Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Thought: Could we troll them further by trying to ToP for Khan? Issue the challenge directly from, say, Noretti to try and take the Ravens for us? It would be a challenge from Clanner to Clanner, the rest of the Demon Hawks would just be there to fill out the rest of the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

yes, the 'no' has to be simultaneously contemptuous, dismissive, and confusing.

e: plot the course of the destroyed prow of the McKenna and say we will meet them at the place and time where it impacts the earth. Then don't show, obviously.

PTN, how plausible is this - do we have numbers on how soon its orbit will decay? Because making the clanners watch as the shattered remnants of their pride and joy vapourises itself in a quasinuclear fireball is really tickling my funnybone right now.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sebmojo posted:

PTN, how plausible is this - do we have numbers on how soon its orbit will decay? Because making the clanners watch as the shattered remnants of their pride and joy vapourises itself in a quasinuclear fireball is really tickling my funnybone right now.

Then we tell them they've violated the rules of the trial by having unbid forces (the McKenna) show up on the field.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tempest_56 posted:

Thought: Could we troll them further by trying to ToP for Khan? Issue the challenge directly from, say, Noretti to try and take the Ravens for us? It would be a challenge from Clanner to Clanner, the rest of the Demon Hawks would just be there to fill out the rest of the challenge.

Noretti was disavowed the moment she became our bondsman. And depending on exactly how this McKenna rolls it could always wind up being a trial of dodging NPPC fire from one of the remaining warships while shaking your fist at the heavens for your inability to return fire.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

AtomikKrab posted:

We are greedy mercs, let us get some more sweet rear end clan tech mechs for ourselves.

I would be interested to so what Amaris could cook up for the Demon Hawks with Clan Tech / Clan Mechs

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
If the Demon Hawks did agree to a fight, I kind of think the prize you ought to demand should be trivial enough as to actually insult the clanners. Don't know what that ought to be, though.

That said, I do think you must dare refuse their batchall. (1B)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zaodai posted:

Then we tell them they've violated the rules of the trial by having unbid forces (the McKenna) show up on the field.

:troll:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
:stonk:

Amaris you scary.

I'm a bit sad, actually, I like Snow Ravens, and I don't see how they are anything but utterly hosed.

Zaodai posted:

[EDIT] Challenge them to a rap battle!

I'm not voting yet, but this is the closest thing to having my vote.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I've got it.

We challenge them to a contest that we have no intent to win, but that would be lethal to them. Challenge their Clan to a contest to see who can eat the most raw sewage from one of the cities. Then just don't eat any. When they claim their victory, you just point out that they ate a bunch of actual poo poo in the name of honor, get back in your mechs and walk away. That would show them the foolishness of their system very plainly.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Yes, Accept the Challenge. The Whole Clan. As much bullshit clan tech as we can possibly get out of them

This seems like it would be a fun scenario.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

Noretti was disavowed the moment she became our bondsman. And depending on exactly how this McKenna rolls it could always wind up being a trial of dodging NPPC fire from one of the remaining warships while shaking your fist at the heavens for your inability to return fire.

I think the last update made it pretty clear that orbital bombardment is not likely to be an issue for the rest of this campaign.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
1B NOPE

If the Clans think they can just attack the NRWR they are going to learn that they are playing by Inner Sphere Rules and not their silly little game of trials.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1B: You only have three clans here. That's not nearly enough for a fair fight against us. Raise your bid.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Amaris rules dueling: Clanners show up for a duel and 10 times our bid shows up to curbstomp them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zaodai posted:

I've got it.

We challenge them to a contest that we have no intent to win, but that would be lethal to them. Challenge their Clan to a contest to see who can eat the most raw sewage from one of the cities. Then just don't eat any. When they claim their victory, you just point out that they ate a bunch of actual poo poo in the name of honor, get back in your mechs and walk away. That would show them the foolishness of their system very plainly.

PUNCH OUT THE SUN

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

goatface posted:

Refusing, politely, feels like it would infuriate them more than anything we could reasonably hope to demand.

I feel like this is a perfect opportunity to get airmobile transports and fighte aerospace wings at the bullet-cost.

The True Gentleman is onto a great idea here.

thetruegentleman posted:

*snip*

even so, a Union Dropship costs 222,554,080, which is the kind of hardware the Big Boy Merc Companies have access to, while Jason and Duncan would need to do this mission five times just to come close to buying a single one, every other expense aside.

In other words, the Clan Killing Pair are getting enough money that they should seriously consider getting an Aerospace wing for support, like some Corsairs (2,293,958 each), but not enough that Amaris would do the Star Fox 64 style General Pepper "WHAT?!" (hilarious though that thought may be).

This could go so many ways though. It is a hilariously underutilized plot device.
All the goons who are voting hell no aren't thinking like an amaris.

Plan 1: Actual honor duel over ancient butthurt.
1a: Hell Yes.
2: Literal honor duel. We bid one atlas-3. Clans trip overthemselves bidding for the right to fight THAT GODAMN MADMAN IN THE ATLAS.
3: Prize is the Amaris bloodname to be created and officially recognized by the clans.(if the demon hawks win). (presumably, a similiar one would be created for the clanner if he wins)

The clans have spent centuries hating the actions of one man. Make it up close, reduced to mano y mano, and rub it the gently caress in.
Why? Bloodnames are to mark worthy foes and exceptional warriors. Amaris has been kicking their rear end so hard they have to accept it on their terms.
[spoilers]Ath vs Duncan? Ath vs Duncan.[spoilers]

Plan two: 'Set our merc company up and get us off the ground'.
1a: Hella yeah
3: Dropships, aerospace assets, ~maybe~ a ship to put them in, with support staff. The point being not just to own the Mechs and Personell but their rides between jobs, and more importantly, clanner technicians inhouse. This is the shot you take if you want to grow the demonhawks into not just A rising star, but THE mercenary company.
2: Whatever size supports 3. 2D/galaxy of battlemechs?

Why: Assetgrab.

Alternatively to the above: Bidding for a clan techbase/omnimech patterns/logistics ships/staff(the ones in orbit that the clans in the update didn't defend) would make a lot of sense. basically, shoot for company assets. Did the clans bring any of those space mobile manufactories with them on this little invasion?

Plan 3: Dare YOU accept my batchall?
1: Yes.
2: Whole clan.
3: Any losers must admit amaris wasn't wrong, seceed from the clans, and submit a formal application to join the NWNR. Daemonhawks to recieve a cut/finders fee for products of the new state of some kind.

Anyone daring to enter the field has to front up be willing to stomach the possibility they were wrong to galivant across the galaxy. Yes, you get to punch the leading amaris lapdops, but you have to be wiling to stomach losing to even get there...
Why: This makes clanners question the bidding process entirely.

Basically, saying no is throwing out the opportunity for maximum troll. The only question is the scale of your audacity.

Edit: these are just possibilities. Also some cleanup. pick one and have fun with it!

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 1, 2016

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Think they would let Bethany (she's Watch though... which claim? Viper Watch?), Noretti, or any member of the Demon Hawks challenge the Khan to one-on-one combat for a trial of position as Khan? Or single clmbat in general for large prizes, rather than risking the whole company.

Otherwise I'm leaning strongly towards no.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 1, 2016

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
Challenge the clans to a dance battle.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Servicio en Espanol posted:

If the Demon Hawks did agree to a fight, I kind of think the prize you ought to demand should be trivial enough as to actually insult the clanners. Don't know what that ought to be, though.

Ath as bondsman totally fits the bill there! Who would actually want someone that old???

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RA Rx posted:

Think they would let Bethany (she's Watch though... which claim? Viper Watch?), Noretti, or any member of the Demon Hawks challenge the Khan to one-on-one combat for a trial of position as Khan? Or single clmbat in general for large prizes, rather than risking the whole company.

Otherwise I'm leaning strongly towards no.

Again, Khanship does not work this way.

It's at least in part a voted/nominated position, and the opponents from within the Clan would still get a shot. There would be no reason for anyone to follow Bethany (definitely)or Noretti (as a bondsman) even if they won. They'd just keep challenging a never ending string of trials of position and grievance until everyone was dead or someone replaced them.

Besides, we're here to shame them, not claim them.

On an unrelated note, since it seems unlikely we'd actually be able to vote through a trolly, non-combat, abuse of the system trial if accepting their challenge won, I'm just going to officially vote Hell no, refuse their challenges, because we're not here to have childish slap fights.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
1B, all the way.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Going to vote 1B)No Challenge. We just destroyed their flagship, their likely pride and joy, and they are going to be pissed we have no idea exactly how honourable they would act in any challenge. Also the only funny idea I could come up with on a short notice was something like having them change places between the warrior caste and the merchant caste for a defined time period. It would hopefully be insulting making the warriors be merchants and the lack of skill should help Amaris' and the Hawks' chances in any further fights. Doubt it would happen though.

Also I would like to sign up email is: koolkev666@hotmail.co.uk

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

3: Any losers must admit amaris wasn't wrong, seceed from the clans, and submit a formal application to join the NWNR. Daemonhawks to recieve a cut/finders fee for products of the new state of some kind.

That wouldn't work as well as you'd hope. Clanners as a whole are incapable of considering the possible negative outcome of their choices. Even if every prior attempt to accomplish something has resulted in failure, that was the other guy and they just weren't as awesome at everything as I am.

koolkevz666 posted:

We just destroyed their flagship, their likely pride and joy, and they are going to be pissed we have no idea exactly how honourable they would act in any challenge.

Amaris did that, the Demon Hawks weren't responsible. And even then, it might have just been a fluke jump drive malfunction. It's not as though the Clans are really doing hyperspace research.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 1, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

1B is the correct vote.

That said, the Spur would maybe be relatively easy to bargain for, because it was supposed to defend the airfield that just got clowned. It would be hilarious for the Demon Hawks to have a warship, but also probably super unrealistic. Clan weapons along with NRWR armor on some omnis might be pretty legit. But still, bidding is dumb.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Zaodai posted:

I suggest that if we wisely reject the Clan challenges, we send them the following as our response with no context:

The Clans love challenging people to trials and poo poo without explaining them. Why not send them a cat meme response without explaining it? gently caress 'em, right in the mind.

Agreed. Let the Clanners clan and the Mercenaries mercenary. 1B No

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
If you're going to take up the dumbshit Clan offer I would suggest bidding for logistics stuff like a small Clan jumpship and a drop ship or two. Become a truly self-sufficient mercenary company.

otherwise tell them to gently caress off.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

That wouldn't work as well as you'd hope. Clanners as a whole are incapable of considering the possible negative outcome of their choices. Even if every prior attempt to accomplish something has resulted in failure, that was the other guy and they just weren't as awesome at everything as I am.

Dang.

How bout this:

Amaris did that, the Demon Hawks weren't responsible. And even then, it might have just been a fluke jump drive malfunction. It's not as though the Clans are really doing hyperspace research.

plan 4: Startup service
1: yes
2: 2b or 2c or 2a as appropriate for 3
3: HPG schematics, technicians, personell, and devices.
Why: An invasion of this coordination(or lack) and scale clearly means the clans have retained HPG technologies. That's a gamechanger. Make an arrangement with comstar not to but into their business, sell it to amaris, or just go open source HPG and gently caress comstar. This is a get rich quick scheme and make stuff happen scheme waiting to happen. I want to look at PTN's take on the events of comstar starting to lose it that led to the jihad.
gently caress at&t.

Not accepting the challenge is the boring option. I trust the gm to make whatever happens interesting, but this is the first real potential to directly reach in and shake up whatever the gooncensus feels like needs an attitude adjustment in a while - its an open-ended prompt, not a five letter vote. This is the best opportunity to put forth the best ideas for drama and development I have seen this year.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 1, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Amaris has hpgs though

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Why do you think Amaris doesn't have HPGs? There's a reason he and ComStar have a non-compete agreement.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TheParadigm posted:

Dang.

How bout this:

plan 4: Startup service
1: yes
2: 2b or 2c or 2a as appropriate for 3
3: HPG schematics, technicians, personell, and devices.
Why: An invasion of this coordination(or lack) and scale clearly means the clans have retained HPG technologies. That's a gamechanger. Make an arrangement with comstar not to but into their business, sell it to amaris, or just go open source HPG and gently caress comstar. This is a get rich quick scheme and make stuff happen scheme waiting to happen. I want to look at PTN's take on the events of comstar starting to lose it that led to the jihad.
gently caress at&t.

Amaris already has HPGs. You can't really have a warship fleet without them.

A company sized outfit wouldn't last a week with that info once Comstar finds out they have it. Building HPGs is still ruinously expensive and requires materials and people Comstar is likely watching closely. Other Duncan might be interested, though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TheParadigm posted:

Not accepting the challenge is the boring option. I trust the gm to make whatever happens interesting, but this is the first real potential to directly reach in and shake up whatever the gooncensus feels like needs an attitude adjustment in a while - its an open-ended prompt, not a five letter vote. This is the best opportunity to put forth the best ideas for drama and development I have seen this year.

Setting your house on fire would be a very exciting and interesting thing to do. That doesn't make it a good idea. Shaking things up when they're already going in your favor seems pretty pointless. We'd have to risk a TON to come away with anything even approaching valuable, under the current circumstances.

We're already getting gifts from our rich Uncle, and if we help him kick the crap out of the Clans, I'm sure he'll give us some nice parting gifts. They didn't fight us when we claimed that Copperhead as salvage despite having no salvage rights. They didn't stop us from taking bondsmen. It seems like they're just fine with "if you scratch our back, we'll scratch yours", and we're some mighty fight back scratchers. Why jeopardize our current position for a slim chance at a moderate potential future gain?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Sticking with my earlier No vote.

Yes, it would be cool to get Free Clan poo poo, but you know what? We'll just shoot them all in the faces and take their Clan poo poo. That's the Inner Sphere Way. Honorable combat? gently caress you, this is Chicago.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Why do you think Amaris doesn't have HPGs? There's a reason he and ComStar have a non-compete agreement.

Hmn.

Do the clans want to fight the Demon Hawks as a whole, or just the specific lances of our unit that tore up the air field?

Is there any reason forbidding the hawks couldn't use some of their winnings to bulk up their forces in preperation? New mechs, pilots, or help from other mercenary units?
I mean, clearly, they would have to see the other side for the bidding process.

But at the same time, using the mechs-and-goods clause from the amaris contract to field buy a lance of dogs sounds hilarious. And not because they explode, but because its even more of an insult if the clans get beat by robots.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I do like that Amaris solved the Revenant's obsessive targeting behaviour (the thing follows Zell more strictly than most clanners) by strapping a bomb to it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bloody Pom posted:

I do like that Amaris solved the Revenant's obsessive targeting behaviour (the thing follows Zell more strictly than most clanners) by strapping a bomb to it.

I think strapping bombs to it is how Amaris solves most of his troubles, from what we saw with the Battleship.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Amazing update!

My inclination is to reject the duel as well, since the Clans just suffered such a catastrophic fleet setback that there's really no need to humor them anymore - everything Amaris(es) did up to that attack was in aid of baiting said attack, playing along with the foibles of Clan society to set them up for the ultimate hubristic smackdown. Now that the playing field has been more than leveled, it's time to enter total war mode and wipe them out.

However, being that the Demon Hawks are mercenaries, the challenges do present an opportunity to score some resources. On mechs alone Amaris has you pretty well covered and I'd be really leery about taking on more bondsmen, since expanding your mercenary company with a whole load of resentful converts increases the risk that one of them just says "gently caress it" to the rules and betrays you - they're still human, after all. Then again, crazy-rare resources like a ship or strange Clan tech/personnel/info might be worth the risk? The decision's too tough for me right now, so I'll abstain.

All the ideas about dishonorable booby-trapped trials also sound good, since from the looks of it by the end of this campaign all Clan forces will be dead or captured so in the classic game theory sense there's no reason not to betray - why obey the rules of the game if by cheating you can end the game permanently and in your favor? On the other hand, shattering the Clans' worldview so completely might mean that they're ready to do the same to you, since if they're all about to die in shame and failure anyway what does it matter the additional dishonor to cheat if it means they have a chance to kill you? So it might be better to play it safe.

dis astranagant posted:

A company sized outfit wouldn't last a week with that info once Comstar finds out they have it. Building HPGs is still ruinously expensive and requires materials and people Comstar is likely watching closely. Other Duncan might be interested, though.

This reminds me, is Duncan's loyalty still tied to Other Duncan in such a way that we should consider potential benefit to the FWL? Because bidding for HPG info is a good example (although Amaris might think maintaining Comstar's monopoly is more important than some mercs' lives) but yeah there might be other things that'd help the Mariks out.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention but there's something really funny about the image of Duncan and Jason engaging in a blisteringly-intense three-minute battle, marching back through a tunnel and emerging to Amaris's rec-room for sports drinks and sandwiches.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Accept the challenge.

Challenge an entire Clan for something suitably absurd.

And then don't show up. Instead go on a separate mission somewhere else and gently caress their poo poo up in a strategically wise manner while they're busy assembling for their HONOR DUEL.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
I'm kinda' inclined to say we accept a challenge in exchange for a crewed dropship. It'd be the single biggest thing the Hawks could do to secure themselves as a serious fixture of the mercenary world.

The question however is how large of a force would we need to fight for one.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Comedy option: Agree to a honor duel, if Demon Hawks win they get a number of gold-painted Timber Wolves equivalent to the number of mechs they destroy in the duel.

Serious vote: No. Refuse the duel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Vorenus posted:

Comedy option: Agree to a honor duel, if Demon Hawks win they get a number of gold-painted Timber Wolves equivalent to the number of mechs they destroy in the duel.

Serious vote: No. Refuse the duel.

A $500 value!

• Locked thread