Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Why did we ever leave Road America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CBJSprague24 posted:

gently caress Push-To-Pass, what a dumbass loving Fast and Furious gimmick.

...good race, though.

I don't agree.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BMB5150 posted:

Does it matter? Good race.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

BMB5150 posted:

Because people do stupid things.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Because people do stupid things.

The people who ran indycar and the people who ran RA kept butting heads over sanctioning fees.

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/747146624208625666

Now? I think both parties are INSANELY happy.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Loved how the race ended, but if Daly's car hadn't crapped itself it would have been a bit of a snoozer at the end.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

gently caress Push-To-Pass, what a dumbass loving Fast and Furious gimmick.

...good race, though.

the concept is OK, the implementation leaves a lot to be desired, as you invariably end up in a situation like today, where a slow car is leading a faster car that has fewer P2Ps

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Good run for Graham. Gotta watch the race when I get home from work

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wicka posted:

the concept is OK, the implementation leaves a lot to be desired, as you invariably end up in a situation like today, where a slow car is leading a faster car that has fewer P2Ps

To be fair, I don't think any other track on the schedule stands to gain so much from use of it. Long straightaways and a lot of drag from the DW12 meant if you got a good run you could get the pass properly done before the braking zone.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
What happened to Pagenaud?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Timing issue, I think? Was only running on 5 cylinders at the finish.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

WindyMan posted:

That track, tho

Flemington. I've been looking for this track for a while. It's the square track that the Trucks used to run early in the history of the series. You tend not to forget one like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cl943UqoH8

browsing YouTube and figured I'd revisit this post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdqMNt6VpxE

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It's still over a week out, but here's the forecast weather for Iowa:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

:siren: :australia: :siren:

quote:

OPEN-wheeler IndyCars may once again be racing around the streets of Surfers Paradise — maybe as soon as next year — if secret government talks are successful.

A private consortium is negotiating with Tourism and Events Queensland to bring the US version of Formula 1 back to the Gold Coast streets during an annual weeklong motorsports extravaganza.

This “back to the future” move was revealed yesterday as Supercars announced their cars will be on the streets of Surfers Paradise until 2019 under a deal brokered with the Queensland Government.

The Bulletin has seen documents giving a Coast-based consortium the right to negotiate for an IndyCar race in Australia.

Between 1991 and 2008 the annual IndyCar event in Surfers Paradise attracted 4,805,761 fans, with an average attendance of 252,000 bringing an estimated economic return of more than $761 million.

Link

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

AWESOME.

Will Power, Scott Dixon should be promoted the hell out of for this.

Matty Brabs, and Ryan Briscoe should have rides for it.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
I would gladly spend large sums of money to attend an IndyCar race at Surfers Paradise. 2018 would be ideal since I wanna blow the majority of my 2017 race budget on a 10-day west coast trip to do the MRTI finale at Laguna Seca then the IndyCar finale at Sonoma

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

indycar exploring a bold new strategy of racing at good tracks

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
dont worry still plenty of chances to trip and fall into another 1.5m oval

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
the short Surfers Paradise circuit is A Bad Track. Sorry to disappoint you all.

Should've tried Adelaide.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

If you can go to Surfers for the race do it.... the atmosphere was/is fantastic!

Also.... :getin:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dsriggs posted:

the short Surfers Paradise circuit is A Bad Track. Sorry to disappoint you all.

Should've tried Adelaide.

That's a shame. I watched the '96 race yesterday. Neat track.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Goodyear Thunderdome :colbert:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Not going to lie... I would love to see at least one oval race held in Australia.

I never did see anything race at the Calder, back when the Auscar series was a thing.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

freeranger posted:

Not going to lie... I would love to see at least one oval race held in Australia.

I never did see anything race at the Calder, back when the Auscar series was a thing.

XFS should race at Rockingham, and Eurospeedway with IndyCar

Motegi and Calder Park by itself.

(with Indy returning to Motegi on it's own separate date)

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Calder would be... interesting in the Indycars, it was basically a scaled down Charlotte with similar banking - think it was 1.1 miles so not much longer than Milwaukee. Probably the closest thing in America would be Dover, and that really didn't work for the Indycars...

The first half of this video is AUSCAR at Calder, its odd to watch for a reason that quickly becomes apparent. The second half of the video is the NASCAR Australia series they had for a while and they drive the right way round for that one. An odd series really; it basically ran a tonne at Calder and then followed the V8s around for a few of their races and maybe also getting a support slot at the Australian Grand Prix or the Indycar race, there's video of them racing NASCAR cars at Bathurst and Surfers Paradise and they might have done Adelaide as well. Not exactly related to Indycars, but its an odd bit of racing history that I find kind of interesting

e: here you go, stock cars at Surfers. Its a bit odd to watch

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 1, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

XFS should race at Rockingham, and Eurospeedway with IndyCar

Motegi and Calder Park by itself.

(with Indy returning to Motegi on it's own separate date)

I don't think Honda is interested in rebuilding the oval.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

IceAgeComing posted:

Calder would be... interesting in the Indycars, it was basically a scaled down Charlotte with similar banking - think it was 1.1 miles so not much longer than Milwaukee. Probably the closest thing in America would be Dover, and that really didn't work for the Indycars...

The first half of this video is AUSCAR at Calder, its odd to watch for a reason that quickly becomes apparent. The second half of the video is the NASCAR Australia series they had for a while and they drive the right way round for that one. An odd series really; it basically ran a tonne at Calder and then followed the V8s around for a few of their races and maybe also getting a support slot at the Australian Grand Prix or the Indycar race, there's video of them racing NASCAR cars at Bathurst and Surfers Paradise and they might have done Adelaide as well. Not exactly related to Indycars, but its an odd bit of racing history that I find kind of interesting

The only other oval on the calendar was Adelaide International Raceway. Loving the drag strip front stretch.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

IceAgeComing posted:

Thanks for all of that, was interesting to see. I appreciate it all :)

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Sling TV has added NBC channels, including NBCSN to their new $25/mo "Sling Blue" package. Of course you'll need extra $5/mo "world news extra" package to get CNBC on the off chance the races get bumped.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I did the free Sling preview when they launched a while back and it was pretty cool, but the app didn't get along with my Chromecast about half the time. Might give it another chance now.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Check out the new Graham Rahal Steak N' Shake die cast.

I'd love for him to sign it for me.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Not enough wings.

That reminds me though, I was really surprised at how much merchandise they had at Road America. I didn't think they even made diecast Indycars anymore, but they had like the whole drat field in 1/64, and even a few in 1/18. I was a little tempted.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Lord Crapulus posted:

Not enough wings.

That reminds me though, I was really surprised at how much merchandise they had at Road America. I didn't think they even made diecast Indycars anymore, but they had like the whole drat field in 1/64, and even a few in 1/18. I was a little tempted.

If I have not one but two different Jumpin' Jack Johnson dirt modifieds in 1/25th, then you can find diecasts of anything

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/honda-unlikely-to-power-the-indycar-champion-794497/

quote:

The Iowa test times, along with data from Detroit, Texas and Road America, suggest Honda can add wins to its Indy 500 triumph, but won't prevent a Chevrolet driver from taking the title. David Malsher explains.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

quote:

On the driving side, Munoz, Rahal, Rossi and Hunter-Reay have the chops to compete for the title.

Uh, were really putting Munoz and Rossi in there... and really, how does that compare to Dixon, Kannan, Pagenaud, Power, Montoya, Newgarden, and Bourdais? Honda's big problem is both team and driver right now.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Uh, were really putting Munoz and Rossi in there... and really, how does that compare to Dixon, Kannan, Pagenaud, Power, Montoya, Newgarden, and Bourdais? Honda's big problem is both team and driver right now.

Pretty sure Malsher was just listing the best 4 Honda drivers, but we all know none of them have any real chance of winning without bowties

I'm really excited to attend Iowa this weekend, it's one track I've never been to before. Anyone else attending? I'm tent camping at the track Fri-Sun.

Most excited to see the Pro Mazda's this weekend since this is their Talladega

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

KingShibby posted:

Pretty sure Malsher was just listing the best 4 Honda drivers, but we all know none of them have any real chance of winning without bowties

I'm really excited to attend Iowa this weekend, it's one track I've never been to before. Anyone else attending? I'm tent camping at the track Fri-Sun.

Rahal has a bowtie :colbert:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Flikken posted:

Rahal has a bowtie :colbert:

:doh: you are correct

I've never bought a crew shirt before, but if were ever to buy one it'd be a Graham Steak 'n Shake shirt

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Pro Mazda cancelled this weekend. Apparently since real life isn't iRacing, an entry list of six cars doesn't make an official race. They're adding another round at Laguna Seca to make up for it.

http://www.racer.com/road-to-indy/item/131495-pro-mazda-iowa-race-moved-to-monterey-for-tripleheader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Lord Crapulus posted:

Pro Mazda cancelled this weekend. Apparently since real life isn't iRacing, an entry list of six cars doesn't make an official race. They're adding another round at Laguna Seca to make up for it.

http://www.racer.com/road-to-indy/item/131495-pro-mazda-iowa-race-moved-to-monterey-for-tripleheader

gently caress me I'm way off today :smithicide:

At least ARCA is there so there's 3 series running this weekend, should still be good for the fans

• Locked thread