Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Augus posted:

The world isn't ready to hear Balthier talk without an absurd amount of audio compression.

You shut your whore mouth, some of us need this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
FFV: The After Years, starring Galuf's band just after sealing Exdeath to be some other world's problem.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

FFV: The After Years, starring Galuf's band just after sealing Exdeath to be some other world's problem.

That would be The Before Years.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Yeah, we already got FFV The After Years and it was fuckin' bizarre. Cid becomes Mother Brain and his grandson's a booty ghost.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sing to me, O thread, of Brave Exvius. What the gently caress is this game? I have heard the word "gacha" associated with it, which means it's probably the worst game in the series.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Harrow posted:

At least the Iron Golem you can fight in the Platinum Demo has tells so big they might as well be QTEs, so if that's true then Tabata clearly got overruled/convinced otherwise.

Yeah I've seen videos of that, it's so telegraphed though that it looks almost like a training dummy to me. Hopefully you're right, from past Tabata game experience I think he should have been overruled a hell of a lot more on a lot of aspects in his previous games

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

Sing to me, O thread, of Brave Exvius. What the gently caress is this game? I have heard the word "gacha" associated with it, which means it's probably the worst game in the series.

If you enjoyed anything like Puzzle and Dragons or FF Record Keeper, you're likely fine.

It has its own thread here. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776839

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

thorsilver posted:

He likes bad combat systems. Type-0 HD is bad, The 3rd Birthday is bad.

What's not to like about Type-0 HD? among other things, pretty much all the enemies have easy tells, and it's nice to be able to switch between all kinds of different weapons

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rirse posted:

Adventure of Mana for the most part a faithful remake of the original GB game with 3D graphics with a new script, but added some quality of life features so it not just a better looking gameboy game. It has the ring system from Secret of Mana for equipping, along with three shortcut buttons to set weapons on, which is useful when you need to cross a gap with the whip and then want to go back to the sword.

Sword of Mana changed things too much, throwing out all the Final Fantasy referneces like the Chocobo, while trying to make the story seem deeper. But trying to change a simple Gameboy plot game made it fall on it's face. There is just so much wrong with the changes to the plot, as it made everything melodramatic, but gets to the point of parody after a while. You give a big speech to avenge your friends to the Dark Lord in the game, but when you fight Julius, you give a big speech to avenge those people, including the Dark Lord and other villain you killed.

Also I didn't really like the art style Sword of Mana had. I never really care for the look from SD3 and on which Sword of Mana now used. Which compared to Adventure of Mana and Secret of Mana more simple style.

Forgot about this but thanks for the heads-up! Kinda glad they stuck more to FFA since I agree with you regarding Sword's ridiculous story. It's so god drat overwrought and trying way too hard to be clever and deep for a remake of a game where you ride a chocobo with robot legs.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

fount of knowledge posted:

:same:, but Final Fantasy X-2 and the Jecht/Braska/Auron bro'adtrip

Now I want to play this

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
As I played FF8, I regularly found myself thinking "I'd rather be playing a game about Laguna's adventure."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So did everybody

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Squall is much cooler than Laguna

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Help Im Alive posted:

Squall is much cooler than Laguna

Whatever

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
look man at least laguna got his dick wet, squall is gonna drop rinoa like it's hot as soon as she disses his favorite nin album

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

What is Squall's favorite NIN album? Inquiring minds need to know.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Downward Spiral obvs

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Odd, I swore he would have liked The Fragile.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

thorsilver posted:

Yeah I've seen videos of that, it's so telegraphed though that it looks almost like a training dummy to me. Hopefully you're right, from past Tabata game experience I think he should have been overruled a hell of a lot more on a lot of aspects in his previous games

If nothing else, they're also implementing Wait mode in FFXV. If you have it enabled, it freezes everything in combat whenever you're not actively inputting commands. You have a Wait meter that ticks down slowly so you have a limited amount of "freeze" time in each fight, but during wait mode you can issue orders to your other party members, queue up spells and actions, that kind of thing. I was surprised to see it but it looks like it might work pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YxUeraE_c8

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tabata is a manager. He's not the battle system maker, or the writer, or an animator, or musician. He's the coach of a basketball team, not the actual star player.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Now I won't be satisfied until I see FF15-2 is about Tabata's character-insert becoming star basketball player for the Insomnia Never-Dreams.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My main memories of Sword of Mana are A) some guy described me killing his mom after she turned into a soul-sucking murderbeast and killed a bunch of people as "for no reason" and B) AI for the secondary character that was so bad as to essentially not exist.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

My main memories of Sword of Mana are A) some guy described me killing his mom after she turned into a soul-sucking murderbeast and killed a bunch of people as "for no reason" and B) AI for the secondary character that was so bad as to essentially not exist.

Sword of Mana is amazing in that it had all the elements of a good game without actually being one. The story in particular is mind-boggling, between making a character that dies in the first minute of FFA into a major character that survives the entire journey (and makes you wish he stayed dead) to Dark Lord, the main bad guy who ended up being a puppet for second-in-command and final boss Julius into a tragic misunderstood villain who's still an rear end in a top hat that has a random fling with a vampire and who we're supposed to sympathize with because...? And don't get me started on how God drat overwrought Amanda's death is, or how the isolation of the two main characters in FFA's ending is undercut in Sword by having like fifty loving people around.

I just don't loving get that game. I blame Sword of Mana for essentially killing that series, even though the following three games were all differently bizarre and mediocre in their own unique ways.

Lambs
Feb 11, 2014

It's not FF, but Star Ocean 5 looks like poo poo. Anybody played this? Mediocre reviews all over probably isn't helping.
Tri-Ace, you used to be cool.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Ha, that's what you think. And the other people who think the same. You all think that thought!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mega64 posted:

Sword of Mana is amazing in that it had all the elements of a good game without actually being one. The story in particular is mind-boggling, between making a character that dies in the first minute of FFA into a major character that survives the entire journey (and makes you wish he stayed dead) to Dark Lord, the main bad guy who ended up being a puppet for second-in-command and final boss Julius into a tragic misunderstood villain who's still an rear end in a top hat that has a random fling with a vampire and who we're supposed to sympathize with because...? And don't get me started on how God drat overwrought Amanda's death is, or how the isolation of the two main characters in FFA's ending is undercut in Sword by having like fifty loving people around.

I just don't loving get that game. I blame Sword of Mana for essentially killing that series, even though the following three games were all differently bizarre and mediocre in their own unique ways.

Yeah I totally agree. Prior to Sword of Mana, the Mana games were generally well liked. Legend of Mana had faults but it was still a fun beat-em-up. But Sword of Mana just really off the rails. Also characters like Dark Lord and Amanda got bought up EVERY SCENE after they died as a reason for the characters to fight the evil. I think they do the big speach to Dark Lord about avenging their friends, he gets murdered by the Jester from SD3, and next fight they include him in the people they want to avenge!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

have they still never released seiken densetsu 3 here. hasnt there been a fan translation of that for like 15 years now

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mega64 posted:

Legend of Mana is not mediocre :colbert:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Super No Vacancy posted:

have they still never released seiken densetsu 3 here. hasnt there been a fan translation of that for like 15 years now

I played it back in 1999 I think so it's been longer than that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It also came out before Sword of Mana

Mega64
May 23, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

It also came out before Sword of Mana

Legend of Mana is one of my all-time favorite games, though I think it caused Square to take the Mana series in a direction it shouldn't have gone.

The three games I'm talking about are Children of Mana (dungeon crawler without any real story to speak of), Dawn of Mana (Pong: The RPG), and Heroes of Mana (DS RTS game yes really), though the only one of those I've played at length was Children. Children played functionally like a Mana game but doesn't really have the series' heart in it, Dawn took the gameplay into a really odd direction since there's no permanent character progression and you fight enemies by smacking them into other enemies, and Heroes...is a DS RTS game.

One of these days I need to give all of those another try.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Children of Mana was just boring, there was nothing to it, no story or characters, no interesting items or skills, just running through randomly generated dungeons to level up so you could do more randomly generated dungeons for no reason.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Super No Vacancy posted:

Lowkey the best Mana game in the entire series and I even though I prefer Sword of Mana, I hope Adventures does well so we can get more remakes.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Dawn took the gameplay into a really odd direction since there's no permanent character progression and you fight enemies by smacking them into other enemies

The best part is that it's not that you're knocking them into each other, it's that you're scaring the poo poo out of monsters so that they'll be distracted long enough to beat on. Bigger tougher guys take more to freak out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
haha remember revenant wings

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Super No Vacancy posted:

That was basically the first really big fan translation project and it's nuts that it never got officially released in the US. The game is so good, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

haha remember revenant wings

Did anyone even play Revenant Wings?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I did

Never beat it though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I did.

The scene where Vaan punches Balthier is actually pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

I did.

The scene where Vaan punches Balthier is actually pretty great.

This is one of like, three moments I can actually remember from that game