Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Yeah, startle response is a pretty universal thing to do when WHAT OH GOD poo poo IS HAPPENING gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DrBouvenstein posted:

Always check that a water tank is empty before you lift it with a crane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm2ihqpb70o

Points for effort to that one guy for leaping onto the foot of the crane to try and hold it down but what the gently caress was he thinking??

The same with the guys in the tree videos I posted who tried to manhandle the falling tree away from their house/car/fence, I guess it's also a type of startle response and they just reacted without thinking.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I hope they at least bought that guy a new pair of pants

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Mozi posted:

I may not know how to fall a tree, but I think now I know how not to fall a tree.
I think one of the most important and underrated skills is knowing how easy it is to gently caress something up, and thus how important it is to either hire an expert or pay very close attention to doing it right.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DrBouvenstein posted:

Why didn't they stop when the boom started VISIBLY BENDING :staredog:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
One of the related videos had the same crane incident from a different angle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7czkZyhqzG8

Alereon posted:

I think one of the most important and underrated skills is knowing how easy it is to gently caress something up, and thus how important it is to either hire an expert or pay very close attention to doing it right.

I strongly suspect that a lot of these people grew up watching cartoons where cut trees slowly fell neatly and gracefully to earth with a resounding crash and they're completely unaware how insanely dangerous it can be. If someone had handed me a chainsaw 10 years ago and told me to have a go I have no doubt I would have jumped right in, if they asked me today there's no way I'd try unless it was a really small tree.

Over in the PYF Schadenfreude thread we've seen a whole bunch of related phenomena, often based around youtube challenges. There's dozens and dozens of kids who have squirted oil all over their bodies and lit themselves on fire because they just weren't aware how incredibly dumb that is.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DrBouvenstein posted:

If something had caught on fire they'd have had a perfect hat trick.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

So, say you're in that situation but you realize just as you pull the tank off the tower that you forgot to empty it. What do you do? Going up there to either open the tank valve or try to reattach it to the tower seems suicidal. But you can't swing it out of the way without tipping the crane.

Would you try to shoot the tank with a machine-gun or something and let it drain overnight?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

And this is why I don't stop to tie my shoes when walking.. you never know.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

So, say you're in that situation but you realize just as you pull the tank off the tower that you forgot to empty it. What do you do? Going up there to either open the tank valve or try to reattach it to the tower seems suicidal. But you can't swing it out of the way without tipping the crane.

Would you try to shoot the tank with a machine-gun or something and let it drain overnight?

You'd do whatever the boss tells you to because you live in a hell-hole without functioning labour unions and it's your livelihood on the line. You can't win.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerry Cotton posted:

You'd do whatever the boss tells you to because you live in a hell-hole without functioning labour unions and it's your livelihood on the line. You can't win.

When the crane operator popped the tank off the supports and the boom started bending his very first thought was probably "Oh poo poo, I bet they're gonna take this out of my pay"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm still loving with the dude that thinks.. OH this big rear end crane with outriggers and counterweights etc is starting to tip, let me try and haul it down and weigh it down with my puny human body.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

tater_salad posted:

But what if stopping to tie your shoes also stops you from walking under something like that?

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

yes the startle response is pretty standard when one is startled, I find

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SpacePig posted:

But what if stopping to tie your shoes also stops you from walking under something like that?

oh god what have you done, now what do I do?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

When the crane operator popped the tank off the supports and the boom started bending his very first thought was probably "Oh poo poo, I bet they're gonna take this out of my pay"

Actually it's "I wish I had seized the means of production while I was still not dying!"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

tater_salad posted:

SpacePig posted:

My first thought as well.

tater_salad posted:

oh god what have you done, now what do I do?

Dehumanize yourself and face to certain death. :rip::unsmigghh::rip:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

This is Death just loving with this guy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Don't start nothing won't be nothing. :boom:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

MariusLecter posted:

This is Death just loving with this guy.

Looks like right at the end the guy falls on the mattress.

"You need to go to bed... NOW!"

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Burning_Monk posted:

Looks like right at the end the guy falls on the mattress.

"You need to go to bed... NOW!"

Exactly. "Haha psyche! had you going there didn't I? Next time will be for real though lol."

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://gfycat.com/NeatEmptyGnatcatcher.mp4

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 30, 2016

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Holy poo poo that guys screams at the end. That's gotta be two broken legs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It still there? It's still there. I'll just hang around here for a while then.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

ugliest Sith Lord ever

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Karma Monkey posted:

ugliest Sith Lord ever

At least the Empire is taking OSHA seriously after the Death Star debacle.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
So what happens when a police department runs out of money to pay for workmans comp and whatnot? Absolutely nothing.

Officer Brooks says he’s stuck with over a hundred thousand dollars in medical bills from his crash because Kinloch has no worker’s comp. He’s worried about drivers on the highway who could encounter a Kinloch police car. Kinloch’s police chief K.O. Williams says it’s just the way it is.

I asked him, “The city has no insurance? (The chief nodded his head acknowledging that’s correct)

“No workers comp?” I asked. Chief acknowledged, correct.

I pointed, “Those vehicles aren’t insured?” He shook his head they are not.

I asked, “Not registered?”

The chief answered, “No, That’s the information that we have, yes sir.”

I followed up, “What if there’s a family driving down I-70 and one of your vehicles popped a lug nut and caused a crash?”

Williams answered, “I mean, I could ‘what if’ a thousand different scenarios. We hope nothing like that happens, but again when you throw scenarios like that anything’s possible.”

I followed up, “But without insurance, that family could be devastated by injuries and not be able to recuperate any loss.”

Chief Williams answered, “I guess that’s always a possibility.”

Williams says Kinloch just doesn’t have the money because it was stolen by previous leaders.

I asked, “So you could still hold somebody else to follow the law, but you can’t because you don’t have the money?”

Williams: “Well, I think that it’s important that everyone follows the law, whether it’s the police department, whether it’s the citizen on the street, uhm, I think the policeman on the street always has judgment or discretion.”

Chief Williams says they`re now asking for the public`s discretion to let them work with what they have. I've contacted four different state agencies to see who might enforce the law on Kinloch and so far found no one who said they would take action. We`ll stay on this story as we continue to demand answers about how a police department can work above the law in a way that appears to threaten the public.

http://fox2now.com/2016/06/29/st-louis-area-police-department-has-no-insurance-no-registration-and-no-apologies/

Bonus civil rights violation : http://fox2now.com/2016/06/30/fox-2-reporter-placed-in-handcuffs-for-attempting-to-cover-city-meeting/

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tourist dies in Machu Picchu taking photo

quote:

The body of a German tourist has been recovered from a ravine after he fell while visiting the ancient site of Machu Picchu in the Peruvian Andes.

Oliver Park, 51, ignored safety signs and warnings from wardens and went into a restricted area close to the edge of a cliff on Wednesday, officials say.

They say he tried to pose for a photograph of himself leaping as if in flight but lost his footing.

Rescuers found the body on Thursday and took it to a local police station.

Police said his body would be taken to a morgue in the city of Cusco.

Darwin claims another victim.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Mozi posted:

I may not know how to fall a tree, but I think now I know how not to fall a tree.

Anti-Schadenfreude re:OSHA. I hired a man to cut a tree last winter that was about 60 feet tall and 4 feet from my house. He did so safely, and went home at the end of the day without issue for about 1/2 what I expected to pay. Rare to find someone who just does a good job and nothing else.

Apropos of nothing, I used to live and work around bears all the time up in Greaney, MN. The bears were always cool if you knew them but everyone I show this video to feels like it's unsafe. What can a guy do? I never had trouble...

I used to have to weed-whip around a few of Vince's bears at a resort that I did grounds-keeping for as a kid. I was required to shoo or work around bears. They were all nice and were happy to get out of the way when asked. We never fed them, they just liked the resort. They had a pretty cool spot to sit on the canoes.

Vince on WCCO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSz4Y-LVk4I

Vince was a good guy and I miss him and I miss Duffy (if you know who that is, awesome!) Vince's bears were my friends back when I was in high school.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009

mostlygray posted:

Anti-Schadenfreude re:OSHA. I hired a man to cut a tree last winter that was about 60 feet tall and 4 feet from my house. He did so safely, and went home at the end of the day without issue for about 1/2 what I expected to pay. Rare to find someone who just does a good job and nothing else.

Apropos of nothing, I used to live and work around bears all the time up in Greaney, MN. The bears were always cool if you knew them but everyone I show this video to feels like it's unsafe. What can a guy do? I never had trouble...

I used to have to weed-whip around a few of Vince's bears at a resort that I did grounds-keeping for as a kid. I was required to shoo or work around bears. They were all nice and were happy to get out of the way when asked. We never fed them, they just liked the resort. They had a pretty cool spot to sit on the canoes.

Vince on WCCO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSz4Y-LVk4I

Vince was a good guy and I miss him and I miss Duffy (if you know who that is, awesome!) Vince's bears were my friends back when I was in high school.

That male commentator at the end...

:smugmrgw::j:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sticky Date posted:

That male commentator at the end...

:smugmrgw::j:

What the gently caress... he just stares at his co-host for a good twenty seconds.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Not going anywhere for awhile? Grab a Snickers!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Worker dies in fall at UVM Construction site.

quote:

UVM Police Chief Lianne Tuomey later told the Burlington Free Press that the man had fallen from the top floor of the seven-floor structure — about 75 feet above the ground. The man had been wearing a harness, and it was removed before the man was brought to the University of Vermont Medical Center in Burlington. The man was pronounced dead at the hospital, Tuomey said.

Right, he was totally wearing a harness, we just took it of of him for no reason before he went to the hospital.

I'm guessing that they might have even just brought him over to the ER themselves, considering it's literally across the parking lot from the construction site:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

The body has to go back on the passenger train since there are no roads from anywhere to Aguas Calientes, which is at the base of Machu Picchu.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Right, he was totally wearing a harness, we just took it of of him for no reason before he went to the hospital.

I'm guessing that they might have even just brought him over to the ER themselves, considering it's literally across the parking lot from the construction site:

Wow, literally next to Fletcher. As crazy as Burlington is, I miss it everyday. I wish I had a better memory for the obviously unsafe/illegal poo poo I saw nearly everyday from college students as well as campus staff.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DrBouvenstein posted:

Its a fairly common cheat to harness up but not tie off figuring a supervisor or inspecter will think "oh he's got a harness on" and not try to visually reckon a tie off point.

Its also too common for people just to tie off to dumb poo poo that won't actually hold them if they fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z14eD9f-_Y