Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Malice
Nov 16, 2011
1A) Yes

2F) An entire Clan

3) What should the Demon Hawks ask for if they win?

Duncan looks at his hand and immediately knows what he wants from the clanners

A single Reuben sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

The Demon Hawks have already earned literally tons of money and goods (so far) on top of the super sweet mechs the Rim Worlds are giving to them like candy, the Clan don't have anything to really offer them. Even if they need a dropship for future merc work, I'm sure Duncan, being the smooth talker that he is, can negotiate with the NRWR let them have one of the left over Clan dropships once this campaign is won by signing a temporary non-aggression contract or something.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 1, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hot drat that was a great update, PTN!

As for the vote, I'll look down and whisper

No.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
1B) No, insultingly.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 1, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You challenge an entire clan but all you get is the remainder of the Ghost Bear trinary and an iou for a ride on the exodus road to visit your imaginary 40 acres on a planet you've never heard of.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
1A, 2B Fight a cluster for their dropship (An Overlord-C or equivalent) and sufficient staff/personnel/expertise to operate and maintain it, possibly a binary of decent omnifighters (not sure if we can ask for these if only fighting ground forces). I don't know if personnel are on the table, if they aren't then ask for technical manuals, etc. and personnel can be hired from NRWR. Probably ask for a trinary of mechs, hopefully including a Hellstar.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
That update :captainpop:

Voting 1A)

2F) All of Clan Snow Raven

3) For their remaining fleet assets in system (or if we don't think that would fly, a working jumpship)

Stefan Amaris the insane genius wastrel already sunk their battleship. We should run off with the rest of their toys and shame them even more.

Hopefully we can beat Ath into the dirt, and Bethany will actually get a chance to shoot at him in the upcoming mission.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

1A) No, insultingly.

This had better be literally the situation of us saying no if we do.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
1B, by asking for a McKenna in exchange for fighting a whole clan. If they say yes call back and say you need to see the McKenna first.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

1B

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 1, 2016

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Yes.

A whole clan.

We want a Cruiser.

e: while I remain of the opinion that the Hawks should roll big and go for something they can't get from anywhere else and would immediately propel them into the merc world top tier, the option that isn't on the table but which I'm sure PTN would go with would be to make a bid and then just use it as a massive trap on behalf of Amaris for a bonus.

Even as a clan supporter I agree with this vote.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
1B - we didn't come here for honor, we came here to make bank.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It seems like the goons voting in favor of accepting a clan challenge are mostly assuming we'd win that challenge.

We've had two very good outcomes in a row but it's by no means guaranteed that we'd win a challenge, and we'd probably lose a pilot or two regardless, just by the law of averages. The more ridiculous your demands for the reward (like a starship, jesus christ) the more likely they'll bid a large enough force to make sure the Demon Hawks don't have a serious advantage on the field.

The Demon Hawks have cemented a reputation as extremely good, well-disciplined mercenaries. Now they need to not blow it. You take insane risks when you're desperate... when you have secured a rep, you can demand better terms in future contracts, earn more money, you've got a road to long-term sustainability and success right in front of you.

Amaris knows what he's got with the Demon Hawks, too. I doubt he's in a hurry to get them killed. Take his next assignment, it'll be a tough challenge with strategic value and a fat reward. We don't need to take a crazy gamble on whatever the gently caress the batshit insane and insanely furious clanners decide to bid against whatever crazy loot we demand of them. If we issue a challenge it should be a fake one with no intention of showing up or fighting fairly at all.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Vorenus posted:

Serious vote: No. Refuse the duel.

Backing this vote. Just give them a message of "eat it, nerds!"

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
My first instinct is, of course, to vote no...but there is one plausible thing the Demon Hawks could bid for: an enemy jumpship (or maybe dropship), along with the crew to run it. Ordinarily, this would be far too hard to bid for, but every ship in orbit just became a deathtrap: stuck between a superior enemy fleet and an unknown kill device that just wrecked their pride and joy. In other words, it should be obvious to everyone that the Clanners on surface have very little chance of getting off planet: they might still be able to kill Amaris, which is obviously what they'll aim for, but they aren't going home...which means at least one of those jumpships is guaranteed to be going home empty (if at all), which makes it a good possible target for bidding.

Even if we manage to get the combatants reduced to something equal in numbers to the Demon Hawks though, facing the best of the best Clan warriors in circumstances extremely familiar to them with a merc group that was almost literally just thrown together is still a borderline suicidal prospect.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 1, 2016

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Why would losing the challenge be such a bad thing? I mean, sure, for Jason and Duncan it would be pretty bad, but for the thread campaign it would make for an interesting story. Why wouldn't Jason and Duncan accept such an offer after having had great outcomes in the previous two battles? Are they not riding high on success? I say,

1. Yes

2. A whole Clan

3. We want a Cruiser

Because the Demon Hawks with their own cruiser would make for an interesting faction in the Inner Sphere, and the battle is going to be spectacular no matter who wins.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I want to see interesting without Jason and Duncan taking high risks of getting hosed.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I don't see how the Inner Sphere doesn't become a NRWR subsidiary, to be honest. Their gimmick is severe competence.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

vorebane posted:

I don't see how the Inner Sphere doesn't become a NRWR subsidiary, to be honest. Their gimmick is severe competence.

Idk, in the PTNverse a lot of people seem pretty competent.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

pun pundit posted:

Why would losing the challenge be such a bad thing? I mean, sure, for Jason and Duncan it would be pretty bad, but for the thread campaign it would make for an interesting story. Why wouldn't Jason and Duncan accept such an offer after having had great outcomes in the previous two battles? Are they not riding high on success?

Duncan and Jason aren't leading the Death Commandos: their band of mercs would cheerfully tell them both "have fun" and leave the Demon Hawks. Even if they didn't, the clanners would take the request as both an insult and an obvious Amaris Ambush.

vorebane posted:

No one rules the Inner Sphere for more than a few centuries: everyone else would eventually adapt, and practically everyone outside of the NRWR would be just waiting for the chance to shoot all the competent people and revolt...and in Battletech, they *always* get their chance.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 1, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's also the little matter of several thousand carrier-based ships being poured into the system. There's a good possibility that within the next 24 hours, Clan Snow Raven will lose every starship in the system regardless. That might make it difficult for the Demon Hawks to negotiate for a trial for one.

Nor would they particularly want a ship crewed entirely by clanners super-angry at having been lost via some Trueborn Bullshit and now under the command of a Spheroid merc company. If we somehow wind up fighting for a ship, the Demon Hawks should crew it themselves, via hiring, or perhaps loaned crew from Amaris.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Remember that one MW4: Mercs mission where you can duel two clan stars

Hawks should do the alternate path on that mission where they say yes and then blow up the clanners in their barracks

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

thetruegentleman posted:

My first instinct is, of course, to vote no...but there is one plausible thing the Demon Hawks could bid for: an enemy jumpship (or maybe dropship), along with the crew to run it. Ordinarily, this would be far too hard to bid for, but every ship in orbit just became a deathtrap: stuck between a superior enemy fleet and an unknown kill device that just wrecked their pride and joy. In other words, it should be obvious to everyone that the Clanners on surface have very little chance of getting off planet: they might still be able to kill Amaris, which is obviously what they'll aim for, but they aren't going home...which means at least one of those jumpships is guaranteed to be going home empty (if at all), which makes it a good possible target for bidding.

Even if we manage to get the combatants reduced to something equal in numbers to the Demon Hawks though, facing the best of the best Clan warriors in circumstances extremely familiar to them with a merc group that was almost literally just thrown together is still a borderline suicidal prospect.

There's no way in hell a clan vessel is getting close enough to Andurien to claim. And no way in hell that the Snow Ravens are going to risk losing another of their priceless relics that are the only things keeping the other clans from gutting them. At best you get a reasonable trial then endless refusals and grievances are fought before you have any hope of claiming the loving thing. At worst your "trial" involves a standup fight with multiple frontline clusters and air support. You may have noticed that a standup fight is exactly what clanners are best at.

And what the hell do you do once you take delivery of a 300+ year old, million-ton war machine rebuilt from the ground up by crazy assholes no one understands? Your only reasonable source of parts and labor is the NRWR and they'll have every incentive to company store the poo poo out of you. You don't even have anyone with the first idea how to fly the thing, much less command it. The Rim Worlders already consider their navy a pointless waste of money, so pawning it once the logistics eat you alive doesn't seem too likely.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For reference this is somewhat comparable to showing up at a shady poker game where local military people play for stacks of hundred dollar bills, taking a look at your big stack of bills you've just won, eyeballing the other players who are pissed at your success, and suggesting that one of them bet his nation's only aircraft carrier on the next hand.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I think I am more excited about the NRWR navy having an actual carrier doctrine than the telefrag. At least someone learned something from WWII.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Plek posted:

I think I am more excited about the NRWR navy having an actual carrier doctrine than the telefrag. At least someone learned something from WWII.

And yet the battleships are clearing the way for the carriers. What a country!

I agree with you overall though. Here come the killer bees, motherfuckers. GOONSWARM, COMIN' FOR YOU.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

dis astranagant posted:

There's no way in hell a clan vessel is getting close enough to Andurien to claim. And no way in hell that the Snow Ravens are going to risk losing another of their priceless relics that are the only things keeping the other clans from gutting them. At best you get a reasonable trial then endless refusals and grievances are fought before you have any hope of claiming the loving thing. At worst your "trial" involves a standup fight with multiple frontline clusters and air support. You may have noticed that a standup fight is exactly what clanners are best at.

And what the hell do you do once you take delivery of a 300+ year old, million-ton war machine rebuilt from the ground up by crazy assholes no one understands? Your only reasonable source of parts and labor is the NRWR and they'll have every incentive to company store the poo poo out of you. You don't even have anyone with the first idea how to fly the thing, much less command it. The Rim Worlders already consider their navy a pointless waste of money, so pawning it once the logistics eat you alive doesn't seem too likely.

If the Snow Ravens weren't willing to risk them, they would never have committed them in the first place; that's how the clans work. Their ships might be able to survive if they immediately book it, in which case the terms would indeed be null, but otherwise those ships are, for all practical purposes, trapped. They have no real value without the ability to actually leave the system.

And yes, it's true that even with the crew, the ship would be hard pressed for parts eventually, but I seem to recall that ships in the Battletech universe can last a pretty drat long time without needing extensive maintenance: after all, if that weren't the case, the clans would never have managed to keep the ships around up until the present time, despite needing to literally build the infrastructure to maintain the ships from scratch after fleeing the Inner Sphere. But if that's really a major concern, any of the great houses would gladly trade a regular jumpship for the chance at picking an intact clan ship apart.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

TheParadigm posted:

This could go so many ways though. It is a hilariously underutilized plot device.
All the goons who are voting hell no aren't thinking like an amaris.

I agree with the theme of your ideas, but while I am undecided, I'll point out that it can go steps further. Like getting clans to adopt a customized visual variant of the Atlas-3, dub it the Demon Hawk, and adopt mech as part of their touman to forever remind them of their shame. Or gaining a cadre of their techs to take the already murderous Atlas-3, make it BETTER, call it the Demon Hawk and provide the merc company with the first models. I don't claim to know how to improve the Atlas-3 aside from quirks, mind.

Or, as part of Operation Airmoble option, see if any of the dropships happen to have onboard orbital manufacturing facilities for mech production.

I'm still thinking on my vote.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

thetruegentleman posted:

If the Snow Ravens weren't willing to risk them, they would never have committed them in the first place; that's how the clans work. Their ships might be able to survive if they immediately book it, in which case the terms would indeed be null, but otherwise those ships are, for all practical purposes, trapped. They have no real value without the ability to actually leave the system.

And yes, it's true that even with the crew, the ship would be hard pressed for parts eventually, but I seem to recall that ships in the Battletech universe can last a pretty drat long time without needing extensive maintenance: after all, if that weren't the case, the clans would never have managed to keep the ships around up until the present time, despite needing to literally build the infrastructure to maintain the ships from scratch after fleeing the Inner Sphere. But if that's really a major concern, any of the great houses would gladly trade a regular jumpship for the chance at picking an intact clan ship apart.

When they decided to risk their fleet, they weren't aware of what they were actually up against. If law enforcement came up to you and said hey, there's a dangerous dog pack on the loose, we know you're an experienced hunter, would you mind helping us track these dogs down? You'd probably say sure. They're just dogs. Some risk you might get harmed, but nothing you can't deal with it.

Then when you get there, a giant demon literally jumps out of the shadows on a wall and tears one of the cops who is with you in half. Suddenly that risk has changed, and you don't say "Well I wouldn't be here if I weren't willing to take risks.". You say gently caress THAT, and you run your rear end off.

Unless you're the Doomslayer, I guess.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mech factories are sprawling complexes that you can't fit on a warship, much less a dropship. Think Ford plant vs Ford Focus, scaled up to make hundred ton war machines with the density of styrofoam.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 1, 2016

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Interesting to note the NRWR admiral commanding the Third is from the family that are the canon rulers of the Magistracy of Canopus (who are also the faction with the most canon hints of harboring the Wolverines in that timeline. Possible explanation for that connection?)

Did all the canon periphery rulers in this area end up with the NRWR in this timeline? It's gonna be sad if we meet an O'Reilly and he isn't called Caesar.

It's also no longer an official Demon Hawks update unless someone hooks Jason Youngblood up with a space Gatorade.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Most of them are the size of cities. Defiance Industries of Hesperus II is inside a hollowed-out mountain range.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Snow Ravens mostly risked their fleet because they didn't think there was any actual risk to their fleet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Night10194 posted:

The Snow Ravens mostly risked their fleet because they didn't think there was any actual risk to their fleet.

The [CLAN NAME] mostly risked their [ANYTHING WHATSOEVER] because they didn't think there was any actual risk to [THAT THING]

The Clans are not a risk-adverse culture. They are a risk-blind one.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Picard Day posted:

It's also no longer an official Demon Hawks update unless someone hooks Jason Youngblood up with a space Gatorade.

I think after this one someone's drenching Duncan with a cooler full of it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yes, Trinary, 15 Pristine Clan Mechs of equal tonnage that we are risking and parts and techs to maintain such

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

No. The entire point of this war is to break the clanners of their will to follow their insane dogma.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Picard Day posted:

"I want that purple stuff..."

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Pattonesque posted:

Remember that one MW4: Mercs mission where you can duel two clan stars

Hawks should do the alternate path on that mission where they say yes and then blow up the clanners in their barracks

Seriously, this is what we should do. Accept the challenge, then ambush the Clans the night before the duel when they're still getting ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
While the Clans are pretty obsessed with their nutty honour code, the Snow Ravens have always been one of the more cunning Clans. I wouldn't bet against them preparing themselves for the inevitable betrayal of a bunch of honourless mercs.

• Locked thread