Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

HEY GAL posted:

i want to live here one day (if anyone sees any european history-related jobs hit me up), i'm not going to do things that are against the law here, like customs fraud

This place seems to have funded history research projects, my friend is there now and doing a PhD(medieval history), he gets paid about 3000€/month for three years or so.
http://www.uni-greifswald.de/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Kemper Boyd posted:

Guy I worked with talked about some idiot co-workers of his who got cut-resistant gloves from their employer and decided to test them by having one guy holding on tight to a knife and one guy yanking it out.

Turns out even cut-resistant gloves aren't made for that.

When you handle sharp tools, you have to be aware of the edge and treat it with respect.

Normally, if you grab it by the side, no-one can take it from you. Just don't let it slip. Even if you press on the cutting edge, it won't cut you, but for the love of God, don't let it slip.

I once knew a fellow in college who picked up a very large horizontal mill tool. 15 lb or so helical cutter. You normally hold them with a shop rag but he chose not to. It slid right through his hands like a razor. Tendons survived, the skin did not. I would like to describe the sound as "shloup" followed by "bang" as the tool hit the floor, then obscenities. Not much pain, but a lot of blood.

It's all in the grip.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Yeah thanks for that Tarantino.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

mostlygray posted:

Normally, if you grab it by the side, no-one can take it from you. Just don't let it slip. Even if you press on the cutting edge, it won't cut you, but for the love of God, don't let it slip.
i'd think one difficulty with grabbing the other guy's sword is overcoming the psychological resistance. definitely your instincts aren't going to be down with this

edit: I dunno, this dagger's kind of growing on me. I'll take it to the next reenactment i go to and ask people what they think, and see how it handles if I get into a knife fight. the daggers in this painting (the pikeman, the child) are pretty big

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 26, 2016

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

HEY GAL posted:

i'd think one difficulty with grabbing the other guy's sword is overcoming the psychological resistance. definitely your instincts aren't going to be down with this

I've seen a lot of beginners in fencing reflexively try and protect themselves from stabs with their off hand. Probably not quite the same since there are no sharp edges involved, but I wouldn't be too sure about psychological resistances.

edit: Also post a pic of the drat dagger already so we can point and laugh at its length

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
so, as of the late 19th century at least one spaniard was not only still duelling with goddamn sail-hilted left-hand daggers, but he or she commissioned at least two of them with 21 inch long blades that might have been adapted from a model 1886 French Lebel bayonet.
http://www.cutandparry.com/Daggers.html
first entry on this page

whenever i see some weapons related thing that's really well made but also 100% mentally insane, it is usually spanish

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 26, 2016

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

HEY GAL posted:

so, as of the late 19th century at least one spaniard was not only still duelling with goddamn sail-hilted left-hand daggers, but he or she commissioned at least two of them with 21 inch long blades that might have been adapted from a model 1886 French Lebel bayonet.
http://www.cutandparry.com/Daggers.html
first entry on this page

whenever i see some weapons related thing that's really well made but also 100% mentally insane, it is usually spanish

IIRC, Spain's fencing enthusiasts were always fairly conservative, weren't they? I remember reading somewhere that Spanish fencers tended to be more "traditional" and preferred to keep the old style of rapier fighting for quite a long time after it had fallen out of fashion throughout the rest of Europe.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grenrow posted:

IIRC, Spain's fencing enthusiasts were always fairly conservative, weren't they? I remember reading somewhere that Spanish fencers tended to be more "traditional" and preferred to keep the old style of rapier fighting for quite a long time after it had fallen out of fashion throughout the rest of Europe.
spain and southern italy, iirc, but that's not the part about this that's nuts

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 26, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Frosted Flake posted:

I also know that people were much smaller back then.
Posting from the past--they weren't much smaller "before the gunpowder age," the Seventeenth Century Crisis is when they got smaller. At 5'7", I would be smack in the average of people from the Battle of Wittstock mass grave, and they're dudes.

The Landesmuseum in Emden, where the Wittstock dudes ended up, has a whole shitton of sets of armor, many of which are perfectly my size. (I know this because they have one you can try on, not a repro.) As the camera pans in the below link, look at the delicacy of the pikemen's sets of armor on the back wall.
http://www.landesmuseum-emden.de/31-0-33

edit: their wine glasses were bigger than ours tho
https://www.wulflund.com/ceramics-and-glass/historical-glass/roemer-renaissance-large-glass-goblet-exact-replica.html/
green glass with little blobs on it is ubiquitous in this period, you can see a tumbler with that technique in the Frank Soldatentanz

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 27, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

edit: Also post a pic of the drat dagger already so we can point and laugh at its length
too late, i dremelled it down:

current length of blade: 11.6"
current length of entire thing: 16.7"

detail of point. I can also fit one of the blunts I have on there like halfway.

So the dagger I have now has a recut, repurposed blade, which is 30yw as hell.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GAL posted:

too late, i dremelled it down:

current length of blade: 11.6"
current length of entire thing: 16.7"

detail of point. I can also fit one of the blunts I have on there like halfway.

So the dagger I have now has a recut, repurposed blade, which is 30yw as hell.

Looks cool as hell, and i'm pretty sure cut down and re-purposed swords, daggers, and axes have been a thing since they existed.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
and it'll now fit along the small of my back or on my hip, ready to get drawn during a fight about all of the dumb bullshit these people get into fights about

edit: this thing is stout enough that if that were a real point, it'd have a nice taper on it and be a pretty hardcore little thrusting blade. :getin:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 27, 2016

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAL posted:

and it'll now fit along the small of my back or on my hip, ready to get drawn during a fight about all of the dumb bullshit these people get into fights about

Don't carry anything along the small of the back, unless you're really into getting your kidneys bruised or a spinal injury.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
where should i put it, do you think? my sword will be hanging low on my left hip on a baldric

edit: one of these baldrics, in fact. "Tan Buckled Infantry baldric," second in the list.
http://www.karlrobinson.co.uk/other_stuff_baldrics.php
The one without the buckle was cheaper but I didn't trust it not to be too big for me because English 17th c reenactors are all fatties who can't fight

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 27, 2016

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

HEY GAL posted:

Jimmy Page and Yolandi Visser in that pic. Strange stuff.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

JaucheCharly posted:

Jimmy Page and Yolandi Visser in that pic. Strange stuff.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'd try hanging it diagonally in front of my right hip. (Gotta get that phallic imagery going.) Anywhere on the left is probably going to get tangled in the baldric, and wearing it on the back is, like Kemper said, a Poor Idea because it only takes some horse dung and you're lying on it.

Anyway, why is there a zombie playing cards? Spooky.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Speaking of zombies, why are there still characters in movies and games swinging samurai swords like it's the 90s?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAL posted:

where should i put it, do you think? my sword will be hanging low on my left hip on a baldric

Right side, vertically, since then you can pull the dagger with one neat movement and then plant it in someone's forehead or eye.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

...and then plant it in someone's forehead or eye.
it's like you know me personally

also, then i could shift the butt forward to draw with my left hand for swordfighting

edit: here's a dude with the dagger worn at the small of the back tho. not saying it was correct, just that it was period correct

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 28, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
So, Rodrigo Diaz just told me about a fencing manual, Compendio y Philosophia y destreza de las Armas (1625). The illustrations that survive are 20th century tracings of the lost 17th century original. They're pretty sassy.

"This kills the Spaniard."

http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Octavio_Ferrara

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
We're Spanish especially noted for using rapiers? That looks like an anti rapier counter measure, whereas a cutting sword just whips round and gets you in the back.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
"this kills the [x]" is a meme, but the spanish love rapiers and kept using them after everyone else had switched to smallswords or the ancestors of modern fencing swords

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/1que42/whats_the_original_story_behind_this_kills_the/

edit: pictured, this thread

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 1, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'm the guy idly stabbing the wall

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is there a term for the swordplay version of "negligent discharge"?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Is there a term for the swordplay version of "negligent discharge"?

ow, my spleen

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

HEY GAL posted:

edit: pictured, this thread

This is an outrage. Thats 18th century you crumbum.

Hazzard posted:

That looks like an anti rapier counter measure, whereas a cutting sword just whips round and gets you in the back.

What the gently caress are you talking about.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Hazzard posted:

We're Spanish especially noted for using rapiers? That looks like an anti rapier counter measure,

Yes, it's from a fencing treatise about dueling with rapiers.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

EvanSchenck posted:

Yes, it's from a fencing treatise about dueling with rapiers.
written by, and for, spaniards

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about.
also note the attacker's left hand is grabbing the receiver's sword hand while the right hand is bisecting his face

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
trip report: most of you will probably not carry your swords outdoors, nor are you in the habit of assaulting small German towns by wading the moat, which is what I did this morning. But for those of you who are worried about weather and water, I don't think the rayskin Danelli uses for grips is colorfast; in areas it's faded from black to a sort of bluish grey after six months of use. I like this, but you guys might not.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
I was wrong about the pewter tips, it wasn't Danelli, it was an Italian whose name I have forgotten.

And on the other point, is a rapier actually any threat aside from the point? I assumed it wasn't, because a fencing master said to use your offhand to palm away thrusts to the chest. That's why I thought the afore mentioned image showed a move that wouldn't work against a cut and thrust sword.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The shape of the blade and the weight distribution make a stereotypical rapier bad at cutting off limbs, but It's still a sharp piece of metal (at least partway down the blade, anyway) that will leave a nasty gash on your face if you aren't careful. I mean, you can't really chop people up with a kitchen knife either, but... :ese:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HEY GAL posted:

I remember hearing that Callot actually was embedded with an army at some point though.
I doublechecked this, and he didn't. He did live in Lorraine though, which means he would have seen some of the worst the 30yw had to offer.

And although his war engravings aren't close-ups like Franck's are, he's not bad at facial expressions--look at the face of the musketeer who's coming up the slope on the left side of this picture, below the condemned man and the monk:

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Can you move in armor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-bnM5SuQkI

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Hazzard posted:

And on the other point, is a rapier actually any threat aside from the point? I assumed it wasn't, because a fencing master said to use your offhand to palm away thrusts to the chest. That's why I thought the afore mentioned image showed a move that wouldn't work against a cut and thrust sword.

http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Octavio_Ferrara

If I'm understanding the website correctly, 16r and 17r are a two-image sequence.

Goofus (right) has attacked by lunging, but Gallant (left) parried the thrust. There is no risk of Gallant being cut in this position, because his own blade and the hilt are closing that line.

In part two, Gallant has moved slightly closer to Goofus and is using his left hand to control Goofus's sword, again meaning there is no risk of his being cut. Now that he no longer needs his sword to protect him, he's free to thrust it through Goofus's face.

Throughout the sequence, Gallant is entirely safe from being cut, and it would work similarly against any variety of sword in that particular context.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
So if I've asked a Polish dude to make me a scabbard for my dagger in the style of the early 17th century Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and he says "I'll do the job and you rebuker photos," I know that's good, but what does he want from me?

My weapons will then be: Italian sword of good quality, scabbard that looks like it was made by a peasant, English baldric, Italian dagger that's plain and workmanlike and doesn't match the sword, P/L scabbard of high quality. These'll go along with my equally heterogeneous clothing.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How prevalent was slave ownership in the Kingdom of Jerusalem?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Someone sell me on the smallsword. I know it's fast, it just looks pathetic. Rapiers can kill people and also look like something that can kill people. Why walk around with a tiny little blade on your hip?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

Someone sell me on the smallsword. I know it's fast, it just looks pathetic. Rapiers can kill people and also look like something that can kill people. Why walk around with a tiny little blade on your hip?

So you're not accidentally poking people with your long noodly rapier whenever you turn around on a crowded street. Manners, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

So you're not accidentally poking people with your long noodly rapier whenever you turn around on a crowded street. Manners, please.
counterpoint: it's their responsibility to get out of my way.

• Locked thread