Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
And ending his segment by stealing a joke from Hollywood Handbook "religion causes more death then all way combined"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Zsinjeh posted:

And ending his segment by stealing a joke from Hollywood Handbook "religion causes more death then all way combined"

*points at the one person dumb enough to acknowledge his joke*

Edit: Dave Klein is mentally ill for sure.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 7, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Zsinjeh posted:

Totally should've cited that joke, Copyright WolfCool c/o Calvin and Hobbes enterprises

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Golden Bee posted:

Totally should've cited that joke, Copyright WolfCool c/o Calvin and Hobbes enterprises

It's ok Goldberg, it was nice to see you back for the 200th. In another 200 you'll have hotter Qs (quiz).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

ElCondemn posted:

It's ok Goldberg, it was nice to see you back for the 200th. In another 200 you'll have hotter Qs (quiz).

After watching a bit of the tape:
1. Those wideshots where I'm looking at my phone are rough. Shoulda printed them Q's
2. The way to succeed on Harmontown is to try as little as possible and to not need it. Everything else reads badly.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

2. The way to succeed on Harmontown is to try as little as possible and to not need it. Everything else reads badly.
Yes, duh.

And lemme tell you, you look like you care on camera.

You'll get it next time champ ;)

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Schrab is even better when you can see him on video, I had no idea. All that disruption coming from such a little package.

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

After watching a bit of the tape:
1. Those wideshots where I'm looking at my phone are rough. Shoulda printed them Q's

I apologize I should not have posted what I did. I edited that out. Again, sorry.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Dave Klein is white!?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

cwinkle posted:

I apologize I should not have posted what I did. I edited that out. Again, sorry.

I don't. Suck it, Goldberg.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Golden Bee posted:

If you can make it through anything without needing to try, you've got it made.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/FrankG_NW/status/739659402978824192

:allears:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I've been feeling like I've definitely heard enough of Dan's dumb raps lately but goddamn, that was glorious.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Holy poo poo, I'm just listening to episode 201, and Dan is being a complete rear end in a top hat. (His story about giving a bartender poo poo.) :(

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

prefect posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm just listening to episode 201, and Dan is being a complete rear end in a top hat. (His story about giving a bartender poo poo.) :(

Yeah I was with Spencer on that one.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Both people in that story are dumb, Dan for being a shithead who's super proud of himself, the bartender for not saying "look, you're the only two people in this bar and I'd really love to finish watching this game with the sound on."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah I was with Spencer on that one.

On that subject, Spencer did a pretty darn good job of comptrolling. Good for him. :cool:

(Because they don't do role-playing games any more, I was worried that they'd give Spencer the boot.)

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

prefect posted:

On that subject, Spencer did a pretty darn good job of comptrolling. Good for him. :cool:

(Because they don't do role-playing games any more, I was worried that they'd give Spencer the boot.)
Spencer has been crushing it on Great Minds (he's the highlight of the show imo) and he's probably invaluable to Harmon as his personal assistant (he drives him everywhere). I think Spencer is set for life

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

Spencer has been crushing it on Great Minds (he's the highlight of the show imo) and he's probably invaluable to Harmon as his personal assistant (he drives him everywhere). I think Spencer is set for life*

*dan's life

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

that's true. so at least for the next year or so

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I want Spencer to comptrol more because drat that was some good music choice

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
Played some D&D today for the first time, with my only real exposure to it beforehand being harmontown. It was 8 people, and I think it was too much. With that many people, it just feels like a fight to give creative input. Plus, with so many people doing so many things it's a struggle to keep up with what is going on in the campaign. I think it would be fun with 5 or less people.

I was the least autistic person playing by far (and my old therapist literally said i was a sperg and insisted i get tested), so I got some mixed reviews when I tried to inject humor into the game. And like another poster experienced earlier in the thread, I think I actually wanna do improv more than play D&D.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
That is WAaaay to many people for DnD, it gets ridiculous with more than 4 players

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The problem with most DnD is the people you find to play it with.

Find some people who are funny, know how to yes and, AND want to play and you might have a good time.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

The problem with most DnD is the people you find to play it with.

Find some people who are funny, know how to yes and, AND want to play and you might have a good time.

They weren't bad people to play with, or necessarily unfunny, some just took it a bit more seriously than I would have liked. Made me feel a bit inhibited. I'm sure they felt the inverse way about me. I mean, I was genuinely making an effort to play the game, but I would still have my character masturbate in uncalled for situations here and there. I think the amount of people was the bigger problem with my experience. A group of 3 to 4 players with a DM seems like it'd be ideal.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

They weren't bad people to play with, or necessarily unfunny, some just took it a bit more seriously than I would have liked. Made me feel a bit inhibited. I'm sure they felt the inverse way about me. I mean, I was genuinely making an effort to play the game, but I would still have my character masturbate in uncalled for situations here and there. Definitely felt like too many people. A group of 3 to 4 players with a DM seems like it'd be ideal.

Judging from Harmontown, you should probably start drinking about 45 minutes before you begin the game

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

D&D is like poker night or a dart league or something - a thin veneer of structure hung on what ultimately is an excuse to drink and chill out with your friends.

You could get very into it if you wanted to, but in my limited experience, half the time you're just bullshitting about other stuff, anyway.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Speaking of D&D, first ep is up

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I2BCY2K/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_dp_u5NFxbCDHTYAZ

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I enjoyed it

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I haven't listened to Harmontown since the movie tour, should I bother catching up? A friend said he reckoned it goes down hill from the tour onward

edit: the thought of Rob Schrabb hosted eps may just pull me back in...

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Harmontown is fine post-tour, it's when they stop doing d and d is the turning point. When Dan divorces Erin the podcast gets genuinely impossible to listen to as, if you have even an ounce of empathy, you realize that harmontown has become a way for an egotistical self-pitying alcoholic to get his lovely life decisions rationalized by redditors. Listening to him is enabling his actions and what's frustrating is he has just enough self-awareness to realize how self-destructive his life is but not enough to make any real efforts to change.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I for one really enjoyed most of the post-Erin, no-D&D era, especially the stretch where Schrab was there every week. The crazy improv parts are probably my favorite thing in the show's history.

Toxxupation posted:

you realize that harmontown has become a way for an egotistical self-pitying alcoholic to get his lovely life decisions rationalized by redditors.
This is hardly a new development, let alone a post-divorce one.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

The show post-divorce varies wildly and can be salvaged every now and then by great guests. Once he started building up a stable of great guests again (and of course loving Schrab) its become pretty drat great again.

Also anyone got a # on the ep where they do that weird 1hr long improv with worm people and John the Lawnmower guy?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Episode 135 - Wide

It's the best, so I keep coming back to it over and over. The "musical journey" starts at 1:18:30.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Dan is very frustrating when he uses "smart/dumb" instead of "good/evil". Also, I would gladly listen to a Dan-Jeff-Spencer show even when there aren't any guests; there's no need to bring randoms from the audience on stage.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

prefect posted:

Dan is very frustrating when he uses "smart/dumb" instead of "good/evil". Also, I would gladly listen to a Dan-Jeff-Spencer show even when there aren't any guests; there's no need to bring randoms from the audience on stage.

Yeah I really wish they would realize how utterly uninteresting most of their audience is. Nobody is paying ten dollars to hear some rando talk about snapchat filters

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I feel like they think they're doing something nice for the fans when they do that, but it's really only nice for those few shameless attention seekers. For all of us, it just makes the show worse.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

You are really going to hate this episode. Even if you're fine with audience guests, this one will drain you

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

CPColin posted:

Episode 135 - Wide

It's the best, so I keep coming back to it over and over. The "musical journey" starts at 1:18:30.
I only remembered the MC John parts (he's here to mow the lawn) but not the other 30 minutes of crazy poo poo about starchildren, magic trees, panic room windows and the worm kingdom. Dan should really do MDMA more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

if he theoretically took an ecstatic like substance