Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

That was a good fight

Best one so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nine of that was what I'd call good driving, he just had the more powerful wheels.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Like Lockjaw was pretty much the rock to Yeti's scissors, and Yeti kept doing the worst thing imaginable by spinning into the empty space inside Lockjaw's jaws.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
THE FIX IS IN
he has the wildcard tho

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I hope Jockjaw gets that wildcard spot and actually gets to use the flipper thing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
overhaul 2.0, now fully anime

Subyng
May 4, 2013
LOL Wrecks. Did they not test the thing?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That walker bot just shooting itself across the ring :laffo:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I don't get why we got full versions of the first 2 fights that were over and out but missed a couple of the maybe fun fights they just skimmed through :(

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I don't get why we got full versions of the first 2 fights that were over and out but missed a couple of the maybe fun fights they just skimmed through :(

Brutus/Mobius, at least, was a nice visual spectacle. Son of Whyachi/Ghost Raptor, on the other hand, wasn't that great and basically only got shown in full because of name recognition.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ladybug fight looked really really boring, though the full wrecks fight looked like it was fun.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

None of those had guns.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
oh cool the orthopaedic surgery robot

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i hope gun bot wins the whole tournament by shooting its gun and the other bot immediately committing suicide

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
"Nothin' gets me fired up like a palindrome!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Goddamn, Witchdoctor wasn't messing around

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lets point our unarmored tire at the vertical spinner of the other bot. What could go wrong?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Witch Doctor woah

That was fast

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like that everyone forgot about the tombstone (i think it was tombstone ???) vs witch doctor match where it almost won and own it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Good wildcard picks

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

loving Blacksmith?

Disk O'Inferno robbed again.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Disco Inferno got robbed.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Disco Inferno got hosed

:(

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am fine with most of those wildcard picks but blacksmith? seriously? argh

I hope ghost raptor gets it poo poo together.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Ghost Raptor didn't deserve a wildcard at all, but I'm guessing it was in working condition which is probably the major deciding factor in wildcard picks.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I looked over at the reddit and everyone is extremely pissed off about Ghost Raptor getting a wild card lol.

Gandalf21 posted:

Ghost Raptor didn't deserve a wildcard at all, but I'm guessing it was in working condition which is probably the major deciding factor in wildcard picks.

Also it has name recognition and its performance last year. Even then thought I would rather have disco inferno, but I would take ghost raptor over lovely blacksmith.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I feel like with so many quick KOs in the first round, any bot that goes to time and loses should get a wild card spot. I feel like the new series, the judges or producers are way more into flashy stuff than they are into things like good driving. Blacksmith is flashy, but ineffective and got destroyed. Disc O'Inferno is driven by a two time champion and the all time greatest driver in the sport, it had a competitive match that went to time, lost a split decision, but eh, it doesn't shoot flames.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the answer to spinners is a wedge with heavily armored wheels. Just let it tear itself apart on you.

Also haha, they talked that kid into bringing back her stupid ladybug robot.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

She's not a kid anymore my friend. Shes a nice looking lady. Which is a big factor for ABC picking wildcard bots.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Pakled posted:

Brutus/Mobius, at least, was a nice visual spectacle. Son of Whyachi/Ghost Raptor, on the other hand, wasn't that great and basically only got shown in full because of name recognition.

I don't know about you, but I thought the SoW / Ghost Raptor fight owned fuckin' bones. Then again, i'm a giant SoW fanboy and seeing it gently caress up Ghost Raptor made me laugh my rear end off :v:

Megatento getting a wildcard is pretty great, if only because I genuinely want to see how badly the ladybug gets wrecked by some of the drums and spinners. But yeah, I'm with you guys, Disco Inferno really should have gotten a wildcard over Blacksmith.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They have the bracket up at http://www.battlebots.com/bracket-s2/

They also have the days the fights are happening. 4 fights on the 7th, 4 fights on the 14th, and 8 fights on the 21st.

Also for those upset about Blacksmith getting in, they put it up against Minotaur next week, I can make a good guess which bot will win that one.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 1, 2016

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They have the bracket up at http://www.battlebots.com/bracket-s2/

They also have the days the fights are happening. 4 fights on the 7th, 4 fights on the 14th, and 8 fights on the 21st.

Also for those upset about Blacksmith getting in, they put it up against Minotaur next week, I can make a good guess which bot will win that one.

Icewave versus Nightmare :lol:

I love Nightmare, I truly do, but that bot is doomed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mobius? More like NOBIUS or sumpthin'....tssss...tssss....

Hooooooo boy, did that bot ever stink. I loved the smoke just billowing out of it after the death blow.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Subyng posted:

LOL Wrecks. Did they not test the thing?

Wrecks can't move without its weapon spun up and spinning that weapon up outside of an arena is absurdly dangerous. So probably very little testing happened.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

T1g4h posted:

Icewave versus Nightmare :lol:

I love Nightmare, I truly do, but that bot is doomed.

Probably. Nightmare was always my favorite back in the day, too bad it hasn't evolved enough for these new bots. Hopefully they get a good first spinner on spinner impact though and see which bot survives all the energy.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So maybe this is a silly question, but when I was watching the Beta fight and the Chomp fight I kept wondering:

Why don't the hammer bots have some mandible like mechanism to keep their opponents in place for the hammer blow?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I'm assuming because of weight issues you'd have with a giant hammer and armor and a mandible.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

So maybe this is a silly question, but when I was watching the Beta fight and the Chomp fight I kept wondering:

Why don't the hammer bots have some mandible like mechanism to keep their opponents in place for the hammer blow?

A lower jaw to keep the hammer from popping the robot into the air seems like a good idea at the very least. Use the opponents weight to counterbalance the hammer and make the most of that energy.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Mega vs Stinger. They just couldn't resist making a bug fight could they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ah haaaa, poor fuckin' Rotator. "This Battlebots tournament is the only thing giving my dying father hope!! I've been looking forwards to this since I was a kid!!" /loses in 15 seconds /does not get wildcard draw

• Locked thread