out the only way the clan ground forces have to get out of this star system. I think they (clans) still have their dropships, since it was mentioned that only a couple were still in orbit, but that means they aren't leaving if Amaris doesn't want them to leave.

I guess an important question too is what the clans are challenging the Demon Hawks to- A fight to the death? Getting taken prisoner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, the Rim Worlders are about to wipe out the only way the clan ground forces have to get out of this star system. I think they (clans) still have their dropships, since it was mentioned that only a couple were still in orbit, but that means they aren't leaving if Amaris doesn't want them to leave.

I guess an important question too is what the clans are challenging the Demon Hawks to- A fight to the death? Getting taken prisoner?

They don't get to pick. They challenged us, we get to set the terms. It's like a gentlemanly southern duel.

[EDIT]Oh man, could we actually challenge them to a regular old timey duel and then just bring those assault needlers that are on fire someone was talking about?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So I take it that literally no-one but our protagonists has any idea just what the gently caress happened? Like Amaris said, I think this is the first recorded case of one Jumpship telefragging another.

Those Clanners have got to be collectively making GBS threads themselves right about now, we just Alt-F4ed their flagship from existence.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 1, 2016

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Challenge them to an Inferno match, only flamers.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Was that an intrasystem jump by the Rim Worlds Jumpship that destroyed the McKenna? How did they know when to jump if they were incoming from another system?

Asking the important questions here.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

1B) Not no but HELL NO

They don't come to us, we come for them. Let's not sink to their level.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 2, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Saint Celestine posted:

Was that an intrasystem jump by the Rim Worlds Jumpship that destroyed the McKenna? How did they know when to jump if they were incoming from another system?

HPGs are faster than light and synchronized clocks. Which may not work in practice due to time-travel shenanigans but the RWR is explicitly studying hyperspace to presumably something's working the way it should be.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Saint Celestine posted:

HPGs are FTL communication (and therefore violate causality, but then, so do jumpships). Once Amaris could plot a predictable vector for the McKenna (much easier to do when a ship has taken up an orbit, and even more so when it's only a thinly viable orbital path through a lot of dangerous debris that surrounds that path), the HPG could send the coordinate and vector plot for the McKenna, and then the suicide ship jumps using that data ASAP.

It's a fantastically expensive suicide bomb you wouldn't use against small jumpships, but taking out a capital ship for the cost of your smallest jumpship is worth it.

e. F, beaten.

So I'll just point out also that radio, being exactly the same form of electromagnetic energy as light, travels at light speed: so if you're 3 light hours from the planet, you absolutely can get news from that planet in exactly three hours. Plus however long it takes someone to talk into a microphone.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dis astranagant posted:

Not no but HELL NO

They don't come to us, we come for them. Let's not sink to their level.

Yeah gently caress em. Voting no. We're mercenaries, we kill for pay.

Though voting yes, then picking a field with a buried nuke under it and sending a bunch of cargo loaders or w/e does have a sneaky appeal.

E: ptn are you able to let us know what difference if any the additional minute would have made?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh the ancient re-discovered art of Telefragging :allears:

Voting No for the vote if only because I'm having a hard time coming up with something amusing to challenge the Clans to/bid for.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

So I'll just point out also that radio, being exactly the same form of electromagnetic energy as light, travels at light speed: so if you're 3 light hours from the planet, you absolutely can get news from that planet in exactly three hours. Plus however long it takes someone to talk into a microphone.

They're more than three hours away and presumably the WarShips are using directional transmissions which would take a little longer to set up.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm guessing the successful telefragging is the result of the Demon Hawks being able to hold on for 6 turns before evacuating.

So now the real question is... what would have happened if we'd managed to defy the odds and pull off the full 12?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zaodai posted:

They don't get to pick. They challenged us, we get to set the terms. It's like a gentlemanly southern duel.

[EDIT]Oh man, could we actually challenge them to a regular old timey duel and then just bring those assault needlers that are on fire someone was talking about?

Yea, but I mean aren't challenges usually for a specific purpose?
Like,
angry clanner:"I challenge you to a trial of possession for that delicious pizza!"
Mercs: "OK, I accept, the trial will be competitive beer chugging."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

sebmojo posted:

E: ptn are you able to let us know what difference if any the additional minute would have made?

Why worry about what might have been?

Probably someone would've been captured and you'd have been forced to vote 'yes' for a chance to get them back

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm guessing the successful telefragging is the result of the Demon Hawks being able to hold on for 6 turns before evacuating.

So now the real question is... what would have happened if we'd managed to defy the odds and pull off the full 12?

I'm willing to bet the James McKenna would have moved into position early, giving us a front-row seat for the space wedgie.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Well, THAT was one hell of a way to handle things. And for Amaris, cost-effective. They probably just used $300-$400 million to destroy $21.4 billion. Good exchange, but that took a lot of guts.

Also 1A, hell yes, gotta kick the Clans while they're down. Offer to take on a cluster's worth of Mechs, and demand territory on their homeworld. Let's see if they're stupid enough to take that.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I, too, would like to know the alternative Amaris would give us if we declined the clans, if possible. I didn't see PTN answer this question.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ice Fist posted:

I, too, would like to know the alternative Amaris would give us if we declined the clans, if possible.

Back to business as usual. :shrug:

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
1B

Make it a casually dismissive refusal. The Clans aren't worth the effort of acknowledging their primitive traditions. No war but total war; that's the real Star League way.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Business as usual has been highly lucrative for the Demon Hawks so far, so once again I suggest that we tell the Clanners exactly where they can stick their challenge.

We're here to make bank and a name for ourselves, not to play their games.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, but I mean aren't challenges usually for a specific purpose?
Like,
angry clanner:"I challenge you to a trial of possession for that delicious pizza!"
Mercs: "OK, I accept, the trial will be competitive beer chugging."

In this case they're just challenging us for the honor of killing us. So a ToP for our lives and glory.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tempest_56 posted:

Well, THAT was one hell of a way to handle things. And for Amaris, cost-effective. They probably just used $300-$400 million to destroy $21.4 billion. Good exchange, but that took a lot of guts.

Also 1A, hell yes, gotta kick the Clans while they're down. Offer to take on a cluster's worth of Mechs, and demand territory on their homeworld. Let's see if they're stupid enough to take that.

P sure that's no in the scope of what a cluster could do. There's a decent chance that's not in the scope of what a single Clan can do without the homeworld clans devouring you both.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I suggest that if we wisely reject the Clan challenges, we send them the following as our response with no context:

The Clans love challenging people to trials and poo poo without explaining them. Why not send them a cat meme response without explaining it? gently caress 'em, right in the mind.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Depends if they've got any radioactive hellholes they're not using.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Would taking on the Khan and their Trinary be worth taking the Clan as bondsmen? I mean, if you won, you'd have effectively fought a Trial of Position, right? That's about the only way I'd vote yes.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

P sure that's no in the scope of what a cluster could do. There's a decent chance that's not in the scope of what a single Clan can do without the homeworld clans devouring you both.

A Clan could be challenged for a piece of its territory on Strana Mechty, but a merc unit of all things pulling that off would both humiliate the Clan tremendously and probably piss off all the other Clans. There'd be nothing stopping them from challenging everyone involved over and over again.

Coffeehitler posted:

Would taking on the Khan and their Trinary be worth taking the Clan as bondsmen? I mean, if you won, you'd have effectively fought a Trial of Position, right? That's about the only way I'd vote yes.

You can't fight a Trial of Position if you're not already a part of that Clan. All you'd end up doing is making their old saKhan the new Khan.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

yes, the 'no' has to be simultaneously contemptuous, dismissive, and confusing.

e: plot the course of the destroyed prow of the McKenna and say we will meet them at the place and time where it impacts the earth. Then don't show, obviously.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010
So Stefan Amaris VI is Christoph Waltz, right? That's the voice I heard while I was reading.

I like challenging a clan and bidding down to just Dadlass. But that's how the Clans work, not mercs. What I like for the mercs is: ask for money, rare expensive alcohol, women (sorry, casual 80s space misogyny, sadface), their best chefs & musicians & dancers, decadent holiday spaceships, right of passage to anywhere. Because mercs are here for a job, so if they're going all in they want a *retirement package*. And also confusing the poo poo out of the clans by caring about the things that their warriors don't, because let's not pretend that these mercs understand Clan bidding culture.

I think the actual response should be the casually dismissive 1B: ".... do you even have anything that we want?"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the key thing to understand about the Clanner system is that it has this veneer of fairness, what with bidding down your forces etc., but it's not actually fair at all. It's dumb system and if you decide to play in it you're going to get screwed.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Coffeehitler posted:

Bondsmen lose their rank, and a Trial of Position is usually against the other contenders for the position, rather than being a "you keep what you kill" Klingon style promotion.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Can we ask our pet clanners what the consequences of our casual/contemptuous refusal would be?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sebmojo posted:

Can we ask our pet clanners what the consequences of our casual/contemptuous refusal would be?

Same as they were otherwise. The Clans keep trying to kill us. What are they going to do about it? Go home? They have nothing to offer or anything to threaten. They'll just get butthurt.

In the Clan system, that's really your only option. If the other side refuses to come to your tea party, you get to sit and cry. At least outside of Clan Space where you can't have a trial of annihilation temper tantrum.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sebmojo posted:

We lose honor!

This is what the clan system really boils down to:
  • Win: you gain temporary victory, and bragging rights, and all honor to you
  • Lose: honorable death in combat, the true ending every right-minded Clan warrior desires
The key thing there is the "temporary" part, because winning does not prevent the next guy from challenging you again: in fact, the more you win, the more honor to be gained by whoever eventually kills you.

If you don't care about the honor of victory by trials, then the only thing you can gain is temporary loot or position or whatever, plus a bigger target painted on your back.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Accept 1 challenge and the other dozen won't stop til you take them all or they get scared after you take out all their betters.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

sebmojo posted:

I think it's pretty obvious that the units facing us would be even more crazed/enraged then they already are.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dis astranagant posted:

Accept 1 challenge and the other dozen won't stop til you take them all or they get scared after you take out all their betters.

Yeah, that's the gist of it isn't it. We're as king poo poo now as we're ever going to be, so why buy into their bullshit values?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
1B. gently caress off, Clanners.

So the James McKenna was the Flagship, wasn't it? So more or less every important Clan head honcho in the area was onboard that thing when it went up in flames?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ooh, 76 new posts! An update must hav-

*reads update*

ArbitraryTA posted:

:staredog:

holy loving poo poo Amaris

Um. Yup.

Jesus Christ.

And I thought the boomdoggies were already taking Clan trolling to a new level. I obviously wasn't thinking large-scale enough.

Coffeehitler posted:

The biggest Boom Doggie of them all.

Yeah, this.

sebmojo posted:

I'm thinking more of asking the bondsmen what we could theoretically ask for if we were to accept such a challenge. I'm still holding on to my vote for now until we can figure out if we can accept the challenge and bend the rules of engagement to our advantage.

I'm leaning towards rejecting as well, but wanted to see if we can try to match the epic trolljob Amaris has been doing to date. :getin:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
1B) No, your ships in system are being destroyed, we stand to gain nothing that we won't already be able to take from you by force. You are trapped here in a hell of your own making. Lay down arms and surrender, integrate into the NRWR republic, your clan will not come back for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Yes, and we fight a trinary.

Demands: I think we can ask for 15 pristine clan mechs if we win? also the mechwarrior in the hellstar from the airport raid must participate and will become and bondsman and stuff if we win.

We are greedy mercs, let us get some more sweet rear end clan tech mechs for ourselves.

• Locked thread