Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

KodiakRS posted:

Congrats but I don't think hosed up patterns are a goon thing. They're more of an every student pilot ever thing.

Goon pattern is from back when some of the people here were doing flight sim stuff together and when FK would be acting as tower for us he'd always be commenting on just how exceptionally terrible our circuits were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I solo'd right around the ten hour mark less than a week after getting started.

Ab initio certainly helps with that and having a glider pilots license sped things up quite a bit.

Just for shits and giggles I looked up time before my first solo in my dusty old glider logbook and it was 5 hours and 33 minutes over 27 flights.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Apollo posted:

I have officially owned my Cherokee 180 for one year.

I have flown her 86 exceedingly trouble free hours since purchase.

Highest Airport: KSKX - Taos Municipal Aiport (NM)

I'm totaling up my expenses and getting a summary together if anybody wants to read it.

(hint: the cost of the hangar outweighs any other expense)

:justpost:

EvilJoven posted:

OK so trip report.

Nice job.

I solo'd at 23.5 hrs. Maybe could have done it sooner had I not had so many month or two breaks and switching instructors. I developed a case of landitis with my second instructor that took a couple hours to break. I had the mindset that if everything wasn't absolutely perfect, my instinct was go around. I had to get it in my head that it was never going to be perfect and good enough to get on the ground without damage to the airplane or compromising the safety of the passengers or other aircraft was in fact, good enough. I was over correcting everything was trying to be too smooth/perfect.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

KodiakRS posted:

I don't know if you were ever a CFI but signing off students for their first solo is possibly the single most nerve wracking thing you can do in aviation.

I was, international students remember? Nothing like signing them off for first solo when they barely speak english and aren't in any way competent!
I did refuse one student, got hassled to no end about it, finally one of the team leaders signed him off and was gloating about how nothing went wrong til on the last solo dude taxi'd it into a cactus and dented a wing quite nicely.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
4th solo circuits lesson in the Cabri today. Not the nicest day for flying but the rain added to the atmosphere and it was a cool experience to see what it does to your vis (especially at low speeds while taxiing because it doesn't clear off the windshield). A taxi from and back to base was included today sans instructor, previous solos have involved dropping the instructor next to the main pad to watch while I circulate. So I guess that means they trust me enough that they'll go back inside where it's warm and drink coffee and whatnot while I fly around by myself! :)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Great, now I want to fly a helicopter.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Did you at least get soaked EJ?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya for like 3 grand so far. :homebrew:

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Tide posted:

I solo'd at 23.5 hrs. Maybe could have done it sooner had I not had so many month or two breaks and switching instructors. I developed a case of landitis with my second instructor that took a couple hours to break. I had the mindset that if everything wasn't absolutely perfect, my instinct was go around. I had to get it in my head that it was never going to be perfect and good enough to get on the ground without damage to the airplane or compromising the safety of the passengers or other aircraft was in fact, good enough. I was over correcting everything was trying to be too smooth/perfect.

I have you beat at approx 27hrs. I was just plain lousy at learning to land (crosswind inputs in particular) and can only usually fly once a week. The two things did not combine well. It was a couple of months of really frustrating pattern work. I've just completed the PPL requirements (XC's etc) and should be ready for checkride after 65-70hrs and one year start to finish. Not fantastic, but could be worse. Flying 2-3 times a week would have probably reduced that number by 10 hours.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Not sure about that. It took me about a six to eight months to log those 23.5 hours.

It SUCKED.

Started near the end of summer (lol like it ever cools down here anyway) just in time for the rain season. Then awesome here comes Thanksgiving and Christmas and oh awesome more freaking rain. Then whoops I think I may owe the IRS a decent chunk of change this year better put all 'frivolous' spending on hold for two months because I think I'm going to get rawdogged by Uncle Sam while at the same time the wife has hinted several times that she wants the family to go to Colorado this year since we skipped last two years and it would be awesome to go with our friends this year and BLAMMO there goes my our fun money account.

Then awesome uncle Sam yells full throttle "GOING IN RAW!!!" without the courtesy of a reacharound then HOLY CRAP WE'RE BUYING ANOTHER HOUSE.

What I'm saying is that every time I blinked I was getting hit for a bunch of money and weather delays. Also the month that the plane I was training on went down for annual.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Saturday in the pattern was gusty and bumpy and a little unnerving.

Today was like I was up with a dance partner. It was perfect.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I didn't solo until about 40 hours. I've heard that certain types of planes you are more likely to solo earlier than others. My instructor had told me that when they had a cub people soloing at the 10 hour mark wasn't uncommon. That being said 40 was considered late for me with a 172. And not getting a cert until 100 hours was also rather more than normal.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So I noticed this interesting place while flying around northern Nevada today. It appears to be an airstrip and a golf course out in the middle of nowhere. If the E-2 didn't need an entire aircraft carrier worth of GSE to get started, I would totally be planning a "proficiency" out-and-in flight out there.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So I noticed this interesting place while flying around northern Nevada today. It appears to be an airstrip and a golf course out in the middle of nowhere. If the E-2 didn't need an entire aircraft carrier worth of GSE to get started, I would totally be planning a "proficiency" out-and-in flight out there.

GSE - Gas Turbine Systems Technician - Electrical? I can't figure out what else that acronym is for.

Also, that's almost in Idaho!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ground Support Equipment.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also, you're a naval aviator. All you have to do is tell your CO 'It's an airfield with a golf course just off the ramp' and he'll approve shipping a sea can filled with GSE and enough yellow shirts (or whatever the gently caress shirt gets your poo poo started) there before hand.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

EvilJoven posted:

Ground Support Equipment.

Yeah, that. No APU means it needs a huffer cart and a power cart just to get started. Kind of puts a damper on the cross-country options.

EvilJoven posted:

Also, you're a naval aviator. All you have to do is tell your CO 'It's an airfield with a golf course just off the ramp' and he'll approve shipping a sea can filled with GSE and enough yellow shirts (or whatever the gently caress shirt gets your poo poo started) there before hand.

Well if we're living in that world, we'll just ship some equipment out on a unicorn and start the plane with rainbow glitter farts.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Are the rainbow glitter farts pumped into the engine from like a start cart or is it like a big rear end blank cartridge?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Fun fact. My first ATC facility was supposed to be Ann Arbor. 3500ft paved runway, intersected by a grass strip. Tower only.

Thankfully, I got my assignment changed.

Eh, short hop to downtown and it is a college town -- students are fun. But the pay didn't sound fun...

The Slaughter posted:

movax when you say seattle, is KRNT convenient for you? cause that's sort of the seaplane activity hub around here.
BEFA would be the best if you plan to rent the floatplane and actually plan on ever taking it solo or taking it on cross countries. Literally nobody else will, so if you don't plan on buying one, it will be nothing but a merit badge or you always have to bring an instructor with you.
You can just get sponsored by a CFI to join as a guest member. It's a pain though and the dues are high. I quit because I wasn't flying enough to justify the $100/mo in dues. If you're flying a bunch though the hourly rates are fantastic because you pay tach instead of hobbs so all your pattern work for example is nearly 1/2 price if you make nice power off approaches like you should in any light single piston aircraft.

FK, ann arbor wouldn't have really been that bad. When I was there, I never saw anybody actually use the grass runway. And it was pretty slow. You would have just been looking out the window most of the time.

Yeah, it can be. I was doing some research on the seaplane places, and while anyone could take the coursework, they wouldn't let you just rent them and go do your own thing.

Still have to start with the regular training before that though, I figure I can go 'anywhere' for seaplane stuff after learning the basics. Good thing I don't like money!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Just leave one motor idling the entire time and hot-fuel as needed.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Hey movax, whatsup in WA? I am in Brooklyn now.

I'll I've got to say is that everyone I know who did their floatplane add-on have universally hailed it as the most fun you can have with your pants on.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I want an amphibious Otter and if by some miracle that ever happens I will definitely need to refer to the section in the AFM that describes how to properly tie a canoe to the outside of the thing.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Animal posted:

Hey movax, whatsup in WA? I am in Brooklyn now.

I'll I've got to say is that everyone I know who did their floatplane add-on have universally hailed it as the most fun you can have with your pants on.

It is, but basically all the schools only do it as an add-on, so unless you own your own seaplane you're not going to be able to do your solo time since they won't rent their aircraft without a CFI on board.

e: Which has already been said and understood after rereading what everyone has said.

fordan fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 30, 2016

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So, a lot has changed since I last posted (OP needs updating, badly).

Desi = YOW - ASEL Comm - Class 4 Flight Instructor
Desi = YOW AMEL FI (Class 2), FII, MEI (I guess, 'murican terms but whatever)

I'm still instructing but switched schools and aircraft to the mighty Piper Seminole . I'd update my location in the OP but it would give away my employer - hint: if you're in Canada, you've heard about us for Multi and IFR training. I've also upgraded to what we up here call a Class 2 instructor which means I can supervise junior instructors and be a Chief Flight Instructor. For bragging rights only I'm probably going to get that Class 1 rating (which lets you create other instructors clones.

While I'm digging the challenge of teaching super fast paced Mult and IFR ratings I'm definitely ready to wrap this teaching thing up. You guys have it good with access to big pilot mills to just get those hours and move on in the states. I'm 2.5 years into teaching at some of the busiest schools in the country and just about to crack 1100TT with 150 multi. Thankfully I should be able to bust through the 1500 by winter, hopefully with 500 of it being multi.

So, that said, question for you Canadians in the airline world in this thread. Rumors are aplenty in the flight schools but I have limited access to people with first hand infromation. What's the hiring scoop for the duration of 2016? Something like Jazz or Porter attainable? SkyRegional or Georgian? I really would like to avoid going up to the hinterland - I'm more a city guy, I wouldn't really cut it in the bush, haha.

I'd fly for an American regional in a heartbeat, but they still haven't figured out a way to get Canadians work visas. Which sucks, getting a standalone FAA certificate right now is a joke but Pilot doesn't fall into that list of NAFTA professions that would let me work effectively sponsorship free...

Desi fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 30, 2016

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Oh boy they're making a Sully movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjKEXxO2KNE This is going to be hilarious.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Does he break into a rant about regional airline pay during the crash?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
And of course it's Tom Hanks.

Don't get me wrong, all things considered he's a fine person and actor, but really?

So basically it's going to be Flight but without the booze, cocaine, hookers, and John Goodman?

Tide fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 30, 2016

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

Oh boy they're making a Sully movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjKEXxO2KNE This is going to be hilarious.

:goonsay: theres some 737's there with scimitar winglets those were not in use yet. will not watch.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Animal posted:

:goonsay: theres some 737's there with scimitar winglets those were not in use yet. will not watch.

The two regional jets next to the Airbus at the gate, and another AA jet as it's taxiing all have the 2013+ livery too.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I went up Tuesday with my instructor to practice short field work and again this morning to practice solo. When I got down my instructor said there's this thing called the Webster Memorial Trophy and I should really think about competing for it.

I googled it and basically he's telling me he thinks I have a shot at being recognized as the best amateur pilot in the country.

I appreciate the vote of confidence but still :stare:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KodiakRS posted:

Directed by Clint Eastwood.

EvilJoven posted:

I went up Tuesday with my instructor to practice short field work and again this morning to practice solo. When I got down my instructor said there's this thing called the Webster Memorial Trophy and I should really think about competing for it.

I googled it and basically he's telling me he thinks I have a shot at being recognized as the best amateur pilot in the country.

Good luck.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

EvilJoven posted:

Go for it son.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Worst case is you're out $25? You get to log those hours anyways!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Missed the deadline already. Will shoot for 2017.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Let this be a lesson (as a counterexample) to web site writers, wrt. basic usable information about what you are writing about. It took me 10 minutes of digging to figure out what happens at this competition, which turns out to be a private/commercial checkride with more detailed scoring. <-- watch, see how easy that was? Jesus.

In other news, my 135 company just tried to get me to drive 9 hours starting at about 1 am and then fly 3 legs of 3-3.5 hours total :lol:

vessbot fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 1, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I probably had 25ish hours when I soloed. My 141 program had the solo at Lesson 13 and that estimate goes off those 13 lessons probably averaging 1.3 plus a couple review flights I had to do. I'll actually have to look at my logbook because I don't even remember.

Re: Sully. There aren't many movies anymore I want to see in theaters. That will not be one of them. Does the world need this movie?

hobbesmaster posted:

Does he break into a rant about regional airline pay during the crash?

I'm fully expecting a scene where Sully, in a scene of true heroism late in the movie, goes before a Congressional panel and talk of the horrors of pilots with less than 1,500TT being in command of regional aircraft.

The real Sully will make a cameo appearance as one of the Representatives and applaud Sully for speaking out on such unspeakable acts.

e- I skipped through the trailer and was amused by Mike O'Malley, of GUTS fame to Millennials, being an investigator.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 1, 2016

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Anybody near Fresno, CA that can recommend a good flight school? I'm not looking for anything too crazy, just my PPL to start.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is any of that trailer based on reality? I mean no doubt the dude faced some scrutiny and a lot of stress after the incident but, really.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Looked it up because I was curious, I soloed at about 14 hours. Just in the pattern at a towered airport, but still.

I'm hoping to finish prepping for my checkride by the end of this month, any tips? I'm studying the oral exam standards book, which a lot easier now that school's out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arcella posted:

Looked it up because I was curious, I soloed at about 14 hours. Just in the pattern at a towered airport, but still.

I'd be surprised if anyone soloed further than that their first time :v:

• Locked thread