Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/30/exclusive-specs-for-marlin-the-larger-of-two-upcoming-htc-built-nexus-phones/

Apparently AP got more concrete evidence that the new HTC Nexus specs are real so they've bumped their "rating system" to 9/10.

Whatever.

Anyway, current rumor is that the bigger of the two Nexus have a 5.5" QHD screen...and bottom-firing speakers.

I sure hope everyone didn't get used to the nice front-facing ones from the 6 and 6P (5X doesn't have dual speakers on the front)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I really wish they'd make phones slightly thicker with bigger batteries :(

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'd be happy with a 1cm thick phone with ridiculous battery life. It'd probably be easier to hold too.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

SwissCM posted:

I'd be happy with a 1cm thick phone with ridiculous battery life. It'd probably be easier to hold too.

Put a battery case on any phone and live the dream?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

DuckConference posted:

Put a battery case on any phone and live the dream?

It's not the same :(

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I also think thicker phones are fine. I'm not willing to give up my Droid Turbo even though I'm still on Lollipop with no Marshmallow or Nougat (lol yeah right) in sight.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I thought thicker phones were fine until I tried a battery case and realized it was all I needed for my s7edge to cross into"uncomfortable when seated" size.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
I also don't mind thicker phones. As long as my phone fits in my pocket then I'm happy. I don't really get the hard on the industry has for making phones ULLLLTRA THIN, especially once you start to lose critical features like headphone jacks in an attempt to chase that rabbit.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mogomra posted:

I also think thicker phones are fine. I'm not willing to give up my Droid Turbo even though I'm still on Lollipop with no Marshmallow or Nougat (lol yeah right) in sight.

Yeah, I always thought my Turbo felt good in hand. I like the aluminum feel of the 6P, but I might like it better with a thin case (using a Diztronic) on it because it adds just a bit of thickness. Also, phone speakers mean so little to me that I don't really care if the next Nexus has bottom firing or not. I would say I liked the single front speaker on the Turbo more than the dual front facing on the 6P because it was a nice balance between "point the sound in the right direction" and "not have giant bezels".

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

SwissCM posted:

The last time I had nougat I violently threw it all up.

Syrinxx posted:

Nougat is delicious

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I am feeling the lust to upgrade my phone. Currently rocking a Nexus 6 and I love the huge screen... anything out there right now a measurable upgrade? I would like a better battery and camera...

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Captain Yossarian posted:

I am feeling the lust to upgrade my phone. Currently rocking a Nexus 6 and I love the huge screen... anything out there right now a measurable upgrade? I would like a better battery and camera...

The power button on my Nexus 6 broke and I bought a secondhand 5x. The battery life is miserable compared to the 6 but after systemless root (which lets you install OTA upgrades) and installing amplify and greenify it's almost usable. I can get about 3 hours screen on time.

:negative:

I'm currently on vacation but I need my two-factor tokens. I'm planning on giving the elementalX kernel a try when i get back to work. Supposedly it's quite an improvement.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

I'll get lynched for this but the Galaxy S7 is a solid phone. I get between 5-6 hours screen on time and so far it's got security updates in good time, once before my Nexus 7 2013.

The standby time is excellent too; with light use I can get from 0730 to 2200 with nearly 90% battery left. I've never had a Samsung before so I'm no fanboy. The TouchWiz overlay isn't too intrusive and it's a fairly nippy device to use.

If you covet larger screens, the S7 Edge would be the better, but more expensive, option.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If you use Good Lock from the galaxy app store it makes it even better too.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

what the hell else dessert can you do with n? Napoleon?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'll get lynched for this but the Galaxy S7 is a solid phone. I get between 5-6 hours screen on time and so far it's got security updates in good time, once before my Nexus 7 2013.

The standby time is excellent too; with light use I can get from 0730 to 2200 with nearly 90% battery left. I've never had a Samsung before so I'm no fanboy. The TouchWiz overlay isn't too intrusive and it's a fairly nippy device to use.

If you covet larger screens, the S7 Edge would be the better, but more expensive, option.

Your standby time is wild to me. My week old S7 drops 10% or more just overnight sitting on my bedside table. Did you disable something to get it to last like that?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Does anyone know of a good, freeware, preferably over-use program/method for saving messages from my old Sony Xperia Sola to a file on my computer in a somewhat readable format? I don't ever need to backup or re-transfer them to my phone, I just want to be able to open the file on my PC and re-read the message thread.

Tried looking online, but couldn't find anything but dodgy crap from you-backup-now-android-phone.notmalware.org.cn.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Soul Glo posted:

Your standby time is wild to me. My week old S7 drops 10% or more just overnight sitting on my bedside table. Did you disable something to get it to last like that?

Negative, I don't have Facebook installed but I do use Facebook Messenger. For Facebook I use Swipe Pro.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Negative, I don't have Facebook installed but I do use Facebook Messenger. For Facebook I use Swipe Pro.

I don't even have the Facebook app. Weird.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

vyst posted:

I just wonder what they're gonna do when they get to Android Q.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

docbeard posted:

Android Quiche, get hype.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

docbeard posted:

Quince is pretty much their only choice unless they want to use a non-English dessert name.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Dummies

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It will also launch Project Hare, aimed at getting rid of UI lag once and for all.

Unfortunately, all the bugs won't be worked out until Android Trix with Project Rabbit.

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010
Short version: how do you remove pre-installed software in an Android device?

I have a tablet I bought myself, at a normal electronics retailer.
It does not support SIM cards or mobile service, so I would assume that it wouldn't be blocking me from obtaining root access (if I don't have root access, I don't know who else would...).

The Wildtangent Games app came preinstalled, and it keeps starting up on its own or when I hit random links in the Chrome browser.
There is no obvious way to uninstall it, and disabling everything about it doesn't seem to have any effect.
All the permissions it has are still shown. If I could take those all away I think that would be enough, but it won't let me do that.
Wildtangent Games is the ONLY app that does this; no other app has this problem.
So I want Wildtangent Games either permanently broken, or gone for good. I never use it and the games suck (I played a couple games one time, and found them rigged and littered with ads).

I have searched online but cannot find any actual information on how to do this.
Either there's granny-level tech help pages that just say "you can't do that, you can only disable it",
or there is ad-pages where some place wants you to install THEIR app, in order to get rid of apps. I don't want another crapware app on the tablet, it has one too many already.

I'm assuming there MUST be a way to do this manually, they just don't wanna tell you.
I know how to program PCs in a few different languages, and have even written a few small android apps in Android Studio. I dunno much about the android OS details tho.
????

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You don't have root by default. You need to have an unlocked device to gain access to it, and then do a bunch more stuff that I don't remember since it's been years since I rooted a device (there's a root thread somewhere around here).

Buying a plain device from a retailer doesn't guarantee it's unlocked. Devices come locked down from the manufacturer and it's a case by case basis if you can unlock it (either by legitimate means or by using a hacked together workaround).

What tablet did you buy? That would give more info.

Without root, there will be apps you can't uninstall. System apps, specific Google apps, and some bloatware the manufacturer installed. If you go into App Info (Settings - > Apps), you should be able to at least "disable" the app, which would prevent it from running if not uninstalling.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

vyst posted:

Android Nun's Farts

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

:aaaaa:

Shame on Google for not using this.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

If you're a fan of big screens and looking for shiny brand new, the Note 7 should be about a month and a half away.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

:aaaaa:

Shame on Google for not using this.

I was fine with Nougat until learning about Nun Farts

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

vyst posted:

Nutella, although I guess they've been positioning themselves as a "healthy" breakfast spread which Google may have believed

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vyst posted:

How far into life have you gotten thinking that chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream sold together was named after a French emperor?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

How far into life have you gotten thinking that chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream sold together was named after a French emperor?

Uh, a Napoleon is a tasty French pastry/cream dessert.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, a Napoleon is a tasty French pastry/cream dessert.

Huh, so it is. I've only ever heard those referred to as mille-feuille or custard pie.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Huh, so it is. I've only ever heard those referred to as mille-feuille or custard pie.

I grew up calling them literally "napoleons" and they always had custard, mmm

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I grew up calling them literally "napoleons" and they always had custard, mmm

It doesn't surprise me that I'd never heard the name. The state I'm in has about ten towns with French names and not a single one is pronounced correctly by the people living there. "Custard pie" is what I'd expect them to call something everyone else knows as something else.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

LastInLine posted:

It doesn't surprise me that I'd never heard the name. The state I'm in has about ten towns with French names and not a single one is pronounced correctly by the people living there. "Custard pie" is what I'd expect them to call something everyone else knows as something else.

I'm guessing you've got a Versailles (ver-sales).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mr. Powers posted:

Ugh, like nails on a chalkboard.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They intentionally gently caress everything up. Lima, OH (Lie-ma) is another example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Mr. Powers posted:

Northeastern Connecticut has a Versailles... and the locals call it Ver-Sales, none of that pansy French poo poo.

OK, Mr. FAWKS-TON.