Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The child-friendly Mega Man series would have improved immensely had Dr Wily been graphically shot in the head and never returned.

This might be the worst opinion I've ever read. Sigma I can get being tired of, but Wily's wriggling brows are a treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
It's bullshit how Mario always fights Bowser in the game series Mario

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Arkham series killed off the Joker in City, only to bring him back in Knight at everyone else's expense, because they honestly couldn't think of working Scarecrow as an independent threat

Yeah, they did jump the shark at "The joker is dead, what now bitches?", only to realize that they are the bitches

edit: Dying Light: The Following takes everything fun about parkour in the normal game and says "You know what this needs? A giant, flat, empty farm wasteland with a lovely buggy that spawns a horde of virals when you turn it on"

Techland also seems to have forgotten that the grappling hook exists, because you can't hook onto pretty much anything in this

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Jun 30, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Arkham series killed off the Joker in City, only to bring him back in Knight at everyone else's expense, because they honestly couldn't think of working Scarecrow as an independent threat

"Everyone else's expense"? While he's a strong presence, the Joker is hardly the game's primary antagonist and the effect he has on Batman is intertwined with Scarecrow's themes and motivation.

I dunno man. If you're sick of the character being used that's one thing, but I think in Knight's case he did genuinely make the story work.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Even if you never played the original System Shock you would have to have been a stupid kid to not catch on to the fact that the voice in your ear that kept going off on strange tangents about flesh and insulting you and glitching out and basically everything short of having a flashing neon sign saying "SHE IS NOT WHO SHE SEEMS AND IS GOING TO BETRAY YOU" was not who she seemed and was going to betray you.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Mann posted:

Even if you never played the original System Shock you would have to have been a stupid kid to not catch on to the fact that the voice in your ear that kept going off on strange tangents about flesh and insulting you and glitching out and basically everything short of having a flashing neon sign saying "SHE IS NOT WHO SHE SEEMS AND IS GOING TO BETRAY YOU" was not who she seemed and was going to betray you.

They weren't really trying to be coy about that. There's a moment where she starts talking about how your implants and software are improving you on a fundamental level, and how she might consider making you her avatar. That moment is when you walk into a reversed-gravity chapel and are face to face with a giant upside-down cross.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FF14: Wall partitions in your house. They don't take the appearance of any wallpaper you have applied, so you can have this elaborate marble wall... with a bunch of wood walls separating your rooms.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Related to the above SS2 post, you had to have been a dumbass if the 'twist' surprised you.

First, Polito bitching at you while she's saving your life is a "Oh, she's SHODAN." Not long after the beginning (iirc), you get a recording of the same person, and its drastically different.

~the Polito form is dead, insect~
YEAH, I KNOW, YOU'RE SHODAN.
~I am SHODAN~
YEAH, YEAH, SHUT UP

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Jun 30, 2016

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

BillmasterCozb posted:

Techland also seems to have forgotten that the grappling hook exists, because you can't hook onto pretty much anything in this

Quite the opposite infact, the grappling hook renders the parkour system pointless when you can just Spiderman your way around, you'll notice that in the final few main game missions the hook is disabled because the plot says it is.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
How are people still buying Techland games? Weren't they the terrible company responsible for the abysmal games Dead Island and Call of Juarez: the Cartel? They've already proven they can't write or code to save their lives anymore, was it really a surprise that their newest game is hot garbage too? The only good games that they had were the early Cal of Juarez games but then they fell backwards into their own rear end.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zant in Twilight Princess starts making chicken noises the moment we face him, neutering any of his menace or originality, just so Ganondorf can appear and tell Link the game is really called Ocarina of Time 2.
This one was especially bad because Zant was actually kind of spooky and menacing. Then he takes off that helmet and he's voldemort's nerdy brother and he's just a total chump. Then oh look, ganondorf again.

Leal posted:

FF14: Wall partitions in your house. They don't take the appearance of any wallpaper you have applied, so you can have this elaborate marble wall... with a bunch of wood walls separating your rooms.
At least you have a house. Houses cost 30 to 50 million in-game money assuming any are available. Because every server has a limited amount. On more popular server it's not uncommon for some people to hoard house plots to resell them for higher prices, which is supposedly against the rules but no one seems to really give a poo poo.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Valatar posted:

They weren't really trying to be coy about that. There's a moment where she starts talking about how your implants and software are improving you on a fundamental level, and how she might consider making you her avatar. That moment is when you walk into a reversed-gravity chapel and are face to face with a giant upside-down cross.

Well yeah, it's just that people are acting like it was some big twist when the game never really had any pretenses about fooling you. The closest thing to a twist in SS2 was the origin of The Many and even then that was mostly just an inspired way of tying it into the first game.

BioEnchanted posted:

How are people still buying Techland games? Weren't they the terrible company responsible for the abysmal games Dead Island and Call of Juarez: the Cartel? They've already proven they can't write or code to save their lives anymore, was it really a surprise that their newest game is hot garbage too? The only good games that they had were the early Cal of Juarez games but then they fell backwards into their own rear end.

Same only zombie games in general.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zant going loving bonkers owned. Pity about Ganon but that part could still have worked

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

This one was especially bad because Zant was actually kind of spooky and menacing. Then he takes off that helmet and he's voldemort's nerdy brother and he's just a total chump. Then oh look, ganondorf again.

Skull Kid was this done right. Spooky bastard with understandable and sympathetic but insane motivation, starts the game by loving you up and then doubling down on loving you up, surprise twist (game's too old for spoilers) is "oh hey turns out the real bad guy was right there on his face wearing him like a dried-out skinsuit/puppet and was also the title of the game and hey, trippy finale sequence, here's that guy's understandable but insane motivation too, now boss fight his godlike rear end"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Somfin posted:

Skull Kid was this done right. Spooky bastard with understandable and sympathetic but insane motivation, starts the game by loving you up and then doubling down on loving you up, surprise twist (game's too old for spoilers) is "oh hey turns out the real bad guy was right there on his face wearing him like a dried-out skinsuit/puppet and was also the title of the game and hey, trippy finale sequence, here's that guy's understandable but insane motivation too, now boss fight his godlike rear end"

Link Between Worlds has a similar issue, really. You start off with a new and interesting villain it's Not Gannon from Not Hyrule but then at the end of the game it's just ganon again. Ganondorf can be a cool villain when you set him up, I'll always love him in Wind Waker. But some of the unique Zelda antagonists are really cool and it's disappointing when they throw them aside because it always has to be ganon.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
At the very least it seems new Zelda isn't making any compunctions about Ganon being the villain

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

At the very least it seems new Zelda isn't making any compunctions about Ganon being the villain

Ganon is fantastic when he is given character and style, and especially when he's given a couple early free hits on Link to establish threat and animosity. He needs to be there early and he needs to stay in the game as much as possible. If he's the surprise actual villain overwrite he's just limp fanservice and every time it happens the game is noticeably worse, because if I didn't have multiple games of history with this redheaded git I'd have no reason to care about his appearance. And I'm very aware of that fact.

Actually that works as a more general rule. The real final villain should always be introduced early and be firmly established by the finale. Video game fights only matter if there's sufficient context for the player to make them matter.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Jul 1, 2016

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ShootaBoy posted:

Speaking of this, I've played through ME1 like, 8 or 9 times and I only found out the Mako had a cannon earlier this year. I have killed Thresher Maws with just the minigun. Yes, it does take literally forever.

:staredog:

BioEnchanted posted:

people in the sister thread talk up gunslinger from time to time.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
One more reason why the Capcom Zelda games ruled, no Ganon and one actually managed to have a *gasp* female villain.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The final mission of Dying Light: The Following forces you to drive across the gigantic map in six minutes with your lovely, unreliable buggy, and if you die, even if you're almost at where you have to go, you have to do it all over again. I'm not going to do that.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Action Tortoise posted:

people in the sister thread talk up gunslinger from time to time.

Gunslinger is their legit great game that does nothing to override the poop spigot that is the rest of their release history. They made the racism into a character trait and the confusing narrative into a plot point.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

One more reason why the Capcom Zelda games ruled, no Ganon and one actually managed to have a *gasp* female villain.

If you're talking about Oracle of Ages, they still pulled a ganon in the linked game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Ganon was the actual final boss, you play both games with a linked password and then unlock the final dungeon and fight him.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
In Trackmania Turbo, the one thing that's dragging down the game big time are big jumps.

Especially immediately after turns.

And then you have to land on a narrow road 200+ ft later.

stupid camel through the eye of a needle bullshit

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

If you're talking about Oracle of Ages, they still pulled a ganon in the linked game.

Eeeeeh... Linked game had Twinrova masterminding everything to resurrect Ganon, only to fail and bring back a mindless beast instead. At least he wasn't secretly masterminding everything that time.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Maybe they keep trying to do the Ganon fake-out because it worked once for Agahnim.

Hell, I'm Team Link to the Past, but I agree, come on.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
One thing we can agree on though is the Capcom Zeldas are really good.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While I'm still enjoying it because the stronger enemies can still be killed fairly quickly with the crossbow/rocket launcher, the charging enemies with the red weakspots in Shadow Warrior can get hosed. They are really annoying to fight because from the front even rockets take a while, and your constantly being harassed by the other enemies as well.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Link Between Worlds has a similar issue, really. You start off with a new and interesting villain it's Not Gannon from Not Hyrule but then at the end of the game it's just ganon again. Ganondorf can be a cool villain when you set him up, I'll always love him in Wind Waker. But some of the unique Zelda antagonists are really cool and it's disappointing when they throw them aside because it always has to be ganon.

It's Ganon's soulless body being piloted by Not Gannon. Also it turns out that the original plan was for bizzaro Zelda to fix Lorule by teaming up with Yuga to take the triforce. Gameplay wise it's kind of disappointing for the fight to be Literally Ganon From LTTP for the first part, but I wouldn't fault it story wise.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In Fallout 4 the loot system sucks rear end. I recently finished all the non radiant quests and never stopped using a shotgun I picked up in the first hour of playing the game. It was a legendary shotgun with explosive damage added and it out-performed everything except legendary fat mans for the entire game. The ballistic weave upgrades for armor made every suit you pick up negate any damage, so what was the point of having a loot system in the first place? They would have been better served having a cosmetic station for the dolly dress up aspect of the game and just making you an invincible death machine from the get go.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

DLC that makes the game worse.

The Bonfire of the Vanities is a DLC chapter in Assassin's Creed II that's mandatory if it's installed, you can't forward the main quest without completing it first. Here you go back to the first city of the game and you have to kill nine men, in a call-back to the first game. For some ungodly reason you have to kill these men without being seen, even though you immediately get in a fight afterwards. The whole experience is just cheap padding that feels low-budget compared to the rest of the game, and the DLC bugged out forcing me to finish chapter 13 before I could begin chapter 12.

This is the worst mission in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gncRUMstebI

I can't see this at work, but it's that loving boat, isn't it?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Walton Simons posted:

It is 100% the loving boat

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It would be another couple years before boats would become the selling point of the series.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Walton Simons posted:

Yes!

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

NotAnArtist posted:

I loved those janky as gently caress spacecar sessions :smith:

Tootlin' along on planets was fun, and though I've never played me2 or me3 I was bummed that they took them out.
The Mako was great. Near-invincible (if you look at the Normandy crash site in ME2, the loving thing's barely damaged :allears:) space APC with a bigass cannon that thought it was a mountain goat. If they'd given it a booster and the ability to jump it would have been perfect.

So of course its replacement in ME2 is a hovercraft made of cardboard with a weapon that hits like a wet noodle :negative:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Walton Simons posted:

gently caress, I had totally forgotten about that God drat piece of poo poo boat level. I would rather deal with twenty "follow this guy" missions than ever deal with that boat level again.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

U.T. Raptor posted:

The Mako was great. Near-invincible (if you look at the Normandy crash site in ME2, the loving thing's barely damaged :allears:) space APC with a bigass cannon that thought it was a mountain goat. If they'd given it a booster and the ability to jump it would have been perfect.

So of course its replacement in ME2 is a hovercraft made of cardboard with a weapon that hits like a wet noodle :negative:

The Mako could jump, but it was good for absolute gently caress all.

The whole spacecar aspect of ME1 could've been a lot of fun but you can tell they really didn't put a whole lot of effort into it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Last Celebration posted:

Gameplay wise it's kind of disappointing for the fight to be Literally Ganon From LTTP for the first part, but I wouldn't fault it story wise.

Disappointing but at least thematically consistent, since so much of the gameplay and design is "HEY REMEMBER THIS FROM WHEN ZELDA GAMES WERE GOOD?"

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

RyokoTK posted:

Disappointing but at least thematically consistent, since so much of the gameplay and design is "HEY REMEMBER THIS FROM WHEN ZELDA GAMES WERE GOOD?"

Literally Nintendo's only move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

U.T. Raptor posted:

I remember the Mako as being a piece of poo poo that couldn't stay upright for longer than five seconds.