Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

So apparently the woodcutter talismans are acquired by purchasing "The Park" on Steam. Well, The Park is half off right now for the steam sale, at $6.49. Just in case anyone wanted to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ali Aces posted:

So apparently the woodcutter talismans are acquired by purchasing "The Park" on Steam. Well, The Park is half off right now for the steam sale, at $6.49. Just in case anyone wanted to know.

Sweet. I'm getting a bit burnt out on the game, but I may grab that. Seems Ultimate Edition is 28 bucks too currently.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Complete edition (with all DLC) is $24 from Funcom directly, or you can buy ultimate edition (with roughly 2/3 of all DLC) for $21 on steam.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Ossipago posted:

Complete edition (with all DLC) is $24 from Funcom directly, or you can buy ultimate edition (with roughly 2/3 of all DLC) for $21 on steam.

I had bought the game in the past and subbed for a while but that was back before Tokyo. Can you apply the complete edition to existing accounts?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Tortolia posted:

I had bought the game in the past and subbed for a while but that was back before Tokyo. Can you apply the complete edition to existing accounts?
Apparently, yes.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
The Park is 50% off during the Steam sale atm. Is it even worth $6.49 USD?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I made a character, Stoppeth, on Grim. It's pretty much my first time playing, presumably there's going to be group content later so if anyone can friend me I'd appreciate it.

The unique setting for the game (for most rpgs, let alone MMOs) has me hooked, at it's worst I feel like I'm in a buffy/angel episode but a lot of this writing is good and genuinely spooky.

It's weird, I played the game at launch and while I always thought it was good at being creepy, I didn't see the humor before. I think that's because at launch I tried Templar, and their self-serious introduction/mission debriefs don't cut it compared to the Illuminati, starting this new character, I got the immediate impression that the Illuminati was the "real" faction they wrote the game for, but that could entirely juts be because they "clicked" with me: their mix of mysterious, absurd, and spooky is a good fit for the game overall.

Anyway, I plan on playing today, so if you're on Grim send me an invite, a group chat channel or something would be nice.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Brave New World posted:

The Park is 50% off during the Steam sale atm. Is it even worth $6.49 USD?

How much do you like games that thrive primarily on atmosphere and have next to no gameplay? I love them, personally, and found The Park reasonably satisfying. The first half is more or less just a riff on themes you'll already have encountered in the titular amusement park in the MMO, the second half is cooler and creepier.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
what's the cheapest way to get all the DLC with the current sales, I quit right before Tokyo came out?

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

what is wrong with the patcher for this game

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If it isn't going to 14+/13.9 then you're still doing okay.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Toast posted:

what's the cheapest way to get all the DLC with the current sales, I quit right before Tokyo came out?

Get the Complete Edition here.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Len posted:

If it isn't going to 14+/13.9 then you're still doing okay.

And if it is, close and restart it and it'll come right.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

can you apply that to an existing account?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Toast posted:

can you apply that to an existing account?

I was able to when i purchased it a year ago.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

thanks

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Anniversary event is up. Join the #event channel to get them sweet world bosses.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is it still the same event it always is?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh boy golems!

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
What's the Tokyo boss like?

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
I bought this and it's cool so far, but been reading that other servers are more populated (I joined Daemon), is it worth it to re-roll on a more crowded server? Does the group finder/guilds work cross-server?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Dracneir posted:

Does the group finder/guilds work cross-server?

It does/they do.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I don't think server choice matters for anything anymore.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
I think it still matters for pvp, sort of. Last I heard the servers were split into two groups for it so which server you're on determines which group you're in. Unless they changed that while I wasn't looking, which they may have.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
The pvp battlegroups were only for Fusang, and there were talks a few months ago about reworking how Fusang works, including merging the final two into a single group.

The pve zones are supposedly intentionally empty for game play and atmosphere reasons, I don't have any proof of this, other than word of mouth. But you can group with anyone on any server.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
how much does it matter what faction i choose or is it just flavor

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

dangerdoom volvo posted:

how much does it matter what faction i choose or is it just flavor

It's just flavour. It adds some story content and different information when you complete a quest.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I guess dragon then bc I hate capitalism

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I guess dragon then bc I hate capitalism

Illuminati is the best, embrace capitalism,rock and roll and drugs!

Spoiler
Illuminati is considered the best if you like Kirsten Geary and their stich. Dragon have the best lore though, their end-mission explanations explain a lot more than the illuminati

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I picked this up in the Steam sale and now I'm blasting zombies with a shotgun and sweet chain lightning. As a longtime WoW veteran there's definitely some easy adjustments (the combat feels super-solid) and some that are a bit more difficult (mostly the tiny text in the interface). Is there an option to scale the UI that I'm not seeing?

Whitefire
Oct 9, 2007

DEE DEEEEE
The game mechanics themselves are surprisingly intuitive and unique. Learning how everything works is a lot of fun and even more later when you have access to most of the wheel. However you'll notice the UI had been left in a weird spot, it works but it's fairly complicated.

Since we got a few new folks coming in this week we should start a discord for goons in this game to cooperate and learn(and force each other to play The Cost of Magic). Ok I'll get on that.
Ok here's a discord link for goons playing this game. No idea how many of us play this game anymore but you can get game help here if you need it. https://discord.gg/nE5r2

Whitefire fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 1, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
is there anywhere with like guidelines on ways to build at the start? theres a lot of poo poo and it feels like whatever weapons you pick are totally arbitrary when you dont know whats gonna happen with abilites and stuff

Whitefire
Oct 9, 2007

DEE DEEEEE
You could follow a starter deck. One of the first things you'll be doing is maxing out 2 sections of the inner wheel, at that point you should have a good basic kit to work with. Don't worry about what weapon combo you want, there is no wrong option for all of the story content up to Tokyo. Each weapon is designed to be a good damage dealer, plus offer additional effects like tanking, healing, or movement once you get to the outer wheel. Even if you don't choose a weapon that has access to healing, you should be ok as long as you keep your gear updated. Which abilities you slot is more important. You should be using a builder that builds both resources, a consumer for each weapon, 2 cooldowns which can either be used for damage or utility like healing or movement effects, and an elite damage dealer ability. When slotting passives either slot ones that directly buff abilities you use, or try to match up keywords with your builder first and your consumers second. For example if I use a frenzy builder I would want a passive that gives me a leech heal effect every time I use a frenzy ability, assault rifle has one of those. Don't think too hard about it and just select some skills that do good damage. However if you want something that will give you a very easy early game, Fists are not a bad choice, fists are melee damage plus heal over time effects and you see a lot of fist users in endgame content.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

dangerdoom volvo posted:

is there anywhere with like guidelines on ways to build at the start? theres a lot of poo poo and it feels like whatever weapons you pick are totally arbitrary when you dont know whats gonna happen with abilites and stuff

Unless things have changed drastically, do this thing:

Toshimo posted:

Pick 2 weapons.

Pick 1 Builder (Builds 1 resource on each weapon).
If that builder wasn't an AoE, pick a second builder that is.
Pick 1 consumer for each weapon type (consumes all resources, or, if elemental consumes 2, 3, or 5 resources). Make sure they have no cooldown or cooldown <5 seconds.
Fill the other 3-4 spots with CC, movement, or offensive/defensive cooldowns.

Spend 1AP each on:
Brawler
Mind over Matter
Immortal Spirit
Lick your wounds

Spend 2 more AP in Elementalism for Elemental Force.

Grab the cheap inner wheel passives that give +10% to your 2 weapon types.

Bam. Cheap build that will do almost all the single-player stuff you need.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
One thing that took some doing was figuring out the chat- I'm used to "/[channelname or number] text" to talk in a different channel but it seems like here you have to click in the input field to change channels? I dunno, had to google around for that.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Pretty sure you can slash channel, it's just that the chat UI is a horrendous, buggy piece of poo poo

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Hmm, when I was trying "/sanctuary" it was just kicking back a syntax error, same with "/sanctuary [chat text]". I'll have to poke at it again tonight.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
I'll pop on the Discord channel tonight when I can play.

What's the best way to keep gear updated? I bought up to QL3 weapons and talismans pretty cheaply on the AH, now I am ready to upgrade to full QL5 and all the stuff on the AH is running close to 100k a piece (and I only have 200k). Crafting? Any areas to try to farm?

I did 2 runs of The Darkness War (normal queues take forever seems like, least as DPS) and the drops were OK, but seems like the wait time between runs is so long it is not a viable way to gear up.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
the game really shits points on you with this boost they have going. makes me feel less worried im painting myself in a corner with weapon choices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dracneir posted:

What's the best way to keep gear updated? I bought up to QL3 weapons and talismans pretty cheaply on the AH, now I am ready to upgrade to full QL5 and all the stuff on the AH is running close to 100k a piece (and I only have 200k). Crafting? Any areas to try to farm?

You shouldn't ever need to craft or buy gear pretty much ever. You can roll everything in greens which are super common drops. I know back in the day before everything got consolidated in bullion, we'd go straight from QL3 greens into QL5 blue weapons (weapons are about 10x as important as talismans) at a vendor in Blue Mountain. I think you can just sort of keep up with green drops and mission rewards, though.

For those just starting, here's the spots you want to hit early to keep your gear up from QL1-QL3:

Toshimo posted:

If you are new to the game, tooling around Kingsmouth and suddenly realizing that your gear is lagging behind, here's a list of all the missions in Kingsmouth that have gear rewards:

QL1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a Fistful of Zombies
------------------------
Mission Type: Main (Action)
Starting Coords:  62, 135 
Given by:  Jack Boone
Reward: QL1 Weapon

The Occultist's Cookbook
------------------------
Mission Type: Side
Starting Coords:  289,330 
Given by:  The Occultist's Cookbook
Reward: QL1 Chaos Focus

The Raven
---------
Starting Coords:  289,330 
Given by:  Madame Roget
Reward: QL1 Head Talisman

Supply Run
----------
Starting Coords:  188,319 
Given by:  Helen Bannerman
Reward: QL1 Wrist Talisman

The Tentacle Trail
------------------
Starting Coords:  461,481 
Given by:  Box of squid 
Reward: QL1 Finger Talisman

Elm Street Blues
----------------
Given by:  Deputy Andy
Reward: QL1 Neck Talisman

Horror Show
-----------
Mission Type: Main (Sabotage)
Given by:  Helen Bannerman
Reward: QL1 Luck Talisman

Dust to Dust
--------------
Given by:  Henry Hawthorne
Reward: QL1 Occult Talisman

Missing Persons
---------------
Given by:  Missing persons list
Reward: QL1 Waist Talisman

QL2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Veterans Day
------------
Starting Coords:  268,492 
Given by:  Kingsmouth war memorial 
Reward: QL2 Weapon

They Never Stop Coming
----------------------
Starting Coords:  357,109 
Given by:  Norma Creed
Reward: QL2 Head Talisman

Rolls Downhill
--------------
Starting Coords:  125,682
Given by:  Che Garcia Hansson
Reward: QL2 Wrist Talisman

Draugnet
--------
Given by:  Deputy Andy
Reward: QL2 Neck Talisman

Appetite for Destruction
------------------------
Given by:  Sandy "Moose" Jansen
Reward: QL2 Finger Talisman

A Sacred Place
--------------
Given by:  Henry Hawthorne
Reward: QL2 Waist Talisman

Death, and the Instruments Thereof
----------------------------------
Given by:  Sandy "Moose" Jansen
Reward: QL2 Occult Talisman

QL3

ATC
---
Mission Type: Main (Sabotage)
Starting Coords: 435, 670
Given by:  Danny Dufresne 
Reward: QL3 Weapon

Black Helicopters
----------
Starting Coords:  380,980 
Given by:  Ann Radcliffe 
Reward: QL3 Head Talisman