Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If anything, dark times are behind us. Justice League is going to be Marvel-style pap although I'm not sure if Zack Snyder will be able to restrain himself when it comes to the resurrection of Superman.

If there's one thing the BvS extended cut makes clear it's that Snyder knows what people want, he just doesn't give a poo poo when push comes to shove. Given that BvS is Snyder's one-for-him, I'm confident he'll be able to make Justice League more immediately popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I thought Chris Terrio said before the movie was even released that Justice League was going to be "lighter", so to speak.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

If anything, dark times are behind us. Justice League is going to be Marvel-style pap although I'm not sure if Zack Snyder will be able to restrain himself when it comes to the resurrection of Superman.

I'm just waiting for official confirmation of the Resurrection Mullet.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Beeez posted:

I thought Chris Terrio said before the movie was even released that Justice League was going to be "lighter", so to speak.

Yeah, he said something along lines of "the second act in a trilogy tends to be the darkest part when the heroes are at their lowest" and that he felt a need to write Justice League to redeem the characters in terms of where they are in BvS.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah gotta say, I'm digging some of the scenes but I prefer the more impressionistic style of the theatrical that just steams ahead with its logic. Probably good that there's a version for you if you demand answers, though.

I'd say the films were simply released in the wrong order.

BVSDOJUE should viewed first to get the official story, and then the theatrical cut is the scrappy addendum that shows 'What Really Happened.'

Pretty much the entire ending of the film, up to the funeral, is already extremely well-executed goofy garbage on par with the Adam West references in Dark Knight Rises. I'm all in favour of more of that.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

He will return, still all business up front, but now all party in the back.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah, he said something along lines of "the second act in a trilogy tends to be the darkest part when the heroes are at their lowest" and that he felt a need to write Justice League to redeem the characters in terms of where they are in BvS.

In a terrible movie?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wasn't there a confirmation? I remember it coming up a few pages back

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

In a terrible movie?

ok so your question before was rhetorical and you are just doing drive-by one-liner poo poo posts. Glad to know where things stand.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

If there's one thing the BvS extended cut makes clear it's that Snyder knows what people want, he just doesn't give a poo poo when push comes to shove. Given that BvS is Snyder's one-for-him, I'm confident he'll be able to make Justice League more immediately popular.

I'm pretty sure that the UE shows the exact opposite; that he acknowledges complaints, and is able to improve on those aspects without negatively affecting the stories he wants to tell.

I mean, unless you believe that he had total authority over the editing, and the producers just forced him to direct these additional scenes that he then edited out, and then they forced the editor to re-add these scenes for this edition.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Wasn't there a confirmation? I remember it coming up a few pages back

I need to see set photos.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Guy A. Person posted:

ok so your question before was rhetorical and you are just doing drive-by one-liner poo poo posts. Glad to know where things stand.

You're right and I'm sorry. For some reason I re-bookmarked this thread and my hatred of this film clouded my judgement and got me posting about it again.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

I'm pretty sure that the UE shows the exact opposite; that he acknowledges complaints, and is able to improve on those aspects without negatively affecting the stories he wants to tell.

I mean, unless you believe that he had total authority over the editing, and the producers just forced him to direct these additional scenes that he then edited out, and then they forced the editor to re-add these scenes for this edition.

The ultimate edition was Snyder's cut before he was forced to make the movie shorter. Judging by how detractors are responding to it, Snyder's original version would have been the more popular cut. Hence my statement that Snyder "knows what people want."

However, once he was forced to cut the movie down to make it shorter, his choice was to abandon the overt plot explanations that detractors ended up asking for, making the film weirder and more impressionistic. That is to say, "he just doesn't give a poo poo when push comes to shove," because if he couldn't have three hours for the theatrical version, he'd rather have a movie that fits his thematic vision rather than a movie with the sort of explicit storytelling that much of the audience would prefer.

You frame your comment as being in disagreement with me, but it's not clear what you're saying about the movie that contradicts what I'm saying. If you didn't say that "the UE shows the exact opposite," I'd think we were in agreement.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My issue is that you make it sound like he doesn't give a poo poo about criticisms, but we have proof now that he did give enough of a poo poo to create scenes clearly explaining motivations and humanizing Clark.

Of course when he needs to cut a movie down he's going to focus on extraneous scenes first; this is how every director operates. Clark interviewing a branded persons' wife isn't going to hold more editing clout than Superman stopping Batman's rampage.

Basically I'm just not a fan of the Michael Bay-esque impressions fans put on Snyder, where it's like a kneejerk reaction to hyperbolic critics' dudebro assumption, all the way into a cynical abrasive auteur assumption.

I don't think Snyder is a CineD poster is what I'm saying

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

My issue is that you make it sound like he doesn't give a poo poo about criticisms, but we have proof now that he did give enough of a poo poo to create scenes clearly explaining motivations and humanizing Clark.

Of course when he needs to cut a movie down he's going to focus on extraneous scenes first; this is how every director operates. Clark interviewing a branded persons' wife isn't going to hold more editing clout than Superman stopping Batman's rampage.

The term "extraneous scenes" is carrying all the weight here. According to what was cut, explicit explanation of how Lex Luthor shaped the Africa event, that Lex was covering up his crimes with the bombing, how Lex hid the bomb from Superman, all sorts of plot details, were extraneous. What was not, apparently, extraneous were the intense, visual scenes of Superman obscuring the sun, a mob of people with faces painted as skulls worshipping Superman, Batman having surreal nightmares, etc.

Note that I didn't say he "doesn't give a poo poo." I said "he just doesn't give a poo poo when push comes to shove." Which is to say, he's aware enough of what people want to have already shot scenes that addressed the eventual complaints, but he didn't care enough about that to keep them in at the expense of the more interesting material.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
That moment you realize young Bruce kept one of his mother's pearls, and was clutching it through the whole funeral.

This movie rules.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

K. Waste posted:

That moment you realize young Bruce kept one of his mother's pearls, and was clutching it through the whole funeral.

Nah, that's part of Bruce's dream mixing their murder with their funeral. The pearl falls down well after Bruce does.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nah, that's part of Bruce's dream mixing their murder with their funeral. The pearl falls down well after Bruce does.

drat, that's good filmmaking.

Also, the establishing of the genesis machine wreckage is super effective. It's just a tilt down from a kid's body against a blue sky ("de-saturated" lofl) to this background of their lives:

There's so much more care in this movie to frame the spectacle not exclusively in terms of the 'important people.' This is the superhero world, from the margins.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, the transition from the smoky greys of the assault on Metropolis, to the black screen, to this as the first frame of the next sequence:

is absolutely beautiful.

That the wreckage is being salvaged by kids with a rope, not some high-tech operation by men in suits, is a wonderful human touch.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
The very opening of the bit with the divers feels very Malick to me

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I'm gonna need to see the theatrical cut again to see if what SMG is saying holds water. I think he's right, though. This is definitely the 'Redux' version. In particular, I feel like the North Africa sequence is paced a lot slower, which creates kind of an all too comfortable unreality, whereas the beat-beat-beat pacing of the theatrical cut gave everything a much more driving assault.

edit:

Lol, snuck tricky dick in

edit: I love the double-implication that Gotham is a crazy football town where cops will ignore a loving distress to watch a game, but their team is also belligerent and just plain loving sucks.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 1, 2016

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Something stomach-turning about that blue tint.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Lex's theme is so perfect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD5wQROo_bs

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Ultimate Cut digital version comes with the theatrical cut; I will have to make some time to do a double viewing. Still leaning toward theatrical cut as preferred by thinking about all the new stuff has been fun

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Best part so far

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Best part so far

The visual gag is too clever and well composed to be a real American political cartoon.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Watched the extended cut, and I'm officially dead center in the crosshairs of this edition's target demographic. All of the plot holes that bothered me have been filled in and make sense. This should have been the theatrical cut-- *broken record keeps repeating*

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Who had the bright idea of have a three week delay between the digital and physical versions of the Ultimate Cut?

I want to have my copy already :(

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

The visual gag is too clever and well composed to be a real American political cartoon.

Not enough text

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

K. Waste posted:

Best part so far

The little arrow labelling the "Nice Purse." It's the little things.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'm curious if Snyder drew that himself.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Lois is Clark's monument.

In general, the use of color in this movie is loving brilliant. See, also: The use of red and blue in the post-Capitol attack scene.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

This is awesome. The Football footage stood out to me as a nice, if on-the-nose, bit of business. I didn't notice the score until now though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

LesterGroans posted:

This is awesome. The Football footage stood out to me as a nice, if on-the-nose, bit of business. I didn't notice the score until now though.

Exactly.

For those following at home, in addition to marking out how callous and inured the Gotham cops are, this section also explicitly compares the superhero rivalry between Batman and Superman (and to a lesser but no less important extent, Marvel vs. DC) as a team sport rivalry.

(Also, of course Superman beats Batman 58-0)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

K. Waste posted:

Lois is Clark's monument.

In general, the use of color in this movie is loving brilliant. See, also: The use of red and blue in the post-Capitol attack scene.

Man I love subtle things like this. Any more similar stuff? These are from a few pages back

and the link between the wayne murders and supermans funeral

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF4lbDxE5de/

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

McCloud posted:

Man I love subtle things like this. Any more similar stuff? These are from a few pages back

It must be too subtle for me. What am I missing?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sir Kodiak posted:

Not enough labels.

quote:

It must be too subtle for me. What am I missing?

Doomsday has a wristblade like Zod did. Also, I totally forgot Zod had one of those.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Same. I only saw the theatrical cut once so I'm excited to see some of my favorite scenes again, along with what is apparently a much stronger movie overall. I know that Batman's reveal will join the ranks of the Bane sewer fight and the Joker bank heist as a scene I watch in isolation over and over.
I like the Nolan Batman films but drat, rewatching the fight scenes really hammers home that Christian Bale is a bad punchman. Thank God Sndyer doesn't go in for that stupid Keysi poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

I like the Nolan Batman films but drat, rewatching the fight scenes really hammers home that Christian Bale is a bad punchman. Thank God Sndyer doesn't go in for that stupid Keysi poo poo.

Its really not Bale's fault, a satisfying fight scene is dependent on choreography, good direction and editing. Unless we're talking about Tony Jaa or Donnie Yen or Iko Uwais, none of these A-list actors are really that much better or worse than the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
All fights involving a man in a thick rubber suit trying to karate chop people with guns is gonna look silly.

Thats why the climactic scene in TDK is great.

• Locked thread