Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Israel/Turkey reapproachment is official. Turkey will launch humanitarian projects in Gaza, a pipeline deal is likely next.

Oh and it was weird that Yaalon's announcement wasn't covered here. This deal plus another election could actually portend progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

This is disgusting, especially considering that you know, 2000 years of pogroms and all. But hey, Jews have good economic outcomes in a handful of Anglophone countries so it totally totally makes up for it. Drink bleach.

The topic at hand is Israel, where Jewish people are the dominant majority. It's no different than using anti-black racism as a defense when discussing a dominant African ethnic group committing atrocities against a minority ethnic group in some African country. When discussing Israeli Jews and Palestinians as the two ethnic groups in question, historical anti-Jewish discrimination in Russia/Europe/the West is not particularly relevant. Ultimately Palestinians are the victims in the situation.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

It's no different than using anti-black racism as a defense when discussing a dominant African ethnic group committing atrocities against a minority ethnic group in some African country

What you're doing is no different than using violent strife in African countries to excuse or justify the spreading of the most noxious sort of racist garbage.

"Look at what's happening in Nigeria, so who cares if black people are described as a bunch of violent animals" is a racist statement. "Look at what Israelis are doing, so who cares if they say Jews poison wells" is an antisemitic one.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Except this is much less of any kind of a "Jews poison wells" thing and more "Some israelis literally poison wells and there's video evidence", unless your shithead shtick auto-translates israeli into jew and thus every negative action suggested that israelis take is actually seen being painted against all jews because we're all secretly terrible antisem-uuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhh.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Insect Court posted:

What you're doing is no different than using violent strife in African countries to excuse or justify the spreading of the most noxious sort of racist garbage.

"Look at what's happening in Nigeria, so who cares if black people are described as a bunch of violent animals" is a racist statement. "Look at what Israelis are doing, so who cares if they say Jews poison wells" is an antisemitic one.

You don't have very good reading comprehension. I was pointing out how different locations have different dynamics of racism. The fact that black people face racism in a large portion of the world does not excuse the genocide of the Tutsi. The same goes for antisemitism and Israel's crimes. Within their respective countries, both the Hutu (were) and Jewish people are the dominant majority.

This is especially true when specifically discussing Jewish Israelis in comparison to Palestinians. If you have to make a "black people in America" comparison, Palestinians are definitely the black people in that analogy (except even worse), not Jewish Israelis as you seem to think.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
The analogy doesn't work on any level, and in fact quite the opposite is true. Palestinians are surrounded by allies on all sides, and have partnered with those allies in three wars to attempt to destroy Israel, a campaign Hamas continues to this day. There's a legitimate threat of ethnic extermination, and given the rhetoric of groups like Hamas it's hard to draw any conclusion but they're indistinguishable from other anti-Semitic extermination movements. This does not justify or warrant Israeli excesses, but does explains their mindset.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah yes. Analogy chat.

This is well and truly worthless you guys. Here are the facts:
1. There are settlers, 100% of which happen to be jews, who poison and contaminate water holes and wells used by palestinians in the west bank. I posted video evidence of this in this very thread, not two pages ago.
2. Israeli authorities very rarely do anything about it, this is generally consistent with the way Israeli authorities generally don't do anything to settlers who commit crimes against palestinians.
3. Mahmoud Abbas made a claim that one certain Rabbi Mlma made a public call encouraging settlers to poison wells.
4. Mahmoud Abbas did not claim that all rabbis encourage well poisonings, he said that there was ONE rabbi who does so.
5. Abbas based his statements on a fake news article, who fabricated this story and to which ends is unknown. There is no Rabbi Mlma.
6. Upon learning that the article was fake Abbas issued an apology.

And thus: the only person who produced the statement "Jews poison wells" with the implication that well poisoning was something Jews commonly do is our very own The Insect Court, he's been arguing against a hasbara strawman of his own making. He is either stupid, trolling or lying (a combination of the latter two). This is it, Abbas did not make anti-Semitic statements, he did not accuse 'all jews' or 'all rabbis' or anything.

And yeah TIC if you are gonna come up with some crap about how saying "Some X do Y" is racist I'll stake mine own neck on this: There are imams encourage suicide attacks against civilians, There are imams who claim that Jews are inhuman. These are not islamophobic statements.

Enough of this bullshit now.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kim Jong Il posted:

The analogy doesn't work on any level, and in fact quite the opposite is true. Palestinians are surrounded by allies on all sides, and have partnered with those allies in three wars to attempt to destroy Israel, a campaign Hamas continues to this day. There's a legitimate threat of ethnic extermination, and given the rhetoric of groups like Hamas it's hard to draw any conclusion but they're indistinguishable from other anti-Semitic extermination movements. This does not justify or warrant Israeli excesses, but does explains their mindset.

Palestinians are surrounded by allies? They're mostly surrounded by Israeli, who are definitely not their allies, and especially they are surrounded by walls. And what allies they have! Egypt has been enforcing the Israeli blockade on Gaza.

But I do agree that there is a legitimate threat of ethnic extermination, against Palestinians, by Israeli.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kim Jong Il posted:

Palestinians are surrounded by Israel, and you have to be huffing glue if you think Israel is under threat of ethnic extermination and Palestinians are not.

I'll grant that Hamas uses lovely anti-Semitic rhetoric, but that is a lesser crime than engaging in actual, literal ethnic cleansing and a slew of other war crimes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

This is like saying that black South Africans were dominant in apartheid South Africa because they made up a majority of the population and many other African states disliked apartheid. Israel does not face any realistic threat from surrounding countries, and other Arab countries not liking Israel has virtually no impact on the lives of Israelis (or Palestinians for that matter). The only relevant domain in this situation is within Israel itself, and only a fool would argue that Israelis do not have vastly more power and don't actively disenfranchise Palestinians.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

You can't be loving serious.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Abbas has retracted the "well poisoning" accusation anyway, having issued a statement that the claims were found to be baseless and that he did not intend to harm or offend Jews with anti-Semitic slander.

Meanwhile, the rioting on the Temple Mount has escalated as it enters its second day, thanks to what is almost certainly a deliberate provocation at the hands of Israeli forces. It remains unclear what the most right-wing coalition in Israel's history intends to accomplish by challenging the Temple Mount status quo during the most important part of Ramadan.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Kim Jong Il posted:

Nope, you've obviously got no idea what you're talking about.

Palestine is surrounded by enemies. Firstly, there's Israel. Obvious enough.

Secondly there is Egypt. Egypt has been helping Israel enforce it's blockade and is anti-palestinian in governance because since the anti-Muslim brotherhood affiliated coup they are obviously not very keen on the Muslim Brotherhood affiliated Hamas.

Lastly there is Jordan, the Arab nation with probably the friendliest relations with Israel. Even back in 1948 Israel and Jordan came to a secret agreement to destroy a potential Palestinian state in the crib, agreeing for Jordan to instead annex the West Bank. Although there is popular support for Palestinians amongst the population as a whole, this isn't mirrored in the ruling class - especially since Black September.

Also which three wars are you talking about? The Israeli war of Independence, the 1982 Lebanon war if you squint really hard and don't mind how honest you are and then third and finally the '????????????' war. Suez and Six Day were Israeli attacks on Arab nations while Yom Kippor was a limited war with the intention to get Israel to end it's occupation of other country's land.

Lastly you're a loving idiot if you think that Hamas represents a legitimate threat of ethnic cleansing to Israel. Please tell us your fantastic Tom Clancyesque story of how Palestinians will destroy Israel. No-one with an ounce of sense in their heads and compassion in their hearts is worried about the ludicrous hypothetical threat of Hamas ethnically cleansing the Israelis when the Israelis have been ethnically cleansing the Palestinians for decades and are still currently doing so.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I'm pretty sure the argument usually then goes 'ah ha! But they would if they could so we must always prevent them any means of doing so'. This of course means grinding even the idea of cooperation with and support of a truly functioning Palestinian state into the dust. It also means that if someone holds that idea in their head there is essentially no arguing with them because in this kind of sick realpolitik, emiseration and slow, grinding ethnic cleansing of the Palestinians is the only possible logical step.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

In addition to everything team overhead smash said, isn't it basically an open secret that israel has partial diplomatic relations with iran? On top of their currently existing treaties/alliances. Essentially the only regional states that aren't on good terms with israel are currently too hosed up internally to really do anything about the current state of the occupation or the balance of power, viz syria and lebanon.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Ultramega posted:

In addition to everything team overhead smash said, isn't it basically an open secret that israel has partial diplomatic relations with iran? On top of their currently existing treaties/alliances. Essentially the only regional states that aren't on good terms with israel are currently too hosed up internally to really do anything about the current state of the occupation or the balance of power, viz syria and lebanon.

Not really. Iran bankroll Hezbollah you know.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
There's been quite a bit of right-wing opposition to the Turkey deal. First of all, it stipulates apologizing for the Mavi Marmara killings and paying reparations to the families of those killed - which flies in the face of Israeli rhetoric about the "terror flotilla" that came to attack Israelis. Now the right accuses Netanyahu of paying off terrorists and apologizing for defending the country, while the left is proclaiming this as a tacit admission that the flotilla was actually peaceful and that the government has been lying about it for years. The right also takes issue with the fact that the deal does not include banning Hamas from Turkey and completely severing relations with them, and that the deal does not include returning the bodies of two IDF soldiers who died in the 2014 Gaza war, as well as two missing mentally-ill Israelis who are assumed to have wandered into Gaza on their own.

In other news, the funeral of Esti Weinstein, a woman from a high-profile haredi family who left the community and went secular, has stirred up the conflict between secular and religious in Israel, largely due to the circumstances of her death. She committed suicide - and in her suicide note said that she could not longer bear to be completely ostracized and cut off from her family, including six of her seven daughters, circumstances that drove many to recall
her tell-all book about why she abandoned religous life.

quote:

Esti Weinstein, 50, was discovered at the Hakshatot Beach in the coastal city of Ashdod, bringing to an end a week of searches after she went missing. In the car with her body police discovered a short note.

“In this city I gave birth to my daughters, in this city I die because of my daughters,” Weinstein, once a member of a prominent family in Gur, wrote.

Eight years ago Weinstein, who had seven daughters, chose to leave the ultra-Orthodox fold, in which she had grown up and which had seen her married at 17.

“I understand that I am sick and needy, and I don’t want to continue to be a burden on you,” she wrote. “Don’t make much effort for the ceremony, something modest with a lot of flowers, and remember that this is what I chose as best for me, and also if you say that I am selfish, I accept and understand your lack of understanding.”

Until her death she had been living with her partner in the central town of Azor.

Haaretz reported that Weinstein also penned a 183-page book titled “Doing His Will,” which she dedicated to her daughter Tami, who followed her into a secular life and was the only one of her daughters to maintain contact with her. In the book, Weinstein recalled the events of her marriage and a previous attempt at suicide.

Her marriage, she explained, was deeply influenced by the “Takanot” — a set of strict guidelines that define how Gur married couples should conduct themselves, from the mundane to the intimate.

In it she describes the only meeting she had with her husband before their marriage. Her prospective groom raised the subject of the Takanot and his expectation that she abide by the rules.

“Now comes the ‘the speech’ that they told me about, about how how difficult it is to keep all of the [Takanot], and how important it is, blah, blah, blah, I thought to myself, and pitied the thin boy in front of me, sitting with drooped shoulders, his hands together in front of his body, and him swaying uncomfortably… His overall appearance was far from being perfect but, touching in his humiliation, it caused me to feel relaxed next to him.”

“I knew in that moment that I would agree to the shiduch [arranged marriage],” she recalled.

During their marriage her husband never called her by name, Weinstein wrote.

“At the time I didn’t know what the word romantic means, but I felt very strongly that I wanted to hear him pronounce my name on his lips. Sometimes I would walk behind him at home like a shadow and imagine him suddenly turning around and saying that wonderful word.”

Once, when she asked her husband to make love to her more than the twice a month permitted in the Takanot, he left their home to call a counselor for advice and only came back two hours later.

“He paused for a moment in the entrance to the living room, didn’t even look at me, and threw into the space of the room the sentence that would hound me for many years afterwards and until today: ‘The rabbi said one shouldn’t add days except what the rebbe [head of the sect] from Gur defined, which is twice a month, and we already did this twice this month! Therefore, the rabbi said, this month we should not do it again, and added and instructed, that if you accept my pronouncement, that is great! And if not — that I should sleep in the living room, and if that also doesn’t help and you continue to insist, then the rabbi ruled that I should sleep in the [synagogue]! Good night!’

“He finished like a father instructing his children to go straight to bed because it is late. He went to the bedroom and immediately fell asleep, and I spent the night in tears and wailing terribly.”

Weinstein reportedly ended the book by writing of her life divided between being the independent woman she chose to be by leaving the sect, and “my life of motherhood, the painful, that is smashed to pieces, sick and wounded.

“I thought it was a temporary matter, but the years are passing and time isn’t healing, and the pain doesn’t stop.”

Yair Hess, executive-director of the Hillel organization, which offers support to members of the ultra-Orthodox community who want to leave religion, recalled Weinstein, who volunteered with the organization, as “a strong woman, a role model.”

“We didn’t know how deep her wounds were,” he said.

There was some controversy and conflict around the arrangements as both her family and her secular friends both attended the funeral and the surrounding media frenzy. The Times of Israel's healine mentions that the funeral was full of "tensions", which I suppose is one way of putting it...

quote:

Her daughter, Tami Montag, had asked mourners to bring flowers and songs to the funeral, fulfilling her mother’s last wish.

“I love you so much and will always love you,” her daughter said in a eulogy. “You were everything to me, a friend and mother.”

But another daughter, estranged from her mother for years, said she would “forever remember the bitter day you left the house.”

Members of Weinstein’s family from the Hasidic sect were also present at the funeral.

“It’s hard for me to speak about you. For me, you will always be like your first 43 years, when you were pure,” her father Rabbi Menachem Orenstein said, according to Ynet.

Weinstein’s boyfriend, however, used his eulogy to criticize the religious community for cutting off contact with her.

“At the heart of every religion is a kernel of unity, and that’s the source of life. But unfortunately it’s turned into ideology. Don’t let any rabbi lead you to hatred and to alienation. The pain from being cut off by your kids is massive,” he said. “Those who leave religion choose freedom but the path is not easy.”
(if you don't get her father's remark about being "pure", she was 43 when she left Haredi life and abandoned religion)

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

quote:

Israel’s minister of transportation and intelligence, Israel Katz, urged that the family of the Palestinian assailant be expelled immediately to either Syria or Gaza in an attempt to deter terror. Until now, Israel's policy has been destroying the family homes of the assailants.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...e2f1_story.html

How likely is this to happen? Gaza and Syria are pretty lovely places.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

William Bear posted:

He was making noise about this a few months ago and drafted a bill which would make this legal. I don't know what happened to it but the Israeli Attorney General said this was a bad idea and would open Israel up to ICC charges, so as a quick google doesn't show me any more information I'm just crossing my finger and assuming the bill didn't go through and become law.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

team overhead smash posted:

would open Israel up to ICC charges
No, it wouldn't. Israel declared that the ICC was nothing but a bunch of antisemitic meanieheads who'd do nothing but "invent new crimes" just to attack the poor, noble Israel, so they were just going to ignore it forever. Israel is not, and never will be, party to the Rome Statute, and they don't consider any part of the treaty to have any legal relevance to them.

And even if they had ratified it, ICC investigations still require the collaboration of the state, so welp, you can say goodbye to the idea of the ICC ever investigating an Israeli war criminal even in the alternate reality where they are party to the statute.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 30, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

William Bear posted:

Who knows? The right has been pushing for deportations for a few months, but so far there's been no clear move toward it. The village has already been sealed off and the entire clan's work permits revoked, with home demolition expected to come very soon, so the usual set of collective punishments is already in play. So far, there's no indication that Netanyahu will add another punishment to the standard package.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Cat Mattress posted:

No, it wouldn't. Israel declared that the ICC was nothing but a bunch of antisemitic meanieheads who'd do nothing but "invent new crimes" just to attack the poor, noble Israel, so they were just going to ignore it forever. Israel is not, and never will be, party to the Rome Statute, and they don't consider any part of the treaty to have any legal relevance to them.

And even if they had ratified it, ICC investigations still require the collaboration of the state, so welp, you can say goodbye to the idea of the ICC ever investigating an Israeli war criminal even in the alternate reality where they are party to the statute.

Whether you think it would or not, it was still part of the rationale given by the attorney general.

Also if it gets past the investigation stage and into the prosecution stage, the relevant ministers/generals/whoever could be indicted so they can never enter any of the 124 countries which have signed up to the Rome Statute for fear of arrest.

Lastly investigations don't require the collaboration of the state as far as I know (if they do, do you have some kind of reference so I can check out the info on this?). See for instance how the ICC investigated Darfur (A non-Rome Statue signatory) and indicted several people including the sitting President. It makes it harder to actually bring them to trial when the person you want to prosecute is in charge of their own country and doesn't want to co-operate, but it doesn't stop charges being made as far as I can see and even then the benefit of having senior Israeli politicians legitimately labelled as indicted war criminals would still be helpful in putting pressure on Israel and mustering support to stop the occupation.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
This seems to be the best place to ask, as I don't know much about Israel and the "palestinians".

Why does Israel tolerate the presence of a near universally violent ethnic and religious minority within its borders? It's not like the "palestinians" have allies in the region (or the rest of the world, for that matter), and it's not like Israel will get invaded or sanctioned in any way for implementing a Final Solution to the problem.

Even if other countries find the removal of the "palestinians" distasteful, what are they going to do about it? Israel has fought off full-scale genocidal invasions before.

Does the Israel government enjoy having a knife to the neck of its people or something, or are there other mitigating factors keeping the "palestinians" alive?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

TwoQuestions posted:

This seems to be the best place to ask, as I don't know much about Israel and the "palestinians".

Why does Israel tolerate the presence of a near universally violent ethnic and religious minority within its borders? It's not like the "palestinians" have allies in the region (or the rest of the world, for that matter), and it's not like Israel will get invaded or sanctioned in any way for implementing a Final Solution to the problem.

Even if other countries find the removal of the "palestinians" distasteful, what are they going to do about it? Israel has fought off full-scale genocidal invasions before.

Does the Israel government enjoy having a knife to the neck of its people or something, or are there other mitigating factors keeping the "palestinians" alive?

This is pretty low effort, dude.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I'm serious!

At least the Jews on my Facebook hate the 'palestinians' pretty hard, so Israeli hatred must be even worse what with being attacked all the time. If Mexican citizens killed half the American citizens that the so-called 'palestinian' people kill Israelis, there would be no Mexican people left. The United States would kill them to the last man, woman, and child, and probably do an impressive internal purge too. It wouldn't be the first, or even the second ethic group we've exterminated (depending on how you count various American Indian groups). The only reason there are still Germans or Japanese people is that we needed buffer states to contain the Soviet Union.

What's holding Israel back?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Morality.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

TwoQuestions posted:

I'm serious!

At least the Jews on my Facebook hate the 'palestinians' pretty hard, so Israeli hatred must be even worse what with being attacked all the time. If Mexican citizens killed half the American citizens that the so-called 'palestinian' people kill Israelis, there would be no Mexican people left. The United States would kill them to the last man, woman, and child, and probably do an impressive internal purge too. It wouldn't be the first, or even the second ethic group we've exterminated (depending on how you count various American Indian groups). The only reason there are still Germans or Japanese people is that we needed buffer states to contain the Soviet Union.

The fact that without American government support, Israel ceases to exist as a functional nation very quickly, and courtesy of recent diplomatic gaffes by Israel's prime minister support for Israel has gone from "unconditional given" to "something the Democratic Party has considered making negotiable going forward."

As such, Israel needs to walk a very careful line in its quest to exterminate the people high-ranking government officials have called "vermin," because if Israel's sugar daddy cuts it off, it is suddenly very alone, in some prime real estate, with a bunch of neighbors who only stand to gain diplomatically from destroying them. And since the fall of Apartheid South Africa, its list of international allies has shrunk to one.

This is part of why the 2014 mow-the-grass campaign ended with the IDF taking Likud party leaders into conference and explaining "if you order us to move in in force, you will not accomplish your goal, and even odds you destroy the state of Israel." They were not happy to hear this, but ultimately acquiesced.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Yeah, this seems like a massive troll but on the off chance it's a bunch of questions asked in good faith which just so happen to be racist and pushing for genocide...

TwoQuestions posted:

It's Palestinians, not "Palestinians". The latter makes it clear that you don't see the Palestinians as being deserving of the basic respect of acknowledging their existence.

quote:

Why does Israel tolerate the presence of a near universally violent ethnic and religious minority within its borders?

It doesn't, in every possible sense of the word "It doesn't".

1) A near universally violent ethnic and religious minority doesn't exist inside of their borders because:

1a) The Palestinians within Israel's borders are peaceful and tend to demonstrate their displeasure democratically

1b) Outside of Israel's borders are also generally peaceful, just getting on with their lives, and it's only a small minority that are violent in response to Israels war crimes and human rights abuses. What you're saying is kind of like "nearly universally all African Americans are criminals".

2) Israel doesn't tolerate them and has been killing large amounts of militants and innocent civilians, for a long time while engaging in a program of slow but steady ethnic cleansing.

3) International Miitary Law (the breaching of which is a war crime) limits actions states are allowed to take in these cases. Of course Israel violates the law and constantly engages in war crimes against the Palestinians, including innocent civilians anyway as part of the whole aforementioned "It doesn't care" deal Israel has going on

quote:

It's not like the "palestinians" have allies in the region (or the rest of the world, for that matter), and it's not like Israel will get invaded or sanctioned in any way for implementing a Final Solution to the problem.

Well some would consider ethnic cleansing and genocide as something you shouldn't do even if you think you can get away from it. Y'know, maybe a whole lesson to take away form the holocaust? And our shared humanity? And treating people with respect and compassion? No?

However Israel is viewed very poorly throughout the world in regards to how it treats the Palestinians. Every year the UN in a show of solidarity carries out a vote which always overwhelmingly passes condemning the continued occupation of the Palestinian territories. The only nations to vote against it are usually the USA, Israel, maaaybe one or two other countries you would have heard of and then a couple of micro-nations like Palau that basically just vote with the USA. That Israel is in the wrong is one of the most agreed upon facts in all of international diplomacy. The only thing stopping from being in a lot of trouble (think it's entire economy collapsing as 80% of its trading partners suddenly embargo it) is that it has the USA's protection in terms of UNSC vetoes and that it isn't making any overt moves which would push the other nations into having to stop it - something that would certainly happen at a minimum if they started wheeling Palestinians off to the gas chambers.

quote:

There is no knife to Israel's neck. Although individuals might die or be hurt occasionally, Israel is not under any kind of existential threat. Israel is a powerful nation, a regional power with modern equipment like tanks, bombers, jet fighters, a navy, concealed nuclear WMDs, etc. Palestinians are farmers who might surprise someone with a knife or land a piss-rocket into a patch of barren desert and have some guns.

You've probably heard about the rockets Palestinians fire at Israel. Thousands have been fired but these are unguided missiles, mostly homemade ones where they have to use piss as a key ingredient, and in a decade of this approximately 25 people have been killed by these missiles - mostly because missiles will tend to just land in some random outcrop of scrub or desert and cause no damage to anybody. Israel has launched individual attacks which have killed approximately as many civilians as Hamas's decades long rocket campaign has.

The idea that the Palestinians have a knife to the neck of Israel and could kill it is frankly insane.

TwoQuestions posted:

I'm serious!

No, America would not commit genocide against Mexico if several US citizens were killed each year by Mexicans. If that were the case the USA would be omitting genocide against the Mexicans right now.

Hell, it varies year on year, but at a ballpark figure I'd put the Israeli death toll over the last decade at about 400-500 people or 40 - 50 people per year (most of them killed in the 2014 Gaza war). Based on the figures of people killed by mexicans that I can find (100 Americans killed just IN Mexico just in 2014, not including Mexicans killing people in the USA) I'd say that more US citizens are killed by Maexicans than Israels by palestinians.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

The fact that without American government support, Israel ceases to exist as a functional nation very quickly, and courtesy of recent diplomatic gaffes by Israel's prime minister support for Israel has gone from "unconditional given" to "something the Democratic Party has considered making negotiable going forward."

As such, Israel needs to walk a very careful line in its quest to exterminate the people high-ranking government officials have called "vermin," because if Israel's sugar daddy cuts it off, it is suddenly very alone, in some prime real estate, with a bunch of neighbors who only stand to gain diplomatically from destroying them. And since the fall of Apartheid South Africa, its list of international allies has shrunk to one.

This is part of why the 2014 mow-the-grass campaign ended with the IDF taking Likud party leaders into conference and explaining "if you order us to move in in force, you will not accomplish your goal, and even odds you destroy the state of Israel." They were not happy to hear this, but ultimately acquiesced.

That's the only explanation that makes sense. With 8.5 million Israelis, and 4 million 'palestinians', I can see how removal would be tough, especially without US support. If Trump gets elected however, I'd be shaking in my boots if I were living in Israel and not Jewish. Hell, he'd deploy US troops to help (or any other Republican to be honest).

Thanks for the info!

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TwoQuestions more like FourteenWords.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

team overhead smash posted:

There is no knife to Israel's neck. Although individuals might die or be hurt occasionally, Israel is not under any kind of existential threat. Israel is a powerful nation, a regional power with modern equipment like tanks, bombers, jet fighters, a navy, concealed nuclear WMDs, etc. Palestinians are farmers who might surprise someone with a knife or land a piss-rocket into a patch of barren desert and have some guns.

On that subject....

Palestinian, 19, Stabs 13-Year-Old to Death in West Bank Settlement

quote:

JERUSALEM — A Palestinian teenager scrambled over a fence surrounding a Jewish settlement in the West Bank, ran into a house and stabbed an Israeli-American girl to death as she slept in her bed on Thursday morning.

The perpetrator, Mohammad Tarayreh, 19, was fatally shot after the attack. The victim, Hallel Yaffa Ariel, 13, had been sleeping in after staying up late for a dance performance the night before. Her father found her in her room, according to the Israeli news media and the head of the settlement’s volunteer security team.

The killing, in the Kiryat Arba settlement, was the latest in a series of attacks that surged in October and have left more than 30 Israelis dead. Several of the victims, including Hallel, have been dual citizens of the United States, according to the State Department. More than 210 Palestinians have also been killed, most while carrying out attacks or when thought to be about to do so.

Thursday’s attack was particularly gruesome.

I suppose you could say the attacker did "surprise someone with a knife", no word yet on whether or not he was a farmer.

There were also a pair of stabbings in northern Israel, but the only person killed was the assailant.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

The Insect Court posted:

On that subject....

I suppose you could say the attacker did "surprise someone with a knife", no word yet on whether or not he was a farmer.

There were also a pair of stabbings in northern Israel, but the only person killed was the assailant.

You seem to be offering quite an argumentative tone for someone who is only offering evidence that backs up my position.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

bango skank posted:

TwoQuestions more like FourteenWords.

Wait, so I'm a Nazi for wondering why Israel doesn't do what must be done to secure peace for itself?

The non-Jewish aliens called palestinians (Goddammit Autocorrect stop capitalizing it!) will never accept that Israel deserves to exist, or that Jews deserve to live. As long as anyone in the world calls themselves palestinian, Israel will not know peace.

Israel deserves peace, and Jews deserve to live, no matter what. If that means genocide, So Be It. They have earned that right. Nothing short of it will do.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Consider me trolled, well done old chap.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

TwoQuestions posted:

Wait, so I'm a Nazi for wondering why Israel doesn't do what must be done to secure peace for itself?

TwoQuestions posted:

Israel deserves peace, and Jews deserve to live, no matter what. If that means genocide, So Be It. They have earned that right. Nothing short of it will do.

Like seriously dude, this is some really low-grade trolling.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Insect Court posted:

On that subject....

How many Palestinians were killed while neither carrying out attacks nor "thought about to do so"?

Because if it's greater than a seventh of that total, an evenly applied price tag policy might not make you happy.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 1, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The Insect Court posted:

On that subject....

"Most [..] when thought to be about to do so" is a pretty great statement. Does that count people like the guy who was lynched for being black on a bus where another guy tried to steal a soldier's gun, I wonder?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

"When thought to be about to do so."

So is this literally just "HE'S COMIN RIGHT FOR US" or what, cause that's a real fuckin gross statement in pretty much any context, unless they're talking about some straight up 'Man found with bombs en route' which I have to doubt being the case, because y'know, not exactly a stellar record on that situation.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 1, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TwoQuestions posted:

I'm serious!

Because if they don't keep their powerless, captive enemies around to cry about, there's no reason for bigots to love them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The politicians at Hallel Yaffa Ariel's funeral are being so transparent and insincere that even the Times of Israel is calling them out on it. Once again, a Jewish corpse becomes a political prop for the ambitions of settlers and thieves.

quote:

Hallel was eulogized by two government ministers, a member of Knesset and the settlement’s rabbi. But it was her dance instructor and her mother who sent shivers through the crowd.

The politicians’ and rabbi’s speeches seemed directed more towards the crowd and the television cameras than towards the 13-year-old girl lying dead next to them.

Their eulogies started out about Hallel, but after a few lines shifted to calls for building in the settlements, to accusations of Mahmoud Abbas’s culpability, or to the need for the government to take a stronger hand in dealing with terrorists.

“You didn’t need to be here today. You should have been dancing or volunteering,” Education Minister Naftali Bennett said.

He went on: “We will build in Sarona and Kiryat Arba, in Jaffa and Jerusalem, in Itamar and Beersheba.”

Agriculture Minister Uri Ariel — Hallel’s cousin — also stressed the need for building in settlements “now more than ever,” and called for Israel to declare its sovereignty over the West Bank.

Likud MK Yehudah Glick began his eulogy emotionally, crying out to God, saying there have been “enough parents burying their children and wives burying their husbands.”

But his speech as well turned to calls for Israeli annexation of the West Bank and for Jews to go up to the Temple Mount.

The settlement’s controversial religious leader, Rabbi Dov Lior, spoke the longest, yet the majority of his speech dealt not with Hallel, but with what he saw as Israel’s weakness in dealing with the Palestinians.

“Of course God will avenge [Hallel’s] death, and the deaths of others killed by these evil-doers. But that does not forgive the government that doesn’t use the force it possesses. We have an army. We have security forces,” Lior said.