Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Ryoshi posted:

Thank you for contributing to this thread with your brutal own about my post re: a level designer with his head up his rear end, a chip on his shoulder, and a faulty decimal button on his calculator, you have truly opened my eyes and enriched the world today.

Wow dude don't be such a turdringer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Did I make a wrong turn and end up in Bulletstorm?

edit: Dicktits

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ryoshi posted:

Thank you for contributing to this thread with your brutal own about my post re: a level designer with his head up his rear end, a chip on his shoulder, and a faulty decimal button on his calculator, you have truly opened my eyes and enriched the world today.

hahaa

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I used to own a cockparrot, clean up was always awful.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Wow, I didn't realise I had started a *~thing~*. Oh well.

Back on topic, generally I like characters who are having as much fun as the player is, there are so many brooding, serious characters it's a nice change of pace. Not just Lo Wang enjoying his adventures with demons, but I also recently played Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase. It's a somewhat charming but not very good Crash Bandicoot clone on the PS1, and there is a cute moment at the end of the game, as the entire excuse-plot is "The gang are in a video game randomly and OH NO a computer virus comes and gives them something to fight. Shaggy and Scooby are the playable characters but there's a cute moment at the end of the game when the villain is defeated, where Fred rhetorically asks Shaggy "So, you still wanna be in a video game?" and they're response, is pretty much, "Yeah, why not?". After all, They won and they enjoyed themselves on some level while the other 3 were doing PLOT STUFF! offscreen. (Fred and Daphne go off to look for a trap and completely fail, and Velma opens each level as you beat the earlier ones.)

Duke Nukem is an unpleasant example of the character who is enjoying themselves as much as the player, as he enjoys it for weird, creepy reasons, at least in Forever.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Jun 30, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, Duke is weird and sexist but the game fawns over him at all times.

Lo Wang is weird and sexist but he's presented as a dork that undergoes character development.

I'm a teeny bit worried about Shadow Warrior 2 though, as it seems to be going too far in the other direction where nearly everything (that I've seen in preview footage) said by the support character is a variation of UGH WANG IS SO IMMATURE AND STUPID. Show don't tell dammit.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ryoshi posted:

Please stop being a cockweasel.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

In FFXIV, one of the main NPCs you deal with is a girl named Minfilia or something. Normally, she walks around with her midriff showing because, ya know, it's a Japanese MMO. A good portion of the story of the game involves you doing things in a snowy part of the world. In a lot of games, the character models are persistent no matter where the person is because (I assume) the devs are like "gently caress it." Well, when Minfilia is in the snowy part of the world, they put her in a thick-rear end coat with no skin showing. It makes sense that she wouldn't be half-naked in the snowy mountains, even if the player character can run around the mountaintops shirtless without a moment's hesitation.

What makes that scene funnier is that other NPCs are wearing their normal outfits and are complaining about the cold, and she just struts up in her coat and comments about dressing appropriately for the weather.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Ryoshi posted:

dude you got owned just accept it you turtyburtler

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SinineSiil posted:

I actually have a video about this bs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbhgupYq_TA

Dashing was really great way of getting around quickly so I did it all the time which resulted at least 5 deaths of this kind.

That's what he gets for jumping down a flight of stairs. Full realism, GOTY. :colbert:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
This thread has convinced me to pick up Overwatch this afternoon. I've specifically avoided looking into any "how to be good at Overwatch" guides and all I know is it's full of neat little things and there's a fat pig dude who I will probably main.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Drunken Baker posted:

This thread has convinced me to pick up Overwatch this afternoon. I've specifically avoided looking into any "how to be good at Overwatch" guides and all I know is it's full of neat little things and there's a fat pig dude who I will probably main.

As far as I can tell it's just like TF2 and if you say that overwatch fans get really mad so that means it probably is just like TF2. That's also not a bad thing because TF2 was actually legit fun before the additional weapons and hats got way out of hand and it's still fun.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
As an overwatch fan, it is absolutely Team Fortress 3

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Evilreaver posted:

As an overwatch fan, it is absolutely Team Fortress 2: episode 1.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Into the last two chapters of Shadow Warrior, I was really surprised at some of the jokes. I did not expect a reference to Eddie Izzard's "Cake or Death" bit. I think one of my favourite bits of writing outside of Hoji are the Fortune Cookie collectible. They're just pure, ancient Dad Jokes. " I loved the first one - "You are not illiterate". There is also the classic "Help, I'm trapped in a video game factory" :3:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zero Escape has the first ending literally after the first choice of the game, 3 minutes in. Absolutely amazing, why did I ever worry about purchasing this game. :allears:

'What was all that about? Who knows, lets go home"

MiddleOne has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Jul 1, 2016

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

MiddleOne posted:

Zero Escape has the first ending literally after the first choice of the game, 3 minutes in. Absolutely amazing, why did I ever worry about purchasing this game. :allears:

'What was all that about? Who knows, lets go home"

Can somebody find the video of the joke ending in Headhunter where Jake nopes out of the whole evil lab thing, leaving Angela behind? I know it exists, but I can't seem to find the magic combination of keywords.

E: also, I remember there being a tank-based RPG where the first choice in the game is basically 'do you want to go on an adventure? Y/N', and if you choose 'no', you stay home and do the family business, game over. I don't recall what it was called, though.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

FredMSloniker posted:

Can somebody find the video of the joke ending in Headhunter where Jake nopes out of the whole evil lab thing, leaving Angela behind? I know it exists, but I can't seem to find the magic combination of keywords.

E: also, I remember there being a tank-based RPG where the first choice in the game is basically 'do you want to go on an adventure? Y/N', and if you choose 'no', you stay home and do the family business, game over. I don't recall what it was called, though.

Shadow Complex lets you say gently caress it and abandon your girlfriend to the Confederate Nazis. You even get an achievement "Plenty More Fish in the Sea".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FredMSloniker posted:

Metal Saga is what you're thinking of, and the narration dialogue gets very snippy about the adventure you chose to miss out on :allears:.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Far Cry 4 has a moment at the start where the (future) bad guy takes a phone call and wanders away from you for several minutes. If you get bored and start poking around his house, you trigger the normal game progression and become his enemy. If you wait politely for him to return, you stay on good terms and the game immediately ends.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

Far Cry 4 has a moment at the start where the (future) bad guy takes a phone call and wanders away from you for several minutes. If you get bored and start poking around his house, you trigger the normal game progression and become his enemy. If you wait politely for him to return, you stay on good terms and the game immediately ends.

He also spoils the plot for you immediately and explains everything that would normally only make itself apparent way late in the game. It's pretty awesome.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

was that patched in later, or has it been there since the start?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Metal Saga is what you're thinking of, and the narration dialogue gets very snippy about the adventure you chose to miss out on :allears:.

I do like how if you beat Lavos super early in Chrono Trigger (usually in NG+) before the plot actually starts, you get a room with the devs and some of them complain about all the hard work they put in that you skipped.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

was that patched in later, or has it been there since the start?

It was there from the start.

Kruller posted:

Shadow Complex lets you say gently caress it and abandon your girlfriend to the Confederate Nazis. You even get an achievement "Plenty More Fish in the Sea".

Well, she wasn't really his girlfriend, the game was like their second date. Also you find out later in the game that her whole thing was a set up and she only asked you out to try and get your help with the secret base.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
This also reminds me of literally the only choice in all of Golden Sun you can choose that makes a difference. After the intro sequence, when everyone's all "you are our only hope, will you go out into the world to save us?" You can simply say no, and the screen fades to sepia and is all "well poo poo's hosed".

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Mass Effect 2 had my favorite goofy "I can't believe they actually let you do that" ending: one side quest is about tracking down a character's daughter who is essentially a Sex Vampire who kills anyone they have sex with. At the climax of the mission the game actually let's you betray your party member and kill her and her daughter joins your party in her stead.

Being a Bioware game you can chat her up and even flirt, and if you tell her that you're DTF even knowing that it will kill you she says that maybe when the fate of the galaxy is no long resting on you being alive she'll take you up on it.

After you beat the game you can keep playing, and only then true tp her word you can finally get hosed to death. Game Over.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kruller posted:

Aren't they liberal Nazis?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Aren't they liberal Nazis?

it was written by orson scott card, yes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

LibrarianCroaker posted:

it was written by orson scott card, yes.

It was really weird when you find out that the reason the bad aliens in Advent Rising are bad is because their gay pedophile dad molested them and turned them into gay pedophiles in the process.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think he was hired to punch up the script for Advent Rising but all the promo stuff made it sound like he wrote the entire thing.

Of course those promos also talked about meaningful choices (do you save your girlfriend or your brother?) when that was the only choice there was.

And then there was that million dollar contest that used Xbox Live, which had be halted because of "technical difficulties" (because technically the game wasn't selling that much).

It's a fun game, but ooh boy was it a train-wreck from a publisher's side of things. I'd direct you to the site but it seems somebody else took over the domain adventtrilogy.com

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I remember liking Advent Rising for the pretty simple action game that it was. Shame about never getting the sequels, but I'm not crying over it

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Kruller posted:

Shadow Complex! Thank you! No wonder I couldn't find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fojskO4jpDg

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

I think he was hired to punch up the script for Advent Rising but all the promo stuff made it sound like he wrote the entire thing.

Of course those promos also talked about meaningful choices (do you save your girlfriend or your brother?) when that was the only choice there was.

And then there was that million dollar contest that used Xbox Live, which had be halted because of "technical difficulties" (because technically the game wasn't selling that much).

It's a fun game, but ooh boy was it a train-wreck from a publisher's side of things. I'd direct you to the site but it seems somebody else took over the domain adventtrilogy.com

For Shadow Complex he also apparently had barely anything to do with the game as the developer was the one who came up with the general idea of the setting and hired OSC to just write some tie in novels. Considering how some of the weirder stuff from the books doesn't actually show up in the game I have to imagine he took quite a few liberties with the premise.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mierenneuker posted:

On the subject of failed trilogies, how about Too Human? That sure was a game some people played.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

For Shadow Complex he also apparently had barely anything to do with the game as the developer was the one who came up with the general idea of the setting and hired OSC to just write some tie in novels. Considering how some of the weirder stuff from the books doesn't actually show up in the game I have to imagine he took quite a few liberties with the premise.

The books existed before Shadow Complex. I would really like to know what train of thought led to the idea that it as worth the trouble and expense of having their game be set in the universe of a relatively obscure piece of masturbarory military sci-fi about liberals rising up to destroy America when it doesn't actually contribute anything to the game or story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

The books existed before Shadow Complex. I would really like to know what train of thought led to the idea that it as worth the trouble and expense of having their game be set in the universe of a relatively obscure piece of masturbarory military sci-fi about liberals rising up to destroy America when it doesn't actually contribute anything to the game or story.

The reason the book came out first was because they scrapped their original plan for a game. The dev, Chair, has a history of getting writers to do books for them considering they also got Brandon Sanderson (another Mormon) to do a tie in to their Infinity Blade series. From what's been reported it seems like Infinity Blade is actually the reason they never did anything else with the setting as that was extremely profitable for them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

On the subject of failed trilogies, how about Too Human? That sure was a game some people played.

It's even funnier now that new copies aren't allowed to be sold due to Silicon Knights using the Unreal Engine without a license.

It'll never be digitally released. SK sunk their entire legacy by being crooks.

That and the antics of their horrible human being CEO have pretty much sunk the company

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They had a license. It got revoked after they failed to sue Epic over something they were absolutely right about but such assholes they managed to lose anyway.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

IIRC, they got the license to use Unreal but deemed it unfit for their masterpiece, so they demanded a refund for the license while secretly reverse engineering their own version of Unreal for their own use. Epic sued them over it and judges ruled that there was too much Unreal in the Silicon Knights code so any unsold products that used that code were to be recalled and destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They sued because Epic failed to deliver the full Unreal engine on time. They also alleged Epic gave other devs a stripped down version compared to what they themselves used.

Both were totally true.

But they also did what you said.